Author Topic: The Future of Lakewood  (Read 505211 times)

Offline yzj

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: The Future of Lakewood
« Reply #1260 on: October 21, 2021, 09:35:08 AM »

The pumpkin picture is absolutely mind boggling. I have no idea who was in charge of the decor but this is very upsetting. It would be upsetting enough to stam walk into a frum home this time of the year and see that tablescape, but to then seat the roshei yeshiva and poskim around that table???

Yeah the other day I walked into a chasunah and they had corned beef. With all of the Rosh Yeshivas there no less. Ask any non Jew and corned beef is synonymous with St Patrick’s day. היתכן?

And birthday cakes. How do frum households borrow a ritual that was started as an offering to the Greek Moon Goddess Artemis?

Artemis was the goddess of the moon (amongst other things), so on the monthly anniversary of her birthday, the Greeks would bake a round, full-moon-shaped cake in her honor. The bread-like cake was sweetened with honey, and its sweet taste was meant to imbue the occasion with pleasant sweetness they wanted to convey to their goddess. There is evidence suggesting that lighted candles were put on the cake to let the cake glow like the luminous moon.

Sometime during the Middle Ages the kinderfest tradition developed where children’s birthdays were celebrated with cake and candles.  Before the cake was eaten, the candles were blown out as the child made a wish. The idea was that the extinguished candles’ smoke would help convey the wish up to God in heaven, to help it be fulfilled. This belief that smoke from a fire brings messages up to the heavenly gods was borrowed from earlier pagan rites.

Yet walk into most jewish houses and there is the child blowing out the candles on a birthday cake. Where is the hergesh?

And let’s not even get into shlissel challah....

:)

« Last Edit: October 21, 2021, 09:54:42 AM by yzj »

Offline yuneeq

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: October 21, 2021, 09:40:10 AM »
Mods, please split the thread to:

Gourd Your Eyes, Gorge Your Mouth: how to carve yourself out of evil pumpkin and chukas hagoi holiday displays, plus delicious pumpkin pie recipes

I preferred reading -
Cheater, Cheater, Pumpkin Eater: The Story of Lakewood Corruption and the Path Towards Pagan Holiday Observance
Visibly Jewish

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #1262 on: October 21, 2021, 09:54:29 AM »
Yeah the other day I walked into a chasunah and they had corned beef. With all of the Rosh Yeshivas there no less. Ask any non Jew and corned beef is synonymous with St Patrick’s day. היתכן?

And birthday cakes. How do frum households take a ritual that was started as an offering to the Greek Moon Goddess Artemis?

Artemis was the goddess of the moon (amongst other things), so on the monthly anniversary of her birthday, the Greeks would bake a round, full-moon-shaped cake in her honor. The bread-like cake was sweetened with honey, and its sweet taste was meant to imbue the occasion with pleasant sweetness they wanted to convey to their goddess. There is evidence suggesting that lighted candles were put on the cake to let the cake glow like the luminous moon.

Sometime during the Middle Ages the kinderfest tradition developed where children’s birthdays were celebrated with cake and candles.  Before the cake was eaten, the candles were blown out as the child made a wish. The idea was that the extinguished candles’ smoke would help convey the wish up to God in heaven, to help it be fulfilled. This belief that smoke from a fire brings messages up to the heavenly gods was borrowed from earlier pagan rites.

Yet walk into most jewish houses and there is the child blowing out the candles on a birthday cake. Where is the hergesh?

Making a wish while blowing out the candles is very clearly from paganism and probably chukos akum
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline yzj

• View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: October 21, 2021, 10:02:53 AM »
Making a wish while blowing out the candles is very clearly from paganism and probably chukos akum
As is Thanksgiving, the holiday that was established as a religious day of prayer, fasting, and atonement and only later evolved into it’s current form, something Rav Moshe was quite likely unaware of.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: October 21, 2021, 10:04:08 AM »
As is Thanksgiving, the holiday that was established as a religious day of prayer, fasting, and atonement and only later evolved into it’s current form, something Rav Moshe was quite likely unaware of.
Very different. Blowing candles is an obvious actual  pagan ritual.

