Author Topic: The Future of Lakewood  (Read 518295 times)

Offline yitzgar

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: The Future of Lakewood
« Reply #1480 on: January 24, 2022, 11:17:18 PM »
give him as well

how do you work it? you give once a year? people go collecting all year round, do you ask them if its for bnei torah?
I meant that since he isn't collecting for himself, that obligation to give that you mentioned doesn't apply.

Offline Euclid

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1481 on: January 24, 2022, 11:19:07 PM »
*Tries to change the topic back to Lakewood, ends up way off topic debating about tzedaka.*

Offline drosenberg88429

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1482 on: January 24, 2022, 11:20:18 PM »
I found it https://www.sefaria.org/Shulchan_Arukh%2C_Yoreh_De'ah.251.9?lang=bi&with=all&lang2=en#:~:text=%D7%95%D7%9B%22%D7%92%20%D7%A2%D7%9D%20%D7%94%D7%90%D7%A8%D7%A5-,%D7%9E%D7%9E%D7%96%D7%A8%20%D7%AA%D7%9C%D7%9E%D7%99%D7%93%20%D7%97%D7%9B%D7%9D%20%D7%A7%D7%95%D7%93%D7%9D,-(%D7%95%D7%90%D7%A4%D7%99%D7%9C%D7%95%20%D7%97%D7%9B%D7%9D%20%D7%9C%D7%9B%D7%A1%D7%95%D7%AA

BTW I hope that is not the description of lakewood bnei torah, it not refeing to the donor whihc is you (hopefully), its discussing the gizber, if he doesnt have enough money how he should prioritize the funds
Why do you think there's a nafka mina between a person and gizbar in this regard, when choosing where to prioritize allocation?

Offline yesitsme

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1483 on: January 24, 2022, 11:20:58 PM »
I meant that since he isn't collecting for himself, that obligation to give that you mentioned doesn't apply.
that something new to me when someone knocks on your door do you ask if its for themselves or for someone else? or should you ask, where do you see that there is a difference?
["-"]

Offline drosenberg88429

• View Profile
« Reply #1484 on: January 24, 2022, 11:22:03 PM »
*Tries to change the topic back to Lakewood, ends up way off topic debating about tzedaka.*
Lakewood is one of the most generous communities out there. Aside from having a nice amount of wealth, there's also a tremendous giving spirit in a genuinely happy and respectful mannerism. Mi keamcha Yisrael

Offline yitzgar

• View Profile
« Reply #1485 on: January 24, 2022, 11:23:15 PM »
that something new to me when someone knocks on your door do you ask if its for themselves or for someone else? or should you ask, where do you see that there is a difference?
We were talking about people standing outside of a shul saying that they are collecting for kimcha depischa for bnei Torah. In that case, it's obviously for someone else. We weren't discussing someone knocking on your door

Offline drosenberg88429

• View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: January 24, 2022, 11:24:48 PM »
Do you give the majority of your tzedaka to organizations or collectors? (I think it's unclear if halachically the rule of not being allowed to decline and turn away a collector apply if they're not an ani collecting for personal needs. Idk sources for this discussion off hand, though. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will post.)

Offline yesitsme

• View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: January 24, 2022, 11:28:59 PM »
Do you give the majority of your tzedaka to organizations or collectors? (I think it's unclear if halachically the rule of not being allowed to decline and turn away a collector apply if they're not an ani collecting for personal needs. Idk sources for this discussion off hand, though. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will post.)
organizations/local kehila
["-"]

Offline drosenberg88429

• View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: January 24, 2022, 11:37:30 PM »
organizations/local kehila
So standard hilchos kupah (or which kupah to give to, if each kupah has a target demographic) should apply, no?

Offline yesitsme

• View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: January 24, 2022, 11:41:15 PM »
So standard hilchos kupah (or which kupah to give to, if each kupah has a target demographic) should apply, no?
עירך then עמך ..
["-"]

Offline yesitsme

• View Profile
["-"]

Offline yesitsme

• View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: January 24, 2022, 11:50:17 PM »
You know what you might be right, but it's still unique to Lakewood
["-"]

Online EliJelly

• View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: January 24, 2022, 11:57:24 PM »
Let me try a peshora here. By kimcha d'pischa you give for everybody in need, no questions asked how choshuv you are. While by renting your basement apartment for less you CAN look for a chushiva couple bnei torah to rent it for them at below market rates. What's the other option, give it for full market rent? That won't benefit the non bnei torah clientele in any way :).

Offline yesitsme

• View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: January 25, 2022, 12:03:40 AM »
Let me try a peshora here. By kimcha d'pischa you give for everybody in need, no questions asked how choshuv you are. While by renting your basement apartment for less you CAN look for a chushiva couple bnei torah to rent it for them at below market rates. What's the other option, give it for full market rent? That won't benefit the non bnei torah clientele in any way :).

and what if the landlord is a bal torah and the Tennent is a bal habayis? does he get to ask double the rent? what does one have with the next, I just don't get it

my tenant just got a part time job and I started going to night kollel so I'm just wondering what to expect next month /just kidding
["-"]

Online EliJelly

• View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: January 25, 2022, 12:10:00 AM »
and what if the landlord is a bal torah and the Tennent is a bal habayis? does he get to ask double the rent? what does one have with the next, I just don't get it

my tenant just got a part time job and I started going to night kollel so I'm just wondering what to expect next month /just kidding
My point is don't use kimach d'pischa analogy from giving for everyone to giving to no one. 

Offline Dawie

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: January 25, 2022, 10:26:39 AM »
in that vein, R' Hertzka zatzal used to ask his brother and other business owners taht instead of giving tzedaka, to pay his kollel wife workers a living wage or even a generous salary...

Offline yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: January 25, 2022, 11:49:23 AM »
This needs to be plastered all over Lakewood. It is scary what goes on here. We really need a coordinated movement. Plus a much calmer lifestyle.

Rav Avigdor Miller on Reckless Driving
Q:

Is it an aveirah to speed through a red light?

A:
The answer is that it’s a very big sin – one of the biggest sins.

First of all, you’re endangering your life. And a person who endangers his life should know that even though Hakodosh Boruch Hu has saved that man’s life, He will be collecting that man’s mitzvos from him.

It will cost that individual many years of tefillin! Many years of tefillin! Many years of kriyas shema! (etc.) מנכין לו מזכויותיו – Hashem deducts from a man’s mitzvos when He saves him from a dangerous situation that he had put himself into.

You’ll find out that making that red light wasn’t worth it at all.

In addition to that, you have put other people in danger as well which is a very severe crime. It’s considered as if you are a shoifech damim (murder) even if you didn’t kill anybody. Because you put yourself in a situation where you could have killed someone, you’re considered a shoifech damim – potentially.

And that’s a tremendous sin. You must understand that. Just because nothing happened doesn’t mean that you’re not guilty.

People who are reckless in their driving are doing something that is opposite from the will of Hashem and they are asidin li’tein es hadin; sooner or later they will be punished.

TAPE # E-180 (April 2000)

Online EliJelly

• View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: January 25, 2022, 02:25:43 PM »
It is scary what goes on here. We really need a coordinated movement. Plus a much calmer lifestyle.

כל הבורח מברוקלין הברוקלין רודף אחריו

Offline gozalim

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: January 25, 2022, 02:29:28 PM »
כל הבורח מברוקלין הברוקלין רודף אחריו בתוכו

Offline YitzyS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile