Author Topic: Comments That Leave Me Speechless...  (Read 670165 times)

Offline judahk88

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Comments That Leave Me Speechless...
« Reply #580 on: February 13, 2013, 11:25:09 AM »
Kaiser, egg, deli, all sorts of rolls.
hahaha thats funny!

Offline elizmm

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • 404 - Page not found
Re: Comments That Leave Me Speechless...
« Reply #581 on: February 15, 2013, 12:16:48 AM »
Kaiser, egg, deli, all sorts of rolls.
"Bite not the tongue that licks you" (Wise Old Adage - Author Unknown)

To put it bluntly; It is ok to post a comment that leaves you speechless, but to poke fun at one of your readers/customers? That leaves ME speechless.

The hand that feeds shalt not be bitten, (the tongue that licks shalt not be bitten)..
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 12:45:34 AM by elizmm »
It is all from Hashem and he will continue to give!

Offline Drago

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Comments That Leave Me Speechless...
« Reply #582 on: February 15, 2013, 03:34:01 AM »
do you know where the door is on this website...u can find urself on the otherside of it if u dont like the response.... u forgot?! YOU want to be here...
whoa, tough response

Offline rots5

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
    • Custom Cakes for Every Occassion
« Reply #583 on: February 15, 2013, 03:50:13 AM »
whoa, tough response
hey man! we should meet up :-)  and i just think ppl who are immature and are giving musser gotta find a new place to give it....this aint the place for musser,
but i will lessen my response
If you have any questions please search and then ask. PM me for detailed help.

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: February 15, 2013, 03:58:43 AM »
hey man! we should meet up :-)  and i just think ppl who are immature and are giving musser gotta find a new place to give it....this aint the place for musser,
but i will lessen my response

I wouldn't have said it, but its still a good response.
Visibly Jewish

Offline Moishebatchy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Arzei Makolet Platinum, Yossi's Makolet Silver, Yesh! Gold, Rav Kav Dirt
« Reply #585 on: February 15, 2013, 04:52:29 AM »
To put it bluntly; It is ok to post a comment that leaves you speechless, but to poke fun at one of your readers/customers? That leaves ME speechless.

Patronizing someone's business is still no excuse for blatant igronace of the basics of the English language. The commentator had it coming.

Offline rots5

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
    • Custom Cakes for Every Occassion
« Reply #586 on: February 15, 2013, 05:20:52 AM »

Patronizing someone's business is still no excuse for blatant igronace of the basics of the English language. The commentator had it coming.
thank you... well said..
If you have any questions please search and then ask. PM me for detailed help.

Offline sguitarist18

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: February 15, 2013, 08:00:05 AM »
I'm not certain I agree. OK, well, I do agree that people should know how to speak English, and write it - and then use that knowledge even when on a forum. However, their possible lack of ability to do so shouldn't necessarily open them up to being mocked.

I think this thread usually focuses on comments of a different sort, which are truly ridiculous in one way or another.

Offline elizmm

• View Profile
    • 404 - Page not found
« Reply #588 on: February 15, 2013, 08:44:34 AM »

"Had it coming"? You serious? This deal blog's main demographic is frum (male - young) Jews, which include many who have never been taught English in school. they are all very proud of the deals they find on dans deals and they all sign up for credit cards using the links in the posts.

The comment that we are discussing here - the one where dan poked fun at the comments little spelling mistake - he was asking about which cards to signup for! (I will not post here what the commission rates are on the cc signups, but I will tell you that they are very decent. ) This is a potential customer who can bring in a few hundred dollars to the site owner just by signing up for a few credit cards. How would this potential customer feel if "the great dan" was making fun of him behind closed doors?

dan can make fun of whomever he wants, and so can I, but not in a public place where said potential customer has access to reading how he was ridiculed by the site owner.

This is not musar, this is customer service 101.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 08:50:12 AM by elizmm »

Offline myb821

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: February 15, 2013, 09:03:59 AM »
"Had it coming"? You serious? This deal blog's main demographic is frum (male - young) Jews, which include many who have never been taught English in school. they are all very proud of the deals they find on dans deals and they all sign up for credit cards using the links in the posts.

The comment that we are discussing here - the one where dan poked fun at the comments little spelling mistake - he was asking about which cards to signup for! (I will not post here what the commission rates are on the cc signups, but I will tell you that they are very decent. ) This is a potential customer who can bring in a few hundred dollars to the site owner just by signing up for a few credit cards. How would this potential customer feel if "the great dan" was making fun of him behind closed doors?

dan can make fun of whomever he wants, and so can I, but not in a public place where said potential customer has access to reading how he was ridiculed by the site owner.

chill out it was a freaking joke

Offline elizmm

• View Profile
    • 404 - Page not found
« Reply #590 on: February 15, 2013, 09:08:41 AM »
chill out it was a freaking joke
I fail to see how mosihybaitchy was joking. Unless you are referring to dans "joke" if so please see my above comments. Bite not the hand that feeds you.

