Author Topic: Crossing The Atlantic For A Quick Birthday Visit (SQ R, LH F)  (Read 18885 times)

Offline @Yehuda

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Re: Crossing The Atlantic For A Quick Birthday Visit (SQ R, LH F)
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2016, 11:00:50 AM »
Great stuff. Gotta be some famous Jew.

Offline E-MAN

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2016, 11:41:49 AM »
Good Shabbos

Offline coralsnake

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2016, 12:33:49 PM »
Oh course he leaves us with a cliffhanger for shabbos... 😂
Disgusting!
"Here at DansDeals we don’t do buses." -Dan

Offline Yehoshua

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile

Offline benjie1305

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2016, 06:36:50 PM »
After having gotten waaaaay too familiar with the bartender(s) and them having convinced me to sample several of their "favorites" it was time to say c'est la vie and make my way over to Gate 7.

Bye Bye Virgin Clubhouse

Down the elevator and a sharp left later, there she was. The beautiful(!). The intimidating(!!). The A380(!!!). It needs to be experienced; the adrenalin rush one feels when one is about to board the best that commercial aviation has to offer and knows that one will "live" it through the best way possible - Suites.

Untitled by BLR, on Flickr

I walked through the lane labeled "Suites" and started my way over the jet bridge and into the aircraft. Being that the upper level is for Business Class, they have their separate entrance into the aircraft that is just for them. Economy and Suites continue together all the way into the aircraft. Seeing some of the other Suites passengers rather puzzled when they saw Business Class passengers entering on top was quite funny. I guess they didn't feel too having to continue on with cattle class.  :P  Ha! What a small price to pay for what's to come..

So we continued our way downstairs where one of the flight attendants greeted me and another Suites passenger. [She must have seen the "Suites" Boarding Pass sticking out of my passport. And yes, of course I am always running around with that boarding pass to make sure it is clearly visible to all :P]

She greeted me and walked me to my seat. 3A. [Just to put this into perspective - if I wasn't already overwhelmed by the check-in, the lounge, the walk up to the plane and the Suites entrance, the seat would have probably given me a heart attack if I was 75 years old with heart problems.]

The leather seat, the pillows, the noise canceling headphones, the screen with its IFE system, the Evian water waiting for me, but still - and I want to make this perfectly clear - nothing, ABSOLUTELY nothing comes close in topping my overall experience then the crew that was on board. What they do is incredible. I don't know how this is on other airlines but what they put out is beyond amazing. The attentiveness, the grace, the subtle nuances and most importantly the attention to detail.

Jennifer - who has now become one of my new favorite people in the world - came by within the first two minutes in her amazing wardrobe [stunning outfits that these ladies wear on SQ] with a perfect smile on her face greeting me by name. Not intrusive, simply introducing herself, making sure I am more then comfortable and settled for the flight and asking me if I'd like to read anything. When she could tell that I didn't have a solid answer to that she quickly motioned not to worry and said she will bring me some magazines to choose from. I kid you not, she showed up 3 minutes later with 25 magazines in front of me. Lol. 

Soon EK. When the time is right Ill make my over to you.

Moving on - I started making myself comfortable rather fast. Diet Coke and nuts in my hand (I can hear D93 yelling at me for not already having ordered a scotch tasting for myself  ::)), seat reclined and IFE remote control in hand zapping through the movie selection when it was time for Lee to introduce himself to me. "Good evening Mr. Rosenberg. Here is a little thank you from us to thank you for your choice in flying with us today." As he handed me my new - and first(!)- pair of airline pajamas I couldn't wait to jump into the lavatory to change.

Ferragamo amenity kit. Quite nice with some cream and a bottle of cologne. A *sniff sniff* later and I was able to confirm that the smell is nice indeed.

Don't know about the others but couldn't agree more with Chuck with those PJs being amazing!

Back at my seat I was off to my movie. "The Intern". It was OK and an easy watch to go along with my flight.

[One thing I did realize was that seat 2C was constantly occupied by a flight attendant. The gentleman in there must have been some frequent travel // business man as they all seemed to know him and changed up the routine all of us "other people" received. He got dessert within minutes of being in his seat, had his double (!!) bed made 10 minutes later, and kept talking to them about G-d and the world for a good 2 hours during the flight.]

