Author Topic: Rechnitz's Lakewood Speech  (Read 81051 times)

Offline meme

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Rechnitz's Lakewood Speech
« Reply #340 on: January 28, 2016, 04:18:01 PM »

If ppl lifes get ruined by this then it needs to change. You cannt just say human psychology and call it a day.
Ppl have to change their own personal psychology, not get caught up in the rat race tide, and make a mature decision which schools are truly suitable for their   child. There will always be the few hottest schools that are the in place to go, just a fact of life. Let's not try communism here

Offline meme

• View Profile
« Reply #341 on: January 28, 2016, 04:19:40 PM »

how hard is it to get into Kanarek places? Does he play these games?
His schools are prime example of all this. That's the biggest joke of this whole thing

Offline snagger

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: January 28, 2016, 04:30:05 PM »
What i find funny is the "hard to get into", if 2 schools have 100 slots and they both take 100 kids, what makes it "harder" to get in to one over the other? So the only thing i could think of is that one turns down more than the other.. In other words they have more applicants.. So i guess the odds are worse.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 04:38:15 PM by snagger »

Offline ya

• View Profile
« Reply #343 on: January 28, 2016, 04:40:00 PM »
Ppl have to change their own personal psychology, not get caught up in the rat race tide, and make a mature decision which schools are truly suitable for their   child. There will always be the few hottest schools that are the in place to go, just a fact of life. Let's not try communism here
Wrong - If most of the good kids are elitist then all you will have left are the ok  kids. So even if the ok kids make the mature choice all that will be in his class are some ok kids but mostly the leftovers.

Offline ya

• View Profile
« Reply #344 on: January 28, 2016, 04:41:18 PM »
What i find funny is the "hard to get into", if 2 schools have 100 slots and they both take 100 kids, what makes it "harder" to get in to one over the other? So the only thing i could think of is that one turns down more than the other.. In other words they have more applicants.. So i guess the odds are worse.
No - some schools play games and tell almost everyone no. Then you need to find pull and beg them to take and then they said yes. Meanwhile they wanted you the whole time.

Offline snagger

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: January 28, 2016, 04:49:03 PM »
No - some schools play games and tell almost everyone no. Then you need to find pull and beg them to take and then they said yes. Meanwhile they wanted you the whole time.
aha. Like meme's school that he started a few post back? He says he's already full 😀

Offline ya

• View Profile
« Reply #346 on: January 28, 2016, 04:49:51 PM »
aha. Like meme's school that he started a few post back? He says he's already full 😀
only difference this isnt a joke.

Offline David Smith

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: January 28, 2016, 04:52:59 PM »

Interesting middle of the road hashkafah for cherry.. Did you hear that from Daas Torah?

That sounds like a very honest approach with zero negios. Dont you think? What would they hold in Brisk?

We pasken like Rav Shach, not Brisk. Have you noticed that the majority of mosdos in E'Y take money from the Medinah?
Who do you think you are fooling? You think you are going to pull a quick one on your Creator? Good luck with that.
JTZ

Offline David Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #348 on: January 28, 2016, 04:55:39 PM »
BTW, my comment to the TLS was censored out, as I'm sure were many others. (Although TBH, I wouldn't have written it the way I did had I thought it would be published.) Talk about unbalanced reporting.
Who do you think you are fooling? You think you are going to pull a quick one on your Creator? Good luck with that.
JTZ

Offline Sport

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: January 28, 2016, 05:12:47 PM »
Shockingly though, there are a few Lakewood mosdos who do not have a vaad hachinuch or an official rov or rosh yeshiva that they seek guidance by.

When I interviewed Roshei mosdos before sending my kids, first question I asked was who do you ask when you have a sheila. - if the guy punted on this question he lost the deal.
That's a great question to ask, can't believe I didn't think to ask that on my daughter's interview.

Offline Shkop

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: January 28, 2016, 05:19:27 PM »

We pasken like Rav Shach, not Brisk. Have you noticed that the majority of mosdos in E'Y take money from the Medinah?

They do. But if a government official walked into Ponoviz and railed against Torah and then handed them a million bucks, would they be right in taking the money? That is a different story because now we are dealing with a chillul Hashem, not a general policy. I mentioned brisk because they DON'T take. The argument made was that if you don't agree to the giver's opinions, its still fine to take money no matter the circumstance, since you anyway don't agree with him. So I asked, if so, why wont brisk etc take?

