Topic Wiki

IF YOUR OBI NEEDS UPDATES SEE HERE

See here for some good tutorials on setting up the Obi.

You can switch your current landline number into a Google Voice account to retain your phone number on a free Obi phone line.
To port your landline to GV:
  • Get ahold of an old Page Plus or Verizon cell phone that isn't being used. Port your existing landline to Page Plus for free through their website.
  • Fill out the port form and put in your landline number and the old PP cell phone's ESN or MEID number (from under the battery) and wait a couple of days for it to go through. You will know that the port is complete, when dialing your landline rings on the cell phone.
  • Once the account is active, buy $10 worth of minutes from PagePlus in order to receive the verification call from GV.
  • Now you can initiate the GV port. It's a good idea to open a new Gmail account. You can then setup all emails that come to that account (all the voicemails notifications) to be forwarded to your main Gmail account. Login to GV from the new account and port in your number. It will cost $20, and you will get an email when the port to GV is complete.
Using the above method will only have incoming Caller ID numbers, not names. If you want names as well, follow these steps:
  • Go to https://www.callcentric.com/, click Products, then click the yellow Get A Number button next to Free Phone Number.
  • Use the tool on the left to pick an area code, then order the number. It doesn’t have to be something memorable, because no one will ever have to dial it.
  • When it asks if you’re in US/Canada, either select Yes to use their E911 service, or No if you want to use something else. Callcentric setup is free, plus $1.50/mo if you want E911 services. See below for more details.
  • After you receive a confirmation email from Callcentric with your new account info, go to obitalk.com, and log into your Obi. Click SP2, scroll down to OBiTALK Compatible Service Providers, then click Next. Follow the prompts to link your Callcentric account. In the box that says Callcentric Number, enter the 1777 number you got in the email. Uncheck Primary Line for Outgoing Calls and 911.
  • Open Google Voice, go into Settings, and add a forwarding phone. Enter the real phone number you got in the email from Callcentric. Google will call it to confirm; it should ring on your Obi. Answer it and enter the code shown by GV.
  • Uncheck forward to Google Chat.
  • Log into your Callcentric account. Click Preferences. Under General, enable Caller ID with name (Inbound calls). (You can also change the maximum call duration, and unlist yourself from the directory).
or this for a $5 one time fee.
https://simonics.com/gw/?promo=nerdvittles

If you’re not using Callcentric, you have to set up SP3 in Obi settings to point to your E911 provider’s account.
E911 providers:
Callcentric$18/year ($1.50/mo) + $1.50 setup
Anveo$15/year
http://www.gv911.com/$12/year
http://www.bulkvs.com/e911.html$8.64/year ($0.72/mo)

If you want the SP2 to ring like the standard US ringtone:
go to obi expert config, then to voice service, select sp2, and change it to this:
X_ServProvProfile B
X_RingProfile   A
X_CodecProfile   A

You can add your CID http://www.listyourself.net/ListYourself/listing.jsp?ID=new
and check your CID http://who.scalling.com/411/

Author Topic: OBi Master Thread  (Read 355653 times)

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
Re: OBi Master Thread
« Reply #1480 on: May 10, 2020, 01:28:59 AM »
400Mbps should be fast enough to support them all? I sure hope so!
I mean the switch. Make sure it is 10/100/1000
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
« Reply #1481 on: May 10, 2020, 01:29:59 AM »
Oh ok will do.
 Will look for such specifications when looking for a switch.
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline yesitsme

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1482 on: May 10, 2020, 01:32:08 AM »
How can I determine that?
And that would keep the speed the same across all devices?
you should be able to see it in task manager
how old is your PC?
["-"]

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #1483 on: May 10, 2020, 01:35:05 AM »
how old is your PC?
Fairly new.

Dell OptiPlex 7040.
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #1484 on: May 10, 2020, 03:47:11 AM »
how old is your PC?
I edited my post.

Thank you all, everything worked out amazing.

Set up my Obi202 with 2 new handsets from Amazon with a headphone jack capability and enabled the voicemail as well that I can call from the connected lines to see the voicemails , not that I need it, but was a cool feature to see that it works.

Now my next project is to see if I can work out something that will show who's calling, besides for those in my Google contacts or on my handset phone book.

The process was pretty straightforward, and if I had a question I came here or did a quick Google search.
 Anyone who wants to set this up can if they want, not complicated at all.

Now we got to wait till Monday to put these new lines in use for the conference calls.
 If need be will add $10 to each account should they not work with the conference numbers.

And ordered two 2.5 to 3.5 headphone jack converters for the little ones to use to be able to connect a headset to the phone.
   As well the 2 handsets I ordered from Amazon were Amazon warehouse refurbished, one was brand new, while the other it looked like someone used for a day and returned.
 Don't need better, so why not save a few bucks.

Wrote in detail in case it's useful for someone else vs reading through all the pages in this thread!
 Thanks again guys!

Offline JunkYardUnz

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1485 on: May 10, 2020, 06:38:03 AM »

And ordered two 2.5 to 3.5 headphone jack converters for the little ones to use to be able to connect a headset to the phone.
[/quote]

Not sure if you ordered the item I posted above, but that adapter didn’t really work. One set of earbuds gave a screeching sound and folks were unable to hear me, the other that didn’t have a mic worked but I couldn’t figure a way to have the other party hearing me other than to unplug it.... please let me know what works for you.

For now I ordered a Panasonic headset from
Amazon for $19.99. Weird part was, they limited the quantity to one. Will let you know how it plays out. With the slow shipping these days, by the time I’m all set up school will be over.