Offline yelped

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: October 21, 2021, 10:20:07 AM »
@yzj You left out the Noida Beyehuda.

Offline dasmo801

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: October 21, 2021, 11:57:20 AM »

And birthday cakes. How do frum households borrow a ritual that was started as an offering to the Greek Moon Goddess Artemis?

I agree with you regarding blowing out candles (or even putting candles on birthday cakes) and shlissel challah. I don't agree with the corned beef.

Offline Yehuda57

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #1267 on: October 21, 2021, 11:59:46 AM »
I think this diversion has run its course. Time to put this discussion to bed and turn it into a pumpkin.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: October 21, 2021, 12:01:10 PM »
I preferred reading -
Cheater, Cheater, Pumpkin Eater: The Story of Lakewood Corruption and the Path Towards Pagan Holiday Observance

עץ הדלעת טוב ורע
צלילה עמוקה בסוגיית חגי היבול בספרות חז״ל והשוואתם למנהגי עכו״ם בזה״ז
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline Ver hut gazugt

• View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: October 21, 2021, 12:06:32 PM »

I think there is some Nuance in this subject. Things that are used today for “religious” purposes by goyim are much more problematic then finding out about somethings true origin that outside Wikipedia no one knows about.
One thing that is interesting to me is why we use the year 2021 even though it is clearly comes from avodah Zara. 

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: October 21, 2021, 01:41:22 PM »
I think there is some Nuance in this subject. Things that are used today for “religious” purposes by goyim are much more problematic then finding out about somethings true origin that outside Wikipedia no one knows about.
One thing that is interesting to me is why we use the year 2021 even though it is clearly comes from avodah Zara. 

I see the nuance quite differently. Making a wish while blowing out candles is something very counter to תמים תהי' and is an actual pagan ritual that went down and is now minhag avosiehem biydiehem. THere is absolutely nothing religious about using the current harvest as a decorative item at all.

Offline EliJelly

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: October 21, 2021, 03:11:02 PM »
Many are makpid to write למספרם

Offline UKinNYS

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: October 21, 2021, 05:38:20 PM »
def. wins Most Yeshivish candidate contest
Only shayla was he wearing Charles Tyrwhitt shirt?
https://twitter.com/LakewoodNewsNet/status/1451237770341621762

Offline yzj

• View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: October 21, 2021, 06:53:33 PM »
def. wins Most Yeshivish candidate contest
Only shayla was he wearing Charles Tyrwhitt shirt?
https://twitter.com/LakewoodNewsNet/status/1451237770341621762
If he didn’t get them 3 for $99 he not yeshivish

Offline yesitsme

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: October 22, 2021, 12:08:12 PM »
- Gas in Lakewood averaging $3.45 a gallon, Basement apts if available going as high as $1800

Good
Bad
Crazy
Or klap on the bimah/shtender?
["-"]

Offline yzj

• View Profile
« Reply #1275 on: October 22, 2021, 12:17:44 PM »
Needed a change from the regular flowers for shabbos and saw these.

Offline yesitsme

• View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: October 22, 2021, 12:27:06 PM »
https://twitter.com/LakewoodNewsNet/status/1451585221619589146

What in the world is going on in this country?
["-"]

Offline avromie7

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: October 22, 2021, 01:57:49 PM »
- Gas in Lakewood averaging $3.45 a gallon, Basement apts if available going as high as $1800

Good
Bad
Crazy
Or klap on the bimah/shtender?
Where did you see $1800? Masa U'matan is up to 3 pages, I think inventory is slowly opening up.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline Euclid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: October 22, 2021, 02:01:42 PM »
Where did you see $1800? Masa U'matan is up to 3 pages, I think inventory is slowly opening up.
It's a quote from hefkervelt

Offline yesitsme

• View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: October 22, 2021, 02:02:30 PM »
It's a quote from hefkervelt
my neighbor just got 1750
["-"]