Topic Wiki

Any recognizable member can PM @chinagel to add their car to an account for short term use.

How toll roads/Bridges can be paid in Florida & How to minimize surcharges from car rental companies:
•   Cash when that is a viable option (many/most are unmanned, so this is often not a viable option)
•   SunPass Account: There are two options:
o   SunPass PRO – Is a portable Transponder with suction cups (transponder cost $15)  (designed/intended for easy moving from car to car). Minimum starting balance is $10. There is no monthly fee. This is linked to credit card for auto-refill.  Save up to 25% on tolls compared to cash. This works outside Florida wherever E-ZPass is accepted. FOR CAR RENTALS: Sunpass strongly recommends users log into their account and add the rental vehicle’s license plate, along with the start and end date for the planned usage of the rental.
o   SunPass Mini - Window-sticker-transponder (transponder cost $5; available at CVS, Publix, many grocery stores). linked to credit card for auto-refill.  Save up to 25% on tolls. (harder to move between cars, intended to remain in one car. some have attached that to the windshield using scotch tape (rather than remove the plastic and using the sticky surface on the Mini), and have then moved it to another vehicle.
•   TOLL-BY-PLATE: Cars not registered with SunPass are automatically are billed using TOLL-BY-PLATE. TOLL-BY-PLATE is an electronic toll collection system that captures an image of a vehicle’s license plate when an active SunPass transponder is not detected. The vehicle’s first-listed registered owner will receive an invoice for accumulated toll amounts, plus a $2.50 administrative charge, per invoice. (If there is a cash-pay option, and toll is unpaid there is also a violation fee). Toll prices are up to 25% more than for SunPass customers. (This is the default option for many rental cars). (There is a prepaid toll-by-plate option that avoids the surcharge). FOR CAR RENTALS: (Prepaid TOLL-BY-PLATE) customers MUST log into their account and add the vehicle’s license plate, along with the start and end dates for the planned usage of the rental.
•   TOLL-BY-PLATE PREPAID: There is an option to “Register” with TOLL-BY-PLATE and maintain a prepaid balance, to avoid the $2.50 surcharge per invoice.

ADDITIONAL NOTES FOR VISITORS RENTING CARS:
•   You may (by the terms of the agreement) use your SunPass transponder when renting a vehicle as long as you add the rental vehicle and license plate information to your SunPass account. When you return your rental, be sure to remove your transponder or additional toll charges may continue to register. If you leave your transponder in a rental vehicle and cannot retrieve it, you will need to immediately report the device lost or stolen to avoid additional charges.
o   To add a rental vehicle to your SunPass account: Log in to your SunPass account / Click on "Transponders and Vehicles" / Click "Add Another Vehicle" and fill out the information on the page / Be sure to add the Start and End Date/Time / Check the Rental Vehicle box / Click "Add Vehicle"
o      Several people report succesfully registering the rental car to a SunPass account without having the transponder present. It seems that the system first looks for the physical transponder and bills that account, if no transponder is recognized, the system reads the plate, and checks if there is an account associated with that plate (that's why registering the rental care can be important) and bills that account. If not, then it reverts to the PAY-BY-TOLL, and bills the owner of the car (i.e. rental car company). The system reading the plate is reported to occur with a lag (few hours?), so you may be able to register the car shortly after the first use and still have that billed to the SunPass account.
o   Per Sunpass: Also, keep in mind that if you purchase and activate a SunPass Mini for use in your rental, once removed, the SunPass Mini will no longer function and cannot be reattached to another vehicle’s windshield.
o   If you traveled through a tolling point and an active transponder was not detected, an invoice will be mailed to the registered owner of the vehicle. The invoice will include your toll charges and a monthly $2.50 administrative fee.
•   Sunpass PRO and Mini transponders can be purchased online at sunpass.com, or at many local grocery stores (Publix, CVS, etc.. .) The account need to activate and registered with a credit card.
•   Position the transponder to the right or left of the rearview mirror. If the windshield has a solar tint strip, install the transponder at least 2 inches below the strip.
•   SunPass Pro vs SunPass Mini: (1) PRO transponder cost $10 more (2) Is designed/easier to move from car to car (3) PRO works wherever E-ZPass is accepted Mini only works in FL, GA, and NC. (4) PRO can be used on motorcycles.
•   SunPass vs Toll-By-Plate: (1) Sunpass requires purchase of transponder and registration (Toll-by-plate does not, but Toll-by-plate “prepaid-option” requires registration) (2) saves an average of 25% on tolls in FL (3) Can be used for Parking in certain locations e.g. at Airport parking (4) Is a viable way to minimize surcharges from rental car companies. (5) There are a few toll facilities in Florida that don’t accept TOLL-BY-PLATE/TOLL-BY-PLATE-Prepaid (primarily in the Orlando and Ft. Myers areas), which could result in additional fees: My understanding is these do accept SunPass. See https://www.sunpass.com/en/common/docs/toll_map_prepaid_tbp.pdf 
•   Most car rental companies (Hertz, Avis, Budget, Payless,National, Alamo, Enterprise) charge $3-$5/day PLUS tolls (at the TOLL-BY-PLATE rates). Dollar/Thrifty/Fox charge $9-$11/day but that includes the cost of tolls. See: https://www.sunpass.com/en/tolls/rentalVehicles.shtml
•   Some Florida highways have “Sunpass express lanes” (also called managed lanes) where you pay a toll for travelling in the “express lanes” to save time/traffic (not common in the NorthEast US)
•   Unlike E-ZPass there is no monthly fee for maintaining a SunPass account (NY and NJ charge $1/month)
•   E-ZPass is accepted on all Florida highways as of June 2021. There have been reports of those transponders not being recognized (post #103, #110, and I had this experience). Perhaps they need to be placed closer to center of windshield?? 
•   The windshield on some cars prevent tolls from reading the transponder (https://www.sunpass.com/en/about/windshieldInstallation.shtml)
•   Sunpass can be reached at 1-888-TOLL-FLA (1-888-865-5352)

