Author Topic: using Workflowy for Project Management  (Read 12031 times)

Online etech0

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
Re: using Workflowy for Project Management
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2017, 06:23:12 PM »
@etech0/anybody else, are you still using workflowy? I used etech0's link yesterday when I got fed up with outlook/gmail flags and calendars and I love it so far.  I've found that the yearly format for scheduling works better for me as I know something need to be scheduled months in advance. I tried tagging dates but that was too much effort and wasn't very easy on the eyes.

Anyway, does the workflowy month roll over on the 1st or is it based on when you signed up? I've got some large lists that I'm holding off on copying in until I know the month is almost up to avoid running out of items.
Yep, I'm still using it! I'm constantly tweaking my system :) but right now my setup is very similar to that which is explained in the Workflowy Webinar series www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLgi2Y4JImXPimmC_mMOpGlDXuog-CUDUb

If you want to learn more you'll enjoy reading through blog.workflowy.com, there are lots of tips, tricks, and ideas there.

I'm not sure when the monthly limit resets, but you can ask me in about a week and I'll tell you :)
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline thaber

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2018, 02:00:12 PM »
I'm looking for a way to manage projects, and specifically approvals, there are different approvals by different people at different stages, and it involves signatures and stamps which I don't like. DOcusign is a little bit overkill and too much work. Would workflowy be good for that? need to have the ability to upload pdf's and then once approved by Person A it gets passed on to Person B.
Any suggestions?

Online etech0

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2018, 05:33:35 PM »
I'm looking for a way to manage projects, and specifically approvals, there are different approvals by different people at different stages, and it involves signatures and stamps which I don't like. DOcusign is a little bit overkill and too much work. Would workflowy be good for that? need to have the ability to upload pdf's and then once approved by Person A it gets passed on to Person B.
Any suggestions?
Workflowy doesn't do attachments so it probably wouldn't be a good fit. (You could upload pdfs elsewhere and include links but it probably won't make sense for your use case.)

How about something like Asana? I believe you can attach files, and you can assign tasks to different people, have discussions/comments, set deadlines and more.

If you need something more robust, it may pay to research if there is something out there that was created for your specific area of business.

Online aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2018, 05:40:26 PM »
Any suggestions?
Maybe trello which now allows on card attachments
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline thaber

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2018, 05:58:23 PM »
microsoft flow w/ sharepoint and dropbox might work. I'll try out the above as well and report back

Offline Thingywingy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2020, 06:35:13 PM »
Any of the workflowy fans try Dynalist? Supposed to be almost identical but with a few added features...?
I am sometimes accused of overthinking things. I am still mulling over whether that accusation has merit.

Online etech0

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2020, 06:53:39 PM »
Any of the workflowy fans try Dynalist? Supposed to be almost identical but with a few added features...?
I tried it out a while ago and while the extra features seemed like they would be nice, the interface was clunkier and harder to use and I ended up switching right back. It may have changed since then, though. Give it a try and let me know which you like better!

Offline myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2020, 03:46:02 AM »
I tried it out a while ago and while the extra features seemed like they would be nice, the interface was clunkier and harder to use and I ended up switching right back. It may have changed since then, though. Give it a try and let me know which you like better!
What does this cost or does it?
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Online etech0

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2020, 09:07:02 AM »
What does this cost or does it?
Workflowy is free and allows you to create 250 'items' per month, that number is increased for each person you refer. There's also a paid option for unlimited items which I've never done, $5/month or $49/year.

IDK about dynalist pricing.

Offline Thingywingy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2020, 10:43:38 AM »
Free version includes:

Unlimited items & documents
Move item
Internal linking
Markdown formatting
Dates
Tags
Checklist
Sharing & collaboration
Export & import

https://dynalist.io/pricing
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 10:47:52 AM by Thingywingy »
I am sometimes accused of overthinking things. I am still mulling over whether that accusation has merit.

Online etech0

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2020, 10:07:52 PM »

Offline whacked1

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2020, 11:23:58 AM »
workflowy isnt recognizing my @ and # (some yes, but a lot no). Any ideas?

Online aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
Feelings don't care about your facts

Online etech0

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2020, 12:09:21 PM »
workflowy isnt recognizing my @ and # (some yes, but a lot no). Any ideas?
Hmm I don't know! It always works for me...

Offline SwellCindy

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2020, 01:55:48 AM »
Was looking for a thread like this a while back :-\, for feedback on different project management platforms as I manage the office for a RE/Development-type company. Did hours of research, tried lots of diff products.... Originally used Glip, then Asana, but needed an upgrade. We weren't ready to invest approx 50K in Procore just yet. I wanted something light on the eyes, able to hold lots of info per various stage of multiple projects - no docs or PDF's, just minute details per construction stage, with the ability to assign tasks to the correct individual either within our own company or to specific people within various companies we work with. After lots of back and forth we decided on Spreadsheet (lots of similarities to Excel) and slowly are integrating it - funny how I tried many complicated and sophisticated systems yet came back to this....  It's a functional, no-frills, easy to implement platform with no distracting color palettes (but does have minimal color options), so far so good.
Curious whether anyone else finds it useful.

Online etech0

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2020, 08:31:40 AM »
Was looking for a thread like this a while back :-\, for feedback on different project management platforms as I manage the office for a RE/Development-type company. Did hours of research, tried lots of diff products.... Originally used Glip, then Asana, but needed an upgrade. We weren't ready to invest approx 50K in Procore just yet. I wanted something light on the eyes, able to hold lots of info per various stage of multiple projects - no docs or PDF's, just minute details per construction stage, with the ability to assign tasks to the correct individual either within our own company or to specific people within various companies we work with. After lots of back and forth we decided on Spreadsheet (lots of similarities to Excel) and slowly are integrating it - funny how I tried many complicated and sophisticated systems yet came back to this....  It's a functional, no-frills, easy to implement platform with no distracting color palettes (but does have minimal color options), so far so good.
If you're still interested in trying things out, take a look at ClickUp. It is a similar idea to Asana but has more features and (IMO) a much more intuitive interface.

Offline SwellCindy

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2020, 09:16:40 AM »

Ouch meant Smartsheet! Don't see modify button anymore...

Offline Yehudaa

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 111
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2020, 09:19:20 AM »
Ouch meant Smartsheet! Don't see modify button anymore...
The modify button should be at the top-right of your post, between Quote and Remove.

ETA: you can only modify for the first few hours after posting; I hadn't noticed that your post was last night.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 09:23:47 AM by Yehudaa »

Offline SwellCindy

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2020, 09:24:43 AM »
The modify button should be at the top-right of your post, between Quote and Remove.

Seems like it's there only for a specific amount of time, because I'm not seeing it on the original post anymore. Not sure why, I thought it stays there for a while....

ETA: Just noticed your ETA, thanks for the info in any case.

Offline SwellCindy

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2020, 09:39:12 AM »
If you're still interested in trying things out, take a look at ClickUp. It is a similar idea to Asana but has more features and (IMO) a much more intuitive interface.

Don't remember why ClickUp didn't appeal to me (tried over 50 platforms for sure), only thing I remember is that any one that had a post-it look type of interface I nixed right away. When you have hundreds of tasks under loads of categories each it just starts looking like one big mess.

Re Asana, the way it sorted by date drove me batty, although it's a useful product for sure for just a small office, or one person's tasks for example. If I divided tasks by category it wasn't able to sort by date within that category, like under Bill Pay, Payroll, etc. It would un-sort from categories if I selected "sort by date" option. But, the organization such a platform lends is invaluable to smooth office management, and I often joke I need a magnetic tablet for my fridge with Asana for household tasks.