Author Topic: The Future of Lakewood  (Read 523821 times)

Offline Euclid

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Re: The Future of Lakewood
« Reply #4640 on: March 26, 2024, 10:50:45 AM »
Depends what you mean by "support Israel"
As I understand it, from my upbringing and from my chinuch (45+ year in Lakewood and Lakewood type yeshivos)
Lakewood, and the Yeshiva World in general believe:

Eretz Yisrael: Every inch of land is Holy.
Secular Zionism: Bad, at times - evil.
Religious Zionism: Misguided
Establishment of the State of Israel: Mixed feelings. Might have been a necessary evil.
Holiness of the State of Israel: non existent.
The Flag: Zero religious significance, a symbol of a non Torah (and often, anti Torah) based political entity.
After the fact, publicly support the security needs of the State, including the IDF: Absolutely.

Not really looking to debate the merits of any of these points. Just clarifying what I believe the general mindset is.

Yeah I said it backwards; should've said that for the most part Lakewood isn't "anti Israel", and on a random day of the year there wouldnt be expression of hatred towards the flag.

Offline EliJelly

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4641 on: March 26, 2024, 11:15:33 AM »
Oh, no question. I wasn't wading into the "story" itself, which is a giant load of nothing. I didn't read the article, just the paragraphs quoted in this thread. The only thing surprising is that anyone would be surprised.

We must indict an entire neighborhood of tens of thousands of Jews based on the behaviour of a few people on Purim, of all days, responding to people wearing something they knew would be antagonistic. They could have had the article written before Purim.

I'm sure there were plenty who did, I see such pictures from all communities every year (this year was the tunnel digging angle, and it was popular in CH too). The difference is with this no one suspects them of dressing like that in solidarity, it is obviously being done ironically.

Great summary

Offline elazarb

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4642 on: March 26, 2024, 01:46:42 PM »
"The first occasion occurred on the corner of Central and where Madison turns into River. A person who looked like a Jew (wore a black hat, had a beard and payos), drove a car like a Jew (older version Toyota Sienna), screamed out the window with his entire family in the car “TZIYONIM!!!!”, his wife mortified at his behavior. The second incident happened at the corner of Jackson Pines and New Central, a couple of assumed inebriated young men tried pulling our Israeli Flag out of our car while screaming “TZIYONIM!!!! Sheigitz!!” The third incident occurred outside a shul in the Hearthstone neighborhood (since you think this is made up feel free to ask the shul and who the Rov is because I can whip up a “made up” name for you [ie I know the shul and the Rov, you idiots]) where a father egged on his young son to scream “why are you wearing a towel on your back?” to one of the members of our family who was wearing an Israeli flag. The fourth incident occurred at the corner of Mark and Pine where two adolescents almost had an aneurysm when they saw the Israeli flag- they screamed “TZIYONIM!”, came out our car with fists."
Hard to belive this story at all. As anyone who has driven in Lakewood knows, you can't really be at central and madison, then jackson pines and new central, heartstone, and then marc and pine all on the same day, certainly not on Purim!

Offline ari3

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4643 on: March 26, 2024, 09:08:34 PM »
"The first occasion occurred on the corner of Central and where Madison turns into River. A person who looked like a Jew (wore a black hat, had a beard and payos), drove a car like a Jew (older version Toyota Sienna), screamed out the window with his entire family in the car “TZIYONIM!!!!”, his wife mortified at his behavior. The second incident happened at the corner of Jackson Pines and New Central, a couple of assumed inebriated young men tried pulling our Israeli Flag out of our car while screaming “TZIYONIM!!!! Sheigitz!!” The third incident occurred outside a shul in the Hearthstone neighborhood (since you think this is made up feel free to ask the shul and who the Rov is because I can whip up a “made up” name for you [ie I know the shul and the Rov, you idiots]) where a father egged on his young son to scream “why are you wearing a towel on your back?” to one of the members of our family who was wearing an Israeli flag. The fourth incident occurred at the corner of Mark and Pine where two adolescents almost had an aneurysm when they saw the Israeli flag- they screamed “TZIYONIM!”, came out our car with fists."
Hard to belive this story at all. As anyone who has driven in Lakewood knows, you can't really be at central and madison, then jackson pines and new central, heartstone, and then marc and pine all on the same day, certainly not on Purim!
sounds like they were driving around looking for trouble.

