Author Topic: Is Zika Changing How You Travel?  (Read 101233 times)

Offline CS91

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Is Zika Changing How You Travel?
« Reply #140 on: March 30, 2016, 11:33:10 AM »
I don't get it. Why is it so hard to just not visit the Central America area for .5-1 years or until news spreads that this thing is passed? There are other places to vacation, why take the risk?
I think it's more annoying with the Caribbean because it's close and good for a quick getaway.

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 30, 2016, 11:34:31 AM »
I don't get it. Why is it so hard to just not visit the Central America area for .5-1 years or until news spreads that this thing is passed? There are other places to vacation, why take the risk?
Of course, but
1. I don't think the .5-1 years is accurate
2. Will all be a moot point once Zika spreads up the eastern seaboard
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #142 on: March 30, 2016, 11:36:40 AM »

Oiy. I love these questions. As if you can't process the reason why people would want to visit central america: 1) it's close, 2) it's beautiful, 3) its cheap. As such, it makes for a very compelling vacation, so one spends the time and effort to determine if its feasible or not given the current climate.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline EJB

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 30, 2016, 11:42:23 AM »
Oiy. I love these questions. As if you can't process the reason why people would want to visit central america: 1) it's close, 2) it's beautiful, 3) its cheap. As such, it makes for a very compelling vacation, so one spends the time and effort to determine if its feasible or not given the current climate.

And most people prefer it to DEN :)

Offline Emkay

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 30, 2016, 11:42:37 AM »
You don't need to go to it. Its coming for you.

Offline srap

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 30, 2016, 11:43:07 AM »
You think so?  I think it is only the tip of the iceberg.  Perhaps the scare will pass once they create a vaccine.

I was contemplating rushing to Florida (or wherever) before it's too late.  The longer we wait, the more areas will be affected and the greater the number of cases in those areas.  There is too much uncertainty surrounding all the possible ramifications of zika.  This is REALLY going to impinge travel for me.

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 30, 2016, 11:45:18 AM »
You think so?  I think it is only the tip of the iceberg.  Perhaps the scare will pass once they create a vaccine.

I was contemplating rushing to Florida (or wherever) before it's too late.  The longer we wait, the more areas will be affected and the greater the number of cases in those areas.  There is too much uncertainty surrounding all the possible ramifications of zika.  This is REALLY going to impinge travel for me.
+1, was looking at booking December travel to Florida now, but at this point that seems really premature. I doubt we'll be able to go

Offline srap

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 30, 2016, 11:47:57 AM »
+1, was looking at booking December travel to Florida now, but at this point that seems really premature. I doubt we'll be able to go
So maybe rebook for ben hazmanim after pesach? It is already there, but NOTHING like what it will be in the coming months (years?)
Not as bad as Central America yet.

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 30, 2016, 12:25:03 PM »
So maybe rebook for ben hazmanim after pesach? It is already there, but NOTHING like what it will be in the coming months (years?)
Not as bad as Central America yet.
Unfortunately I'm no longer in Yeshiva, so no, after Pesach won't work.
Yeah, I have a suspicion we won't be going to Florida for a while

Offline chevron

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 30, 2016, 12:42:12 PM »
Going to Florida is great if you like a sub tropical paradise in the USA, weird because I was just in south beach for the first time in years (By this I mean down past 14th and collins) and its so much to me like  foreign city lol

I am going to the Turks and Caicos next week and my family thinks im nuts... we have beaches every where here but its not the same when you live here. Yes many live here and go to the beach or bay often to swim, fish and boat, I never really got in to it, if I go to the beach here by day I feel like I should be doing something else.

Also I just put things off, theres no drive to explore.. besides I explored historic overtown yesterday on the way to zak's and I was thankful I carry a gun... historic my tuches.. it has a history of violent crime, I think you tourists will probably explore much more than us locals, we still have the stigma of overtown, liberty city etc

Offline Boruch999

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #150 on: March 30, 2016, 12:48:48 PM »
I have nothing to add.  I wish, though, to follow this thread.  I attempted the "." method twice, thinking I dreamed the first attempt.  I now realize the "." method must be banned and my "."s were deleted.  I am sorry.

Offline efflpetzel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 30, 2016, 12:54:39 PM »
can someone answer this question:

If I travel to Brazil even for a day or two, do I have to abstain from sex for 6 months?

Offline Joe4007

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 30, 2016, 01:08:44 PM »
can someone answer this question:

If I travel to Brazil even for a day or two, do I have to abstain from sex for 6 months?
IANAD, but if you don't develop symptoms and your wife isn't pregnant it seems that the recommendation is 8 weeks.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #153 on: March 30, 2016, 01:12:17 PM »
IANAD, but if you don't develop symptoms and your wife isn't pregnant it seems that the recommendation is 8 weeks.
4/5 people infected with Zika have no symptoms...
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #154 on: March 30, 2016, 01:21:30 PM »
Going to Florida is great if you like a sub tropical paradise in the USA, weird because I was just in south beach for the first time in years (By this I mean down past 14th and collins) and its so much to me like  foreign city lol

I am going to the Turks and Caicos next week and my family thinks im nuts... we have beaches every where here but its not the same when you live here. Yes many live here and go to the beach or bay often to swim, fish and boat, I never really got in to it, if I go to the beach here by day I feel like I should be doing something else.

Also I just put things off, theres no drive to explore.. besides I explored historic overtown yesterday on the way to zak's and I was thankful I carry a gun... historic my tuches.. it has a history of violent crime, I think you tourists will probably explore much more than us locals, we still have the stigma of overtown, liberty city etc

LOL @ comparing the beaches of T&C to MIA.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Emkay

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 30, 2016, 01:23:28 PM »

I don't think there's a beach destination I dislike as much as FL. (Except maybe Eilat)

Offline @Yehuda

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 30, 2016, 01:35:09 PM »
Another example of how I differ from most on here. I don't need to vacation. I don't need to travel. And I certainly don't need to visit these specific areas during these upcoming months and years because they're beautiful, close, and/or cheap. If I decide to go on a vacation, it will because I wanted to, and it will be to the plenty of close, cheap, and beautiful parts of the USA, or I won't opt for close and "cheap" and will travel further out. If Zika makes it's way here, that will affect much more than just my upcoming travel plans.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 30, 2016, 01:54:00 PM »
Huh? Who said anything about need?

Offline mgarfin

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 30, 2016, 02:38:40 PM »

I would add, that for a winter getaway, its warm as opposed to Europe and Canada.

Offline mgarfin

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 30, 2016, 02:55:15 PM »

Why would you need to, if partner is not pregnant or planing to become? there is a small chance they will get it from a male for 6+ months, but thats not the end of the world.