Author Topic: Rechnitz's Lakewood Speech  (Read 81264 times)

Offline good sam

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
Re: Rechnitz's Lakewood Speech
« Reply #380 on: January 31, 2016, 09:15:17 AM »
I have a major Kasha on this past week's Parsha: Yisro showed up from out of town with an idea and asked the Godol Hador about it, who in turn sought out Hashem's approval. Why in the world didn't Yisro just stand up in front of Klal Yiroel and just preach them his idea? (I'm kidding overall but there is a lesson to learn IMO.)
Because he was confident that the leader would consult with Hashem.
If you don't care why would you comment?
HT: DMYD

Offline Sport

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: January 31, 2016, 10:02:05 AM »

Offline joe1234

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: January 31, 2016, 10:14:08 AM »
I have a major Kasha on this past week's Parsha: Yisro showed up from out of town with an idea and asked the Godol Hador about it, who in turn sought out Hashem's approval. Why in the world didn't Yisro just stand up in front of Klal Yiroel and just preach them his idea? (I'm kidding overall but there is a lesson to learn IMO.)
maybe he first consulted his shver just like yisro did

Offline mendy from lakewood

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 26
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Premier 1K, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, National EE, Hertz Presidential.
« Reply #383 on: January 31, 2016, 10:19:41 AM »
maybe he first consulted his shver just like yisro did
too late now to ask his shver
"Respect is earned, Honesty is appreciated, Trust is gained, Loyalty is returned"

Offline David Smith

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: January 31, 2016, 10:20:24 AM »
too late now to ask his shver
Wasn't at the time.
Who do you think you are fooling? You think you are going to pull a quick one on your Creator? Good luck with that.
JTZ

Offline yomo

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: January 31, 2016, 10:35:27 AM »
That story is commonly said with a gevir, not a rosh hamosad.....
Actually believe he said it to a fundraiser

Offline yochiek93

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: January 31, 2016, 10:37:19 AM »
Actually believe he said it to a fundraiser
I think Reb Shalom Ber Sorotzkin says it about himself. (He has a huge network of kollelim)

Offline MarkS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile

Offline Baruch

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: January 31, 2016, 01:49:42 PM »
Wow! Kurtz un sharf! Love!

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #389 on: January 31, 2016, 02:49:40 PM »
http://hefkervelt.blogspot.com/2016/01/the-shoresh-of-problem-is-our-growth-kah.html?m=1
Thing is, that as far as elementary schools go, as of today, there are more slots than kids. - though some schools are brand new.

So the shoresh of the problem is the selectiveness of parents, selecting an institution where their child will basically spend 8 years.
IMHO being selective when it comes to our most important assets is totally justified and not at all elitist.

Offline MarkS

• View Profile
« Reply #390 on: January 31, 2016, 02:57:49 PM »
Thing is, that as far as elementary schools go, as of today, there are more slots than kids. - though some schools are brand new.

So the shoresh of the problem is the selectiveness of parents, selecting an institution where their child will basically spend 8 years.
IMHO being selective when it comes to our most important assets is totally justified and not at all elitist.

Who says that only [insert name of the 'top' 3-4 schools that everyone thinks is the only place possible for their kid to shteig] is a good school? There are many excellent 'newer' schools that have space and want these children but instead the parents are crying to SYR to get them into their first choice school. I say 'newer' because in most of them they hire teachers and principals who have decades of experience in chinuch. I think the reason that many parents are hesitant to send to a newer school is because they are afraid of what people will say/think of them when they're not announcing that they're sending to [again, insert above school name].

A lot of it has to do with the parents feeling a certain status based on where they are sending their kids.

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #391 on: January 31, 2016, 03:32:06 PM »
Who says that only [insert name of the 'top' 3-4 schools that everyone thinks is the only place possible for their kid to shteig] is a good school? There are many excellent 'newer' schools that have space and want these children but instead the parents are crying to SYR to get them into their first choice school. I say 'newer' because in most of them they hire teachers and principals who have decades of experience in chinuch. I think the reason that many parents are hesitant to send to a newer school is because they are afraid of what people will say/think of them when they're not announcing that they're sending to [again, insert above school name].

A lot of it has to do with the parents feeling a certain status based on where they are sending their kids.
There is also the risk that a school will not end up where you think it will that is significantly lower with an established school. I made the same cheshbon that you wrote and was burned by it and with the advise, urging, and eventually active involvement of my Rosh Yeshiva ended up switching my son to a different school. It was not a pleasant experience.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Baruch

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: January 31, 2016, 04:23:53 PM »
There is one school opening this year by a very talented individual.
I know a Rav telling people that come to him, to go there, and that it's gonna be a very successful school.

But, many don't listen, and are begging him to get them into the 3 schools that have 100 applications per desk.

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #393 on: January 31, 2016, 04:27:39 PM »
There is one school opening this year by a very talented individual.
I know a Rav telling people that come to him, to go there, and that it's gonna be a very successful school.