Being treated like G-d

They were finally getting ready to setup dinner service when Jennifer came over to let me know that the gentleman from 1A would like to invite me for the evening service. Well that was weird. Very weird! But I figured if there is a time to accept such an invitation it is when flying in First. I mean let's be realistic, it is either a CEO, some self-made millionaire or a mile-geek like myself :P :D I can only win!

Turns out it was a guy that grew up in Malaysia and now runs his own IT company in Perth - where he and his family migrated to - and simply did not want to dine by himself. Not as entertaining as I left the cliffhanger to be but it was still weird and different enough to mention it. Not sure I would have invited a stranger to dine with me in order to not be lonely but hey, turned out to be quite interesting.

When I returned to my Suite the bed was made and I was ready to *plop* into it.

I was able to get a good 4.5 hours of sleep and felt great when my doors were opened and Jennifer asked me if I'd like a Cappuccino before breakfast gets served.

#WakeUpSelfie

I got my breakfast served on a nice tray with a table cloth and a special fruit platter that they also prepared for me.

My flight was now starting to come to an end and I really envied the people traveling on to Singapore. :P

Naaahhhhh I was excited to move on to Vienna.

As I was leaving my Suite to exit the plane the head of the Steward(es) team gave me his card with the names of the people that served me that day and asked for me to send in Feedback - which I will definitely do - if I have a moment.

Quick picture with Jennifer and I was off to Frankfurt Airport...

In the next segment: my stroll to Frankfurt Terminal A, a quick visit to the lounge and how I almost missed my connecting flight..
Work hard, Play harder!

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2016, 11:09:24 PM »
Wow, it looks like you had an awesome flight! I'm pumped for mine as well. Only downside now is that whereas yesterday all but 3 seats were taken and I was fine booked in a middle seats, now they're all full and I'm stuck in the middle. Hopefully something changes soon.

Offline EJB

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2016, 11:49:15 PM »
Wow, it looks like you had an awesome flight! I'm pumped for mine as well. Only downside now is that whereas yesterday all but 3 seats were taken and I was fine booked in a middle seats, now they're all full and I'm stuck in the middle. Hopefully something changes soon.

Cry me a river. You'll have an awesome time.

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2016, 12:06:47 AM »
Cry me a river. You'll have an awesome time.
Lol. No one's crying here.

Offline lechatchileh ariber

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2016, 12:36:51 AM »
I don't sin, I give myself opportunities to repent.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2016, 02:30:47 AM »
Talk to you after a couple more drinks..

Hmmm... I'm getting a strong sense of deja vu... ;)

While I also would have taken the dude on the invite to dine with him, it's extremely odd. How was it? What did you talk about? Would like to hear more.

Looking fwd to the rest.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 02:35:24 AM by AJK »
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline benjie1305

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2016, 04:00:58 AM »
Hmmm... I'm getting a strong sense of deja vu... ;)

I won't lie.

When I saw the picture you are referring to that was my "last nail in the coffin". It was happening and I was going to "play this game" and beat it until I fly in some amazing aircrafts and vacation in some amazing places! So thanks AJK (and many others), your TRs do inspire.  :)

While I also would have taken the dude on the invite to dine with him, it's extremely odd. How was it? What did you talk about? Would like to hear more.

It was very interesting tbqh. He told me how he was returning from a month long vacation from the US. When I found out that he was from Perth I was perplexed. "How are you leaving the gorgeous summer for cold Seattle, Vancouver, Whistler, and New York?"
Well, turns out he is not a summer guy at all and likes taking a month in their summers to travel for skiing across Europe and the US. I couldn't believe it and mentioned how I'd love to live in a country that is home to the Great Barrier Reef and other great sites and fun summer adventures. He quickly corrected me in highlighting that the *GBR* is widely misconceived as some of the best snorkeling around but that the West (Perth and area) have much more amazing snorkeling and water then the NE. Well well, hates the summer but still has to defend Perth in some way I guess..  ::)

Turns out he actually planned his vacation to the States close to a year ago when he booked his Saver seat to the US with "some" miles he had. He was shocked when I told him how I was able to book a Saver seat with weeks to go. [Lol - I bet you most people in F would be shocked if they'd come across a DDF'er telling his/her story to them on how they landed such a seat]

I was asking him if he had toured Asia properly and what he had seen so far being that he grew up in Malaysia/Singapore. His face - kind of like that >  ??? - said more then a thousand words. Asians have no interest in seeing anything in Asia. Sad for him, better for me I guess. He also had very dichotomous views on Asian cities. He thought one needs at least a week in Hong Kong and should spend no more then a day and a half in Singapore. Lol.

