Author Topic: Discussion of DDMS Posts/Deals  (Read 229134 times)

Online mevinyavin

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Laptop help/deal request template
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
Re: Discussion of DDMS Posts/Deals
« Reply #1000 on: June 28, 2023, 04:12:22 AM »
This is not a bad deal at all for $300.
Yes it is. I can do better and get name-brand for the same range of price. Especially because [modern] i3s will get you better performance, name-brands will get you better build quality, and both will get you double the battery life (no exaggeration).
Quote from: ExGingi
Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!

Offline yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: June 28, 2023, 09:32:05 AM »
Yes it is. I can do better and get name-brand for the same range of price. Especially because [modern] i3s will get you better performance, name-brands will get you better build quality, and both will get you double the battery life (no exaggeration).
Sample?

Online mevinyavin

• View Profile
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
« Reply #1002 on: June 28, 2023, 11:35:22 AM »
Sample?

1. $330 Ryzen 3 7320U, Aspire 3 15. PCMark score of 9250 versus the 11th gen i7's 10300s. But I wouldn't buy it. I would buy either a cheaper i3 computer (for office work on a budget, the i7 has no advantage) or a more powerful computer if I thought I needed extra power. (Agav, you can get an i5-11th gen for the same price, scores around 10000. But I would take a slightly slower processor with DDR5 RAM.)
Acer Aspire 3 A315-24P-R7VH Slim Laptop | 15.6" Full HD IPS Display | AMD Ryzen 3 7320U Quad-Core Processor | AMD Radeon Graphics | 8GB LPDDR5 | 128GB NVMe SSD | Wi-Fi 6 | Windows 11 Home in S Mode ($899.99 $329.99)

Example of the cheaper:
2. $200 i3-1115G4, Ideapad 3 14. Scores around 6000. (Any processor with a score over 3500 and at least two hyperthreaded cores will be nice and fast for office work.)
https://www.microcenter.com/product/663100/lenovo-ideapad-3-14-laptop-computer-platinum-grey
(In store only. You'll pay about $65 more to get similar specs shipped.)

Example of the more powerful (but still on a budget, mind you):
3. $380 for Ryzen 5 7530, HP 15z direct from HP. Scores more than 16,400 on six cores. There are also Ryzen 7 8 cores for $400, if your workflow benefits from more weaker cores versus less stronger cores.
https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/ConfigureView?langId=-1&storeId=10151&catalogId=10051&catEntryId=3074457345620681323&urlLangId=&quantity=1

Bonus link: someone's been having fun messing with Amazon's listings. You can't buy this now. If you do, whatever comes is highly unlikely to be an Inspiron 7000 2-in-1, especially since the detailed specs say it has a 27" screen (twice).
Dell [Windows 11 Home] 2021 Newest Inspiron 7000 2-in-1 Laptop, 17" QHD+ Touch Display, Intel Core i7-1165G7, 64GB RAM, 1TB SSD, HDMI, Thunderbolt 4, Wi-Fi 6, Webcam, Backlit KB, FP Reader, Silver ($1,049.99 $190.66)

Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #1003 on: June 28, 2023, 11:49:24 AM »
Many people are loyal to Intel and won't buy anything else. What's a competitive Intel laptop with a $300 budget?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Yo ssi

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: June 28, 2023, 11:53:37 AM »
Many people are loyal to Intel and won't buy anything else. What's a competitive Intel laptop with a $300 budget?
Who's loyal to Intel and buys 300 dollar laptops?!
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Online mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #1005 on: June 28, 2023, 12:01:06 PM »
One second. Loyal to Intel and also buy Gateway?  :o
Don't get me wrong. I've had my gemach for 16 years. I have had people tell me, "I need an i7. That's what my boss said. And he's paying."
I get that, nonsensical as it is. And I hope no one takes my comments as condescending, I really just want to help. My point is for everyone else.

