Author Topic: VEGETARIAN MEAL on COPA AIRLINES vs. KOSHER MEAL  (Read 4862 times)

Offline levych

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
VEGETARIAN MEAL on COPA AIRLINES vs. KOSHER MEAL
« on: March 17, 2016, 03:32:17 AM »
 8) Hi everyone, am just curious was better choice for a meal with Copa Airlines on flight ccs pty short flight 2 hours.   vegan meal? or kosher meal?   are vegan also kosher right? what includes... i think ksml copa includes from ccs a banana and apple.  but who knows about vegan meal?

Online Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 44
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
Re: VEGETARIAN MEAL on COPA AIRLINES vs. KOSHER MEAL
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 08:03:05 AM »
I'm not quite understanding your question :o, but I could say that the KSML ex-PTY is utterly inedible. Anything will probably be better than that.
Check out my site for epic kosher adventures: Kosher Horizons

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 08:30:17 AM »
Vegan meals are most definitely not kosher.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline mgarfin

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2016, 09:46:57 AM »
Vegan can still be bushul akum.

Ex PTY I got a ksml from Shem Tov from Chile, did not try hot dish (didn't know anything about kashrut)

Offline ChasunaFund

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2016, 11:29:36 AM »
8) Hi everyone, am just curious was better choice for a meal with Copa Airlines on flight ccs pty short flight 2 hours.   vegan meal? or kosher meal?   are vegan also kosher right? what includes... i think ksml copa includes from ccs a banana and apple.  but who knows about vegan meal?
Why would you think Vegan meal is kosher?

AFAIK there is no Vegan "Hashgocho" and even if there was, I highly doubt it would disqualify from "Vegan" status anything that might have בליעה from נבלות וטריפות! besides for many additional issues.

Back in the days of Pan Am (when it was 30k miles for a round trip to TLV and you got that by getting 3x mile on a round trip NYC-HNL) I used to request a Fresh Fruit meal. Not always did I get it, and not always was I able to eat everything (though back in those days no-one spoke about problems with Strawberries), but was always better than ordering KSML, as KSML was often non-Cholov Yisroel, and I am very particular with Fleishig shechita etc.). At least the Fresh Fruit was almost always fresh, and I had no significant Kashrus issues. Whatever I got was always in addition to whatever I brought along with me for the flight.

Offline zow

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2016, 02:16:51 PM »

AFAIK there is no Vegan "Hashgocho" and even if there was, I highly doubt it would disqualify from "Vegan" status anything that might have בליעה from נבלות וטריפות! besides for many additional issues.

Back in the days of Pan Am (when it was 30k miles for a round trip to TLV and you got that by getting 3x mile on a round trip NYC-HNL) I used to request a Fresh Fruit meal. Not always did I get it, and not always was I able to eat everything (though back in those days no-one spoke about problems with Strawberries), but was always better than ordering KSML, as KSML was often non-Cholov Yisroel, and I am very particular with Fleishig shechita etc.). At least the Fresh Fruit was almost always fresh, and I had no significant Kashrus issues. Whatever I got was always in addition to whatever I brought along with me for the flight.

What's Pan Am?  ;)

Offline sky121

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2016, 02:31:28 PM »
I get Fruit meals on Lufthansa often. Eat what I can.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Online aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2016, 05:00:05 PM »

There can also be many more issues.
http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/547235/jewish/Are-vegan-restaurants-kosher.htm
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline eliteflyer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2016, 05:50:22 PM »
This thread is more interesting for the Pan Am discussion than anything else in it.

Offline ChasunaFund

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2016, 01:32:48 PM »
This thread is more interesting for the Pan Am discussion than anything else in it.
Oh, those were the days. Buy one ticket JFK-HNL and then fly for life (not my life, but PanAm's life) for free JFK-TLV, as well as XXX-JFK.

Then when DL took over, for a while was able to get JFK-TLV in J for same and a domestic in F to go along. I will never forget how we had a 747 waiting on the runway for DW and myself to arrive on a connecting flight from PSP. When we landed in LAX we were rushed with a van to the 747, got settled in row 1, door closed behind us, and we took off.

Offline Ergel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2016, 02:26:49 PM »
Oh, those were the days. Buy one ticket JFK-HNL and then fly for life (not my life, but PanAm's life) for free JFK-TLV, as well as XXX-JFK.
Now this sounds like a story please do tell

Then when DL took over, for a while was able to get JFK-TLV in J for same and a domestic in F to go along. I will never forget how we had a 747 waiting on the runway for DW and myself to arrive on a connecting flight from PSP. When we landed in LAX we were rushed with a van to the 747, got settled in row 1, door closed behind us, and we took off.
Amazing
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline ChasunaFund

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2016, 03:24:42 PM »
Now this sounds like a story please do tell
Amazing
I guess PanAm was in trouble, so they were awarding triple miles. Those were also the days of paper tickets (and when you redeemed a flight award you also got a car rental coupon to go along - though I never used those). You could choose to get a certificate, which you would exchange for a ticket at a ticket counter, or a ticket.

So in essence what you had was multiple points of interaction where you might get someone to give you more or better than the "rules" say. Then there were also "games" people played with the ticket coupons, which were commonly stapled to boarding passes (don't forget to take a stapler along with you to the airport), or some boarding passes were even structured as a "pocket" to accommodate the flight coupon from the ticket.

When DL took over, some agents couldn't decipher the difference between an award WITHIN Europe (TLV was considered Europe back them) and an award TO Europe, which gave us some rich award tickets at dirt cheap mileage redemptions.