Author Topic: The Future of Lakewood  (Read 523958 times)

Offline YitzyS

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile

Offline WonderingYid

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: The Future of Lakewood
« Reply #3041 on: June 04, 2023, 04:37:13 AM »
The “justice” system has been like this for years. Open your eyes.

Not that’s it’s a Rabbi we finally notice it.

FYI, the lawyers work for the gov, not for you.

Offline Moshe123

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Lost
« Reply #3042 on: June 04, 2023, 09:11:42 AM »
Was this Shabbos in a Simcha hall in Lakewood in a Yeshiva and I'm traumatized by the coffee situation.
Dozens and dozens of mostly identical tasters choice bottles lined up neatly on the shelves, each with some bachur's name.

Is this the norm?

Offline Euclid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
The Future of Lakewood
« Reply #3043 on: June 04, 2023, 09:22:43 AM »
Was this Shabbos in a Simcha hall in Lakewood in a Yeshiva and I'm traumatized by the coffee situation.
Dozens and dozens of mostly identical tasters choice bottles lined up neatly on the shelves, each with some bachur's name.

Is this the norm?
When I was in yeshiva, I once got a different type of coffee because I was getting bored of Taster's Choice. It was promptly stolen.

Taster's Choice is safety in numbers ;)

The answer to your question is yes. The yeshiva typically serves a "low quality" instant coffee.

Offline Definitions

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3044 on: June 04, 2023, 09:24:27 AM »

Is this the norm?
Was it different in your yeshiva?
My Tapatalk notifications don't always work.

Offline JMHO

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3045 on: June 04, 2023, 09:25:58 AM »

Offline Pony

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile

Offline Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #3049 on: June 05, 2023, 04:36:36 PM »
Wait, they are still hiding stuff?
+1.

Exhibit F was a single page, numbered as 247. They demanded all the other pages, and the prosecutors kept pushing them off. The judge ruled last year that they have to hand it over, but the appeals court said they could wait until after the appeal... which is now.

Here is a previous post of mine that discusses this:

BTW there was a robocall tonight with an update, but it was a little complex, so I'll attempt to explain it simply.

Judge Joseph Paone ruled that the prosecutors violated the Brady act by not sharing critical evidence with the defense before trial. What was that evidence? It was a single page from a Quickbooks report that the state created a year prior to trial, and it showed that the entry they said was criminal was made by a bookkeeper. The page was numbered page 247. (The bookkeeper was named on that page, while during trial they kept implying to the jury that it must have been Rabbi Eisemann who made the entry.) The prosecutors released this for a side reason long after the trial, and the defense jumped on this as proof that they knew all along that it was not Rabbi Eisemann.

When Judge Paone ruled for a new trial, he said that there was no evidence presented that the prosecutors DELIBERATELY hid evidence, but even doing it by mistake warranted a new trial. Had they done so on purpose, the law mandates that the entire indictment gets dismissed, and they would have no right to bring him to trial again.

As soon as the decision was released, Eisemann's lawyers wrote a letter to the prosecutors demanding that they hand over a lot of additional info on the case, which they were entitled to before the trial but never got. Included in that request was the first 246 of the above mentioned report, as well as any subsequent pages. In the days after, the prosecution ran in circles, doing everything possible to not release the info. They first said that they already turned over everything (a blatant falsehood) but they would look again in case they find anything else. They then filed an appeal and asked the judge to put a stay on discovery requests until after the appeal played out. Judge Paone flat out denied their request, saying that they already wasted enough time. The prosecution then said that it would take too long to redact all the notes in the 247+ page report. The defense asserted that they are entitled to see those notes, but even if the prosecution handed over a redacted copy, how long does it take to white out some notes? The defense filed a motion to compel that report, but before it was ruled on, the appeals court accepted the case, taking it out of the jurisdiction of Judge Paone.

The motion filed now is to the appeals court, and it ask them "to remand the matter back to the trial court for the limited purpose of determining whether the complete [247+ page] document should be produced to the defense and, if produced, whether the indictment should be dismissed based on a willful violation of Brady."

