Topic Wiki

IF YOUR OBI NEEDS UPDATES SEE HERE

See here for some good tutorials on setting up the Obi.

You can switch your current landline number into a Google Voice account to retain your phone number on a free Obi phone line.
To port your landline to GV:
  • Get ahold of an old Page Plus or Verizon cell phone that isn't being used. Port your existing landline to Page Plus for free through their website.
  • Fill out the port form and put in your landline number and the old PP cell phone's ESN or MEID number (from under the battery) and wait a couple of days for it to go through. You will know that the port is complete, when dialing your landline rings on the cell phone.
  • Once the account is active, buy $10 worth of minutes from PagePlus in order to receive the verification call from GV.
  • Now you can initiate the GV port. It's a good idea to open a new Gmail account. You can then setup all emails that come to that account (all the voicemails notifications) to be forwarded to your main Gmail account. Login to GV from the new account and port in your number. It will cost $20, and you will get an email when the port to GV is complete.
Using the above method will only have incoming Caller ID numbers, not names. If you want names as well, follow these steps:
  • Go to https://www.callcentric.com/, click Products, then click the yellow Get A Number button next to Free Phone Number.
  • Use the tool on the left to pick an area code, then order the number. It doesn’t have to be something memorable, because no one will ever have to dial it.
  • When it asks if you’re in US/Canada, either select Yes to use their E911 service, or No if you want to use something else. Callcentric setup is free, plus $1.50/mo if you want E911 services. See below for more details.
  • After you receive a confirmation email from Callcentric with your new account info, go to obitalk.com, and log into your Obi. Click SP2, scroll down to OBiTALK Compatible Service Providers, then click Next. Follow the prompts to link your Callcentric account. In the box that says Callcentric Number, enter the 1777 number you got in the email. Uncheck Primary Line for Outgoing Calls and 911.
  • Open Google Voice, go into Settings, and add a forwarding phone. Enter the real phone number you got in the email from Callcentric. Google will call it to confirm; it should ring on your Obi. Answer it and enter the code shown by GV.
  • Uncheck forward to Google Chat.
  • Log into your Callcentric account. Click Preferences. Under General, enable Caller ID with name (Inbound calls). (You can also change the maximum call duration, and unlist yourself from the directory).
or this for a $5 one time fee.
https://simonics.com/gw/?promo=nerdvittles

If you’re not using Callcentric, you have to set up SP3 in Obi settings to point to your E911 provider’s account.
E911 providers:
Callcentric$18/year ($1.50/mo) + $1.50 setup
Anveo$15/year
http://www.gv911.com/$12/year
http://www.bulkvs.com/e911.html$8.64/year ($0.72/mo)

If you want the SP2 to ring like the standard US ringtone:
go to obi expert config, then to voice service, select sp2, and change it to this:
X_ServProvProfile B
X_RingProfile   A
X_CodecProfile   A

You can add your CID http://www.listyourself.net/ListYourself/listing.jsp?ID=new
and check your CID http://who.scalling.com/411/

Author Topic: OBi Master Thread  (Read 359951 times)

Online smurf

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
All ported over and good to go :)

Thanks smurf!!
NP
Question;
Is pageplus listed with GV as a port option or do you still have to select verizon?

Offline bubbles

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 67
    • View Profile
NP
Question;
Is pageplus listed with GV as a port option or do you still have to select verizon?

i didnt have to select anything. i just typed in the number and they said its eligible for porting

Online smurf

• View Profile
i didnt have to select anything. i just typed in the number and they said its eligible for porting
Cool, so they've made it eaiser since I did it

Offline bubbles

• View Profile
Cool, so they've made it eaiser since I did it

on the phone with optimum right now. cancelled the phone and got them to come down $25 on the internet not to cancel that too  :)

Online smurf

• View Profile
on the phone with optimum right now. cancelled the phone and got them to come down $25 on the internet not to cancel that too  :)
Very nicely done

Offline bubbles

• View Profile
now how do I go about hooking it up to my phone jack? I found this
FWIU the Obi will work this way but you must make sure there's no voltage coming in on the jack or you'll fry your Obi. You should make sure your phone wiring isn't connected to the phone company's lines (even if there's no service) as that'll cause voltage on the internal phone wiring of your home.
but not sure how to do that. I had optimum until now

Offline Nitantnel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: OBi 110 question!!!
« Reply #166 on: December 29, 2011, 10:38:57 PM »
Would a good router enhance the obi's performance? Any suggestions for one?

Offline Name Changed

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Avis Presidents Club, National Executive Elite, Hertz Presidents Circle, Sixt Platinum, SPG Gold, eBay Platinum
« Reply #167 on: December 29, 2011, 10:44:30 PM »
Would a good router enhance the obi's performance? Any suggestions for one?
Yes, Very possibly.
What internet service do u have?

Offline Nitantnel

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: December 29, 2011, 10:49:31 PM »
cable.

Offline zale

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
obi: 911 or no?
« Reply #169 on: December 30, 2011, 12:36:03 AM »
I have searched through the obi forums and have seen various opinions whether 911 will work with Google voice on the obi or not.

The general consensus is that e911 certainly won't work, but there has been no conclusion as to whether 911 will work AT ALL.

Unfortunately, there is no way for me to test this out, as it is a crime to call 911 if there is no emergency.