He runs his own IT company in Perth that takes care of inventory and other IT related needs for pharmacies in the region and has grown to be a somewhat big player in the area. He is looking to go national some time soon and seemed very excited about that.

He was also telling me about his sister who is married to a "mainlander". PSA warning: Nobody likes mainlanders. He was not too happy about the Chinese in general. At one point I was like "Hey, as long as your sister is happy, right!?" and was confronted with a  ??? :-X and a delayed mini smile.

He said that the Chinese are basically buying up all the baby formula in all of Australia and it is daily national news as they have a real shortage over there now. I am sure that does not make anyone like them Chinese any better.

After our long talk about life and the world - during which his caviar, pumpkin soup, lobster, and banana pudding looked just a touch better then my cabbage and chickpeas/corn salad, my chicken and potatoes and my fruit platter -  I was getting very tired and told him I'd excuse myself for some rest. He made sure to give me his name and number and said I should hit him up anytime I am in Perth for a grand deluxe tour of the place. [I guess now I really need to make my way down there! ;)]
Work hard, Play harder!

Offline benjie1305

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2016, 04:03:33 AM »

You will have an amazing time. Guaranteed. Try to snag any isle seat if you can though. I would definitely take that over a shared double cabin. But even if that ain't happenin, do not worry - you will still have an amazing time if the service is anywhere close to the one I received.
Work hard, Play harder!

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2016, 04:04:01 AM »
Awesome. That whole convo is the reason I'd not turn down the invite, never know how it could go. But the invite itself still strikes me as odd. The fact that he had a FA do the invite for him is even odder.

But I'm glad you took him up on it!
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline benjie1305

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2016, 04:10:44 AM »
Awesome. That whole convo is the reason I'd not turn down the invite, never know how it could go. But the invite itself still strikes me as odd.

Odd is precisely the way it felt to me. Not bad or good, just odd. But I just felt like there is nothing to lose here and am - after all - happy I did it. Had a fun hour of learning more about the other side of the world and built another bridge which surely can't hurt.

The fact that he had a FA do the invite for him is even odder.

Hadn't even thought about that. I guess he must have just asked her to ask me when she got ready to set him up for dinner.

Made me kinda feel royal when Jennifer came over to ask me if I'd like to dine with 1A. If I didn't already feel like I had a personal maid at my disposal (at all times), now I certainly felt so.
Work hard, Play harder!

Offline benjie1305

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 17, 2016, 05:12:45 PM »
Frankfurt!

As we landed you could see and feel the size of the Frankfurt Airport immediately. It is enormous. On the 10 minute stroll towards our departure gate I saw a couple nice birds sitting around and getting ready for take-off.

On this note I want to thank Yehoshua and Chapshnell for their advice on connecting in FRA. Without them..Oh Boy. Shabbes in Terminal A is what it would have turned into.

So I get off the plane, carry-on in one hand and Singapore bag in the other. [On that note, my wife let me take this trip on one condition: "You better bring me back some PJs!". So - while I do think the PJs need to be "earned" by flying, I will deeeffffiiinniiitteeelllyyy not disagree with my wife and thus made sure to ask my buddy Lee if he could find me a pair. Sure enough he did. Thanks Lee! ] [On another side note, for all those that want to know what I ended up doing about my Carry-on, I went with this one as its one of two that Costco offered at my location and for the same price came with a backpack. So far I am loving the spinner and the backpack. So useful!]

While strolling towards Gate A I obviously could not stop myself from taking some more pictures of airplanes of all sizes parked on this behemoth of an airport.

I go through passport check #1 which is followed by a few minute walk toward security check #1. I had now finally made it from Terminal B to Terminal A - not as simple as I thought it would be - and was ready to find out where to go for my flight when the only DDF'er up at that time (you can all take a guess) said I should try to go to the Maple Leaf Lounge. A quick exchange with him (hint: I can confirm it is a guy) later and I was back on my way to Terminal B where it was located.

