Topic Wiki

Any recognizable member can PM @chinagel to add their car to an account for short term use.

How toll roads/Bridges can be paid in Florida & How to minimize surcharges from car rental companies:
•   Cash when that is a viable option (many/most are unmanned, so this is often not a viable option)
•   SunPass Account: There are two options:
o   SunPass PRO – Is a portable Transponder with suction cups (transponder cost $15)  (designed/intended for easy moving from car to car). Minimum starting balance is $10. There is no monthly fee. This is linked to credit card for auto-refill.  Save up to 25% on tolls compared to cash. This works outside Florida wherever E-ZPass is accepted. FOR CAR RENTALS: Sunpass strongly recommends users log into their account and add the rental vehicle’s license plate, along with the start and end date for the planned usage of the rental.
o   SunPass Mini - Window-sticker-transponder (transponder cost $5; available at CVS, Publix, many grocery stores). linked to credit card for auto-refill.  Save up to 25% on tolls. (harder to move between cars, intended to remain in one car. some have attached that to the windshield using scotch tape (rather than remove the plastic and using the sticky surface on the Mini), and have then moved it to another vehicle.
•   TOLL-BY-PLATE: Cars not registered with SunPass are automatically are billed using TOLL-BY-PLATE. TOLL-BY-PLATE is an electronic toll collection system that captures an image of a vehicle’s license plate when an active SunPass transponder is not detected. The vehicle’s first-listed registered owner will receive an invoice for accumulated toll amounts, plus a $2.50 administrative charge, per invoice. (If there is a cash-pay option, and toll is unpaid there is also a violation fee). Toll prices are up to 25% more than for SunPass customers. (This is the default option for many rental cars). (There is a prepaid toll-by-plate option that avoids the surcharge). FOR CAR RENTALS: (Prepaid TOLL-BY-PLATE) customers MUST log into their account and add the vehicle’s license plate, along with the start and end dates for the planned usage of the rental.
•   TOLL-BY-PLATE PREPAID: There is an option to “Register” with TOLL-BY-PLATE and maintain a prepaid balance, to avoid the $2.50 surcharge per invoice.

ADDITIONAL NOTES FOR VISITORS RENTING CARS:
•   You may (by the terms of the agreement) use your SunPass transponder when renting a vehicle as long as you add the rental vehicle and license plate information to your SunPass account. When you return your rental, be sure to remove your transponder or additional toll charges may continue to register. If you leave your transponder in a rental vehicle and cannot retrieve it, you will need to immediately report the device lost or stolen to avoid additional charges.
o   To add a rental vehicle to your SunPass account: Log in to your SunPass account / Click on "Transponders and Vehicles" / Click "Add Another Vehicle" and fill out the information on the page / Be sure to add the Start and End Date/Time / Check the Rental Vehicle box / Click "Add Vehicle"
o      Several people report succesfully registering the rental car to a SunPass account without having the transponder present. It seems that the system first looks for the physical transponder and bills that account, if no transponder is recognized, the system reads the plate, and checks if there is an account associated with that plate (that's why registering the rental care can be important) and bills that account. If not, then it reverts to the PAY-BY-TOLL, and bills the owner of the car (i.e. rental car company). The system reading the plate is reported to occur with a lag (few hours?), so you may be able to register the car shortly after the first use and still have that billed to the SunPass account.
o   Per Sunpass: Also, keep in mind that if you purchase and activate a SunPass Mini for use in your rental, once removed, the SunPass Mini will no longer function and cannot be reattached to another vehicle’s windshield.
o   If you traveled through a tolling point and an active transponder was not detected, an invoice will be mailed to the registered owner of the vehicle. The invoice will include your toll charges and a monthly $2.50 administrative fee.
•   Sunpass PRO and Mini transponders can be purchased online at sunpass.com, or at many local grocery stores (Publix, CVS, etc.. .) The account need to activate and registered with a credit card.
•   Position the transponder to the right or left of the rearview mirror. If the windshield has a solar tint strip, install the transponder at least 2 inches below the strip.
•   SunPass Pro vs SunPass Mini: (1) PRO transponder cost $10 more (2) Is designed/easier to move from car to car (3) PRO works wherever E-ZPass is accepted Mini only works in FL, GA, and NC. (4) PRO can be used on motorcycles.
•   SunPass vs Toll-By-Plate: (1) Sunpass requires purchase of transponder and registration (Toll-by-plate does not, but Toll-by-plate “prepaid-option” requires registration) (2) saves an average of 25% on tolls in FL (3) Can be used for Parking in certain locations e.g. at Airport parking (4) Is a viable way to minimize surcharges from rental car companies. (5) There are a few toll facilities in Florida that don’t accept TOLL-BY-PLATE/TOLL-BY-PLATE-Prepaid (primarily in the Orlando and Ft. Myers areas), which could result in additional fees: My understanding is these do accept SunPass. See https://www.sunpass.com/en/common/docs/toll_map_prepaid_tbp.pdf 
•   Most car rental companies (Hertz, Avis, Budget, Payless,National, Alamo, Enterprise) charge $3-$5/day PLUS tolls (at the TOLL-BY-PLATE rates). Dollar/Thrifty/Fox charge $9-$11/day but that includes the cost of tolls. See: https://www.sunpass.com/en/tolls/rentalVehicles.shtml
•   Some Florida highways have “Sunpass express lanes” (also called managed lanes) where you pay a toll for travelling in the “express lanes” to save time/traffic (not common in the NorthEast US)
•   Unlike E-ZPass there is no monthly fee for maintaining a SunPass account (NY and NJ charge $1/month)
•   E-ZPass is accepted on all Florida highways as of June 2021. There have been reports of those transponders not being recognized (post #103, #110, and I had this experience). Perhaps they need to be placed closer to center of windshield?? 
•   The windshield on some cars prevent tolls from reading the transponder (https://www.sunpass.com/en/about/windshieldInstallation.shtml)
•   Sunpass can be reached at 1-888-TOLL-FLA (1-888-865-5352)