If 911 indeed does not work, then I will have you know that this is extraordinarily dangerous, for a number of reasons:

• 911 is an easy number to remember, while long 11-digit numbers like Hatzolah are difficult, especially when in a time of panic
  • Someone in your household trying to call 911 with your phone to no avail may kill precious, life saving moments.

A Google search has not yielded a clear answer for me, but I have learnt the following:

• There may be a way to program the Obi so that 911 routes to a local emergency number. (Not sure where to find this though. If anyone has a list of local emergency dispatch numbers in NY, please share)
  • There may be a way to pay for e911 service (for about $1.50/month). But once again, this may be confusing to set up

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

[/list]

Offline elikay

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: obi: 911 or no?
« Reply #170 on: December 30, 2011, 12:53:34 AM »
There is some gadget/addon that you can use for 911 on GV I don't remember where I saw it. GIYF

Offline Name Changed

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Avis Presidents Club, National Executive Elite, Hertz Presidents Circle, Sixt Platinum, SPG Gold, eBay Platinum
« Reply #171 on: December 30, 2011, 08:12:42 AM »
Here is the list of obi recommended routers.

Offline Nitantnel

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: December 30, 2011, 09:23:32 AM »
Tnx, the link though doesn't appear to be working

Offline bubkiz

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: December 30, 2011, 09:39:58 AM »
You can also keep an old cell phone that had service which will work for 911.

Offline zale

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: December 30, 2011, 10:28:16 AM »
You can also keep an old cell phone that had service which will work for 911.

Hmm... Why didn't I think of that?????

Cell phone? Riiiiiight!

And you will make sure that your old cellphone is charged and powered on at all times? Because you most certainly are aware, that just powering on the phone can take up to a minute, right?

Oh, and I am sure the babysitter will know exactly where you keep the "old cellphone", just in case there's an emergency.

Also, were you aware, that in certain disaster situations, cell phones become totally unreliable. For example, there was NO cell service this past summer in NYC just after the little earthquake. (I was able to make calls over Google Voice on my computer though).

Sorry that I am being very harsh on your comment, but iv'e seen that same comment from many people, and clearly, nobody has though this through. You need to understand that while an old cellphone is a good backup for emergencies, there is clearly nothing that can replace a solid landline phone.

You should NEVER have a phone that cannot dial 911.

Offline elikay

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: December 30, 2011, 11:52:52 AM »
Your internet connection is IMHO less reliable for 911 especially when you have to rely on GV, Obi and your ISP.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: December 30, 2011, 12:19:09 PM »
Your internet connection is IMHO less reliable for 911 especially when you have to rely on GV, Obi and your ISP.
And you will make sure that your old cellphone is charged and powered on at all times? Because you most certainly are aware, that just powering on the phone can take up to a minute, right?

Oh, and I am sure the babysitter will know exactly where you keep the "old cellphone", just in case there's an emergency.

Also, were you aware, that in certain disaster situations, cell phones become totally unreliable. For example, there was NO cell service this past summer in NYC just after the little earthquake. (I was able to make calls over Google Voice on my computer though).

Why not have both GV/Obi and a Cellphone, and instruct the babysitter on both.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline zale

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: December 30, 2011, 12:50:26 PM »
Why not have both GV/Obi and a Cellphone, and instruct the babysitter on both.

Or better yet, why not just hire a 24 hour paramedic and security guard, and then you won't need any phones at all!

To elikay: when talking about actual downtime, you are probably right. Between the modem, router and obi, you will probably have more downtime than your cell service overall. (Though both will be very minimal)

However, the main issue is not the downtime. The issue is that a landline phone is always docked in one area of the house, be it the kitchen, bedroom or other. And, it is powered by a cord, so is therefore always on.

A cellphone, on the other hand, is NOT. A cellphone can get lost anywhere and everywhere, and the battery can and WILL die. Not only that, but your battery charger can (and probably will) also get lost. (The response that "you can keep it charging at all times" is meaningless, because first of all, you will not do that, and secondly, a cell phone is not meant to be charging at all times, and it may kill the battery)

Even a cordless phone is more reliable in this respect, although it too can get lost.

Of course, nothing beats a solid, standard telephone line from a phone company (not a cable company) with a standard CORDED phone. A standard telephone line has its OWN power, so even in the event of a blackout, it will still work. (Cable phone relies on the modem, which relies on power from the wall. You can buy a battery for your cable modem, but it will only last about 10 hours) But even VOIP is a step above a cell phone.

Just trying to share some common sense here. I think those of you who have cellphones know how often you have a hard time finding it, or how often the battery is completely dead. (Oh, and how many of you power off your cellphones for Shabbos?)

Offline MarkS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: December 30, 2011, 01:27:53 PM »
How about in an effort to save lives, you call 911 and when they pick up say ' I'm sorry, I called by mistake' and then hang up?

I doubt you will get in any trouble with the law and you will be doing many a big service!!!

Offline bubbles

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: December 30, 2011, 01:30:38 PM »
How about in an effort to save lives, you call 911 and when they pick up say ' I'm sorry, I called by mistake' and then hang up?

I doubt you will get in any trouble with the law and you will be doing many a big service!!!

or you can just call and say you were programming a new phone or how about a novel approach, call and say that you wanted to make sure your new obi box that runs off of gv can call 911?