Author Topic: SunPass in Florida  (Read 35387 times)

Offline 1avigrun

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: SunPass in Florida
« Reply #100 on: June 01, 2021, 07:23:10 PM »

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #101 on: June 01, 2021, 07:29:41 PM »
Since I already have a sunpass account, I prefer updating the account with my rental car license plate than taking my EZ-Pass and risking forgetting it behind.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline ad120

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 02, 2021, 08:47:05 AM »
Since I already have a sunpass account, I prefer updating the account with my rental car license plate than taking my EZ-Pass and risking forgetting it behind.
Agreed. Adding you plate won't help for E-Pass.

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 44
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #103 on: September 14, 2021, 09:40:27 PM »
So apparently my EZPass wasn't read at a single toll crossing in FL last month. Makes no sense at all, but it sure isn't on my statement.

The car rental is now trying to charge me $80 for the privilege of them paying $6.64 for me.

EZPass FAQ says "If your Tag does not read, you will be subject to the terms of your car rental agreement that apply to E-ZPass usage, toll transactions and/or violation transactions."

Am I screwed?
Check out my site for epic kosher adventures: Kosher Horizons

Online Yo ssi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 15, 2021, 12:16:28 AM »
So apparently my EZPass wasn't read at a single toll crossing in FL last month. Makes no sense at all, but it sure isn't on my statement.

The car rental is now trying to charge me $80 for the privilege of them paying $6.64 for me.

EZPass FAQ says "If your Tag does not read, you will be subject to the terms of your car rental agreement that apply to E-ZPass usage, toll transactions and/or violation transactions."

Am I screwed?
If it didn't register, it didn't register.

Your only bet would be getting a nice guy from your rental's CS. Which rental charges $80?
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 44
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #105 on: September 15, 2021, 12:19:38 AM »
If it didn't register, it didn't register.

Your only bet would be getting a nice guy from your rental's CS. Which rental charges $80?

Thrifty. $10 per toll.
Check out my site for epic kosher adventures: Kosher Horizons

Offline ad120

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 17, 2021, 01:24:36 AM »

Am I screwed?
+1
E-Z Pass doesn't allow you to add a rental vehicle

Offline lcm

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 17, 2021, 08:07:05 AM »

Am I screwed?

I feel like I've heard of bargaining down administrative fees,
Hopefully that would apply here!

Offline David61

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 01, 2022, 08:47:31 PM »

Am I screwed?

Is this an experience others have had?
 Is bringing NY EZpass for Florida car rental a viable strategy?

Offline mord1

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 02, 2022, 12:29:22 AM »
is it true expass works for all sunpass roads now?  We dont need to buy a sunpass mini anymore, is that correct?

Offline ad120

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 02, 2022, 11:50:05 PM »
I recently attempted to use my EZ Pass in Miami. Tolls didn't catch my transponder. I got hit with bills from Hertz.

Offline mord1

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 03, 2022, 12:09:19 PM »
Does Dans sunpass mini trick still work?

Offline David61

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 03, 2022, 01:03:19 PM »
I recently attempted to use my EZ Pass in Miami. Tolls didn't catch my transponder. I got hit with bills from Hertz.

Do you mean the tolls didn't ever notice your transponder or only noticed it some of the time but not others?
Did you hold it up, leave it on the front dash, or elsewhere in the car?

Offline ad120

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 03, 2022, 11:58:25 PM »
Do you mean the tolls didn't ever notice your transponder or only noticed it some of the time but not others?
Did you hold it up, leave it on the front dash, or elsewhere in the car?
Transponder was not read at all. Transponder was on dashboard.

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #114 on: January 04, 2022, 04:54:29 PM »
Transponder was not read at all. Transponder was on dashboard.
Could it be that your rental car had a window it can't read through?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Yonah

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 05, 2022, 04:47:13 PM »
Just buy a mini transponder here:
https://www.sunpass.com/en/about/sunPassTransponders.shtml

You can add a license plate number to your account online for any period of time and it works great. No need to even have the trasnponder.

Does this still work (adding the plate without a transponder)?
I have a sunpass at my inlaws house but I would love to use toll roads from MIA to to their house?

Offline ad120

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 05, 2022, 10:24:25 PM »
That would be pointless.

Offline David61

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 06, 2022, 12:38:34 AM »

I think Aygart means that certain car models require the transponder to be fastened outside the car.
https://www.ezpassnj.com/en/about/exterior_tags.shtml

Offline Yonah

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 06, 2022, 09:28:36 AM »
Does this still work (adding the plate without a transponder)?
I have a sunpass at my inlaws house but I would love to use toll roads from MIA to to their house?

Can confirm - works flawlessly. I added the plate in the rental car center last night, and this morning the tolls are on my sunpass acount

Offline Freecountry

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 13, 2022, 05:26:24 PM »
I see an option on sun pass website after i click to apply for a new transponder to open a "prepaid toll by plate" account specifically to be used for rentals, is this new? does this mean I don't have to purchase the 4.99 transponder?