Author Topic: New Car Buying Thread  (Read 4598 times)

Offline moish

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
New Car Buying Thread
« on: March 09, 2011, 08:44:13 AM »
looking to buy a prius. any suggestions?
preferably new 2011.
who has the best deals in the tri state area?
(not lease)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 09:15:29 AM by Dan »

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
Re: looking to buy a prius. any suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 09:03:46 AM »
preferably new 2011.
who has the best deals in the tri state area?
(not lease)

I think for the best deal you need to shop around and negotiate (even with the dealers known to have the best deals).
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline moish

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 09:06:47 AM »
i got some quotes from cars.com

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 09:15:29 AM »
i got some quotes from cars.com

I remember Dan discussing how he got a deal on a Honda Odyssey, you might want to look for that.

I think you need to get quotes/negotiate via email and make sure to be 100% clear (also via email) that that is the bottom-line price (have them break it down to include tax, tags, destination and any other fees). Also make sure you have the same model/style/options.

Once you have the best bottom-line price, clarify/negotiate payment method (you may be able to pay at least part with CC for example), then you just come to the dealership, sign the papers (once you confirm there's no bait-and-switch with the price/configuration) and pay for the car.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 11:15:32 AM »
I remember Dan discussing how he got a deal on a Honda Odyssey, you might want to look for that.

I think you need to get quotes/negotiate via email and make sure to be 100% clear (also via email) that that is the bottom-line price (have them break it down to include tax, tags, destination and any other fees). Also make sure you have the same model/style/options.

Once you have the best bottom-line price, clarify/negotiate payment method (you may be able to pay at least part with CC for example), then you just come to the dealership, sign the papers (once you confirm there's no bait-and-switch with the price/configuration) and pay for the car.
Yup, I just emailed every dealership in the state and found the cheapest and got them to deliver it.  Stress that you want to know the exact bottom line with all fees/taxes or else it will all be a waste of time.

You can also use Amex Zag: http://amexnetwork.zag.com/main.html
Use a fake name/email (Once you go through Zag they won't go lower than that price, hence the fake stuff) and you'll have a base line to start negotiating from once you request the bottom line zag price.  If you can't do as well as Zag then just use Zag, where you can also charge part of the car on an AMEX.

My brother used Zag and found a dealer in Baltimore where he got an 2010 Elantra for literally thousands of dollars less than the local price.  I think it was $13K out the door with tax and he got to charge part to an AMEX.  He flew to BWI, the dealer picked him up from the airport, the manager then complained about how low the price was, but my brother had a clear out-the-door quote in writing so they had to honor it.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 01:21:49 PM »
Could the OP please keep us posted on how he fares?

Offline moish

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 01:40:17 AM »
i will indeed. but its a process

Offline dracs

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
Need Advice on buying car
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 01:29:03 AM »
Hello All,

First time post , have been following the site regularly but just joined. I have absolutely zero experience in owning car so wanted some advice.
We are planning to buy a new car and generally looking at 2010 Hyundai Elantra(GLS) since 2011 would way expensive than 2010.
I did read about the topic for buying prius.
From that topic got ideas so looked around Zag. I also looked at some autobrag which seems like non functional.
I am in Lincoln,Nebraska. I tried looking out of state and seems like Tampa has low price for it, $13481, Lincoln has $15881 on Zag
Dan, also mentioned about how his brother found some dealer selling for cheap Elantra, Dan was it by chance your brother stumbled about it or some strategy involved in it.?
Also Dan, you mentioned about using Zag as starting point. Also if I try to negotiate should I use my real identity and is there any chance if I flew down there, they can refuse on what they quoted in mail? I think they can't refuse on ZAG price.
Any pointers?

Thanks,
Dracs

Offline Eli

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Platinum, Priority Club Platinum, Fairmont Premier, Avis First, Star Alliance Gold, bmi Gold and A"A Lifetime Gold
Re: New Car Buying Thread
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2011, 02:31:11 PM »
DON'T buy off some website offering a car for much cheaper than retail, and all you need to do is wire them the $3,000 deposit, but don't worry because there is a 3 day NO QUESTIONS ASKED full refund period.

A friend of mine almost got sucked into one of these. They have real fully functioning websites!
-Eli

Offline Yellow

• View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Hertz #1 gold, Accor Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2011, 07:47:29 PM »
DON'T buy off some website offering a car for much cheaper than retail, and all you need to do is wire them the $3,000 deposit, but don't worry because there is a 3 day NO QUESTIONS ASKED full refund period.

A friend of mine almost got sucked into one of these. They have real fully functioning websites!
is this refund on new cars or used cars? or both?

Offline Yordai Dooma

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA EXP/LT Platinum, SPG gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National EE,
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2011, 08:20:02 PM »
is this refund on new cars or used cars? or both?

i think mostly used...this scam is all over CL
And there is no such thing as ebay escrow service

Offline bestwatchman

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2011, 04:13:13 PM »
Regret! Just found the car I bought last week for 1150.00 cheaper, technically only 650 cheaper cause mine came with a service plan, whats the return policy on a new car (sarcasm)

Offline yossi4k

• View Profile
  • Programs: Avis President's Club National Executive Elite Sixt Platinum
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2012, 06:19:01 PM »
Looking to finance an altima v6 or maxima. Out of the door prices are: 25,095 altima 34,424 maxima. Is this a good price and is there anything I should look into before walking into the dealership? I did Amex Zagg but those prices were higher

Offline aussiebochur

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2012, 03:15:14 PM »