Author Topic: The Future of Lakewood  (Read 518529 times)

Offline LNS

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: The Future of Lakewood
« Reply #1600 on: March 03, 2022, 01:38:31 PM »
I don't see anyone who is unhappy about that

do you see the other conversation going on here?

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #1601 on: March 03, 2022, 01:39:29 PM »
do you see the other conversation going on here?
Yes and the chip on your shoulder is becoming more obvious with each post.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Moshe123

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Lost
« Reply #1602 on: March 03, 2022, 01:42:12 PM »
The argument about starting a new community in 2022 is faulty. it's extremely hard to start with no infrastructure, and going to KJ is not an option for most Boro Parkers. They aren't welcome and don't want to go either.
Monsey which was the other serious option also got a big influx, but Lakewood had more land available and was much cheaper.

No recent new communities were successful beyond a small core. We have explosive natural growth bh and even Lakewood is no longer enough.

Offline LNS

• View Profile
« Reply #1603 on: March 03, 2022, 01:56:37 PM »

sorry but that isn't the case
i don't feel anyone took anything away from anyone and all im doing is trying to point out why
nothing personal

Offline YitzyS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #1604 on: March 03, 2022, 02:09:23 PM »
I have a different view.

The real bad people here are the builders who come into the Planning Board begging for variances because "Lakewood residents need places to live," and after they get their ridiculous variances, they don't even advertise those houses in Lakewood! And yes, certain Planning Board members are equally guilty.

Offline knowitall

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1605 on: March 03, 2022, 02:15:37 PM »
I have a different view.

The real bad people here are the builders who come into the Planning Board begging for variances because "Lakewood residents need places to live," and after they get their ridiculous variances, they don't even advertise those houses in Lakewood! And yes, certain Planning Board members are equally guilty.
And get tax abatements too!

Offline knowitall

• View Profile
« Reply #1606 on: March 03, 2022, 02:22:20 PM »
Food for thought: In Non-jewish circles "affordable housing" is talked about a lot. In the frum world, not at all. We have chesed/tzedaka orgs for every other need, but no focus is on housing costs. If there was a not for profit development, I'm sure many would donate in order enable young families to have a manageable mortgage for the rest of their lives. Obviously, labor/land/materials all went up drastically, and neighboring towns have been anti-development for years, so there will be a lot of opposition.

Offline avromie7

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #1607 on: March 03, 2022, 03:10:31 PM »
Food for thought: In Non-jewish circles "affordable housing" is talked about a lot. In the frum world, not at all. We have chesed/tzedaka orgs for every other need, but no focus is on housing costs. If there was a not for profit development, I'm sure many would donate in order enable young families to have a manageable mortgage for the rest of their lives. Obviously, labor/land/materials all went up drastically, and neighboring towns have been anti-development for years, so there will be a lot of opposition.
There is some affordable housing built in Lakewood, it's called Lakewood Commons.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #1608 on: March 03, 2022, 03:28:31 PM »
+1, but I'll respond regardless.

+1
also why cant people be happy that these people who are living in cramped tiny apartments with many kids can finally have some breathing room in a more heimishe environment... do only the " litvish" people deserve to have backyards? i don't mean to sound mean but seriously these are fellow jews who are looking to improve there families living arrangements and want all the same comforts and conveniences that you do
Why are you assuming we don't want yidden to have better living arrangements instead of assuming we don't want our living arrangements to become the same as the ones you are trying to leave.

The argument about starting a new community in 2022 is faulty. it's extremely hard to start with no infrastructure, and going to KJ is not an option for most Boro Parkers. They aren't welcome and don't want to go either.
Monsey which was the other serious option also got a big influx, but Lakewood had more land available and was much cheaper.

No recent new communities were successful beyond a small core. We have explosive natural growth bh and even Lakewood is no longer enough.
Nothing happens overnight, Lakewood took over 50 years to become what it is today. Linden is definitely making some real progress.

Offline yelped

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #1609 on: March 03, 2022, 03:34:24 PM »
Kula Alma Moideh that we need more housing options. What is going on in Lakewood is crazy. The city has not been properly planned. Happens to be the ones coming from Brooklyn are ok with it because Brooklyn is worse. But there is no reason we should not be living a little more spread out and in normally planned developments. See all the non Jewish developments in Florida, etc.

Offline Yehudaa

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 111
    • View Profile
« Reply #1610 on: March 03, 2022, 03:35:22 PM »

While it's a great idea, there are some challenges involved. Here's what I know from where I live and work, though obviously I'm sure some things are very different in other markets:
  • Good developers in my market target a 15% profit margin on costs (not-such-great developers may target that too, but often fall short of that). Even if a developer built some housing for zero profit, we're still not talking about a 20, 30 or 40% discount- we're talking about 10-15% discount at best. I don't know if that'll really change the market for many.
  • Construction is a very expensive endeavor, so obviously developers finance their construction with huge loans. Under normal terms, lenders will not finance projects where the margins are too thin or nonexistant- they need to see that the developer has healthy profits modeled so they have some room for cost overruns or delays before the project is in the red.
  • Because development is so expensive, it would take an astronomical amount of donations to make significant change- think about how much money you want to subsidize each family's home and then multiply that by the number of families you'd want to help. Not exactly a simple Charidy-type raise.
  • In the market where I work, most new construction in the 'affordable housing' buzzword category has some sort of government involvement, either in the form of public funding, government-backed loans, or legal mandates to build a certain % of your development as affordable. Doing it privately seems much more challenging to make sense of.

Offline biobook

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1611 on: March 03, 2022, 03:50:48 PM »
Food for thought: In Non-jewish Democrat circles "affordable housing" is talked about a lot. In Republican circles, which today includes much of the frum world, not at all.
FTFY

Offline LNS

• View Profile
« Reply #1612 on: March 03, 2022, 03:56:51 PM »
Why are you assuming we don't want yidden to have better living arrangements instead of assuming we don't want our living arrangements to become the same as the ones you are trying to leave.

the conversation started because of the focus on the type of people
i didn't mention anything about Lakewood infrastructure actually
i agree that's an issue but if you read some of the comments here its doesn't seem to be the focus ...thats all

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #1613 on: March 03, 2022, 04:01:55 PM »
the conversation started because of the effects of groups moving to Lakewood on those who are already here

FTFY

Offline LNS

• View Profile
« Reply #1614 on: March 03, 2022, 04:05:30 PM »
FTFY

please explain this comment 

The chassidim are taking over "old Lakewood". This has been going on since way before the chassidim took over south Lakewood.

maybe being that reading has no tone im having a hard time "hearing" it the way you are
« Last Edit: March 03, 2022, 04:13:32 PM by LNS »

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #1615 on: March 03, 2022, 04:33:44 PM »
please explain this comment 

maybe being that reading has no tone im having a hard time "hearing" it the way you are

It was in response to this post.
I bought my house in Lakewood right before the big "Hasidic" move (May 2014), 10 year old houses in developments were about double what they cost originally. The "Hasidics" are hardly entirely at fault here. Besides for the fact, the "Hasidics" aren't buying houses in the center of Lakewood, yet prices have inflated there as well.

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #1616 on: March 03, 2022, 04:36:31 PM »
the conversation started because of the focus on the type of people
i didn't mention anything about Lakewood infrastructure actually
i agree that's an issue but if you read some of the comments here its doesn't seem to be the focus ...thats all
I'm not sure how to respond to this when your "evidence" is one of my posts that you clearly misunderstood.

Offline LNS

• View Profile
« Reply #1617 on: March 03, 2022, 04:41:44 PM »
I'm not sure how to respond to this when your "evidence" is one of my posts that you clearly misunderstood.

i understand it was in response to that
i guess your choice of words (taking over) is what caused me to read it that way

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #1618 on: March 03, 2022, 04:53:42 PM »
i guess your choice of words (taking over) is what caused me to read it that way
I didn't mean to sound bitter about it, I wasn't sure how else to point out that chassidim are buying up all available houses in "old Lakewood". There must be dozens of shteeblech in that square mile. As someone who grew up there, I see it first hand.

ETA: I shouldn't say all available houses, but many of them.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #1619 on: March 03, 2022, 04:59:57 PM »
See how I made peace here?
Wow twice this week. Who's next?