Author Topic: The Future of Lakewood  (Read 505247 times)

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
Re: The Future of Lakewood
« Reply #1460 on: January 21, 2022, 03:39:28 PM »
Cashier: “Sorry, no ID no beer. That’s the policy. Nothing to do about it”

yesitsme: “Let me tell you about AVC/H.264, traditional APK, AAB, skip grub boot loader, crop factor of 1.6, cmd And fixmbr, configure apache mpm to  event and php to php-fpm with fastcgi on Ubuntu 18 apache 2.4 php 7.2…. (all actual yesitsme posts)

cashier: “You want the beer delivered or you taking it ?”

*plot twist* yesitsme is a script kiddie/teenage hacker
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline yakov116

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1461 on: January 22, 2022, 11:08:09 PM »
Cashier: “Sorry, no ID no beer. That’s the policy. Nothing to do about it”

yesitsme: “Let me tell you about AVC/H.264, traditional APK, AAB, skip grub boot loader, crop factor of 1.6, cmd And fixmbr, configure apache mpm to  event and php to php-fpm with fastcgi on Ubuntu 18 apache 2.4 php 7.2…. (all actual yesitsme posts)

cashier: “You want the beer delivered or you taking it ?”
You forgot about the post on monitor energy saving.
Money talks...mine says goodbye!

Offline yesitsme

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1462 on: January 24, 2022, 08:17:45 PM »
https://hefkervelt.blogspot.com/2022/01/monday-january-24-news-updates-lakewood.html
The audio embedded is beyond my comprehension
What does rent prices have to do with a Ben Torah, unless you have yeshiva apartments you charge the fair value market rate

What about car rentals for bnei Torah? You want to give a discount it's very nice of you but to set standards? But it's not the full shuir and maybe it's out of context

Offline yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #1463 on: January 24, 2022, 09:40:24 PM »
https://hefkervelt.blogspot.com/2022/01/monday-january-24-news-updates-lakewood.html
The audio embedded is beyond my comprehension
What does rent prices have to do with a Ben Torah, unless you have yeshiva apartments you charge the fair value market rate

What about car rentals for bnei Torah? You want to give a discount it's very nice of you but to set standards? But it's not the full shuir and maybe it's out of context
I don't know who he is, but I don't like the looks of him judging from his picture on his CDSs that he puts out (very objective, I know).

Offline Euclid

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1464 on: January 24, 2022, 09:51:35 PM »
I don't know who he is
Wow. This is unexpected from a Lakewood resident. Curious - did you learn in BMG and/or other litvishe yeshivas? Also, how long ago have you moved to Lakewood? (Serious questions - I'm intensely curious.)

Offline yelped

• View Profile
« Reply #1465 on: January 24, 2022, 10:01:55 PM »
Wow. This is unexpected from a Lakewood resident. Curious - did you learn in BMG and/or other litvishe yeshivas? Also, how long ago have you moved to Lakewood? (Serious questions - I'm intensely curious.)
No, never learned in any Litvishe Yeshivas (just held myself back from making a nasty joke). Around 6-7 years.

Let's put it this way, I don't really respect the Litvishe Derech HaLimud or Roshei Yeshivas system, but let's not get into that debate now. It's one that goes back hundreds of years, even before the modern Litvishe Derech HaLimud. Those detracting from this Derech HaLimud hundreds of years ago, meant something more benign when they actually did learn more than 7 blatt a Zman.

Don't misunderstand me, I have nothing against the tzaddikim yungerleit in Lakewood, etc. I do have something against what Rav Shteinman Zatzal said "gaava, gaava, gaava".

Offline Euclid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1466 on: January 24, 2022, 10:08:34 PM »
No, never learned in any Litvishe Yeshivas (just held myself back from making a nasty joke). Around 6-7 years.

Let's put it this way, I don't really respect the Litvishe Derech HaLimud or Roshei Yeshivas system, but let's not get into that debate now. It's one that goes back hundreds of years, even before the modern Litvishe Derech HaLimud. Those detracting from this Derech HaLimud hundreds of years ago, meant something more benign when they actually did learn more than 7 blatt a Zman.

Don't misunderstand me, I have nothing against the tzaddikim yungerleit in Lakewood, etc. I do have something against what Rav Shteinman Zatzal said "gaava, gaava, gaava".
Ah then it makes sense that you don't know who he is.
He's R Shneur Kotler son in law, R' Malkiel brother in law.

