Author Topic: The Future of Lakewood  (Read 506321 times)

Offline RGoldstein

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: The Future of Lakewood
« Reply #3060 on: June 05, 2023, 11:12:30 PM »
What is going on with Route 9 at night? Why can't Lakewood PD get their act together!?!?

Offline RGoldstein

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3061 on: June 05, 2023, 11:17:39 PM »
Going south on Rt 9 Prospect closed no cops in sight, took detour route through Prospect and Williams, back onto 9, there were literally cones blocking Rt 9 again with no cops or lights, super dangerous, cars making u turns, no where to go but into Sterling Place!?!? Sterling Place is a no outlet, where are we supposed to go!?!? Makes no sense again cars making uturns holding up traffic going both directions. Why can't there be police with a normal detour rt, and don't make a detour through Williams that leads no where. I called Chaveirim they said they were getting 10s of calls and directed me to 911 because it isn't their problem.

Offline RGoldstein

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3062 on: June 05, 2023, 11:19:48 PM »
Mind you I got a cone stuck under my car because it was laid on the shoulder where people were making uturns.

Offline YitzyS

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #3063 on: June 05, 2023, 11:27:32 PM »
The cops in Lakewood blocking streets has been a disaster for more than a year already. So little planning, so frustrating to drive in Lakewood at night.

Offline herb

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3064 on: June 05, 2023, 11:36:06 PM »
Beyond frustrating! They will literally send you in circles

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #3065 on: June 05, 2023, 11:41:41 PM »
Beyond frustrating! They will literally send you in circles
What I find most frustrating is that there is no advance warning. Almost always you can take a simple detour. But if you don't know that a road is closed until you actually get there, you end up going in circles.

I have no objection to working at night in Lakewood. But the committee should mandate that there be two or three times the number of officers required, with a real plan on how to direct traffic.

Offline RGoldstein

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3066 on: June 05, 2023, 11:43:58 PM »
What I find most frustrating is that there is no advance warning. Almost always you can take a simple detour. But if you don't know that a road is closed until you actually get there, you end up going in circles.

I have no objection to working at night in Lakewood. But the committee should mandate that there be two or three times the number of officers required, with a real plan on how to direct traffic.
Exactly it's not like they don't know the roads and times they'll be working.

Offline Pony

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3067 on: June 06, 2023, 09:44:22 AM »
I think that the actual prosecutors have immunity, but perhaps he can sue the state. However, barring any major bombshells, legal experts have told me that it's very hard to get anything beyond (maybe) legal expenses, which in this case happen to be really significant

Why are prosecutors above the law?

Offline dasmo801

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3068 on: June 07, 2023, 03:02:44 PM »
Hershel Hershkowitz filed paperwork to run for Lakewood Township Committee as an independent. (FAA)

Offline chff

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 25
    • View Profile
  • Programs: All of them...

Offline yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #3070 on: June 07, 2023, 03:54:21 PM »

Offline ari3

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3071 on: June 07, 2023, 04:14:47 PM »
Hershel Hershkowitz filed paperwork to run for Lakewood Township Committee as an independent. (FAA)
He picked a good spot. An off year hence low turnout. Additionally there is only one incumbent in Mayor Coles and he doesn't have as much support as some of the othercommitee members.

That being said unless he can get some large factions behind him he isn't going anywhere.

Offline Pony

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3072 on: June 07, 2023, 04:33:10 PM »

Offline imayid2

• View Profile

Offline WayBackMachine

• View Profile
« Reply #3074 on: June 12, 2023, 12:26:42 PM »
- TVOL apologies  for publishing a article a few weeks ago in a financial column that questioned the kollel way of life. It triggered angry responses from  readers. The paper said that it was a misjudgment to print it as it does not reflect the Lakewood standard

Offline dasmo801

• View Profile
« Reply #3075 on: June 12, 2023, 01:14:48 PM »
- TVOL apologies  for publishing a article a few weeks ago in a financial column that questioned the kollel way of life. It triggered angry responses from  readers. The paper said that it was a misjudgment to print it as it does not reflect the Lakewood standard

Boggles my mind that people who sincerely try to be careful about who and what has access to their kids minds, don't think twice about allowing all these publications in their house. And I'm not even referring to the articles. Within the first ten pages your kids will get the subtle message about what your bathroom, kitchen, living room, bedroom and landscaping SHOULD look like. Kids minds are not mature enough to understand that these pictures represent the reality of a small percentage of homes. Instead, the message that little Chanie is missing out on the 'good life' slowly but surely seeps into their consciousness, over time creating a sense of discontentment that will not easily go away. And all for what? So you can keep up to date about the latest serial installment of whatever dysfunctional family is being featured?     

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile

Offline nucheiner

• View Profile
« Reply #3077 on: June 12, 2023, 05:06:28 PM »
Boggles my mind that people who sincerely try to be careful about who and what has access to their kids minds, don't think twice about allowing all these publications in their house. And I'm not even referring to the articles. Within the first ten pages your kids will get the subtle message about what your bathroom, kitchen, living room, bedroom and landscaping SHOULD look like. Kids minds are not mature enough to understand that these pictures represent the reality of a small percentage of homes. Instead, the message that little Chanie is missing out on the 'good life' slowly but surely seeps into their consciousness, over time creating a sense of discontentment that will not easily go away. And all for what? So you can keep up to date about the latest serial installment of whatever dysfunctional family is being featured?     
Would've thought you were a closed minded "chayeinu" guy some time ago but its gotten out of hand. The occasional luxury Pesach program ad in the Ami is just some unrealistic dream for little Chanie. But once it becomes an onslaught of messaging and marketing it creates norms, or seemingly so.

There is plenty of room between Chayeinu and the TVOL though. It would also seem hard to turn down an advertiser based on a gashmius cap, how exactly do you define it?

Offline flyingace

• View Profile
« Reply #3078 on: June 12, 2023, 06:29:29 PM »
YEARS ago a friend’s daughter came home from a classmate’s house astounded that her friend had linen in her bedroom “from a Chinese auction”!
Today she would not be so naive…she would name the store and price! It’s not just the”good life”-the standard for every type of gashmiyus is being raised to abnormal heights. I don’t blame only the advertisers but the folks at Chayeinu are not wrong.

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #3079 on: June 12, 2023, 06:51:59 PM »
In addition to being very careful with what our children are exposed to, it also really helps to give our kids a sense of pride in our Torahdik way of life, including that we are truly lucky to live "yeshivish," a life rich from ruchniyos, without the need for all those "Luxos" to make us feel rich.

Obviously, it takes a lot of work, and you have to lead by example, but I try very hard to infuse this in my children. Hopefully I will be successful.