Author Topic: Laining/Baalei Kria  (Read 35123 times)

Offline JoeyShmoe

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Laining/Baalei Kria
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2016, 12:32:14 PM »
There is a Baal korei in my shul who has a smart practice when he makes a mistake and said Shem H'.
He reads the rest of the posuk quietly to himself so that be read a complete posuk and then he starts laining again from the begining of the posuk.
IINM you can't just reread the Posuk if it wasn't a real mistake.
DDF A-Z Link Extension
Chrome
Firefox
Info

Offline MendelG

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2016, 12:38:15 PM »
IINM you can't just reread the Posuk if it wasn't a real mistake.
AFAIK there's no problem with that and I myself have done that on occasion. If someone has a halachic source please quote it.

Offline JoeyShmoe

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2016, 12:47:48 PM »
AFAIK there's no problem with that and I myself have done that on occasion. If someone has a halachic source please quote it.
+1
I just started Laining again after a nearly 2 year hiatus.
DDF A-Z Link Extension
Chrome
Firefox
Info

Offline Work-for-ur-muny

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2016, 01:00:00 PM »
Awesome thread. I'm a baal korei too and this was actually the first thing to pop into my mind upon finding this thread.

Offline Work-for-ur-muny

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2016, 01:03:27 PM »
There is a Baal korei in my shul who has a smart practice when he makes a mistake and said Shem H'.
He reads the rest of the posuk quietly to himself so that be read a complete posuk and then he starts laining again from the begining of the posuk.
It is common practice (some to themselves while others finishing aloud), though hallachically it's not required (especially if it's a real mistake) since technically the passuk was never really leined and it's like he said hashem's name accidentally so he can just stop right there and start the passuk anew correctly.
But, yes, the minhag is to finish off the rest of the passuk before restarting.

Offline avremie

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2016, 06:51:32 PM »

4) I'm not sure about this but maybe we can coordinate jobs in shuls if they are available. I know personally that I'm asked many times if I could lain somewhere but I'm already booked. This may be a good place to share those jobs.
PM me with your location I know of a friend who has an agency for baalei Kria. He mainly does chabad houses and crown heights shuls, but if it is in walking distance he may be able to help.
Are you trying to coordinate amongst brothers or create an agency that takes a 20% cut?

Offline MendelG

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2016, 06:53:33 PM »
Are you trying to coordinate amongst brothers or create an agency that takes a 20% cut?
There is an agency set up already. By all means coordinate here I'm just putting out the options.
The point is that it should be easy to find someone to take you over.

Offline oiseli48

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Laining/Baalei Kria
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2016, 07:17:14 PM »
Great thread. I'm a Baal Korei too. When leining vayigash a couple weeks ago, quite a few people got confused with the different endings of the Aliyos

Offline gubevo18

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2016, 07:50:19 PM »
קטנתי
azla geirish..so i've heard beshiem Rav Y. Belsky shlita (may he have a refua shelaima)

Offline MendelG

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2016, 08:01:44 PM »
Great thread. I'm a Baal Korei too. When leining vayigash a couple weeks ago, quite a few people got confused with the different endings of the Aliyos
By me as well even though I told everyone before. Also פרשת מקץ שבת חנוכה even though I told everyone thatשישי ושביעי would be read together you still had people confused about the aliyos.

Offline MendelG

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2016, 08:03:42 PM »
A funny anecdote: I was laining the aseres hadibros on Shavuos and someone (actually a big rov) started correcting me on the words saying that I was missing letters. Turns out that he was looking in to parshas voeschanon...

Offline Work-for-ur-muny

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2016, 08:56:49 PM »
A funny anecdote: I was laining the aseres hadibros on Shavuos and someone (actually a big rov) started correcting me on the words saying that I was missing letters. Turns out that he was looking in to parshas voeschanon...
You mean lo/velo?

Offline Work-for-ur-muny

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2016, 09:06:28 PM »
From the halachah and shaila thread. A couple posts are nogea here too.
http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=11285.msg1195821#msg1195821 and the next few posts.

Offline MendelG

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2016, 09:12:32 PM »

Offline @Yehuda

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2016, 09:33:22 AM »
I enjoy laining, and in High School, I lained 1-2 Aliyos a week in the Teen/Youth Minyan. In the past year or two, I've done my first few complete Parshas (Yisro and Vayikra) in addition to my BM Parshas (Bechukosai my year and have since learned Behar as well. I would love to lain every week and be able to lain on those random Monday-Thursdays when the Shul announces, "Umm does anyone know how to lain?" but, unfortunately, it takes a lot of time to prepare, and I just don't have the patience to be practicing the Parsha at night after work.

To join the discussion: How Makpid are you on properly pronouncing Sheva Na vs. Shva Nach?

