Author Topic: Rechnitz's Lakewood Speech  (Read 81032 times)

Offline yochiek93

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Interesting Articles...
« Reply #60 on: January 27, 2016, 11:10:16 AM »
Putting aside who's right and who's wrong for a minute, I think it's pretty normal for Lakewooder's to be a bit annoyed about the speech. A guy comes in and bashes them. Most wouldn't appreciate that. So I would expect a lot of these type of rebuttal letters.
+1

Offline churnbabychurn

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 27, 2016, 11:29:55 AM »
Putting aside who's right and who's wrong for a minute, I think it's pretty normal for Lakewooder's to be a bit annoyed about the speech. A guy comes in and bashes them. Most wouldn't appreciate that. So I would expect a lot of these type of rebuttal letters.
So he's wrong. How can it possibly be right to bash an entire community?

Offline yr

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 27, 2016, 11:37:01 AM »
So he's wrong. How can it possibly be right to bash an entire community?

Are you saying that he was wrong for giving  the speech or that the content was wrong?

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 27, 2016, 11:43:01 AM »
Are you saying that he was wrong for giving  the speech or that the content was wrong?
The content was mostly wrong - we can discuss and aurgue about it...

But it is definitely wrong to just get up their and attack an entire community even if he's was right about the contents, k"s if he was wrong.

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
Re: Re: Random Posts
« Reply #64 on: January 27, 2016, 11:43:53 AM »
I need to apologize to you for that personal attack.  A few days of schools being closed has worn down on my nerves.  I'm truly sorry.

So me understanding his post literally was twisting his words?  :o  Ok...
Nah, don't worry. I can take much worse then that

Offline yr

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 27, 2016, 11:52:09 AM »
Agreed that one shouldn't  normally go into a community event and bash a community your not part of, but he was invited to speak. I find it hard to believe that the organizers of the event had no clue what he was planning on saying.

Admittedly, that wouldn't explain everything though.

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #66 on: January 27, 2016, 11:53:41 AM »
Agreed that one shouldn't  normally go into a community event and bash a community your not part of, but he was invited to speak. I find it hard to believe that the organizers of the event had no clue what he was planning on saying.

Admittedly, that wouldn't explain everything though.
Stranger things have happened when that amount of money was on the line.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 27, 2016, 12:48:15 PM »
Stranger things have happened when that amount of money was on the line.
I honestly think that this was probably THE strangest thing that ever happened for that amount of money.

Offline Super Speed

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis First, National Executive Elite, Sixt Platinum.
« Reply #68 on: January 27, 2016, 01:11:02 PM »
I honestly think that this was probably THE strangest thing that ever happened for that amount of money.
What about R3 5 years ago at the tent event?

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 27, 2016, 02:11:56 PM »
What about R3 5 years ago at the tent event?
Don't get me started! That was the last tent event I attended. Feh!

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 27, 2016, 02:20:28 PM »
And it has been censored out.
 Hmm. Don't want to ruin our excellent relationship with 323

Offline MarkS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 27, 2016, 02:22:56 PM »
[http://www]

[http://www]  [http://www]   

Contact / Advertise | News Tips | Rentals

LETTER: In Response to the Confusion of Sunday Night’s Fiery Speech

Posted January 27th, 2016 @ 8:58 AM

[http://www]The recent speech given by the philanthropist Reb Shlomo Yehuda Rechnitz in Lakewood drew a great deal of attention. Some were confused by it, and some took it as an opportunity to bash a specific community and specific institutions within that community without regard for the facts of the matter or the many variables that are at play. As an individual with intimate experience within the system of the Lakewood mosdos hachinuch, and one who is in constant contact with many Roshei Mosdos and askanim who are involved in placing children into schools, I felt the need to address the points made by R’ Rechnitz in his speech, as well as the overall tone of the speech.

I readily concede that some of the points made by R’ Rechnitz regarding school placements in Lakewood have a basis in reality. Others could be called half-truths, while yet others were complete fabrications. R’ Rechnitz presented himself as an expert on the subject because he “receives the calls and emails” from parents trying to get their children into specific schools. As I will explain, this does not prove much. It is also worth mentioning that, as a well-known gevir from the West Coast, R’ Rechnitz seems to be receiving his inside information from certain individual Lakewood residents who have gained his confidence by telling him what he wishes to hear. Reb Shlomo Yehuda should realize that not all the information he is fed is the truth, and his reaction may be based on false impressions of the exact nature of the school system in Lakewood. This is especially pertinent when preparing to speak before thousands of viewers.

Advertise On TLS »

Below, I will attempt to address all of Reb Shlomo Yehuda’s points. However, before I do so, I feel that it is crucial to mention that even more troubling than the content of Reb Shlomo Yehuda’s speech was his tone. The venom he spewed towards the entire community of Lakewood, and towards those he referred to as “Bnei Torah” in particular, was extremely troubling. The fact that he had no problem attacking the entire mindset of the community in front of the Bais Medrash Govoha Roshei Yeshiva and many Rabbanim of the city, thus publicly shaming them, was even more disturbing. No one will dispute that there are issues of difficulty within the school acceptance process. However, I cannot imagine that the correct way of dealing with this real issue is by insulting an entire community through name-calling and the distortion of ma’amarei Chazal and corruption of the entire concept of “Ani Ma’amin”.

A small history lesson is necessary before I continue: A few years ago, there was a very serious shortage of space in Lakewood’s mosdos hachinuch for girls of elementary school age. As the school year approached, some parents still had not found a school with place for their daughters. The Mashgiach Rav Mattisyahu Salomon shlita and the Bais Medrash Govoha Roshei Yeshiva issued a directive at that time saying that no school may open until EVERY GIRL is placed in a school. The schools scrambled and did find a way to accommodate every girl in the already over-stuffed schools.

This episode clearly displays the concern the Torah leaders of Lakewood feel for every child in the community. The response from the community was that EVERY YEAR since then, dedicated men heed the call and open new mosdos to meet whatever need exists – be it boys’ or girls’ schools. These individuals are mostly regular people who have no previous experience in running mosdos. But they saw a need and stood up to fill it. They were supported in this endeavor by Reb Menashe Frankel and a group of local askanim who stood together with every school that opened up in Lakewood.

Since that time, the elementary placement crisis has eased in the sense that there are, in almost every case, options available for every child.

Very often, parents will prefer to send their child to an older, more established school, rather than a new school which hasn’t yet acquired as good of a “name”. The problem with this, of course, is that the older schools usually are almost completely full with siblings and staff children even before they open registration. As Lakewood grows exponentially, these older schools sometimes receive hundreds of applications in one year, when they only have ten or twenty slots available. It is ludicrous to expect older schools to be able to accept every child that applies – especially when newer schools do have slots available.

Parents definitely have the prerogative to try to use protektzia to get their child into the school of their choice. But if they ultimately cannot pull their way in, can it really be considered a tragedy if they have to send their child to a relatively new school?

The accomplishments of the city of Lakewood in regards to building mosdos hachinuch and educating the children of our community are astounding and unprecedented. There has never been a community in the history of this golus that has grown as quickly as Lakewood. The challenge of finding the place to educate a student body that grows by the hundreds every year is daunting – it has never before been faced by any Jewish community in the Diaspora. Yet the Lakewood community has responded in an amazing fashion. Somehow, new schools are founded every year by REGULAR PEOPLE, Bnei Torah who wanted to do something for the community and saw what was needed. In the early years of the young schools, when they have no kovod to offer mega-donors, they are supported almost entirely by the parents and friends in the Lakewood community, with the full backing and guidance of our Da’as Torah, the Roshei Yeshiva and Rabbanim of Lakewood.

The challenges the burgeoning community faces are unique, and Lakewood is dealing with these hurdles. Therefore, comparing Lakewood to other communities by saying, “This would never happen in Los Angeles,” is a ridiculous statement.

There are definitely certain serious problems in the registration and acceptance process, which I will address below. However, it is necessary to first accentuate the incredible positives of the Lakewood system.

Now, back to the speech.

R’ Rechnitz stated towards the beginning of the juice of his speech that when people heard he was going to speak in Lakewood, many individuals contacted him and asked him to speak to “this one” and “that one” to get their kid into school for next year. He cited this as proof that “regular” children cannot get into school. This statement, however, warrants scrutiny: Why are parents calling him to push their children into specific schools SEVEN MONTHS before the school year is set to begin?

The obvious answer is that these parents are looking to get into a specific school which they want their child to attend.

Reb Shlomo Yehuda righteously quoted the Gemara of Yehoshua ben Gamla as proof that schools must be established for every child. He even quoted Rishonim like the Rashba and Ritva to back him up. However, no Meforesh that I have seen says that this Gemara indicates that every child must be placed in the one school of his parents’ choice. Even the Rashba cited by Reb Shlomo Yehuda does not prove his point. Where does it say that parents must be able to get their child into Yeshivas So-and-So because “What would the neighbors in my complex think if he/she went to a new school!?”

Reb Shlomo Yehuda said that the Lakewood community had become “desensitized” and “numb” to the cries of school-less children. He also claimed Roshei Mosdos do not listen to what he called “Da’as Torah” because sometimes Roshei Yeshiva call them up and ask them to accept a child and they do not listen.

The first claim is patently false. Anyone who is familiar with the countless hours askanim spend trying to place each and every child in school would never insult them by saying they do not care about children. Anyone who personally knows Reb Menashe Frankel and his chaburah, knows how they mamash give up their normal lives purely for the purpose of providing more classes for Lakewood children. No one could ever accuse them of being “numb”.

His second claim is even more senseless. Any time a Rosh Yeshiva or Rov calls a Rosh Mossad, he is always spoken to and dealt with in an extremely respectful manner. However, this does not mean overcrowded schools will suddenly miraculously have space. Rabbanim call schools to try to help their mispalelim and talmidim. This does not mean they are issuing a “Da’as Torah psak” that the school must accept this child. Furthermore, I wonder if gevirim automatically give a donation to every Rosh Yeshiva in whatever amount the Rosh Yeshiva requests without taking their own considerations into the equation at all. And if they do not, does this mean they don’t believe in Da’as Torah?

The most blatant piece of misinformation in the speech was Reb Shlomo Yehuda’s assertion that this is “Lakewood machla” that you don’t find anywhere else. This is patently untrue. The problem of parents not being able to get their children into the school of their choice exists in every growing Jewish metropolis. In Brooklyn, it also exists. In Monsey it’s not walk in the park either. In Yerushalayim and Bnei Brak it is much, much worse than in Lakewood.

The reason this problem does not exist out-of-town is because all out-of-town communities only experience relatively minor growth. That is why new schools rarely open out-of-town, and that is why the established schools are rarely overcrowded and can accept everyone who wants to come.

Reb Shlomo Yehuda then proceeded by calling Bnei Torah “elitist”. It was unclear why he thought this. Is wishing to follow the ruling of Rav Mattisyahu shlita to keep children with internet access at home out of our schools elitist? Is the desire to keep high standards in our schools elitist?

If this is elitist in R’ Shlomo Yehuda’s mind, why does he limit his criticism only to Lakewood? Does he not know that “yeshivish” schools were founded in Cleveland, Chicago, Toronto, Montreal, and Baltimore, even though adequate schools already existed in those communities? Does the fact that those parents wanted a more “frum” environment for their children make them “elitist”? Do all of those people also “make frumkeit into an idol”?