I trawled the web today for budget laptops (for someone who bought one, don't worry). I saw i3s for less and i5s from name-brand companies for like $350. (There was also a Gateway with a 12th gen i5 for $300. But only pink was in stock.  :P) https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/4765vs3814/Intel-i5-1235U-vs-Intel-i7-1165G7

Offline yelped

• View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: June 28, 2023, 12:34:33 PM »
1. $330 Ryzen 3 7320U, Aspire 3 15. PCMark score of 9250 versus the 11th gen i7's 10300s. But I wouldn't buy it. I would buy either a cheaper i3 computer (for office work on a budget, the i7 has no advantage) or a more powerful computer if I thought I needed extra power. (Agav, you can get an i5-11th gen for the same price, scores around 10000. But I would take a slightly slower processor with DDR5 RAM.)
Acer Aspire 3 A315-24P-R7VH Slim Laptop | 15.6" Full HD IPS Display | AMD Ryzen 3 7320U Quad-Core Processor | AMD Radeon Graphics | 8GB LPDDR5 | 128GB NVMe SSD | Wi-Fi 6 | Windows 11 Home in S Mode ($899.99 $329.99)

Example of the cheaper:
2. $200 i3-1115G4, Ideapad 3 14. Scores around 6000. (Any processor with a score over 3500 and at least two hyperthreaded cores will be nice and fast for office work.)
https://www.microcenter.com/product/663100/lenovo-ideapad-3-14-laptop-computer-platinum-grey
(In store only. You'll pay about $65 more to get similar specs shipped.)

Example of the more powerful (but still on a budget, mind you):
3. $380 for Ryzen 5 7530, HP 15z direct from HP. Scores more than 16,400 on six cores. There are also Ryzen 7 8 cores for $400, if your workflow benefits from more weaker cores versus less stronger cores.
https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/ConfigureView?langId=-1&storeId=10151&catalogId=10051&catEntryId=3074457345620681323&urlLangId=&quantity=1

Bonus link: someone's been having fun messing with Amazon's listings. You can't buy this now. If you do, whatever comes is highly unlikely to be an Inspiron 7000 2-in-1, especially since the detailed specs say it has a 27" screen (twice).
Dell [Windows 11 Home] 2021 Newest Inspiron 7000 2-in-1 Laptop, 17" QHD+ Touch Display, Intel Core i7-1165G7, 64GB RAM, 1TB SSD, HDMI, Thunderbolt 4, Wi-Fi 6, Webcam, Backlit KB, FP Reader, Silver ($1,049.99 $190.66)

A. PC Mark scores are not representative of performance in enough varied workloads.
B. All of these come with half the storage space.
C. Gateway comes with a touch, full HD screen (not saying anything about the color quality and accuracy).

My go to is Dell Outlet with coupons, cashback and Amex credits, when they have good stuff, which is very often. Can get high end stuff for very cheap sometimes. But not something you can put on DDMS, because of limited stock and you need to know what to order based on fluid inventory.

Online mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: June 28, 2023, 01:49:02 PM »
A. PC Mark scores are not representative of performance in enough varied workloads.
B. All of these come with half the storage space.
C. Gateway comes with a touch, full HD screen (not saying anything about the color quality and accuracy).

My go to is Dell Outlet with coupons, cashback and Amex credits, when they have good stuff, which is very often. Can get high end stuff for very cheap sometimes. But not something you can put on DDMS, because of limited stock and you need to know what to order based on fluid inventory.
A. PCMark is not representative of performance in any particular machine altogether. True. But what is representative is the age of the processor, the cores and the TDP (to an extent), especially in low-end systems designed for office work. You can argue when it comes to old high-end hardware, but not when it comes to processors in the same wattage group. Fact is, this is a three-year-old quad core with the same TDP competing against Ryzen 3s with the same core count but hitting higher clock speeds and with greater cache sizes and with DDR5 RAM. And i3s from 12th gen and on have even greater core counts. Add the horrid build quality that Gateways have into the mix and forget competition. Plus I have never seen a Gateway review with good battery life.
B. I was wondering if you would say anything about that. I personally place next to no value in storage space because of the low cost of upgrades. But surely you would agree that getting an extra 150GB of use space is no reason to buy a cheap computer in other ways. I posted only the pick of the crop, but there were other variations nearby (in price) with more storage.
C. More than that. The Gateway is a 2-in-1 and none of the systems I listed are. Agreed. However, a 2-in-1 is the most crucial of computers to be built well, because the hinge mechanism is another design weakness that can break the computer. This is why I try to talk people out of buying them. Nevertheless, when someone is determined that they need one, I steer them to computers that are built very well: Yogas, Zenbooks, Galaxies, Latitudes... I would never trust Gateway for this.

