Author Topic: Rechnitz's Lakewood Speech  (Read 80186 times)

Offline meme

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Rechnitz's Lakewood Speech
« Reply #120 on: January 27, 2016, 09:36:49 PM »

Offline Aaaron

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 27, 2016, 09:39:32 PM »
I think every poster in this thread should need to have their location publicized.

Are there any posters here from Lakewood that feel this is a real issue and/or was addressed properly?

Are there any posters not from Lakewood that feel this is not a real issue and/or it was not addressed properly?

Offline Aaaron

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 27, 2016, 09:47:02 PM »
On a lighter note, is this legit or a photoshop?

Offline luckyluck

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 27, 2016, 09:55:22 PM »
This story makes no sense, there is currently room in the girls elementary schools. There must be a very good reason they aren;t in school. Holding out for the "wrong" one perhaps?
(if they are HS age, then either they need to go to the new one or shouldn;t have moved here... tough to say, but unfortunately true )

So you're saying the problem is not the room. Just discrimination. Because I know them and there is no other "very good reason".

Offline David Smith

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 27, 2016, 09:57:49 PM »
On a lighter note, is this legit or a photoshop?

Photoshop
Who do you think you are fooling? You think you are going to pull a quick one on your Creator? Good luck with that.
JTZ

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 27, 2016, 10:06:32 PM »
I think every poster in this thread should need to have their location publicized.

Are there any posters here from Lakewood that feel this is a real issue and/or was addressed properly?

Are there any posters not from Lakewood that feel this is not a real issue and/or it was not addressed properly?
There is no debate about the fact that getting into schools in Lakewood is a difficult and frustrating process.

To be clear, this effects virtually every type of family. Ranging from the ultra yeshivish to the polar opposite.
I myself didn't get one of my kids into my "first choice" school... - its not because I was being judged, I simply had less pull then the other guy.

For girls elementary schools though there is no problem though. This year there were more slots available than children. This very week there are adds still in the papers recruiting kids to one of the newer schools.

The "problem is almost solved. Just need a few more girls high schools and for parents to be less picky.

Offline meme

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 27, 2016, 10:36:11 PM »
Basically, it can be compared to the Syrian refugees..

The town was built upon the tenets of kollel life and standards, nobody would argue that that is a different  lifestyle and value system compared to the avg working family in brklyn, and while there is nothing wrong with the male of the household trying to provide for his family, the fact is that because the current yeshivishe mainstream trend is to learn for a while, the young man who 'goes out to work' is automatically seen as a higher risk to have adopted different priorities and value systems- not because there is anything wrong for being responsible and providing for your family, but because we simply don't know why he deviated from the system.  Was he diagnosed with 'mild add' (lol)? Is he just the type to want to be נהנה מיגיע כפיו? He has no support and just can't make ends meet?Just realized that long term learning not for him? Or does he disagree with the fundamentals of a Ben Torahs life, and wants to pursue a totally different lifestyle?

Additionally, even when he truly would like to stick to a Ben Torahs lifestyle; in todays working environment coupled with the technology challenges that are much harder avoided when you are out in the world, it's very difficult to determine which families have stuck to the core yeshiva values that is the basic DNA of Lakewood.

Yes, it's true we all grew up in 'mixed' schools with kids from every type of background, but it was very different then as explained above. The working father wasn't a 'chiddush', the learning people were far and few in between. And the Internet didn't exist or wasn't as rampant, so it was much easier for the working man to shelter his family from all the perils of the world.

So basically there is no way to 'vet' the families in question, so the yeshivishe schools (and parents) try to play it safe. That's not to say they have abandoned everyone else on the streets- they have created 'safe haven' schools that have a more open door policy and cater to a variety of lifestyles, but understandably no one wants to go there...

And since everybody wants to do best for their precious children, they hold tight and don't give up until the last min, and suddenly there are a lot of kids without schools...

Just one person's perspective..

Offline ya

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 27, 2016, 10:36:16 PM »
And boys elementary?

Offline ya

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 27, 2016, 10:42:27 PM »

Offline ya

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 27, 2016, 10:45:29 PM »
Basically, it can be compared to the Syrian refugees..

The town was built upon the tenets of kollel life and standards, nobody would argue that that is a different  lifestyle and value system compared to the avg working family in brklyn, and while there is nothing wrong with the male of the household trying to provide for his family, the fact is that because the current yeshivishe mainstream trend is to learn for a while, the young man who 'goes out to work' is automatically seen as a higher risk to have adopted different priorities and value systems- not because there is anything wrong for being responsible and providing for your family, but because we simply don't know why he deviated from the system.  Was he diagnosed with 'mild add' (lol)? Is he just the type to want to be נהנה מיגיע כפיו? He has no support and just can't make ends meet?Just realized that long term learning not for him? Or does he disagree with the fundamentals of a Ben Torahs life, and wants to pursue a totally different lifestyle?

Additionally, even when he truly would like to stick to a Ben Torahs lifestyle; in todays working environment coupled with the technology challenges that are much harder avoided when you are out in the world, it's very difficult to determine which families have stuck to the core yeshiva values that is the basic DNA of Lakewood.

Yes, it's true we all grew up in 'mixed' schools with kids from every type of background, but it was very different then as explained above. The working father wasn't a 'chiddush', the learning people were far and few in between. And the Internet didn't exist or wasn't as rampant, so it was much easier for the working man to shelter his family from all the perils of the world.

So basically there is no way to 'vet' the families in question, so the yeshivishe schools (and parents) try to play it safe. That's not to say they have abandoned everyone else on the streets- they have created 'safe haven' schools that have a more open door policy and cater to a variety of lifestyles, but understandably no one wants to go there...

And since everybody wants to do best for their precious children, they hold tight and don't give up until the last min, and suddenly there are a lot of kids without schools...

Just one person's perspective..
What should someone with 12kids do?  If he can't get support 15-20 years after his wedding? Live on his wife's 45k yr salary?

Offline meme

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 27, 2016, 10:47:48 PM »

What should someone with 12kids do?  If he can't get support 15-20 years after his wedding? Live on his wife's 45k yr salary?
Read the post, I said "young" man for a reason. And even then there are many valid reasons as I said in post, just saying that there are questions and risks and no way to vet

Offline ya

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 27, 2016, 10:51:12 PM »
Read the post, I said "young" man for a reason. And even then there are many valid reasons as I said in post, just saying that there are questions and risks and no way to vet
young doesn't work. What happens when the kid hits 6th grade. He can have 8-9 siblings already and I don't think the issue in lkwd is working vs learning. Many ppl that are learning are having a hard time.

Offline David Smith

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 27, 2016, 10:52:08 PM »
-1. This isn't Eretz Yisroel. There are radically different dynamics. I don't think working vs learning is the main issue at play here.
Who do you think you are fooling? You think you are going to pull a quick one on your Creator? Good luck with that.
JTZ

Offline yochiek93

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 27, 2016, 10:54:34 PM »
Can someone explain the uproar agains R syr speech to me
1: if its a problem that the schools are overstuffed $$$$ is the answer (which he is willing to give)
2: if its that people should go to newer schools that's an ego issue might not be the schools ego but nevertheless an ego problem which needs fixing (I'm .... I should get in .....)#elitist
3: if what he said is true stop putting your head in the sand and fix the problems

Offline ya

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 27, 2016, 10:55:44 PM »
-1. This isn't Eretz Yisroel. There are radically different dynamics. I don't think working vs learning is the main issue at play here.

the issue at play here is making it hard to get in so more ppl want to get in = having the "best" school in town = big ego/power

Offline meme

• View Profile
« Reply #135 on: January 27, 2016, 11:03:12 PM »

young doesn't work. What happens when the kid hits 6th grade. He can have 8-9 siblings already and I don't think the issue in lkwd is working vs learning. Many ppl that are learning are having a hard time.
I agree it's not the only issue, but that's how Rechnitz played it out basically, he said so pretty clearly. I'm just explaining the problem that he specifically identified, though it's definitely not the only issue

Offline ya

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 27, 2016, 11:05:15 PM »
I agree it's not the only issue, but that's how Rechnitz played it out basically, he said so pretty clearly. I'm just explaining the problem that he specifically identified, though it's definitely not the only issue
He clearly said its not a working vs learning issue

Offline meme

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 27, 2016, 11:10:11 PM »

He clearly said its not a working vs learning issue
You must listen again. He said he's not getting involved in that debate if u should work or learn, but on that note he was suggesting that ppl that decide to learn developed an elitist attitude to working folks, hence the school problem. Which again as everyone here noted, the problem is for learning ppl too who have no clout, which proves again that SYR was simply misinformed  at best

Offline ya

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 27, 2016, 11:11:10 PM »
Anywhere. Most of these families came from out of Lakewood and anyways had no clue about what school would be better than the other.
Right now a family i know has one boy and two girls at home because no one will take them.
I witness everyday how "minorities" are treated as if they don't exist.
But if the real issue is space. Then why should a lkwd school take them. make sure your kid Is in school before you move.

Offline luckyluck

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 27, 2016, 11:14:01 PM »
But if the real issue is space. Then why should a lkwd school take them. make sure your kid Is in school before you move.

People can have various important reasons to move. Only in Lakewood you do need to "make sure your kid is in school before you move".
And as other pointed out, there is no space issue in elementary.