Topic Wiki

IF YOUR OBI NEEDS UPDATES SEE HERE

See here for some good tutorials on setting up the Obi.

You can switch your current landline number into a Google Voice account to retain your phone number on a free Obi phone line.
To port your landline to GV:
  • Get ahold of an old Page Plus or Verizon cell phone that isn't being used. Port your existing landline to Page Plus for free through their website.
  • Fill out the port form and put in your landline number and the old PP cell phone's ESN or MEID number (from under the battery) and wait a couple of days for it to go through. You will know that the port is complete, when dialing your landline rings on the cell phone.
  • Once the account is active, buy $10 worth of minutes from PagePlus in order to receive the verification call from GV.
  • Now you can initiate the GV port. It's a good idea to open a new Gmail account. You can then setup all emails that come to that account (all the voicemails notifications) to be forwarded to your main Gmail account. Login to GV from the new account and port in your number. It will cost $20, and you will get an email when the port to GV is complete.
Using the above method will only have incoming Caller ID numbers, not names. If you want names as well, follow these steps:
  • Go to https://www.callcentric.com/, click Products, then click the yellow Get A Number button next to Free Phone Number.
  • Use the tool on the left to pick an area code, then order the number. It doesn’t have to be something memorable, because no one will ever have to dial it.
  • When it asks if you’re in US/Canada, either select Yes to use their E911 service, or No if you want to use something else. Callcentric setup is free, plus $1.50/mo if you want E911 services. See below for more details.
  • After you receive a confirmation email from Callcentric with your new account info, go to obitalk.com, and log into your Obi. Click SP2, scroll down to OBiTALK Compatible Service Providers, then click Next. Follow the prompts to link your Callcentric account. In the box that says Callcentric Number, enter the 1777 number you got in the email. Uncheck Primary Line for Outgoing Calls and 911.
  • Open Google Voice, go into Settings, and add a forwarding phone. Enter the real phone number you got in the email from Callcentric. Google will call it to confirm; it should ring on your Obi. Answer it and enter the code shown by GV.
  • Uncheck forward to Google Chat.
  • Log into your Callcentric account. Click Preferences. Under General, enable Caller ID with name (Inbound calls). (You can also change the maximum call duration, and unlist yourself from the directory).
or this for a $5 one time fee.
https://simonics.com/gw/?promo=nerdvittles

If you’re not using Callcentric, you have to set up SP3 in Obi settings to point to your E911 provider’s account.
E911 providers:
Callcentric$18/year ($1.50/mo) + $1.50 setup
Anveo$15/year
http://www.gv911.com/$12/year
http://www.bulkvs.com/e911.html$8.64/year ($0.72/mo)

If you want the SP2 to ring like the standard US ringtone:
go to obi expert config, then to voice service, select sp2, and change it to this:
X_ServProvProfile B
X_RingProfile   A
X_CodecProfile   A

You can add your CID http://www.listyourself.net/ListYourself/listing.jsp?ID=new
and check your CID http://who.scalling.com/411/

Author Topic: OBi Master Thread  (Read 355312 times)

Offline elihak7

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: OBi 110
« Reply #1160 on: June 28, 2018, 02:42:31 PM »
Hi, Im in Israel, my obi stopped working with google voice, they contact me that google voice is having problems in this region and they're working on it it might take another couple of days or weeks..., meanwhile im without a phone any advice what service provider works with obi in israel and is free or very cheap?
Tia

Offline Yehudaa

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 111
    • View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: June 28, 2018, 03:28:25 PM »

Hi, Im in Israel, my obi stopped working with google voice, they contact me that google voice is having problems in this region and they're working on it it might take another couple of days or weeks..., meanwhile im without a phone any advice what service provider works with obi in israel and is free or very cheap?
Tia

I'm in Israel and my Obi is working just fine with Google Voice.

That being said, it you're Obi is broken and you're looking to buy a new one, I have an extra one that I'm looking to sell. Located in Jerusalem. PM me if you're interested.

Offline elihak7

• View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: June 28, 2018, 03:31:54 PM »

I'm in Israel and my Obi is working just fine with Google Voice.

That being said, it you're Obi is broken and you're looking to buy a new one, I have an extra one that I'm looking to sell. Located in Jerusalem. PM me if you're interested.
I spoke to obi and they know there are some that are working but still some are having problems, so with that being said my obi is working well and passed all the tests..  but good luck on selling your obi...

Offline Yehudaa

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 111
    • View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: June 28, 2018, 03:42:46 PM »
I spoke to obi and they know there are some that are working but still some are having problems, so with that being said my obi is working well and passed all the tests..  but good luck on selling your obi...
No problem. Just out of curiosity, how is an Obi's functionality affected by what region you're in? Doesn't your Obi just need to be connected to the internet and then Obi/Google Voice work the same from everywhere in the world?

