Author Topic: Rechnitz's Lakewood Speech  (Read 80159 times)

Online skyguy918

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Random Posts
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2016, 02:58:40 PM »
They wouldn't waste their time trying...

I posted the extreme example, but the point is that generally speaking, accepting kids by family type is not necessarily "gaavah".
Fwiu, rechnitz is demanding an open door policy where any " shomer shabbos " can get it.
This is simply unrealistic and IMHO wrong.
If there is a shortage of spots relative to the number of children, then obviously that needs to be addressed. If not, then that indicates that there's a mismatch spots of each 'type' (as defined by the yeshivos) and the number of each 'type' of kids (as defined by the parents).

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2016, 03:29:49 PM »

I posted the extreme example, but the point is that generally speaking, accepting kids by family type is not necessarily "gaavah".
Fwiu, rechnitz is demanding an open door policy where any " shomer shabbos " can get it.
I was once in the office of a Rosh Mosad of a more right wing school when someone was pressuring him to accept a girl and he answered "The kid's mother couldn't even dress normally for an hour at registration to get her kid into school and you think she is a fit for our school?"

So the answer to this question
So the Lacoste family is trying to get into the super yeshivish place?
Can be yes. Ask any of the askanim and they will tell you this.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline yochiek93

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2016, 03:34:59 PM »
I was once in the office of a Rosh Mosad of a more right wing school when someone was pressuring him to accept a girl and he answered "The kid's mother couldn't even dress normally for an hour at registration to get her kid into school and you think she is a fit for our school?"

So the answer to this questionCan be yes. Ask any of the askanim and they will tell you this.
Good point, but why should the kid suffer  they can turn out/be different than the parent

Offline Dr Moose

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2016, 03:35:50 PM »
Good point, but why should the kid suffer  they can turn out/be different than the parent
מעשה אבות סימן לבנים

Hey there! I am using DansDeals Forums.

Online aygart

• View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2016, 03:43:46 PM »
There is little question that the child will be brought up differently. If the parents would just be happy sending to a school apprpriate for their values they would have a much easier time.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline yoruel

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2016, 03:44:02 PM »
I was told in Monsey, the rebbe would run to the vaad hachinuch if the class gets to large.

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2016, 03:44:23 PM »
Is it just me or is the whole tit for tat between spouses that comes up in TRs (my wife went on a trip so now I get to) a little odd?
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline yochiek93

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2016, 03:45:12 PM »
Is it just me or is the whole tit for tat between spouses that comes up in TRs (my wife went on a trip so now I get to) a little odd?
Agree

Offline dealfinder85

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2016, 03:47:11 PM »

Offline username

• View Profile
  • Programs: ┌──────────────────┐ │───> Ữ₴ΣЯИΛΜӘ <─── │ └──────────────────┘
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2016, 04:33:11 PM »
I guess its not just you, but I dont think its odd.
^^^

Offline stbaum

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2016, 05:00:16 PM »
some people feel the need for justification for going on a solo trip when dw (or dh) has to stay at home and (FLOABT) 'babysit'. i see nothing odd
My greatest achievement? I am fluent in FRIENDS quotes

Offline churnbabychurn

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 05:08:00 PM by churnbabychurn »

Offline grodnoking

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2016, 05:17:56 PM »

I went to an elementary school where the families ranged from yeshivish to more modox families (although just a few). Yes my parents would not let me go to some classmates houses for a sleepover or things like that. But being an issue for the kids upbringing it was not.
I'm not who you think I am.

Offline Aaaron

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2016, 05:31:15 PM »
http://hefkervelt.blogspot.com/2016/01/floodgates-of-lakewood-bashing-have.html?m=1

Yeah, the floodgates are wide open.

http://m.bhol.co.il/article.aspx?id=95599
The hate and sinah has been pouring in from outsiders who've never lived here or dont understand what the reality is. Lakewood, New Jersey bore the brunt of two massive storms this weekend was the opening line to the VIN article. Yeshiva world news pinned the Rechnitz speech with Rabbi Yair Hoffman sticking in his two cents poking fun at the entire Lakewood tzibbur. "It was a powerful, emotional speech that cut to the very heart of a grave and critical problem that is uniquely affecting the Jewish community in Lakewood " Yair Hoffman said. The comments are nothing but bashing the entire Lakewood, by clueless and  ignoramus, haters that have crawled out from their hole. YAY another Lakewood bashing news article. This is even more of a reason why this speech should not have been said in a public forum. The bottom line is there is a lack of space and when you have that it leads to other issues. There are many kollel guys who get the runaround from roshei mosdos  when they apply why were they absolved but the entire tzibbur was blasted?? does this issue also not exisits in other communities? It sure does but when it comes to lakewood everyone likes to spew their sinah. What a shame!

Huh?  ???

How was Yair Hoffman "bashing an entire Lakewood?"  This whole speech was to bring awareness - and possibly change - to a very specific issue that is obviously near and dear to him. He even heaps praise upon Lakewood as a general community for its many pros.  Why are a few people acting like such whiny victims?  I just don't get it.  The above quote is a perfect example of people attempting to skirt the issue by claiming the he was criticizing them in their entirety.  Grow up. 

"hate and sinah has been pouring in..."  stop with all the hyperbole already. 

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2016, 07:05:40 PM »
His speach was full of negative stereotypes that have been used countless times by many. Nothing new at all but he definitely stirred the pot.

Yes, criticizing yeshiva people is no joke. הזהר בגחלתן ...

The sinah of amei haaretz to talmiday chachomim is always simmering beneath the surface... Big chillul hashem.

But its all worth it in the end.

http://www.thelakewoodscoop.com/news/2016/01/breaking-shlomo-yehuda-rechnitz-pledges-1-5-million-to-reb-kanareks-mosdos.html
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 07:24:38 PM by churnbabychurn »

Offline thaber

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2016, 07:25:54 PM »

So the answer to this questionCan be yes. Ask any of the askanim and they will tell you this.
Call me an OOT naive guy,  but seems wrong to me for the "Rosh mosad of a right wing school" to be basing acceptance policy based on how he judged the mother to be dressed. Wrong both intrinsically as an acceptance policy,  and wrong because it will be perceived by anyone in the world as inappropriate for a Ben Torah to be the judge of.
Absolute objective benchmarks such as TV or Internet are a much better way to go.

Offline David Smith

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2016, 07:31:12 PM »
Mods, can you move this discussion to the Future of Lakewood thread or something?
Who do you think you are fooling? You think you are going to pull a quick one on your Creator? Good luck with that.
JTZ

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2016, 07:38:14 PM »
Call me an OOT naive guy,  but seems wrong to me for the "Rosh mosad of a right wing school" to be basing acceptance policy based on how he judged the mother to be dressed. Wrong both intrinsically as an acceptance policy,  and wrong because it will be perceived by anyone in the world as inappropriate for a Ben Torah to be the judge of.
Absolute objective benchmarks such as TV or Internet are a much better way to go.
Agree. It's diabolical how the mothers have to come to be viewed by many of the Roshei mosdos.

Though it is true that the kids of ehrliche mothers cannot be compared to the kids of the yatzonios. - Both in middos and Yiras Shomayim (heard from an experienced teacher..).

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2016, 07:39:02 PM »
Mods, can you move this discussion to the Future of Lakewood thread or something?
It's shtering the randomness?

Offline David Smith

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2016, 07:41:46 PM »
It's shtering the randomness?
Gerecht. Also, this isn't meant for a conversation, and certainly not one about a real topic.
Who do you think you are fooling? You think you are going to pull a quick one on your Creator? Good luck with that.
JTZ