Offline yelped

• View Profile
« Reply #1467 on: January 24, 2022, 10:10:00 PM »
Ah then it makes sense that you don't know who he is.
He's R Shneur Kotler son in law, R' Malkiel brother in law.
Interesting.

Offline YitzyS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #1468 on: January 24, 2022, 10:10:28 PM »
Rav Gershon Ribner is a tremendous talmid chochom, and has a very unique style. It is not worth saying anything negative about him. If you don't know him, you may not appreciate his style, but he is a holy man and I would shy away from criticizing him.

Offline S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #1469 on: January 24, 2022, 10:11:10 PM »
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline yelped

• View Profile
« Reply #1470 on: January 24, 2022, 10:14:37 PM »
Rav Gershon Ribner is a tremendous talmid chochom, and has a very unique style. It is not worth saying anything negative about him. If you don't know him, you may not appreciate his style, but he is a holy man and I would shy away from criticizing him.
I don't know him, I just don't get impressed that easily (by Chassidesh people either). Kind of כבדיהו וחשדיהו. Everyone has their chezkas kashrus, but not more than that. They don't get put up on a pedestal, and I don't expect from them more than a regular human being, either. They don't have to be perfect. Just I don't treat them like a saint who can do no harm ever.

Offline drosenberg88429

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: January 24, 2022, 10:29:14 PM »
I don't know him, I just don't get impressed that easily (by Chassidesh people either). Kind of כבדיהו וחשדיהו. Everyone has their chezkas kashrus, but not more than that. They don't get put up on a pedestal, and I don't expect from them more than a regular human being, either. They don't have to be perfect. Just I don't treat them like a saint who can do no harm ever.
הוי זהיר בתלמידי חכמים.
They're not morons until they pass your bechina for approval. If you want to hear anything from him before writing him off due to knowing nothing about him, he has a ton of recorded content online (aside from having numerous seforim).
He's a person who takes mesorah and hashkafas hatorah very seriously, is an independent thinker who will evaluate things personally instead of just mindlessly following the party line, and who is fearless to say what he believes is right. Someone unfamiliar with his style may mistake his fearlessness with gaavah. Open up a gemara or chafetz chaim to know what you're supposed to assume.

Offline yelped

• View Profile
« Reply #1472 on: January 24, 2022, 10:30:31 PM »
הוי זהיר בתלמידי חכמים.
They're not morons until they pass your bechina for approval. If you want to hear anything from him before writing him off due to knowing nothing about him, he has a ton of recorded content online (aside from having numerous seforim).
He's a person who takes mesorah and hashkafas hatorah very seriously, is an independent thinker who will evaluate things personally instead of just mindlessly following the party line, and who is fearless to say what he believes is right. Someone unfamiliar with his style may mistake his fearlessness with gaavah. Open up a gemara or chafetz chaim to know what you're supposed to assume.
Agreed (besides for what you said about him personally, just because I don't know him at all, not because I disagree).

Offline yesitsme

• View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: January 24, 2022, 11:00:42 PM »
How did this spiral off topic, we are in JS lets keep it on
this discussion is about Lakewood

in Lakewood there seems to be some monetary treatment for Bnei Torah

don't get me wrong Torah is a worthy cause but where it strikes odd is, I feel when you are looking for a chavrusa or rosh hayeshiva look for a ben torah, but collecting money for kimcha dpischa for bnei torah is nauseating, when you want to give to the poor don't give him a farher, just give a few dollars and move on regardless of their status, all these loudspeakers before pesach "Kimcha Dpischa for bnei torah", in [satmar] or anywhere outside lakewood/BB  you'll never find kimcha dpischa near torah, כל דכפין ייתי ויכול

this is a thought that's in my head for a while and got triggered with this rental discussion for bnei torah, your neighbor is struggling and you can help him step up to the plate regardless of his torah status....

and of course I might be wrong but this is my feeling
["-"]