Offline elihak7

• View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: June 28, 2018, 04:30:32 PM »
No problem. Just out of curiosity, how is an Obi's functionality affected by what region you're in? Doesn't your Obi just need to be connected to the internet and then Obi/Google Voice work the same from everywhere in the world?
I guess its the internet obi is using.., really dont know thats just what obi told me.

Offline itunes

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: June 28, 2018, 09:58:52 PM »
anyone running this firmware successfully on obi 110: http://www.obifirmware.com/ ?

Offline av83

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: August 07, 2018, 12:57:22 PM »
i have the obi 200 for 2 years every so often it woud loose connection(no dial tone) i would disconnect and reconnect the power adapter and it would be fine. recently this is happeneing very frequently as often as a few times per day. anyone have this issue/ where does the problem lie? thanks

Offline etech0

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #1167 on: August 09, 2018, 08:15:15 PM »
my phone stopped working a few days ago, the power and internet lights are green but the phone light is flashing green. Obi's support website is telling me to put the phone into the DMZ settings of my router. I found how to do that (I'm using FIOS) but how do I know what IP Address to choose?
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline Cholentfresser

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: August 10, 2018, 03:14:36 AM »
My Obi100 stopped working a while ago, and I just got a Obi200. I set up GV, and it's working fine. Looking through the wiki, I may be missing something.. Why would I need callcentric when I can just use GV on its own?
Is callcentric just for E911?
In order to understand recursion, you first need to understand recursion.

Offline kayef

• View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: August 10, 2018, 07:48:22 AM »
My Obi100 stopped working a while ago, and I just got a Obi200. I set up GV, and it's working fine. Looking through the wiki, I may be missing something.. Why would I need callcentric when I can just use GV on its own?
Is callcentric just for E911?
That and incoming caller ID

Offline Cholentfresser

• View Profile
« Reply #1170 on: August 10, 2018, 11:56:20 AM »
That and incoming caller ID
Gotcha.
It says in the wiki "Uncheck Primary Line for Outgoing Calls and 911." Wouldn't I want to have that checked to use callcentric for 911?

Offline kayef

• View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: August 11, 2018, 10:21:03 PM »
Gotcha.
It says in the wiki "Uncheck Primary Line for Outgoing Calls and 911." Wouldn't I want to have that checked to use callcentric for 911?
There are separate check boxes for Outgoing calls and 911 calls

Offline Definitions

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: August 12, 2018, 02:27:51 AM »
Would connecting a obi200 directly to a phone jack in a house make all phone jacks connect to the obi?
My Tapatalk notifications don't always work.

Offline pcgeek

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: August 12, 2018, 07:29:11 AM »
Would connecting a obi200 directly to a phone jack in a house make all phone jacks connect to the obi?
Yes

Offline kayef

• View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: August 12, 2018, 09:59:38 AM »
iirc you have to make sure you’re disconnected from the phone providers box outside your house.

Offline pcgeek

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: August 12, 2018, 02:21:32 PM »
iirc you have to make sure you’re disconnected from the phone providers box outside your house.
+1 otherwise you will have 2 signals

Offline Cholentfresser

• View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: August 12, 2018, 05:57:18 PM »
If I follow the instructions in the wiki and have GV forward to callcentric, would I still get the GV rates on international calls? I'd assume not, since outgoing calls are going through callcentric, no?
I currently have SP1 on GV and SP2 only for 911 on callcentric. Is callerID name the only thing I'm missing out in this set up?

Offline Cholentfresser

• View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: August 12, 2018, 06:50:39 PM »
If I follow the instructions in the wiki and have GV forward to callcentric, would I still get the GV rates on international calls? I'd assume not, since outgoing calls are going through callcentric, no?
To answer my own question (in case anyone else has similar question): SP1 is set to GV and is the main line for outgoing calls besides 911. SP2 is set to callcentric for 911 as well as for all incoming calls. This gets you names in called ID on incoming calls.

Offline kayef

• View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: August 12, 2018, 07:07:08 PM »
To answer my own question (in case anyone else has similar question): SP1 is set to GV and is the main line for outgoing calls besides 911. SP2 is set to callcentric for 911 as well as for all incoming calls. This gets you names in called ID on incoming calls.
By default sp2 has a different ring than sp1. Others have mentioned a way to change it. Personally, I have Callcentric on Sp1 and GV on sp2

Offline Cholentfresser

• View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: August 12, 2018, 07:10:11 PM »
They're both ringing the same for me. Maybe because I have sp2 set to forward to sp1.