This last line is important. Basically, the Eisemann defense is openly accusing the prosecutors of willfully hiding evidence, which would get the whole case dismissed. The fact that the prosecution is trying so hard to not have to hand over the report indicates that there is something they are trying to hide - a potential for a second Brady violation down the line.

I hope this was clear.

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #3050 on: June 05, 2023, 04:42:06 PM »
Sheesh, to this layman it sure does seem that there is more in there. I'm sure Rabbi Eisemann wants to be done with this, but when he is cleared in the next trial, I wonder if there is enough to bring a civil suit against the prosecution.

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #3051 on: June 05, 2023, 04:46:53 PM »
Sheesh, to this layman it sure does seem that there is more in there. I'm sure Rabbi Eisemann wants to be done with this, but when he is cleared in the next trial, I wonder if there is enough to bring a civil suit against the prosecution.
I think that the actual prosecutors have immunity, but perhaps he can sue the state. However, barring any major bombshells, legal experts have told me that it's very hard to get anything beyond (maybe) legal expenses, which in this case happen to be really significant

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #3052 on: June 05, 2023, 04:51:57 PM »
On Thursday, the judge ordered that they hand it over "forthwith," but he allowed the prosecutors to give the audit trail without any of their notes. He said that the defense can file an additional motion for the notes if they feel it's necessary. On Friday, they gave over a clean copy.

There obviously won't be any bombshell notes on a clean copy, but they still may be able to prove things from it, and accountants and lawyers are reviewing it. They may also file additional motions.

Offline Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
« Reply #3053 on: June 05, 2023, 04:54:34 PM »
I think that the actual prosecutors have immunity, but perhaps he can sue the state. However, barring any major bombshells, legal experts have told me that it's very hard to get anything beyond (maybe) legal expenses, which in this case happen to be really significant

There was a video that went relatively viral of a high school/college football player getting puller over and the cop arrests him for a DUI even though he was acting perfectly sober and blew 0s on the breathalyzer. The kid was cocky and taunted the cop the whole time. At one stage he asks, "What's going to happen to you if you are wrong?" And the cop responds simply, "Nothing." And he is correct. Doesn't matter that just to satisfy a power trip, a cop jailed an innocent kid and potentially lost him a place on his team, scholarship, jobs, who knows what. A DUI can really destroy a life. Absolutely nothing will happen to such a cop, and they know it. Same thing for the prosecution.

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #3054 on: June 05, 2023, 04:56:09 PM »
There was a video that went relatively viral of a high school/college football player getting puller over and the cop arrests him for a DUI even though he was acting perfectly sober and blew 0s on the breathalyzer. The kid was cocky and taunted the cop the whole time. At one stage he asks, "What's going to happen to you if you are wrong?" And the cop responds simply, "Nothing." And he is correct. Doesn't matter that just to satisfy a power trip, a cop jailed an innocent kid and potentially lost him a place on his team, scholarship, jobs, who knows what. A DUI can really destroy a life. Absolutely nothing will happen to such a cop, and they know it. Same thing for the prosecution.
Which is why NJ Senator Joe Cryan is calling for accountability.

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Last Edit: June 05, 2023, 05:54:47 PM by YitzyS »

Offline avromie7

• View Profile
« Reply #3056 on: June 05, 2023, 06:03:33 PM »
Prosecutors have more immunity than cops
I wonder what people who type "u" instead of "you" do with all their free time.

Offline lcm

• View Profile
« Reply #3057 on: June 05, 2023, 08:17:12 PM »
Reminds me of a bochur that was visiting prisons this past purim. He was pulled over and arrested and held overnight for 0 reason and no explanation.
The most that was suggested was that they were driving in an area where they catch many drug dealers, and he was mistaken for one..

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #3058 on: June 05, 2023, 09:52:40 PM »
https://twitter.com/yossiwolk/status/1665894527687614467

This is Cryan's proposed bill. But unfortunately, it's never going to pass. It's not a widespread issue, and most politicians don't want to fight with law enforcement right now.
https://pub.njleg.state.nj.us/Bills/2022/S3500/3039_I1.PDF

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile