Author Topic: Rechnitz's Lakewood Speech  (Read 81046 times)

Offline churnbabychurn

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Random Posts
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2016, 07:45:27 PM »
Gerecht. Also, this isn't meant for a conversation, and certainly not one about a real topic.
There's a whole rechnitz thread somewhere I think..

Offline David Smith

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2016, 07:46:51 PM »
There's a whole rechnitz thread somewhere I think..
Meh. This isn't about Rechnitz, beikar.
Who do you think you are fooling? You think you are going to pull a quick one on your Creator? Good luck with that.
JTZ

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2016, 07:50:30 PM »
Call me an OOT naive guy,  but seems wrong to me for the "Rosh mosad of a right wing school" to be basing acceptance policy based on how he judged the mother to be dressed. Wrong both intrinsically as an acceptance policy,  and wrong because it will be perceived by anyone in the world as inappropriate for a Ben Torah to be the judge of.
Absolute objective benchmarks such as TV or Internet are a much better way to go.
As it happens he did not meet with the mother himself, the menaheles did. How she dresses can be a very good way of telling their values. We are not even discussing how she dresses regularly, just when she is meeting with the school to get her daughter in and she knows what they are looking for.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline thaber

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2016, 07:54:28 PM »
As it happens he did not meet with the mother himself, the menaheles did. How she dresses can be a very good way of telling their values. We are not even discussing how she dresses regularly, just when she is meeting with the school to get her daughter in and she knows what they are looking for.
Regardless,  and not arguing with the truth of your statement,  there are absolute,  objective standards that can be used, to the same ends.  This comes off as 'anyone who doesn't look exactly like everyone else is a shiksa' .

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2016, 07:55:37 PM »
Regardless,  and not arguing with the truth of your statement,  there are absolute,  objective standards that can be used, to the same ends.  This comes off as 'anyone who doesn't look exactly like everyone else is a shiksa' .
More like if it looks like a duck etc..

Offline yakrot

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2016, 08:02:14 PM »

His speach was full of negative stereotypes that have been used countless times by many. Nothing new at all but he definitely stirred the pot.

Yes, criticizing yeshiva people is no joke. הזהר בגחלתן ...

The sinah of amei haaretz to talmiday chachomim is always simmering beneath the surface... Big chillul hashem.

But its all worth it in the end.

http://www.thelakewoodscoop.com/news/2016/01/breaking-shlomo-yehuda-rechnitz-pledges-1-5-million-to-reb-kanareks-mosdos.html
didnt know Kanaric was in any need of money

Offline Aaaron

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2016, 08:22:55 PM »
His speach was full of negative stereotypes that have been used countless times by many. Nothing new at all but he definitely stirred the pot.

Yes, criticizing yeshiva people is no joke. הזהר בגחלתן ...

The sinah of amei haaretz to talmiday chachomim is always simmering beneath the surface... Big chillul hashem.

But its all worth it in the end.

http://www.thelakewoodscoop.com/news/2016/01/breaking-shlomo-yehuda-rechnitz-pledges-1-5-million-to-reb-kanareks-mosdos.html

Let me get this straight: you chastise the guy for bringing about sinah, criticizing yeshiva people, and spreading negative stereotypes.
But it's now ok because he made a pledge?? Man, I wish I had convictions as strong as yours.

Offline Super Speed

• View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis First, National Executive Elite, Sixt Platinum.
« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2016, 08:24:32 PM »
Let me get this straight: you chastise the guy for bringing about sinah, criticizing yeshiva people, and spreading negative stereotypes.
But it's now ok because he made a pledge?? Man, I wish I had convictions as strong as yours.
The way you twist what other people say is astounding.

Offline Aaaron

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2016, 08:25:22 PM »
It's what I get paid to do. Seriously interested in what he meant though.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2016, 08:31:17 PM »
How do you understand what he wrote?

Offline Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2016, 09:31:51 PM »
Not so astounding. That's how I understood it too.

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2016, 09:43:29 PM »
I was being half sarcastic in this one.

To be honest I have very mixed feelings about this whole story.
On one hand I am am disappointed (to put it mildly!) In his "take down" of yeshiva people.
On the other hand, from his pov, he hears horrible stories of pain that he has to contend with. I'm sure he honestly means well.

And then there's the 1.5 million $$$, which means we can definitely say on him that he is putting money where his mouth is.

I think he also simply doesn't understand Lakewood and its issues, but thinks money can fix everything. - he may actually be right!

Offline SamKey

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: If I'm there I can't be here and if I'm here I can't be there
  • Programs: National EE; Hertz PC; Sixt Plt; Avis First; Hilton Gold; Priority Club Plt; West Bestern DE; Carlson Club GE; Accor PLT
« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2016, 06:46:49 AM »
If you heard the speech he clearly stated that Kanrek is not one of the ones he's criticizing.

On one hand I am am disappointed (to put it mildly!) In his "take down" of yeshiva people.
On the other hand, from his pov, he hears horrible stories of pain that he has to contend with. I'm sure he honestly means well.

And then there's the 1.5 million $$$, which means we can definitely say on him that he is putting money where his mouth is.

I think he also simply doesn't understand Lakewood and its issues, but thinks money can fix everything. - he may actually be right!

I share similar feelings I just don't think he put down yeshiva guys. It's hard to deny that there is such a feeling of elitism/competition which consequently entails the lack of caring for another. This is apparent in schools that focus more on midos than learning, they have lower levels of learning but have better midos. He is quite idealistic about fixing all the world's problem, not that it's an issue as some good will definitely come from it.
IMHO the answer to all problems on Lakewood is to have the yeshiva move to some God-forsaken city and leave everyone else behind. Nobody will complain about the Flatbush skirts or the 5 towns sheitels anymore and schools will have a lot less yeshiva clientele..... :D

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2016, 06:57:42 AM »

IMHO the answer to all problems on Lakewood is to have the yeshiva move to some God-forsaken city and leave everyone else behind. Nobody will complain about the Flatbush skirts or the 5 towns sheitels anymore and schools will have a lot less yeshiva clientele..... :D

I happen to agree. But this attitude of מאי אהני לן רבנן is exactly what some don't want their kids exposed to.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2016, 09:30:28 AM »
It's hard to deny that there is such a feeling of elitism/competition which consequently entails the lack of caring for another. This is apparent in schools that focus more on midos than learning, they have lower levels of learning but have better midos.
IME that is untrue. They just feel their elitism about other things. Whether children in such schools have better midos is very debatable.

Offline Super Speed

• View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis First, National Executive Elite, Sixt Platinum.
« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2016, 09:36:33 AM »
It's what I get paid to do. Seriously interested in what he meant though.

How do you understand what he wrote?

Not so astounding. That's how I understood it too.
Knowing CBC from around the forums I thought it was simple he was being sarcastic...

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile

Offline Aaaron

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 27, 2016, 10:37:51 AM »

I need to apologize to you for that personal attack.  A few days of schools being closed has worn down on my nerves.  I'm truly sorry.

Knowing CBC from around the forums I thought it was simple he was being sarcastic...

So me understanding his post literally was twisting his words?  :o  Ok...

Offline yr

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Interesting Articles...
« Reply #58 on: January 27, 2016, 10:59:51 AM »
http://www.thelakewoodscoop.com/news/2016/01/letter-in-response-to-the-confusion-of-sunday-nights-fiery-speech.html

Putting aside who's right and who's wrong for a minute, I think it's pretty normal for Lakewooder's to be a bit annoyed about the speech. A guy comes in and bashes them. Most wouldn't appreciate that. So I would expect a lot of these type of rebuttal letters.

Offline aygart

• View Profile