Offline EliJelly

• View Profile
« Reply #4644 on: March 26, 2024, 09:11:25 PM »
sounds like they were driving around looking for trouble.

Just looking to inspire others with a "public display of a love for Eretz Yisroel".

Offline Eliyohu

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4645 on: March 26, 2024, 11:36:54 PM »
Good thing he wasn’t by the BMG Purim night Tish in Bais Aharon where the IDF and Israeli government was soundly lambasted in the speech.
I know someone who's flagged was ripped away from them at BMG and was explained "wouldn't you rip away a bad magazine from your friend if you saw him reading one"

Offline dealfinder11

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile

Offline torashaman

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4647 on: March 28, 2024, 12:16:19 PM »

Dont understand what the problem is.
If i would walk through the 5 towns with a Palestinian flag the reactions would be much worse.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2024, 12:22:07 PM by torashaman »

Offline Just A Jew

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4648 on: March 28, 2024, 12:21:10 PM »
If i would walk through the 5 towns with a Palestenian flag the reactions would be much worse.

Username checks out.
Freedom of the press is alive at the US Mint.
- Gallagher

Offline Sammy82

• View Profile
« Reply #4649 on: March 28, 2024, 12:32:48 PM »
If i would walk through the 5 towns with a Palestinian flag the reactions would be much worse.
Not sure what much worse means but if you're saying that you would be attacked (even just verbally), I wouldn't bet on it. B"H our schools and many rabbonim teach our kids how to act to those who think differently from us, just as the parents in the community demonstrate/expect/reinforce.

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #4650 on: March 28, 2024, 12:41:06 PM »
Not sure what much worse means but if you're saying that you would be attacked (even just verbally), I wouldn't bet on it. B"H our schools and many rabbonim teach our kids how to act to those who think differently from us, just as the parents in the community demonstrate/expect/reinforce.
What about as neturei karta?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Sammy82

• View Profile
« Reply #4651 on: March 28, 2024, 12:46:19 PM »
If they walk through our community? I don't think anything would happen. People would just ignore them. But I may be wrong.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #4652 on: March 28, 2024, 01:09:49 PM »
If they walk through our community? I don't think anything would happen. People would just ignore them. But I may be wrong.
And I'm some of the more Zionist communities?

Offline Sammy82

• View Profile
« Reply #4653 on: March 28, 2024, 01:27:29 PM »
I can't speak for other communities. I also don't know how you rate the 5towns community and how you rate other communities.
But frankly, who cares?

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #4654 on: March 28, 2024, 01:53:57 PM »
I would bet on it

Offline yelped

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #4655 on: March 28, 2024, 03:06:49 PM »
Who wouldn't?

Offline EliJelly

• View Profile
« Reply #4656 on: March 28, 2024, 03:26:22 PM »

There you go

Who wouldn't?

Offline EliJelly

• View Profile
« Reply #4657 on: March 28, 2024, 03:32:45 PM »
Verbally attacking NK in action is like spraying your water bottle on a wildfire.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #4658 on: March 28, 2024, 03:34:39 PM »
There you go
So this is not about what they allegedly said but rather what they said it about?

Offline yelped

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #4659 on: March 28, 2024, 05:58:29 PM »
Verbally attacking NK in action is like spraying your water bottle on a wildfire.
Agreed, but seeing "Jews" side with terrorists is not something that anyone can take sitting down.

This is not about arguing whether or not a State at this point of time is legitimate or not like Satmar and others.