Offline kayef

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: May 10, 2020, 10:10:54 AM »
Thank you all, everything worked out amazing.

Now my next project is to see if I can work out something that will show who's calling, besides for those in my Google contacts or on my handset phone book.

Check the Wiki. You can get Incoming Caller ID by routing incoming calls through CallCentric.

In case you're still looking for a switch - https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-8-Port-Gigabit-Ethernet-Unmanaged/dp/B07PFYM5MZ/ref=sr_1_3?crid=95CUWKOGX21B&dchild=1&keywords=gigabit+switch&qid=1589119528&sprefix=giga%2Caps%2C232&sr=8-3

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: May 10, 2020, 10:30:43 AM »
Check the Wiki. You can get Incoming Caller ID by routing incoming calls through CallCentric.

In case you're still looking for a switch - https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-8-Port-Gigabit-Ethernet-Unmanaged/dp/B07PFYM5MZ/
Thanks. What does that cost while routing calls through call centric for incoming caller ID?

Any reason to get one with one of these features? Or for regular home use, there's no use for it?

Style:

•Router
•Unmanaged
•Smart Managed
• L2 Managed

Not sure if you ordered the item I posted above, but that adapter didn’t really work. One set of earbuds gave a screeching sound and folks were unable to hear me, the other that didn’t have a mic worked but I couldn’t figure a way to have the other party hearing me other than to unplug it.... please let me know what works for you.

Amazon for $19.99. Weird part was, they limited the quantity to one. Will let you know how it plays out. With the slow shipping these days, by the time I’m all set up school will be over.
Thanks for the heads-up, will play around with that and see what works.
 Didn't spend much on the adapter/converter.
 And they had the headphones already, so didn't waste any money on that.

Curios if there's a setting to allow mic use from the phone while using the headset just to listen?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 11:23:51 AM by myi »

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: May 10, 2020, 10:44:26 AM »
IDK if this helps anyone, but some cordless phones include bluetooth, which could be an option instead of a headphone jack.

Seems like that's another option.

Like you meantioned, just reading the comments and questions it touches upon what you meantioned.

Offline kayef

• View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: May 10, 2020, 12:14:46 PM »
Thanks. What does that cost while routing calls through call centric for incoming caller ID?

Any reason to get one with one of these features? Or for regular home use, there's no use for it?

Style:

•Router
•Unmanaged
•Smart Managed
• L2 Managed

If you also get E911 then it's $2.50 a month.

For home use, you don't need more than unmanaged

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: May 10, 2020, 12:28:58 PM »
If you also get E911 then it's $2.50 a month.

For home use, you don't need more than unmanaged
Ok, then I'll look into the other one.

Assuming I don't need the E911 at the moment and just need some extra phone lines, is this possible to use call centric for the inbound caller ID without subscribing to their 911 service? In other words can i avoid the $2.50 entirely?

Offline kayef

• View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: May 10, 2020, 02:08:58 PM »
Ok, then I'll look into the other one.

Assuming I don't need the E911 at the moment and just need some extra phone lines, is this possible to use call centric for the inbound caller ID without subscribing to their 911 service? In other words can i avoid the $2.50 entirely?
I believe it can be done without getting the E911. It will still cost $1 a month

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: May 11, 2020, 02:16:12 AM »
I believe it can be done without getting the E911. It will still cost $1 a month
Thanks.

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: May 11, 2020, 02:17:42 AM »
read the description "supports google voice"
Seems like it's a machlokos what works and what not! But hakol moidim that GV works at least for one port.

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=17029.msg103851#msg103851

Offline pcgeek

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: May 11, 2020, 08:21:32 AM »
+1

Offline yesitsme

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: May 11, 2020, 09:53:52 AM »
Seems like it's a machlokos what works and what not! But hakol moidim that GV works at least for one port.

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=17029.msg103851#msg103851
where do you see a machlokas?
it has
one phone port
one line port
one Ethernet port
and one LAN port
and the phone port works with google voice
I don't see a machlokas anywhere
["-"]

Offline springles

• View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: August 12, 2020, 08:20:31 PM »
Obi200 seems to be OOS on Amazon and seems expensive everywhere else I look. Is there another product like it? Or some other way to get it under $50?

Online lcm

• View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: August 12, 2020, 10:18:34 PM »
Obi200 seems to be OOS on Amazon and seems expensive everywhere else I look. Is there another product like it? Or some other way to get it under $50?
Checked Newegg?
I don't remember seeing it to much lower that 50 in general

Offline Yisroel Tech

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: August 12, 2020, 10:25:24 PM »
For things like this (OOS everywhere) eBay is way to go.

See this refurbished one for $45 https://www.ebay.com/itm/OBi200-1-Port-VoIP-Phone-Adapter-with-Google-Voice-Fax-SOHO-Phone-Service/153758386531?epid=25027043145&hash=item23ccb6c963:g:5QwAAOSwgxhfEdTJ seller has glowing reputation, I'd grab it.

Offline yungermanchik

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: Previous Signatures: If you chapped hana'ah from a post, like it; You think you know the answers and things are the way they seem.. it just ain't so -The Rebbe from Lublin-
« Reply #1499 on: August 12, 2020, 10:25:38 PM »
$48 https://www.mercari.com/us/item/m14701546461/ I found it with google shopping
Small people talk about other people.
Average people talk about things
BIG PEOPLE TALK ABOUT IDEAS.