I am not saying that there was anything wrong with what R' Rechnitz said. I am not one to decide. I am just saying that if you in fact hold that it was a very bad move than you should not take the money.
A democracy is a form of government, not an intrinsic truth

Offline David Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #351 on: January 28, 2016, 05:22:36 PM »
They do. But if a government official walked into Ponoviz and railed against Torah and then handed them a million bucks, would they be right in taking the money? That is a different story because now we are dealing with a chillul Hashem, not a general policy. I mentioned brisk because they DON'T take. The argument made was that if you don't agree to the giver's opinions, its still fine to take money no matter the circumstance, since you anyway don't agree with him. So I asked, if so, why wont brisk etc take?

I am not saying that there was anything wrong with what R' Rechnitz said. I am not one to decide. I am just saying that if you in fact hold that it was a very bad move than you should not take the money.
Have you noticed that for the the past 68 years, and particularly the past 5, the Israeli government has been railing against the Torah, yeshivos, its lomdim, it's supporters, and it's adherents? Yet we continue to take.
JTZ

Offline Shkop

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: January 28, 2016, 05:40:17 PM »
Have you noticed that for the the past 68 years, and particularly the past 5, the Israeli government has been railing against the Torah, yeshivos, its lomdim, it's supporters, and it's adherents? Yet we continue to take.
I hear, although in this case it was pointed, and there it is more of a general attitude which always existed, sometimes more open and sometimes less so. It's not the same as if someone walked into your house and yelled at you to your face and then said here is a check. (again, I am talking according to those who claim that it was a bad thing to do). 

Also, in Israel people rely on that money to stay alive. I wouldn't be as quick to condemn. Here it was a donation. Very much appreciated. But if it was a donation from (or due to) what he said...and you who is accepting the gift believe that it was a chillul Hashem, then maybe give it back. (Or better yet, ask daas torah. Not daas blogger like me).
A democracy is a form of government, not an intrinsic truth

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #353 on: January 28, 2016, 05:49:14 PM »
I still can't get the line of reasoning why they cannot accept the money. SO what if he said something against bnei torah? That does not mean his money is treif it just means that it may not be the best idea to have him preach.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline ya

• View Profile
« Reply #354 on: January 28, 2016, 06:46:36 PM »

So are you saying since they do take his money he was correct in saying what he said?

Offline yos9694

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: January 28, 2016, 07:16:37 PM »
The backpeddling makes him look weak. If you believe in something, don't back down because people don't like your message. His main points hit home, even though critics were able to find a lot of points to disagree with. After all the spin doctors stop yammering, it's plain as day that he didn't make up the issue.

The reactjon he got should have proved to him that he hit on an important issue and that people are passionate about it. He literally caved in to the exact pressure he was lambasting! Instead of copping out he should have used that passion to make a movement and make things better.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: January 28, 2016, 07:23:38 PM »
His point won't be hurt in the slightest by an apology.

There is nothing as freeing as saying I was wrong, I'm sorry.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #357 on: January 28, 2016, 07:26:11 PM »
The backpeddling makes him look weak. If you believe in something, don't back down because people don't like your message. His main points hit home, even though critics were able to find a lot of points to disagree with. After all the spin doctors stop yammering, it's plain as day that he didn't make up the issue.

The reactjon he got should have proved to him that he hit on an important issue and that people are passionate about it. He literally caved in to the exact pressure he was lambasting! Instead of copping out he should have used that passion to make a movement and make things better.
If you look at what he wrote you will see that he did not backpedal much at all. He only wrote that his presentation was wrong. He sees that there was to much emotional involvement which led him to be brash.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline meme

• View Profile
« Reply #358 on: January 28, 2016, 07:56:44 PM »
BDE, Harav Belsky was just niftar.

He reportedly was niftar at around 7:30, and 20 min later wiki page on him was already updated to deceased Jan 28 2016!
What a world we live in!

Offline Tovia

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: January 28, 2016, 09:25:40 PM »
To get the most timely news follow Wikipedia.
My signature is worth more than that.