Topic Wiki

IF YOUR OBI NEEDS UPDATES SEE HERE

See here for some good tutorials on setting up the Obi.

You can switch your current landline number into a Google Voice account to retain your phone number on a free Obi phone line.
To port your landline to GV:
  • Get ahold of an old Page Plus or Verizon cell phone that isn't being used. Port your existing landline to Page Plus for free through their website.
  • Fill out the port form and put in your landline number and the old PP cell phone's ESN or MEID number (from under the battery) and wait a couple of days for it to go through. You will know that the port is complete, when dialing your landline rings on the cell phone.
  • Once the account is active, buy $10 worth of minutes from PagePlus in order to receive the verification call from GV.
  • Now you can initiate the GV port. It's a good idea to open a new Gmail account. You can then setup all emails that come to that account (all the voicemails notifications) to be forwarded to your main Gmail account. Login to GV from the new account and port in your number. It will cost $20, and you will get an email when the port to GV is complete.
Using the above method will only have incoming Caller ID numbers, not names. If you want names as well, follow these steps:
  • Go to https://www.callcentric.com/, click Products, then click the yellow Get A Number button next to Free Phone Number.
  • Use the tool on the left to pick an area code, then order the number. It doesn’t have to be something memorable, because no one will ever have to dial it.
  • When it asks if you’re in US/Canada, either select Yes to use their E911 service, or No if you want to use something else. Callcentric setup is free, plus $1.50/mo if you want E911 services. See below for more details.
  • After you receive a confirmation email from Callcentric with your new account info, go to obitalk.com, and log into your Obi. Click SP2, scroll down to OBiTALK Compatible Service Providers, then click Next. Follow the prompts to link your Callcentric account. In the box that says Callcentric Number, enter the 1777 number you got in the email. Uncheck Primary Line for Outgoing Calls and 911.
  • Open Google Voice, go into Settings, and add a forwarding phone. Enter the real phone number you got in the email from Callcentric. Google will call it to confirm; it should ring on your Obi. Answer it and enter the code shown by GV.
  • Uncheck forward to Google Chat.
  • Log into your Callcentric account. Click Preferences. Under General, enable Caller ID with name (Inbound calls). (You can also change the maximum call duration, and unlist yourself from the directory).
or this for a $5 one time fee.
https://simonics.com/gw/?promo=nerdvittles

If you’re not using Callcentric, you have to set up SP3 in Obi settings to point to your E911 provider’s account.
E911 providers:
Callcentric$18/year ($1.50/mo) + $1.50 setup
Anveo$15/year
http://www.gv911.com/$12/year
http://www.bulkvs.com/e911.html$8.64/year ($0.72/mo)

If you want the SP2 to ring like the standard US ringtone:
go to obi expert config, then to voice service, select sp2, and change it to this:
X_ServProvProfile B
X_RingProfile   A
X_CodecProfile   A

You can add your CID http://www.listyourself.net/ListYourself/listing.jsp?ID=new
and check your CID http://who.scalling.com/411/

Author Topic: OBi Master Thread  (Read 355401 times)

Offline mercaz1

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: OBi 110
« Reply #260 on: June 29, 2012, 10:06:23 AM »
can you call 911 with obi 110 and if not is there any of these tyoes of voip that does allow you to call 911 or am i overreacting?

Offline MarkS

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: June 29, 2012, 10:10:29 AM »
can you call 911 with obi 110 and if not is there any of these tyoes of voip that does allow you to call 911 or am i overreacting?
You are overreacting.
A) I happen to live in a city that has Hatzolah. If you do too, program that into your phones memory and it's quicker than calling 911.
B)Use a cell phone to call 911 (assuming both you and your wife have cell phones there should always be one floating around).
C)For Police, every city/town has a direct police local number. Calling that actually gets you help sooner since calling 911 takes you to a regional center who then transfers your call to your local police station.
I programmed the local 732 number for the police station in my Town into my phone and now I can dial them with only pressing 2 digits on my phone (even quicker than dialing 911!)
D) It's no more dangerous than someone who doesn't own any landline.

The one thing to be careful about is that a babysitter is aware of this and knows how to call police/Ambulance.

Offline mercaz1

• View Profile
« Reply #262 on: June 29, 2012, 10:12:06 AM »
thanks

Offline Yitz

• View Profile
« Reply #263 on: June 29, 2012, 10:29:27 AM »
Yes.
It's been mentioned step by step earlier......
http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=5945.msg219218#msg219218
Thanks for the information.

Offline ganizzy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: July 04, 2012, 01:58:51 AM »
I finally set up my google voice with the obi
now i have to cancel my voip service

some q's:
if i put some money on my google voice account, can i call international from my "home phone" - the phone connected to the obi?

also, google voice requires you to have a forwarding number so i put my cell number. now, even though calls are not being forwarded to my cell, I can not call my house phone. when i call my phone (gv number) it prompts me to put in my pin number and make a call.
so, i want the feature to make calls from my cell phone thru google voice (then i can call international from my cell) but i would also like to call my house number if i need to. How do i do that?

lastly, if i have a cable provider for internet - is there any way of using that for 911?
did anyone have any luck with using 911 by hooking up the obi with the regular house line (with no service working)?

thanks

Offline Saver2000

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: July 04, 2012, 02:06:25 AM »
i want the feature to make calls from my cell phone thru google voice (then i can call international from my cell) but i would also like to call my house number if i need to. How do i do that?
thanks

Maybe get a 2nd gv number?

If its not possible to have 2 gv numbers forwarded to the same cell phone,  maybe forward the obi number to somewhere else, and get a 2nd gv number for your cell phone so u'll be able to call international and u'll be able to call home.

