Topic Wiki

Any recognizable member can PM @chinagel to add their car to an account for short term use.

How toll roads/Bridges can be paid in Florida & How to minimize surcharges from car rental companies:
•   Cash when that is a viable option (many/most are unmanned, so this is often not a viable option)
•   SunPass Account: There are two options:
o   SunPass PRO – Is a portable Transponder with suction cups (transponder cost $15)  (designed/intended for easy moving from car to car). Minimum starting balance is $10. There is no monthly fee. This is linked to credit card for auto-refill.  Save up to 25% on tolls compared to cash. This works outside Florida wherever E-ZPass is accepted. FOR CAR RENTALS: Sunpass strongly recommends users log into their account and add the rental vehicle’s license plate, along with the start and end date for the planned usage of the rental.
o   SunPass Mini - Window-sticker-transponder (transponder cost $5; available at CVS, Publix, many grocery stores). linked to credit card for auto-refill.  Save up to 25% on tolls. (harder to move between cars, intended to remain in one car. some have attached that to the windshield using scotch tape (rather than remove the plastic and using the sticky surface on the Mini), and have then moved it to another vehicle.
•   TOLL-BY-PLATE: Cars not registered with SunPass are automatically are billed using TOLL-BY-PLATE. TOLL-BY-PLATE is an electronic toll collection system that captures an image of a vehicle’s license plate when an active SunPass transponder is not detected. The vehicle’s first-listed registered owner will receive an invoice for accumulated toll amounts, plus a $2.50 administrative charge, per invoice. (If there is a cash-pay option, and toll is unpaid there is also a violation fee). Toll prices are up to 25% more than for SunPass customers. (This is the default option for many rental cars). (There is a prepaid toll-by-plate option that avoids the surcharge). FOR CAR RENTALS: (Prepaid TOLL-BY-PLATE) customers MUST log into their account and add the vehicle’s license plate, along with the start and end dates for the planned usage of the rental.
•   TOLL-BY-PLATE PREPAID: There is an option to “Register” with TOLL-BY-PLATE and maintain a prepaid balance, to avoid the $2.50 surcharge per invoice.

ADDITIONAL NOTES FOR VISITORS RENTING CARS:
•   You may (by the terms of the agreement) use your SunPass transponder when renting a vehicle as long as you add the rental vehicle and license plate information to your SunPass account. When you return your rental, be sure to remove your transponder or additional toll charges may continue to register. If you leave your transponder in a rental vehicle and cannot retrieve it, you will need to immediately report the device lost or stolen to avoid additional charges.
o   To add a rental vehicle to your SunPass account: Log in to your SunPass account / Click on "Transponders and Vehicles" / Click "Add Another Vehicle" and fill out the information on the page / Be sure to add the Start and End Date/Time / Check the Rental Vehicle box / Click "Add Vehicle"
o      Several people report succesfully registering the rental car to a SunPass account without having the transponder present. It seems that the system first looks for the physical transponder and bills that account, if no transponder is recognized, the system reads the plate, and checks if there is an account associated with that plate (that's why registering the rental care can be important) and bills that account. If not, then it reverts to the PAY-BY-TOLL, and bills the owner of the car (i.e. rental car company). The system reading the plate is reported to occur with a lag (few hours?), so you may be able to register the car shortly after the first use and still have that billed to the SunPass account.
o   Per Sunpass: Also, keep in mind that if you purchase and activate a SunPass Mini for use in your rental, once removed, the SunPass Mini will no longer function and cannot be reattached to another vehicle’s windshield.
o   If you traveled through a tolling point and an active transponder was not detected, an invoice will be mailed to the registered owner of the vehicle. The invoice will include your toll charges and a monthly $2.50 administrative fee.
•   Sunpass PRO and Mini transponders can be purchased online at sunpass.com, or at many local grocery stores (Publix, CVS, etc.. .) The account need to activate and registered with a credit card.
•   Position the transponder to the right or left of the rearview mirror. If the windshield has a solar tint strip, install the transponder at least 2 inches below the strip.
•   SunPass Pro vs SunPass Mini: (1) PRO transponder cost $10 more (2) Is designed/easier to move from car to car (3) PRO works wherever E-ZPass is accepted Mini only works in FL, GA, and NC. (4) PRO can be used on motorcycles.
•   SunPass vs Toll-By-Plate: (1) Sunpass requires purchase of transponder and registration (Toll-by-plate does not, but Toll-by-plate “prepaid-option” requires registration) (2) saves an average of 25% on tolls in FL (3) Can be used for Parking in certain locations e.g. at Airport parking (4) Is a viable way to minimize surcharges from rental car companies. (5) There are a few toll facilities in Florida that don’t accept TOLL-BY-PLATE/TOLL-BY-PLATE-Prepaid (primarily in the Orlando and Ft. Myers areas), which could result in additional fees: My understanding is these do accept SunPass. See https://www.sunpass.com/en/common/docs/toll_map_prepaid_tbp.pdf 
•   Most car rental companies (Hertz, Avis, Budget, Payless,National, Alamo, Enterprise) charge $3-$5/day PLUS tolls (at the TOLL-BY-PLATE rates). Dollar/Thrifty/Fox charge $9-$11/day but that includes the cost of tolls. See: https://www.sunpass.com/en/tolls/rentalVehicles.shtml
•   Some Florida highways have “Sunpass express lanes” (also called managed lanes) where you pay a toll for travelling in the “express lanes” to save time/traffic (not common in the NorthEast US)
•   Unlike E-ZPass there is no monthly fee for maintaining a SunPass account (NY and NJ charge $1/month)
•   E-ZPass is accepted on all Florida highways as of June 2021. There have been reports of those transponders not being recognized (post #103, #110, and I had this experience). Perhaps they need to be placed closer to center of windshield?? 
•   The windshield on some cars prevent tolls from reading the transponder (https://www.sunpass.com/en/about/windshieldInstallation.shtml)
•   Sunpass can be reached at 1-888-TOLL-FLA (1-888-865-5352)