Dell Outlet is a good address even without credit card bonuses. It is on my list when I trawl for someone. Happens to be that right now there are no codes for Inspirons and Vostros, so I didn't see anything of note when I checked.
(In case anyone cares, and in no particular order: B&H, Best Buy, Newegg, Costco, Dell and Dell Outlet, Asus and Acer's direct store, HP's store, Micro Center, Walmart and Amazon. On Walmart, Amazon and Newegg, I check only what they themselves are selling, not other sellers.)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #1008 on: June 28, 2023, 01:54:09 PM »
This is all fine and dandy, but people like buying 2-in-1s, they like buying Intel and especially Core i7s, they like having 256 or 512GB SSD storage, etc. Consumer habits aren't going to change on a whim even if you want them to.

The post notes that Gateway isn't the best build quality. After that, it's up to the consumer to research. That's what DDF and the rest of the meforshim are for.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Online mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: June 28, 2023, 01:56:59 PM »
This is all fine and dandy, but people like buying 2-in-1s, they like buying Intel and especially Core i7s, they like having 256 or 512GB SSD storage, etc. Consumer habits aren't going to change on a whim even if you want them to.

The post notes that Gateway isn't the best build quality. After that, it's up to the consumer to research. That's what DDF and the rest of the meforshim are for.
Correct. I can talk most people out of bad decisions, but for the rest, I try to make the best of what they ask for.
But I still really don't think it was a good deal... Oh, well.
So long as I have permission to vent about it.  ;D

Online mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: June 28, 2023, 02:01:46 PM »
As I said above:
I don't blame them for posting it - I'm just frustrated.

And also, people do follow my advice, like so:

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: June 28, 2023, 02:02:28 PM »
Correct. I can talk most people out of bad decisions, but for the rest, I try to make the best of what they ask for.
But I still really don't think it was a good deal... Oh, well.
So long as I have permission to vent about it.  ;D
Vent away, I just don't agree with the premise. I think we have laptop advice threads, which is where this discussion makes more sense.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: June 28, 2023, 02:03:47 PM »
As I said above:
And also, people do follow my advice, like so:

Average user probably doesn't even know how to even remove it from S mode...
And 128GB is a joke. How much useable storage does it actually have? Even a phone with 128GB storage would be a joke today.

Offline yelped

• View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: June 28, 2023, 02:44:25 PM »
And 128GB is a joke. How much useable storage does it actually have? Even a phone with 128GB storage would be a joke today.
What he said.

Plus many lower end laptops are very hard to open. Sometimes the storage is even soldered on.

Also, it's not reasonable to expect an end user to do so.

Online mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: June 29, 2023, 03:55:24 AM »
Yes, I often walk them through changing out of S Mode on the phone.
About 70GB usable storage, though not advised to use more than 35GB. And the person buying it is using it for business - word docs alone are not likely to use it up. And I offered to upgrade it for them if/when they run out of room. And I research every laptop to ensure it is upgradeable before recommending it. And the Aspire is extremely easy to get into. (Many lower-end laptops are not - and I point this out to them when nogea. FOr instance, I refuse to upgrade HP laptops if they aren't business laptops, and inform them they will need to pay a techie if they want them upgraded.)
I run a full service gemach, thank you very much.  :D

(Agav, I know nothing about phones, so I don't offer any advice regarding phones.)

Offline yeshivabucher

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Travel Agent, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National EE, Uber VIP, SPG Gold
« Reply #1015 on: June 29, 2023, 10:01:14 AM »

Offline Yo ssi

• View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: July 03, 2023, 09:18:56 AM »
@jj1000 for 512gb this is a better deal
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09B1FN5S3/
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline AMH

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA Platinum,Star Alliance Gold, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's circle, Europcar privilege Elite, Marriot Gold
« Reply #1017 on: July 03, 2023, 06:31:51 PM »
https://www.dansdeals.com/points-travel/trip-notes/navigated-joys-flying-summer-2023s-first-aviation-system-meltdown/

What a post ffeeewww

If DDMS would have a like button I'm sure that post would get many of them.
👆 אהבת חינם

Offline AMH

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA Platinum,Star Alliance Gold, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's circle, Europcar privilege Elite, Marriot Gold
« Reply #1018 on: July 03, 2023, 06:40:26 PM »
👆 אהבת חינם

Offline Yo ssi

• View Profile
« Last Edit: July 04, 2023, 10:51:08 PM by Yo ssi »
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_