Once again, I would agree that the current registration process is flawed. But there can be no greater krumkeit than an influential speaker with an agenda who gets up in front of the Torah leaders of Lakewood, thousands of yereim v’shleimim and talmidei chachomim sitting in front of him, and thousands of more choshuve Yidden listening live via streams and hookups and besmirches an entire Torah community with lies, half-truths and fabrications!

There are currently over 125 parallel classes for Primary in Lakewood schools. Schools are building state-of-the-art buildings to give our children the best possible chinuch experience every year. Parents are moser nefesh to pay tuition and building funds to allow the schools to flourish. It’s classic misinformation to state that Lakewood is “devoid of kedusha.”

Reb Shlomo Yehuda also erroneously stated that in Lakewood they do not love every Jew. “Where has the love gone?” he cries. “Why don’t we talk about love anymore?” If he would care to look at the Menahalim, Menahalos, Rebbeim, Moros and Mechanchim of Lakewood, at the chessed organizations and yeshivos and the thousands of Yidden doing whatever they can to help others, he would see where the love is. The fact that some schools are full, and there is a big problem with the registration process that unfortunately does hurt people, is not the result of a lack of love.

He attacks Lakewood for not embracing “individuality”. I invite him back to Lakewood where he can see the individual attention the hanhalos, the principals, the Rebbeim, and the Morahs of every school pay to the students and how each boy and girl is encouraged to excel in their own unique way. He will understand that is what “individuality” really is.

For me not to recognize the tzaar that numerous parents and children go through during the registration process would be unacceptable. Unfortunately, the process tends to drag on for weeks and parents are left hanging as they wait for an answer. This is especially true regarding the process of girls’ high school registration. No one should ever have to feel such tzar. There are many opinions how we can ease this problem. A system should be put in place in which parents receive an answer – either a yes or a no – within two weeks – or maybe no one should get a yes until EVERYONE gets a yes. And steps can be taken to encourage parents to consider sending to new schools.

There is much room for discussion on this issue, and that discussion should take place in the proper forums. Then it will lead to solutions. These discussions should take place between the Roshei Yeshiva and Rabbanim of Lakewood, askanim and Roshei Mosdos. But most importantly, there should be meetings and conversations until we get it right. Getting up and giving mussar in public is of no benefit to anyone.

Reb Shlomo Yehuda’s advice IS greatly appreciated. However, it must be properly researched and accurate. It also should be presented in the proper time and place, in a constructive, rather than destructive, manner.

And then we can truly say “Shehechiyanu V’kiyimanu Lazman Hazeh” on a new chapter of refining the registration process into one that runs more smoothly and is of great benefit to all involved.

All are asked to daven for Rav Chaim Yisroel ben Chana Tzirel l’refuah shelaimah b’soch she’ar cholei amo Yisroel.

By Reb Moshe D. Perlstein.

[TLS welcomes your letters by submitting them to newstips@thelakewoodscoop.com]

20 Comments

Nice of you to ignore the main item of his speech. What about the parents who call up the mosdos and demand they don’t allow a certain child into the school???

by Parent on 2016-01-27 at 9:13 am 

Reb moshe d. I could not agree with you more. I am hurt for the roshai yeshiva and rabonim.

by Cynic on 2016-01-27 at 9:14 am 

Bravo!! Now that is called speaking the truth.

by david on 2016-01-27 at 9:15 am 

Are you kidding me?? Do you think that he or others haven’t tried to fix this system for years already?? Nothing has happened and that is why it came to this public outcry! You are missing the main point of his speech and focusing on small points that he brought out to emphasize the main gist of his speech.

by Defeated on 2016-01-27 at 9:16 am 

WELL SAID!!!! I am sure majority of Lakewood would agree to this letter. Kol Hakavod!

by LKWD on 2016-01-27 at 9:18 am 

I am happy that all your kids got into any mosaad you chose.
By
קבלת התורה קבלו כל היהודים את התורה ואמרו נעשה ונשמע בלי שום יוצא מן הכלל.