Author Topic: SunPass in Florida  (Read 35363 times)

Offline davidd75

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: SunPass in Florida
« Reply #80 on: January 26, 2021, 11:27:33 AM »
also how difficult is it to attach and take off the mini each time you get into another car?

Offline lcm

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 26, 2021, 11:47:25 AM »
Officially the mini ones are non removable and you aren't supposed to be able to take them out and put them in another car.
They sell one for 20 that is meant for that

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #82 on: January 26, 2021, 11:57:40 AM »
Officially the mini ones are non removable and you aren't supposed to be able to take them out and put them in another car.

But people say they can be moved.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Yo ssi

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 26, 2021, 01:31:09 PM »
But people say they can be moved.
It's essentially a sticker. Just don't peel the sticker backing and put it up with some tape..
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline davidd75

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 26, 2021, 02:11:55 PM »

does the 20 dollar one work with the small rental agencies as well such as Advantage and Fox etc... because regarding Dan's main post there was some comments regarding at least the min one(4.99) not working with the smaller rental agencies?

Offline davidd75

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 26, 2021, 02:13:44 PM »
also anyone know if you can just start using physical mini transponder without entering vehicle info as I might not have internet access when I arrive in Florida what about the $20 dollar one

Offline lcm

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 26, 2021, 03:01:59 PM »
does the 20 dollar one work with the small rental agencies as well such as Advantage and Fox etc... because regarding Dan's main post there was some comments regarding at least the min one(4.99) not working with the smaller rental agencies?
It sounds like @Dan was talking about when you are not using the piece, rather just registering the vehicle on the account

Offline davidd75

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 26, 2021, 03:33:02 PM »
It sounds like @Dan was talking about when you are not using the piece, rather just registering the vehicle on the account

but one commentator said that they were blocked from adding license plate to their Sunpass account; wouldn't that apply to whether you have the transponder or not?

do you have to add the rental vehicle when you have physical transponder?

Offline Josef.koney

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 26, 2021, 06:19:17 PM »
I personally have moved it.
Instead of using their sticky film I tape it with scotch tape.
Also, I happened to have just lost mine and didn't bother buying one for a while. When I got the new one, I added my license plate to the new transponder and put in starting from the day I lost the old one.
It retroactively found my old charges and took off the extra charge, and I was able to pay right then and there.

Offline davidd75

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 26, 2021, 11:04:10 PM »
I personally have moved it.
Instead of using their sticky film I tape it with scotch tape.
Also, I happened to have just lost mine and didn't bother buying one for a while. When I got the new one, I added my license plate to the new transponder and put in starting from the day I lost the old one.
It retroactively found my old charges and took off the extra charge, and I was able to pay right then and there.

can you use the physical transponder in the rental car without adding license plate?

Offline yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 26, 2021, 11:18:19 PM »
can you use the physical transponder in the rental car without adding license plate?
Why not?

Offline davidd75

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 27, 2021, 10:33:42 AM »
Why not?

it seems like its been asked several times here and on comments in the main post and no one has confirmed yet as the post centered around using sunpass without physical transponder.
doesn't the sunpass account have to had the vehicle (info license plate) registered in the account to pick up the tolls I am not sure just asking?

also another issue is talk of smaller auto rental companies blocking use of sunpass mini transponder

Offline davidd75

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 27, 2021, 10:41:19 AM »

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 27, 2021, 10:45:55 AM »
Is this a free option?

https://www.cfxway.com/e-pass/get-e-pass/

Sure looks like it, unless there's something they aren't telling us:

https://www.cfxway.com/e-pass-vs-sunpass/
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 27, 2021, 11:47:32 AM »
Sure looks like it, unless there's something they aren't telling us:

https://www.cfxway.com/e-pass-vs-sunpass/
Have to prepay $10 in order to order, but otherwise free it seems. No monthly fees, too.

Offline davidd75

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 27, 2021, 12:19:32 PM »
Have to prepay $10 in order to order, but otherwise free it seems. No monthly fees, too.

prepay meaning you have a $10 credit for tolls?

If so seems to be better option than Sunpass mini or am I missing something?

Offline davidd75

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 28, 2021, 10:42:22 AM »
Is this a free option?

https://www.cfxway.com/e-pass/get-e-pass/

has anybody used this like the sunpass mini($4.99)and take it with them from car to car?

Offline stooges44

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 269
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 14, 2021, 10:28:07 AM »
For the sake of the next guy that's looking for info like I was...

Yes.
Yes, when you add the plate there is a box to check that this is a rental and you put in your start and end dates and they should charge any tolls during that period to your account.
If it's not free shipping it's not worth it.

Offline Pad18

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile

Offline stooges44

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 269
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 01, 2021, 04:22:05 PM »
If it's not free shipping it's not worth it.