Offline dealfinder85

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2016, 09:37:20 AM »
I enjoy laining, and in High School, I lained 1-2 Aliyos a week in the Teen/Youth Minyan. In the past year or two, I've done my first few complete Parshas (Yisro and Vayikra) in addition to my BM Parshas (Bechukosai my year and have since learned Behar as well. I would love to lain every week and be able to lain on those random Monday-Thursdays when the Shul announces, "Umm does anyone know how to lain?" but, unfortunately, it takes a lot of time to prepare, and I just don't have the patience to be practicing the Parsha at night after work.

To join the discussion: How Makpid are you on properly pronouncing Sheva Na vs. Shva Nach?
apparently you are pretty makpid

Offline MendelG

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2016, 09:38:39 AM »

Wow vayikra isn't one of the easiest parshas to start with so kol hakavod! Monday and Thursday is a great place to start as it's very short and like you said someone is almost always needed. You can spend some time on shabbos afternoon to prepare it and then go over our once before Monday and again before Thursday.
Regarding שוא נא ושוא נח my first few years of laining I wasn't careful but then I learnt an easy simon to remember them and i it became a breeze.

Offline @Yehuda

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2016, 09:58:56 AM »
apparently you are pretty makpid
lol did that on purpose.

Wow vayikra isn't one of the easiest parshas to start with so kol hakavod! Monday and Thursday is a great place to start as it's very short and like you said someone is almost always needed. You can spend some time on shabbos afternoon to prepare it and then go over our once before Monday and again before Thursday.
Regarding שוא נא ושוא נח my first few years of laining I wasn't careful but then I learnt an easy simon to remember them and i it became a breeze.
Yeah, I realized that as I was going through it. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to lain it last year so now I haven't looked at it in 2 years. That's a good idea for Mon-Thurs, but it's annoying because my Shul usually has someone for Mon/Thurs. I find the need for a Ba'al Koreh more when you're in a random place one morning. And at that point, I wouldn't have prepared it in advance.

I was always careful with pronouncing words clearly, but I didn't get too grammatical until my Hebrew class in college where my phenomenal teacher taught us everything about Shevas, Dageshim (still don't do that 100% properly), etc. I've gotten much more particular, but of course, would never correct a Ba'al Koreh who doesn't pronounce a Dagesh Chazak. In my community, many Ba'alei Kriah read "Ches" and "Ayin" in a gutteral way like certain types of Sefardim. I don't think I would ever end up laining like that, though.

The most interesting thing my teacher taught us was how he believes a Daled without a Dagesh should be pronounced - "Daleth". His support was quite intriguing. Everyone knows that Rashi says by Shema that the Daled of Echad should be stretched out. Yet, there's no way to really stretch it without ending up saying "Echaaaaad" (which isn't stretching the actual Daled, but rather the Patach of the Ches) or "Echadah" (which is really like adding an extra letter after the Daled." However, if you pronounce the Daled as "Daleth," then you can say "Echathhhhh" as that is a sound that can be stretched. Perhaps that's how Rashi pronounced his Daleds and that's what he meant. Thought it was really interesting.

Offline MendelG

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2016, 10:32:47 AM »
lol did that on purpose.
Yeah, I realized that as I was going through it. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to lain it last year so now I haven't looked at it in 2 years. That's a good idea for Mon-Thurs, but it's annoying because my Shul usually has someone for Mon/Thurs. I find the need for a Ba'al Koreh more when you're in a random place one morning. And at that point, I wouldn't have prepared it in advance.

I was always careful with pronouncing words clearly, but I didn't get too grammatical until my Hebrew class in college where my phenomenal teacher taught us everything about Shevas, Dageshim (still don't do that 100% properly), etc. I've gotten much more particular, but of course, would never correct a Ba'al Koreh who doesn't pronounce a Dagesh Chazak. In my community, many Ba'alei Kriah read "Ches" and "Ayin" in a gutteral way like certain types of Sefardim. I don't think I would ever end up laining like that, though.

The most interesting thing my teacher taught us was how he believes a Daled without a Dagesh should be pronounced - "Daleth". His support was quite intriguing. Everyone knows that Rashi says by Shema that the Daled of Echad should be stretched out. Yet, there's no way to really stretch it without ending up saying "Echaaaaad" (which isn't stretching the actual Daled, but rather the Patach of the Ches) or "Echadah" (which is really like adding an extra letter after the Daled." However, if you pronounce the Daled as "Daleth," then you can say "Echathhhhh" as that is a sound that can be stretched. Perhaps that's how Rashi pronounced his Daleds and that's what he meant. Thought it was really interesting.
In chassidus it explain that we are maarich in machsovo about how Hashem is everywhere but that's an interesting idea nonetheless.

Offline skyguy918

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2016, 11:03:43 AM »
Do you mean to put the 'th' (as in 'this') in the front (ie thaled)? That's what the Shema example would imply.

Was this teacher Yemenite by any chance? That's how they pronounce it. Plus they do 'j' for גּ, 'th' (as in 'thick') for ת - see the wikipedia for other differences.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yemenite_Hebrew#Distinguishing_Features