Author Topic: I need Electric Help... Any electricians out there?  (Read 46544 times)

Offline skyguy918

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: I need Electric Help... Any electricians out there?
« Reply #555 on: December 30, 2020, 12:50:23 AM »
where'd you end up with this? I just put up a new pergola, and grooved a 4' x 1/2" recess into the underside of the joists to put in LED strips 'invisibly". I'd like to set them up in a way that they can be controlled through my smartthings, but that can be as simple as putting them on a smart switch. Don't see any need for RGB in the sukkah. I have a joist every 24", but I plan on throwing in a couple of ceiling fans, so that will eliminate the ability to use 4 of them, to avoid flickering.

I posted about it on the sukkah thread (see below).

If you want to do a bunch of 4' runs, you're probably going to have to link them, instead of having each section run back to the power supply. The company I bought from had very good customer service, you can probably call and ask for advice on how to piece together what you're looking for.

ETA: And as far as wifi, I had an outdoor light wired into a switch just inside the house. So I just replaced that outdoor light with the new LEDs and swapped the switch for a Kasa wifi switch.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/flexible-led-strip-lights/5m-white-led-strip-light-highlight-series-tape-light-1224v-ip67-waterproof/5602/12525/
https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/power-supplies/led-switching-power-supply-diodedrive-series-60w-150w-enclosed-power-supply-12v/5676/12363/

Bought two 16.4' reels and cut/spliced it into three almost 11' lengths, which each run directly back to the power supply mounted on the central beam right by the house. I also bought a bunch of small accessories to keep it waterproof at all the spots I cut and spliced, and some extra wire to bridge from the ends of the runs back to the power supply. They come with has adhesive backing (peel and stick), but I wasn't sure how well that would work, so I also bought screw-in mounting clips (they were out of stock so I got similar size on Amazon).

This company has very good customer service. If you want a different setup and need help figuring out which of their products will work together for what you're trying to accomplish call or chat them - they're very helpful.

All in, it was right around $200. You can find for less, but I wanted to be confident in it lasting outdoors and for it to be very bright - this totals 8-8.5k lumens for a space around 16'x16'.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 12:57:20 AM by skyguy918 »

Offline thaber

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Re: I need Electric Help... Any electricians out there?
« Reply #556 on: December 30, 2020, 01:08:43 AM »
I posted about it on the sukkah thread (see below).

If you want to do a bunch of 4' runs, you're probably going to have to link them, instead of having each section run back to the power supply. The company I bought from had very good customer service, you can probably call and ask for advice on how to piece together what you're looking for.

ETA: And as far as wifi, I had an outdoor light wired into a switch just inside the house. So I just replaced that outdoor light with the new LEDs and swapped the switch for a Kasa wifi switch.

thank you