by Gridlocksam on 2016-01-27 at 9:20 am 

I read this letter and I will say I agree with the fact that many people (I don’t want to say all because I don’t know for sure) get into a school, but it is not their choice school and they fight to get into the school of their choice. There may be some people who didn’t get into any school, but that may be because they didn’t apply to the less popular schools and only want to get into their first or second choice.

by LS on 2016-01-27 at 9:20 am 

Basically the thoughts of most people who watched or listened to the speech!! Kudos for openly writing this! I think the most important of all is the fact that the roshei yeshiva were sitting there,which was blatant chutzpa. No Money in the world should allow that!! And I say that that as someone who waited till the day before school to get in….as much as this problem exists,which it does to a unacceptable point,this was no way to adress it.

by Wow!! on 2016-01-27 at 9:22 am 

Reb Moshe, thanks for the great article.

I’m shocked and saddened that the Lakewood community was put in such bad light. Lakewood is truly a city of Torah and Chessed, I’m personally involved in many school placements and othe community issues, I’m amazed of the good deeds and Chessed that is being done in our community. Walk into shul and observe how people davin, learn and give tzakah. It’s a kvod shmayim.

by Dovid G. on 2016-01-27 at 9:23 am 

Everwood of the speech in my opinion was emes!! Sometimes the truth needs to be heard. If i would have been there I would have gotten up and gave R rechnitz a kiss!!

by Lol on 2016-01-27 at 9:27 am 

I agree with the speech and Lakewood have major problem with accepting children into their school. This have been an serious issue. Which caused many parents fustration and waste of their money. I find Lakewood school need change their system and get on their acts right way. The rabbi and vad and school should have a meeting and change the system. This is lack of respect for the parents who tiredly trying put their children in yeshivah or a girl school for their children education. As perchi Avos said they should pay a education did their child. What should we go crazy did if school or yeshivah said no. How do you think they feel ? Something is wrong with our child? I think the rabbi and community should speak up About this. I hope everyone agree

by Mordekhai Globman on 2016-01-27 at 9:27 am 

Thank you for printing Rabbi Perlstein’s letter. Rabbi Perlstein did a masterful job in setting the record straight. The choshiveh Lakewood community [with all its faults] did not deserve the terrible put-down which it received.
Dovid

by Dovid Rockove on 2016-01-27 at 9:30 am 

Kol hakovod well said

by yech rok on 2016-01-27 at 9:34 am 

Rabbi Perstein, many of your points are correct. But why is it that kids are only placed at the end of the summer. Can you tell us as an administrator why children can’t all be placed by Pesach. What’s this game of pushing the parents off and off and off causing untold Tzar to them?

by IJN on 2016-01-27 at 9:45 am 

#3 I agree. ANY community [with ALL its faults!] does not deserve this terrible put-down! Right or wrong, the way the bashing has gone out of control is really frightening! I don’t think SYR would have done this had he realized the wide spread loshen hara and sinas yisroel this is causing. Again weather right or wrong! Hashem Yerachem!

by myfaultagain on 2016-01-27 at 9:48 am 

Thank you Rabbi Perlstein for writing this!!
We live in a town of amazing chessed and askanus. There are so many individuals that dedicate their days and nights helping all those that require assistance.
I felt very upset when I came out in The hazardous weather conditions to pay my respects to rabbi Kanarak and to the administrations of the mosdis he runs, only to find out that I was exploited to listen to one mans rant against those we came to respect.
All of us that came that night and all those who tirelessly work for the good of all of lakewoods children deserve an apology.