Offline Wolf

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: July 04, 2012, 11:57:57 AM »
Maybe get a 2nd gv number?

If its not possible to have 2 gv numbers forwarded to the same cell phone,  maybe forward the obi number to somewhere else, and get a 2nd gv number for your cell phone so u'll be able to call international and u'll be able to call home.
you could have 2 gv accounts forwarded to the same number if you set one as mobile and one as home office etc.

Offline gozalim

• View Profile
« Reply #267 on: July 04, 2012, 12:29:55 PM »
you could have 2 gv accounts forwarded to the same number if you set one as mobile and one as home office etc.
won't (directly) solve his problem. anything forwarding TO the cell will not ring when called FROM said cell

Offline smurf

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: July 04, 2012, 01:06:37 PM »
I had a similar problem, I wanted 2 gv numbers to fwd to my cell, I think I ended up solving the problem by passing one through sipgate
You can probably try the same, have sipgate fwd to yóur gv number and when yÓu want to call home dial the sipgate number, but make sure gv isnrt set to fwd to your cellphone or else you'd just be calling yourself

Offline him

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
ombi and google voice
« Reply #269 on: July 11, 2012, 04:18:04 PM »
i would like to have that my cell phone which currently has google voice, should be my cell and landline. Will this help me? i want that when you call me it should ring both the cell and land line and also that when i make a call from the ombi it should be from my cell which is GV number, can that be done? basically i want a cell and landline with the same number so i can use the cell when out and landline when home but have only one number to be reached at. can you help me with that??

Offline satturn

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Kotel Security Pass
Re: ombi and google voice
« Reply #270 on: July 11, 2012, 10:37:41 PM »
i dont think you need an obi for this- (i think thats what you wanted) just make the forwarding numbers of your gv line- to both your house and cell phone. GV will forward to many different numbers at once.

Offline him

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: July 12, 2012, 04:55:00 PM »
i know that but i want to make calls from my land-line and the caller ID should be my cell phone also, and also i want a separate land line for my business and don't want to use my house line. Now i just use my cell and have to charge it alot bec i use it when i'm home also, i want a line i can use when i'm at home that is the same number as my cell incoming and out going.

Offline Zeeeeks

• View Profile
« Reply #272 on: July 12, 2012, 05:01:57 PM »
i know that but i want to make calls from my land-line and the caller ID should be my cell phone also, and also i want a separate land line for my business and don't want to use my house line. Now i just use my cell and have to charge it alot bec i use it when i'm home also, i want a line i can use when i'm at home that is the same number as my cell incoming and out going.
Sprint with Google Voice

Offline him

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: July 16, 2012, 03:00:18 PM »

Offline Zeeeeks

• View Profile
« Reply #274 on: July 16, 2012, 03:49:36 PM »

Offline Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #275 on: July 18, 2012, 11:58:52 PM »
I own the Obi110 but now realize I want two google voice lines. Is there any detriment to buying another Obi110/100 as opposed to buying the Obi202? Any benefit to having both lines on one device?

Offline Wolf

• View Profile
Re: Re: OBi 110
« Reply #276 on: July 19, 2012, 09:43:40 AM »
I own the Obi110 but now realize I want two google voice lines. Is there any detriment to buying another Obi110/100 as opposed to buying the Obi202? Any benefit to having both lines on one device?
the 202 has better fax capabilities, also has the option of connecting thru wifi vs network cable.

Offline Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #277 on: July 19, 2012, 09:47:04 AM »
Thanks. I was also thinking about interaction between the two phone lines. Is there any benefit with them being on one device- like using a 2 line phone or better quality because it knows how to handle two simultaneous calls better?

Offline Dominique8888

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: July 23, 2012, 02:47:57 PM »
The OBi202 is a good choice for use with a 2-line phone and/or by homes or businesses with two incoming/outgoing lines that need to be accessible by any phone.

I asked Obihai a similar question a while back and this is what they sent me:

- Pressing the # key on a phone connected to phone port 1 will ring the phone on phone port 2 (and vice versa).
- Pressing the # key on a phone connected to phone port 1 while the phone on phone port 2 is ringing will allow the phone port 1 phone to pick-up the call (and vice versa).
- Pressing the # key on a phone connected to phone port 1 while the phone on phone port 2 is already in a call will allow the phone port 1 phone to join the call (and vice versa).
- If the phone on phone port 1 puts their call on-hold (press flash key) and hangs up. The phone on phone port 2 can retrieve the call by pressing the # key (and vice versa).
- All of these  phone port behaviors are configurable (enable/disable).

Offline Daniel

• View Profile
« Reply #279 on: July 23, 2012, 02:57:20 PM »
The OBi202 is a good choice for use with a 2-line phone and/or by homes or businesses with two incoming/outgoing lines that need to be accessible by any phone.

I asked Obihai a similar question a while back and this is what they sent me:

- Pressing the # key on a phone connected to phone port 1 will ring the phone on phone port 2 (and vice versa).
- Pressing the # key on a phone connected to phone port 1 while the phone on phone port 2 is ringing will allow the phone port 1 phone to pick-up the call (and vice versa).
- Pressing the # key on a phone connected to phone port 1 while the phone on phone port 2 is already in a call will allow the phone port 1 phone to join the call (and vice versa).
- If the phone on phone port 1 puts their call on-hold (press flash key) and hangs up. The phone on phone port 2 can retrieve the call by pressing the # key (and vice versa).
- All of these  phone port behaviors are configurable (enable/disable).

Perfect. Exactly what I needed to know. I will now be buying the Obi202. Thanks!