Author Topic: The Future of Lakewood  (Read 505210 times)

Offline Dawie

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: The Future of Lakewood
« Reply #1580 on: March 02, 2022, 05:00:04 PM »
That tactic was due to the developers of Oak and Vine being squeezed financially and they needed immediate assurances that there would be market interest in the very short term. They couldn't wait for it to grow organically over 5-10 years. This was because it was many small beans investors who were pooled together.
quote from a builder of a development off Cedarbridge "what would take 2 years and endless hassles and haggling to Yungeliet, is sold out to chassidim in 2 hours... hassle free"

Offline avromie7

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #1581 on: March 02, 2022, 06:22:25 PM »
quote from a builder of a development off Cedarbridge "what would take 2 years and endless hassles and haggling to Yungeliet, is sold out to chassidim in 2 hours... hassle free"
Because they're happy to way because it's better and cheaper than their alternative, although as Lakewood prices rise and BP prices go down the difference is not as big.
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline Euclid

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
The Future of Lakewood
« Reply #1582 on: March 02, 2022, 06:54:21 PM »
Because they're happy to way because it's better and cheaper than their alternative, although as Lakewood prices rise and BP prices go down the difference is not as big.
I thought the Asian community is causing BP prices to rise

Offline nucheiner

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1583 on: March 03, 2022, 10:48:17 AM »
Always great advice. Always better of with someone who thinks they are getting a good deal. No matter what industry.

Offline LNS

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1584 on: March 03, 2022, 12:04:21 PM »

the difference in price might that be so big but what you get for that price definitely is

Offline LNS

• View Profile
« Reply #1585 on: March 03, 2022, 12:05:40 PM »
wow and here i thought Chassidim are also Jews

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #1586 on: March 03, 2022, 12:07:36 PM »
Where do you see anyone having an issue with anything but the resultant high cost of housing?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Euclid

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1587 on: March 03, 2022, 12:07:44 PM »
Once I saw this guy on a bridge about to jump. I said, "Don't do it!" He said, "Nobody loves me." I said, "God loves you. Do you believe in God?"

He said, "Yes." I said, "Are you a Christian or a Jew?" He said, "A Christian." I said, "Me, too! Protestant or Catholic?" He said, "Protestant." I said, "Me, too! What franchise?" He said, "Baptist." I said, "Me, too! Northern Baptist or Southern Baptist?" He said, "Northern Baptist." I said, "Me, too! Northern Conservative Baptist or Northern Liberal Baptist?"

He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist." I said, "Me, too! Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region, or Northern Conservative Baptist Eastern Region?" He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region." I said, "Me, too!"

Northern Conservative†Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1879, or Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912?" He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912." I said, "Die, heretic!" And I pushed him over.
--Emo

Offline LNS

• View Profile
« Reply #1588 on: March 03, 2022, 12:12:17 PM »
Where do you see anyone having an issue with anything but the resultant high cost of housing?

all the comments saying how "chassidim are taking over" dont sound very friendly or welcoming

Offline knowitall

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1589 on: March 03, 2022, 12:20:01 PM »
When an area is already overpopulated, and “resources” are scarce, there’s no need to introduce/entice/encourage/promote more people to come in. If there was more land and more houses, I’d be all for having a diverse city.

Offline LNS

• View Profile
« Reply #1590 on: March 03, 2022, 12:24:13 PM »
When an area is already overpopulated, and “resources” are scarce, there’s no need to introduce/entice/encourage/promote more people to come in. If there was more land and more houses, I’d be all for having a diverse city.

based on this comment that doesn't seem to be the case and everything you said should have nothing to do with what type of people are the ones that are moving

The chassidim are taking over "old Lakewood". This has been going on since way before the chassidim took over south Lakewood.

Offline yelped

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #1591 on: March 03, 2022, 12:25:27 PM »
So to clarify, the issue isn't Chassidim moving in, it's the developers marketing it towards Chassidim at the expense of the people already here?

I understand that issue, and that doesn't fault the Chassidim for wanting to move here, just the developers/brokers for being greedy (perhaps?). My question is, aren't there a ton of Yeshiva leit moving here after they get married because this is the place to be for whatever reason, and people from all over the US end up here? So why don't we fault BMG the same way (only half not serious)?

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: March 03, 2022, 12:25:54 PM »
all the comments saying how "chassidim are taking over" dont sound very friendly or welcoming
Maybe that is what you are hearing more that it is what they are saying.

Offline LNS

• View Profile
« Reply #1593 on: March 03, 2022, 12:31:29 PM »
Maybe that is what you are hearing more that it is what they are saying.

like i quoted earlier here is one example
The chassidim are taking over "old Lakewood". This has been going on since way before the chassidim took over south Lakewood.

and i cant hear it if no one is saying it

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #1594 on: March 03, 2022, 12:32:30 PM »
like i quoted earlier here is one example
and i cant hear it if no one is saying it
He is not necessarily saying what you are hearing

Offline LNS

• View Profile
« Reply #1595 on: March 03, 2022, 12:37:17 PM »
So to clarify, the issue isn't Chassidim moving in, it's the developers marketing it towards Chassidim at the expense of the people already here?

I understand that issue, and that doesn't fault the Chassidim for wanting to move here, just the developers/brokers for being greedy (perhaps?). My question is, aren't there a ton of Yeshiva leit moving here after they get married because this is the place to be for whatever reason, and people from all over the US end up here? So why don't we fault BMG the same way (only half not serious)?

+1
also why cant people be happy that these people who are living in cramped tiny apartments with many kids can finally have some breathing room in a more heimishe environment... do only the " litvish" people deserve to have backyards? i don't mean to sound mean but seriously these are fellow jews who are looking to improve there families living arrangements and want all the same comforts and conveniences that you do

Offline LNS

• View Profile
« Reply #1596 on: March 03, 2022, 12:39:23 PM »
He is not necessarily saying what you are hearing

im not sure what you mean but if you have conversations about this with people who are living here 10+ years it s very likely to come up in this context
saying this from experience unfortunately 

Offline knowitall

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1597 on: March 03, 2022, 01:10:12 PM »
+1
also why cant people be happy that these people who are living in cramped tiny apartments with many kids can finally have some breathing room in a more heimishe environment... do only the " litvish" people deserve to have backyards? i don't mean to sound mean but seriously these are fellow jews who are looking to improve there families living arrangements and want all the same comforts and conveniences that you do
The argument is that the chassidim could have gone anywhere and started their own community. Look at KJ, etc. They didnt need to come to an existing litvishe community and swallow up all the available construction, to the point where bochurim/yungerleit who have been living/learning here for 10+ years can't afford to buy 1500 sq ft houses. Of course it's a free country, but don't make it sound like Lakewood was the only place for chassidim to improve their quality of life.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #1598 on: March 03, 2022, 01:10:16 PM »
+1
I don't see anyone who is unhappy about that

Offline LNS

• View Profile
« Reply #1599 on: March 03, 2022, 01:34:17 PM »
The argument is that the chassidim could have gone anywhere and started their own community. Look at KJ, etc. They didnt need to come to an existing litvishe community and swallow up all the available construction, to the point where bochurim/yungerleit who have been living/learning here for 10+ years can't afford to buy 1500 sq ft houses. Of course it's a free country, but don't make it sound like Lakewood was the only place for chassidim to improve their quality of life.

+1