No dystem can ever be perfect, and the commenters who applaud that misguided speech are for the most part only those who haven’t followed those who have tried to help them , but our askonim are doing the best they can and deserve our standing up for them here.

by Wow on 2016-01-27 at 9:50 am 

I believe this letter is pure loshen hara, no matter whos right or wrong in this topic, this is pure loshen hara, which the Chofetz Chaim speaks about and the many issurim involved, and who’s talking about the many people that are reading this letter and forwarding to other, and making the whole community say loads of loshen hara without limits, this is machshel es harabim, I hope the lakewoodscoop, sees this comment and quickly removes this letter and stops this conversation altogether.

by Moiche on 2016-01-27 at 9:50 am 

Being that there seems to be a strong opposition to hearing the truth, maybe the community is just not ready for some real change. It is like America in the early 1900 when R yaakov Yosef came to America to make change, and it simply did not work since the time was not right. I hope I am wrong and the timing is now..just a thought..

by Maybe on 2016-01-27 at 9:50 am 

Kudos to Rabbi Perlstein for standing up and saying what has to be said!!! You’re someone who is doing everything he can to alleviate the issue and I commend you for not being scared to voice the feelings of the silent majority.

by Anon on 2016-01-27 at 9:51 am 

Thank you Harav Perlstein. Bemakom shein ish.
You have heard the bizayon of talmidei chachamim and have chosen not to remain silent.

Bizayon does not need to mean spewing venom.
Bizayon can also mean “mai ahani leh rabanan” chalila.

by Youngerman on 2016-01-27 at 9:54 am 

Leave a Reply

Name (required)

Email (will not be published) (required)

Website

Answer the question below to prove you\'re human *
4 +  = ten

Notify me of follow-up comments by email.

Notify me of new posts by email.

« | Older Article »

|  
Home Page | Log in | Register

Exit Mobile Version

Copyright 2016; All rights reserved. 
Website by Duvys media

ShareThis Copy and Paste

- See more at: http://www.thelakewoodscoop.com/news/2016/01/letter-in-response-to-the-confusion-of-sunday-nights-fiery-speech.html#sthash.pI1GoL0q.dpuf

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 27, 2016, 02:29:49 PM »
Ddf not worried about their relationship, apparently

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 27, 2016, 02:46:06 PM »
Ddf not worried about their relationship, apparently
Ddf is funded by the little peeps

Offline David Smith

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 27, 2016, 02:51:21 PM »

Ddf is funded by much bigger companies than TwinMed
FTFY
Who do you think you are fooling? You think you are going to pull a quick one on your Creator? Good luck with that.
JTZ

Offline luckyluck

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 27, 2016, 03:08:07 PM »
The content was mostly wrong - we can discuss and aurgue about it...

But it is definitely wrong to just get up their and attack an entire community even if he's was right about the contents, k"s if he was wrong.

People can turn it any way they want, but some are avoiding the real issues. Who cares about parents with attitude who request a specific school? I know personally several families whose children were not accepted in ANY school. They would have been happy to send them anywhere in Lakewood. Begging every Menahel and Askan did not lead anywhere. Instead of that, they have been stuck with kids at home for several months. Some of them had no other choice to send them everyday to schools out of Lakewood. Can you just imagine the feeling of leaving Lakewood because Lakewood did not want them?

Offline MarkS

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 27, 2016, 03:10:51 PM »
People can turn it any way they want, but some are avoiding the real issues. Who cares about parents with attitude who request a specific school? I know personally several families whose children were not accepted in ANY school. They would have been happy to send them anywhere in Lakewood. Begging every Menahel and Askan did not lead anywhere. Instead of that, they have been stuck with kids at home for several months. Some of them had no other choice to send them everyday to schools out of Lakewood. Can you just imagine the feeling of leaving Lakewood because Lakewood did not want them?
Did they really not get accepted into ANY school? Or just not into the ones that they wanted.

Offline mendy from lakewood

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 26
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Premier 1K, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, National EE, Hertz Presidential.
« Reply #79 on: January 27, 2016, 03:19:24 PM »
i think this rechnitz speech deserves its own thread!
"Respect is earned, Honesty is appreciated, Trust is gained, Loyalty is returned"