Author Topic: SunPass in Florida  (Read 35367 times)

Offline stbaum

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: EZ-Pass in Florida?
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2016, 04:15:31 PM »
Not a darn clue. Wasn't about to argue at 1am
My greatest achievement? I am fluent in FRIENDS quotes

Offline Joe4007

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2016, 07:14:58 PM »
Not a darn clue. Wasn't about to argue at 1am
You can call now, ya know

Online luckyluck

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2016, 10:02:09 PM »
Interesting. Will see what I can come up with once I get it.

Just use scotch tape to affix it to windshield. Be careful when you remove it. I did it and it worked great.

Offline Joe4007

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2016, 10:05:05 PM »
Just use scotch tape to affix it to windshield. Be careful when you remove it. I did it and it worked great.
So you left the plastic on the sticker?

Online luckyluck

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2016, 10:07:03 PM »
yes exactly

Offline Joe4007

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2016, 10:11:43 PM »

Offline chulent613

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2016, 05:14:19 PM »
Anyone in Monsey have a spare sunpass?

Offline moshe8177

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2016, 11:44:47 AM »
Anyone here has a Sunpass that i can use in Florida from this week Thursday to next week Thursday
(it is my understanding that i just need to fill it up like a calling card, or pay afterwards for how much i used)

Offline asks

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 29, 2016, 11:07:14 AM »
Can't you just hold the pas near the windshield as you go thru? Know this works for EZ Pass in NY/NJ

Offline Joe4007

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 29, 2016, 11:35:11 AM »
Can't you just hold the pas near the windshield as you go thru? Know this works for EZ Pass in NY/NJ
If you can affix it to the window in a removable manner then you can reuse it. The issue is that it uses the windshield glass as an antennae so you would need to really play around with it to make sure it works.

Offline asks

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 29, 2016, 11:36:37 AM »

so pressing to windshield glass will not work?

Offline username

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
  • Programs: ┌──────────────────┐ │───> Ữ₴ΣЯИΛΜӘ <─── │ └──────────────────┘
Re: SunPass in Florida
« Reply #31 on: February 29, 2016, 12:35:47 PM »
Look here.
http://floridasturnpike.com/all-electronictolling/ESP/TOLL-BY-PLATE.cfm

The Florida DOT’s TOLL-BY-PLATE program is available on Florida’s Turnpike in Miami-Dade and on the Sawgrass Expressway in Broward County, where all-electronic, no-cash tolling is in effect.
^^^

Offline yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2018, 12:33:40 AM »
Does EZPass work yet in SunPass states? Iirc, it was supposed to work by November 2017.

Offline Yammer

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile

Offline yelped

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2018, 10:50:45 AM »
Ah. Thanks.

Offline Lichalicha

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2018, 03:01:53 AM »
I have rented cars in Mia airport many times the reason to get sunpass is when you leave the airport there is a toll (if you are going to Miami beach or on to the 95) its only a 75 cent toll but the rental car companies will charge you a convenience fee of 15-20 per day you can buy a sunpass at Publix or other supermarket chains. Tolls are only charged on the Florida Turnpike if you stay on Interstate 95 you will be fine(just stay out of the express lanes which are never express anyways  ;D)

Online ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2018, 03:58:19 AM »
I got a surpass a few years ago on a Florida trip. Biggest challenge since then was remembering to take it along every time I go.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline Iz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2018, 09:29:13 PM »
I have rented cars in Mia airport many times the reason to get sunpass is when you leave the airport there is a toll (if you are going to Miami beach or on to the 95) its only a 75 cent toll but the rental car companies will charge you a convenience fee of 15-20 per day you can buy a sunpass at Publix or other supermarket chains. Tolls are only charged on the Florida Turnpike if you stay on Interstate 95 you will be fine(just stay out of the express lanes which are never express anyways  ;D )
Is this an issue with PBI airport? If not, and I stay off the turnpike, I should be ok w/o a Sunpass?

Offline Iz

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2018, 09:51:58 PM »
Is EZ Pass working yet in FL?

Offline davidrotts63

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 26
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz Gold, Hyatt Member, BA Blue, Ebay banned, Amazon Prime
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2018, 10:31:48 PM »
Is EZ Pass working yet in FL?
I double checked, seems not, but you cab get one in a gas station there.
(Quit) pulling out the flowers, and watering the weeds. -Peter Lynch