I enter the lounge, drop off my bags and make my way to the coffee machine. I am sitting with a nice view of the tarmac and enjoying my coffee and some DDF when I realize I don't actually have a boarding pass for my FRA-VIE flight. Hmm, I should probably get myself one. Up to the front counter of the lounge I go and ask the lady there if and where I could get myself a LH boarding pass printed without having to go all the way to my gate. She advises me that a 3 minute walk from the lounge there is a LH service center that might be open. I make my way over and - of course - it is closed. No LH employee in sight and no boarding pass for me.  Luckily, right next door to the service center was flight LH568 that was starting its boarding process. There I was - surrounded by people trying to board there flight home to Lagos - convincing a Rep to print me a boarding pass. Success. They did it. Now back to the lounge - because if I can access one, why shouldn't I - and into my seat with another coffee and off to relax. It was now 10:50am with the flight boarding at 11:20 and the flight leaving at 11:50. I made sure to find out how much time I should allocate to make it from the lounge to Gate A17 and was told 20-25 minutes being that I'd need to go through security again and its far away.

Entrance

Part of the food area

Seating area

Seating area

My seat

So when it was around 11:05 I decided to make my way over to the gate. Out of the lounge, down the escalator, a 2 minute stroll and back up the escalator. Off to passport security #3. BOOM! The first two times I walked through passport control it was a breeze and took me no longer then 4 minutes but this time, there was one line for all EU citizens and one for all others. All other 12 booths (including the really cool self-serve booths) were closed. This was horrible. A line of at least 120 people was in front of me.

Well now I sure was freaking out. The line was moving at sub-snail pace. One person every 2 minutes. I was definitely missing my flight and there was no solution in sight. It was now 11:30 and I was certain my flight was going to leave without me when 4 self-service booths suddenly opened. The EU line obviously evaporated and all EU passport holders were through the entire control in a matter of 120 seconds. I didn't know what to do. Should I try it (I do have an Austrian passport)? But what if there is an issue (as I traveled into the country on my American passport)? If it doesn't work I'll be at the back of the line and spend Shabbes at Terminal A. I decided that this was a 4th down where I had to go for it. And I did. And I scanned my passport. And I waited. 5 seconds..10 seconds..15 seconds..Beeeeep. I was clear and off to the races. I was running like I never did before. Through the underground escalator and all the way to security. Skipped 4 people with my boarding pass in hand yelling that I was going to miss my flight and finally over to Gate 17. Here I get a stare down by two Lufthansa agents followed by "Benjie1305??". Whoops. I guess I am the last person they were waiting for. Rushed onto the plane and clocked in at 11:46am. Pheeewwww.

Off I was to beautiful Vienna. We basically took off, received drinks (how nice that (alcoholic) beverages and snacks are free) and were made aware by the captain that it was - already - time to land again.

Finally, home sweet home!
Work hard, Play harder!

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2016, 05:26:07 PM »
Good thing you didn't spend more time in the lounge. Which passport are you going to use to leave the EU?

Offline eliteflyer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2016, 08:55:15 PM »
Nice Report. Thanks! A mentor told me to to try never to dine alone, and a premium cabin on an intl flight is the perfect place to network, if you think about it. Also, gorging on the multi-course meals on fine china, just seems odd and hedonistic while watching the IFE rather than being across from someone and having a conversation. On my recent F flight on LH, we didn't dine together, but the first four rows (including myself) all introduced ourselves in the F lounge in JFK and had a good time over drinks on board talking about travel and our respective destinations (and whether we would have time to hit up the FCT).

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2016, 09:00:29 PM »
Nice Report. Thanks! A mentor told me to to try never to dine alone, and a premium cabin on an intl flight is the perfect place to network, if you think about it. Also, gorging on the multi-course meals on fine china, just seems odd and hedonistic while watching the IFE rather than being across from someone and having a conversation. On my recent F flight on LH, we didn't dine together, but the first four rows (including myself) all introduced ourselves in the F lounge in JFK and had a good time over drinks on board talking about travel and our respective destinations (and whether we would have time to hit up the FCT).
Interesting. I would find it really hard to dine with a stranger since I'm more of an introvert, although that my be your point exactly.

Offline TimT

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 17, 2016, 09:04:18 PM »
Good thing you didn't spend more time in the lounge.
+1. Did you feel guilty being the last on the plane ? When it was me I felt guilty. (I was sitting in coach & it was after takeoff time.)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 09:09:11 PM by TimT »

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 17, 2016, 09:05:19 PM »
+1. Did you feel guilty being the last ? When it was me I felt guilty. (I was sitting in coach & it was after takeoff time.)
Huh? Not sure what you're referring to by last time.