But, many don't listen, and are begging him to get them into the 3 schools that have 100 applications per desk.
Who S?

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #394 on: January 31, 2016, 06:11:14 PM »

Offline mendy from lakewood

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 26
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Premier 1K, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, National EE, Hertz Presidential.
"Respect is earned, Honesty is appreciated, Trust is gained, Loyalty is returned"

Offline Sam Finkelstein

• View Profile
Formula for success: rise early, work hard, strike oil. –J. Paul Getty

Offline MarkS

• View Profile
« Reply #397 on: January 31, 2016, 06:53:52 PM »
"Your IP has been banned by the Administrator."
Oh no - what have u done wrong??

EXCLUSIVE: Refining Rechnitz Targeting – by Richard H. Roberts, M.D., Ph.D. -

I have never spoken with Reb Shlomo Yehuda Rechnitz, nor heard him speak, until a video of his speech last week regarding the Lakewood community vis-a-vis its school system.
It is clear that Reb Shlomo is a tsaddik who cares about the suffering and welfare of Lakewood children and families and who uses his time, energy, thought, and money to try to rectify some of our challenges.

Advertise On TLS »
The following information should enable him to more precisely identify the challenges to more effectively target his solutions.

The rejection of some children by Lakewood schools, beyond capacity limitations, is not due to arrogance, a lack of caring, or elitism. It is due to a desire to insulate pure souls, during their developmental years, from secular values and the pervasive electronic media which pushes those secular values in tempting and seductive packaging to children who do not yet understand the world around them.

Intel makes computer chips, and pharmaceutical companies make injectable drugs, in absolutely pure environments since introduction of contaminants during the formation process can ruin the resultant product. The more contaminants there are the greater the risk of a faulty product that is supposed to perform correctly when launched into the world.

Many people in Lakewood accept a life of severe economic hardship to live and raise their families in a pure Torah environment. In my experience, when a group of these people will leave a school if a certain student attends it is not due to some elitist, arrogant, or callous attitude but it is to protect the success of their most important product, their children.

During adolescence, children are developing their own identities separate from their parents and within the context of the group that surrounds them (which is a child’s society). The degree that secular values are permitted to enter that child’s society is an increased level of risk that the child’s development will be distracted or derailed from Torah values.

Not every Orthodox Jew agrees that the level of dress, exposure to electronic media, or extracurricular activities must meet the standards of the “greasy yeshivish” community (disclaimer – I love and respect “greasy yeshivish” and I financially support such people.). But the response should not be to try to force the “more-with-it” children into greasy-yeshivish schools. The correct target for Reb Shlomo should be to sponsor a range of more-with-it schools in Lakewood so that the entire range of frum children can be accommodated.

For example, one such boy’s school might be for those with video in the home but who want mostly Torah learning. Another such boy’s school might teach a couple of hours of Torah each day but mostly teach professions such as being a plumber, electrician, computer repair technician, and car repair expert. There would need to be a variety of girl’s schools too.

On a personal note, my first child was rejected from the Lakewood elementary school, that we applied to, three weeks before the school year was scheduled to start. For two weeks, I called multiple times to the school begging them to tell me why she was rejected. No one ever picked up the phone but I left messages explaining that I was not trying to get her into the school anymore but we just wanted to know if there was something that we needed to change or if I had insulted someone to whom I needed to apologize. For those two weeks, I felt that the Lakewood community had “spit me out” as Eretz Yisroel does to treif behavior. Since my daughter was six years old, and my wife was from Bais Yaakov of Boro Park, I could only conclude that I must have damaged my child by my being a baal tsheuvah. We would need to move ASAP out of Lakewood so that my daughter could go to school. The pain, the hurt, the aching was indescribably deep and unrelenting. After two weeks of no reply from the school, we were told from friends who knew the administration that we were rejected because we had a video machine (VHS in those days) in our home which we used to play children’s videos (Uncle Moishe, Sesame Street, etc.). That day we gave our video machine to a kiruv organization. Our home became video-free. With one week left to the school year, we were accepted to another “right wing” girl’s school in Lakewood which subsequently educated all of my girls and to which I donated over $1.6MM years later when I had some financial success.

I understand the pain of having one’s child rejected from admittance to the school system. But the solution is not to force schools to accept children who do not represent what each particular school is trying to achieve. Reb Shlomo can do a lot of good by sponsoring additional schools which are designed to accept the children and families who do not fit the current schools’ objectives. Everyone agrees that every child is precious and deserves a Torah education. Reb Shlomo has demonstrated the caring and willingness to dedicate his resources to achieving this goal. I hope that this essay will help him to refine his targeting to achieve a solution.

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #398 on: January 31, 2016, 07:01:28 PM »
RRR weighs in. It doesn't get any better :)

Offline MarkS

• View Profile
« Reply #399 on: January 31, 2016, 07:04:31 PM »
RRR weighs in. It doesn't get any better :)
Umm, isn't that your response? That I should be allowed to choose the best for my kid?