Author Topic: The Future of Lakewood  (Read 524748 times)

Offline WonderingYid

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: The Future of Lakewood
« Reply #2060 on: July 13, 2022, 11:56:39 PM »
Are they losing sight of what their role is in our society?
They lost sight years ago.

Offline drosenberg88429

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2061 on: July 14, 2022, 12:29:04 AM »
Prosecutorial misconduct across the spectrum is a horrific abomination, and the overwhelming rule rather than an aberration. Innocence and guilt are irrelevant, truth is a non factor, and woe unto he that dares go to trial instead of taking a false plea deal. The criminal justice system in America is a deplorable perversion of anything remotely resembling justice.

I actually read an article a while ago about an idealistic prosecutor. The person started off in public defense after graduating law, and was very quickly turned off. There was no concept of actually bettering society in public defense - the job was just to process cases as quickly as possible so they don't take up time and resources, and to convince the hapless defendants to take a plea deal. The concept of actually defending, presenting a proper trial to ascertain guilt beyond a reasonable doubt, or protecting rights was non-existent. Rather than moving on to corporate law like most burnt out public defenders do, he transitioned to prosecution, where he could actually work to convict those who were guilty of heinous crimes, and to fight misconduct and underhanded tactics on frivolous and absurd cases being brought to his office to prosecute. An upstanding prosecutor is in a much better position to make a positive impact than an honorable lawyer (who are basically mandated to defend as assigned, innocent or not) or judge.

Offline yuneeq

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2062 on: July 14, 2022, 12:44:13 AM »
https://www.app.com/story/news/local/courts/2022/07/12/lakewood-nj-schi-founder-new-trial/65371876007/

A quote from the article

Paone wrote that the state was aware Janowski made the ledger entry in question, but didn't call her to testify at the first trial and didn't turn over her identity to the defense. Despite that, Paone said he found no "willful misconduct" by the state to withhold exculpatory evidence from the defense.

If Paone judge who threw out the conviction doesn't think there was willful misconduct then good luck convincing Murphy or anyone else

That’s twisting abut what actually happened. Paone knew there was misconduct but due to a technicality he had “no evidence” to prove that it was withheld intentionally.

https://newjerseyglobe.com/judiciary/prosecutor-violated-brady-rule-by-not-turning-over-evidence-judge-says/

“Prosecutors argued that they did not suppress evidence because the QuickBooks data was produced before the trial.  But Paone determined that the entry as “merely one line buried in a thumb drive of presumably countless pages of journal entries, and which was key to the state’s case.”

“To meticulously sift through this morass of information and predict the entry the state intended to rely on surely would have demanded a herculean effort,” Paone stated in his ruling.  “Even if Janowski’s involvement was discoverable diligence prior to trial, her testimony, if believed, would completely exonerate (Eisemann).”

Paone slammed Nicodemo and the other prosecutors for the Brady violation.

“The state clearly had known the source of the ledge entry at issue in this case long before the trial, but the state chose not to call Janowski (as a witness),” Paone noted.

But Paone said there was “no evidence” that there was willful misconduct by prosecutors to commit a Brady violation.
Visibly Jewish

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #2063 on: July 14, 2022, 12:57:02 AM »
Of course it is a witch hunt. That has nothing to do with how terribly unrealistic your expectations are

I think you are mistaking me for someone that believes Murphy is such a good friend that can do no wrong and would do more if was able.

The reality is I don’t expect Murphy to do anything because he is the one responsible for it in the first place. A well-publicized witch hunt dragging on 5 years over a possible minor criminal act does not happen without his explicit approval.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2022, 01:00:21 AM by yuneeq »
Visibly Jewish

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #2064 on: July 14, 2022, 01:11:51 AM »
I actually read an article a while ago about an idealistic prosecutor…

Nice surprise ending. I thought it would end that he got fired because his conviction rate wasn’t high enough, and didn’t bully enough people into plea bargains.
Visibly Jewish

Offline drosenberg88429

• View Profile
« Reply #2065 on: July 14, 2022, 01:30:33 AM »
Nice surprise ending. I thought it would end that he got fired because his conviction rate wasn’t high enough, and didn’t bully enough people into plea bargains.

That probably happened eventually. The system probably got upset at him for the article, found a time he bought a label online for a 7 oz package which turned out to be 8 oz, and sentenced him to 70 years in Alcatraz for mail fraud, wire fraud, and conspiracy (25, 25, and 20 years respectively, for some of the most nebulous and ubiquitous charges in existence). Can't fight the government.

Offline drosenberg88429

• View Profile
« Reply #2066 on: July 14, 2022, 01:45:47 AM »
There's an old joke about a military hunting competition between the US Army, the IDF, and the KGB. They had a competition who could capture and bring back alive an assigned wild animal from the forest the fastest.