Offline drosenberg88429

• View Profile
« Reply #1474 on: January 24, 2022, 11:04:44 PM »
How did this spiral off topic, we are in JS lets keep it on
this discussion is about Lakewood

in Lakewood there seems to be some monetary treatment for Bnei Torah

don't get me wrong Torah is a worthy cause but where it strikes odd is, I feel when you are looking for a chavrusa or rosh hayeshiva look for a ben torah, but collecting money for kimcha dpischa for bnei torah is nauseating, when you want to give to the poor don't give him a farher, just give a few dollars and move on regardless of their status, all these loudspeakers before pesach "Kimcha Dpischa for bnei torah", in [satmar] or anywhere outside lakewood/BB  you'll never find kimcha dpischa near torah, כל דכפין ייתי ויכול

this is a thought that's in my head for a while and got triggered with this rental discussion for bnei torah, your neighbor is struggling and you can help him step up to the plate regardless of his torah status....

and of course I might be wrong but this is my feeling

What does the Shulchan Aruch and Hilchos Tzedaka say about who gets priority for tzedaka, and which are the most noble causes to support?

Facts don't necessarily care about our feelings. And Totah is facts.

Offline yesitsme

• View Profile
« Reply #1475 on: January 24, 2022, 11:06:10 PM »
What does the Shulchan Aruch and Hilchos Tzedaka say about who gets priority for tzedaka, and which are the most noble causes to support?

that whoever asks for tzedakah you should give and not decline
["-"]

Offline yitzgar

• View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: January 24, 2022, 11:08:30 PM »
But what if someone else is raising money for needy people

Offline drosenberg88429

• View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: January 24, 2022, 11:10:55 PM »
היו לפניו עניים הרבה ואין בכיס לפרנס או לכסות או לפדות את כולם מקדים הכהן ללוי והלוי לישראל והישראל לחלל והחלל לשתוקי והשתוקי לאסופי והאסופי לממזר והממזר לנתין והנתין לגר והגר לעבד משוחרר במה דברים אמורים בזמן שהם שוים בחכמה אבל אם היה ממזר ת"ח וכ"ג עם הארץ ממזר תלמיד חכם קודם (ואפילו חכם לכסות ועם הארץ להחיות ואשת חבר כחבר) (ב"י מהירושלמי) וכל הגדול בחכמה קודם לחבירו ואם היה אחד מהם רבו או אביו אע"פ שיש שם גדול מהם בחכמה רבו או אביו שהוא תלמיד חכם קודם לזה שהוא גדול ממנו:
If many poor seek help and there is not enough money in the treasury to help them all, a priest is given preference before a Levite; a Levite before an ordinary Israelite; an Israelite before a Halal; a Halal before a child of unknown fatherhood; such a one before a foundling; a foundling before a bastard; a bastard before a Nathin; a Nathin before a proselyte; a proselyte before an emancipated slave. This applies only in case they are equal in learning. But between a bastard a scholar and a high priest an ignoramus, the scholarly bastard is given the preference; and so whosoever is greater in learning is preferred. However, if the father or teacher of the charity distributor is among the poor seeking aid, the teacher, or the father (provided he too is a scholar) is given the preference, even if there is a far greater scholar among them.

https://www.sefaria.org/Shulchan_Arukh,_Yoreh_De'ah.251.9

Offline yesitsme

• View Profile
« Reply #1478 on: January 24, 2022, 11:14:46 PM »

I found it https://www.sefaria.org/Shulchan_Arukh%2C_Yoreh_De'ah.251.9?lang=bi&with=all&lang2=en#:~:text=%D7%95%D7%9B%22%D7%92%20%D7%A2%D7%9D%20%D7%94%D7%90%D7%A8%D7%A5-,%D7%9E%D7%9E%D7%96%D7%A8%20%D7%AA%D7%9C%D7%9E%D7%99%D7%93%20%D7%97%D7%9B%D7%9D%20%D7%A7%D7%95%D7%93%D7%9D,-(%D7%95%D7%90%D7%A4%D7%99%D7%9C%D7%95%20%D7%97%D7%9B%D7%9D%20%D7%9C%D7%9B%D7%A1%D7%95%D7%AA

BTW I hope that is not the description of lakewood bnei torah, it not refeing to the donor whihc is you (hopefully), its discussing the gizber, if he doesnt have enough money how he should prioritize the funds
« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 11:18:23 PM by yesitsme »
["-"]

Offline yesitsme

• View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: January 24, 2022, 11:15:24 PM »
But what if someone else is raising money for needy people
give him as well

how do you work it? you give once a year? people go collecting all year round, do you ask them if its for bnei torah?
["-"]