Author Topic: Transaero Amex chargeback  (Read 3306 times)

Offline Yoel

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Gold Medallion, Premier Platinum
Transaero Amex chargeback
« on: January 03, 2016, 06:17:18 PM »
I filed a chargeback with my Amex gold card for Transaero tickets. After about a month this is the letter I received from Amex.
Are they basically denying the chargback?

Dear xxxxx

We would like to advise you of the status of your claim on your account from Transaero Airlines Web Sa. We removed the amount under review of $1,383.45 from your account during our investigation.

In our last communication, we informed you that the merchant might not be able to provide the information you requested for the charges of $1,383.45 dated August 13, 2015 and that we could not guarantee credit. However, we pursued this matter with the merchant. Unfortunately, the merchant was unable to provide the requested information. If you wish to pursue this matter further, you will need to contact the merchant directly.

Since this concludes our investigation, we are closing this case.

Therefore, the amount under review has been reapplied to your account, and will reflect on an upcoming statement.

We trust this resolves your questions. Thank you for your Card Membership.

Sincerely,

American Express Customer Care

Offline joeb1

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, CPA, Travel Agent
Re: Transaero Amex chargeback
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 06:28:24 PM »
What was the full story?

Offline Yoel

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Gold Medallion, Premier Platinum
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 06:41:29 PM »
Bought tickets. They went bankrupt.

Offline SearchGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 103
    • View Profile
Transaero Amex chargeback
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2016, 06:51:08 PM »
Sounds funny, normally if they do not provide the proper info you win, but it sounds like they did the opposite...
I have a feeling that the dispute was initially filed wrong...
They say you requested information, please share that part in full, so we can try to understand what happened
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 06:55:49 PM by SearchGuy »

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2016, 06:55:11 PM »
Sounds funny, normally if they do not provide the proper info you win, but it sounds like they didn't the opposite...
I have a feeling that the dispute was initially filed wrong...
+1
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline danthecan

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2016, 02:23:39 PM »
I am also having a lot of problems with American Express trying to get my money back for Transaero flights.  American Express has reinstated the charges several times already and today after speaking to two supervisors they told me to file a complaint by filling out a form available at www.americanexpress.com/claim, which is one step short of arbitration.  The closest thing I got to an explanation from American Express is that they already paid Transaero, so if American Express issues me a refund then American Express will be losing money.  Would appreciate any advice and whether anyone else has been having problems getting money back from American Express.  Thanks.

Offline Red

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2016, 02:30:41 PM »
File with CFPB

Offline danthecan

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2016, 03:12:37 PM »
If anyone has been successful in disputing a Transaero charge with American Express because Transaero went bankrupt, or if you know of anyone that has been successful, it would be very helpful if you could share that information.  For some reason, in response to my dispute, Transaero replied to American Express in early October that my tickets for March 2016 were still "open for travel".  American Express has not given me a clear reason why they are not refunding me the money, but in part I think they are hiding behind the response that they received from Transaero that the tickets were still good.  It would be very helpful to be able to show American Express (or quite possibly an arbitrator) that American Express knew that Transaero tickets were no longer valid as evidenced from the fact that American Express had issued refunds to other consumers.  Thanks.

Offline danthecan

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2016, 03:14:09 PM »
File with CFPB

Thanks, Red, for the suggestion.  I will file with CFPB at the same time that I send the Claim Notice back to American Express.

Offline danthecan

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2016, 12:09:16 PM »
Just to give an update: It turns out that while the Transaero website is down and the US number is down, there are still people answering the phone in Russia.  The number to dial is 011-7-495-788-8080 if calling from the US.  There is even an option to speak in English, although the person I spoke to did not speak English very well.  An even better idea is to find someone who speaks Russian and have them call.  I did that and my Russian speaking friend had a conversation that lasted for a few minutes.  The very next day (today) I received an email from Transaero that they approved the refund and that I should be getting it soon and sorry for the delay in getting back to me.  On the phone they also said that requests for refunds should be emailed to bilet@transaero.ru.

Offline David Smith

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2016, 12:15:59 PM »
Moral of the story: if you think dealing with a bankrupt Russian company is bad, meet amex.
Who do you think you are fooling? You think you are going to pull a quick one on your Creator? Good luck with that.
JTZ

Offline emjee

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2016, 12:50:50 PM »
Moral of the story: if you think dealing with a bankrupt Russian company is bad, meet amex.
+1 lol. So true