The first to go was the US Army, which was assigned to capture a lion. After 6 hours, they triumphantly came back with a lion in tow. When asked how they did it, they said "With our superior manpower, we posted scouts and reconnaissance all over the area until a lion was spotted, then surrounded the area with Marines and stormed him. Lion didn't have a chance against our overwhelming might and resources."

Next, the IDF was assigned to capture a gorilla. After 4 hours, they came back bearing a gorilla. When asked how they accomplished this feat, they said "We deployed our cutting edge surveillance and tracking technology to aerially locate the target, then sent in our crack special forces to infiltrate the area undetected. We snuck up and got him from behind, and got him out without any of the other animals noticing."

Next, the KGB was instructed to ensnare a bear. The team set off, and after 30 minutes, came back with a mouse. The judges looked at them confusedly and said "That's a mouse, not a bear."

"Sure it's a bear", responded the KGB team. "Just ask it. It confessed."

Sometimes I think that's the American criminal justice prosecutorial system in a nutshell.

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #2067 on: July 14, 2022, 08:27:31 AM »
I think you are mistaking me for someone that believes Murphy is such a good friend that can do no wrong and would do more if was able.

The reality is I don’t expect Murphy to do anything because he is the one responsible for it in the first place. A well-publicized witch hunt dragging on 5 years over a possible minor criminal act does not happen without his explicit approval.
No I am not mistaking you for that at all. I think your connecting this to Murphy is entirely unreasonable.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Randomex

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: MSPaint, Notepad, Firefox, VLC Media Player - Old sig quote was found in Reb Mendel and His Wisdom
« Reply #2068 on: July 14, 2022, 10:16:11 PM »

What's the NCA?

Do you want to play a board game, digitally or in Lakewood NJ? PM me. (Can be asynchronous, i.e. take turns whenever)

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #2069 on: July 14, 2022, 10:23:33 PM »

What's the NCA?
Probably the National Chaplains Association

Offline Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #2070 on: July 15, 2022, 10:14:00 AM »

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #2071 on: July 15, 2022, 11:03:17 AM »
No I am not mistaking you for that at all. I think your connecting this to Murphy is entirely unreasonable.

I think it’s fairly naive to believe that Murphy has not tacitly approved the witch hunt when half of Lakewood has had the chance to discuss the matter with him. You don’t appeal twice and violate the Brady rule unless Murphy is okay with it. If all the details of the story stayed the same but you swap Letitia James or Cuomo in, you’d be singing a different tune.
Visibly Jewish

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #2072 on: July 15, 2022, 11:28:55 AM »
I think it’s fairly naive to believe that Murphy has not tacitly approved the witch hunt when half of Lakewood has had the chance to discuss the matter with him. You don’t appeal twice and violate the Brady rule unless Murphy is okay with it. If all the details of the story stayed the same but you swap Letitia James or Cuomo in, you’d be singing a different tune.

Just the opposite. I guarantee you that he gave the same answer to all those who brought it up. "I cannot get involved in prosecutorial decisions".  I would not be saying anything different whether it was NY Federal or anything else. I think it more likely that if it was a case you didn't feel connected to you would be singing a different tune.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2022, 01:09:35 PM by aygart »
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline YitzyS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #2073 on: July 15, 2022, 06:49:08 PM »
This was posted by a Democrat State Senator in NJ

Offline Sam 77

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2074 on: July 15, 2022, 06:56:51 PM »

Oh wow who got him on board?

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #2075 on: July 15, 2022, 07:12:15 PM »
Just the opposite. I guarantee you that he gave the same answer to all those who brought it up. "I cannot get involved in prosecutorial decisions".  I would not be saying anything different whether it was NY Federal or anything else. I think it more likely that if it was a case you didn't feel connected to you would be singing a different tune.

Oh, I’m sure he says it, and he’s full of hot air. I am also sure there have been plenty of cases where Murphy quietly had prosecutors back down or avoid pursuing someone that he favors more. And when a judge calls out your high ranking employee for misconduct and you don’t follow up on it, you're either approving the misconduct or a coward.

And yes, unfortunately, I am - and have always been - biased against prosecutorial misconduct, and those that enable it. I don’t have any connection to ROE or any of the other cases that I’ve been against.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2022, 07:20:52 PM by yuneeq »
Visibly Jewish

Offline yuneeq

• View Profile
« Reply #2076 on: July 15, 2022, 07:20:16 PM »

Glad to have him take a strong stance - I’m assuming he’s a Jew from Lakewood
Visibly Jewish

Offline YitzyS