Offline Moishebatchy

• View Profile
  • Programs: Arzei Makolet Platinum, Yossi's Makolet Silver, Yesh! Gold, Rav Kav Dirt
« Reply #591 on: February 15, 2013, 09:27:44 AM »

Did you even bother reading the comment?! Apparently not. I will record it here for posterity:

Quote from: harold
i just got a new gold amex card from canada could you please DAN tell me in which program i shall in roll

For starters, nowhere is he looking to give Dan any business. He already has a card, and not necessarily from one of Dan's links, either. He was not, as you say, "asking about which cards to signup for".

Second of all, even if he had gotten the word "enroll" right (not to mention the utter lack of anything resembling proper grammar, or even punctuation), it's still an idiotic comment. Which "program"?! If I were Dan, I would have answered something like "Try WIC. Or HUD. Or maybe Section 8 is taking applications..."

Now, I understand that some newbies may not know how to express things properly, or use the wrong technical term... but this is one of those comments that - even after sitting and scratching my head for a while - I still can't decipher what the heck he wants. What "programs" is he choosing from? FF programs? Card benefit programs (GE, car rental insurance, etc.)? Something else?

And for that... that comment belongs in this thread.

Now, as for the response it got... anybody who has such a thin skin that he can't take a joke about different kinds of rolls, shouldn't be in this game. He'll never survive his first call with recon.

Oh, and one final point... it wasn't just "behind closed doors". Dan also posted that line about the rolls in the comments on that post in response to harold.

Offline Achas Veachas

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #592 on: February 15, 2013, 09:33:30 AM »
...not to mention that the comment came in a totally unrelated post...

Offline elizmm

• View Profile
    • 404 - Page not found
« Reply #593 on: February 15, 2013, 11:13:28 AM »
Did you even bother reading the comment?! Apparently not. I will record it here for posterity:

For starters, nowhere is he looking to give Dan any business. He already has a card, and not necessarily from one of Dan's links, either. He was not, as you say, "asking about which cards to signup for".

Second of all, even if he had gotten the word "enroll" right (not to mention the utter lack of anything resembling proper grammar, or even punctuation), it's still an idiotic comment. Which "program"?! If I were Dan, I would have answered something like "Try WIC. Or HUD. Or maybe Section 8 is taking applications..."

Now, I understand that some newbies may not know how to express things properly, or use the wrong technical term... but this is one of those comments that - even after sitting and scratching my head for a while - I still can't decipher what the heck he wants. What "programs" is he choosing from? FF programs? Card benefit programs (GE, car rental insurance, etc.)? Something else?

And for that... that comment belongs in this thread.

Now, as for the response it got... anybody who has such a thin skin that he can't take a joke about different kinds of rolls, shouldn't be in this game. He'll never survive his first call with recon.

Oh, and one final point... it wasn't just "behind closed doors". Dan also posted that line about the rolls in the comments on that post in response to harold.

Again, you can make fun of whomever you wish, dan on the other hand would benefit from not ridiculing his readers. Chances are that he signed up for cards thru DD or purchases one of the many deals posted with the CJ and Sunspotweb etc. links.

A nicer reply to harold's comment would be along the lines of: "Please be more specific regarding what programs you are referring to"

If you read harold's comment while picturing him as a willi chussid you will find that his comment can make sense in his brain ("please dan tell me")

P.S. This whole thread always bothered me mainly because it was started by dan, it always felt wrong to me. I have nothing against Dan, it just always did not feel like a good customer relations method.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 11:17:38 AM by elizmm »

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #594 on: February 15, 2013, 11:30:45 AM »
With all due respect, do you have any idea how frustrating it is to help people who don't (know how/want to) help themselves on a daily basis?

It gets exceedingly tedious extremely quickly.

Compound that with the fact that the people constantly seeking help without any effort on their part do not, for the most part, even voice their question in a manner which a) makes sense and b) is riddled with typos and lacks any semblance of grammar, and the frustration meter skyrockets even further.

So, yeah, you may personally expect an individual running a blog of this type to have the patience of a saint, and respond to every inquiry with only the utmost sincerity, but the fact remains that that is both an unsustainable and impractical expectation. Perhaps when you open your blog, you can set and meet such an expectation for yourself.

Yes, don't bite the hand that feeds you, but you'd be hard-pressed to make a persuasive argument that that comment was made vindictively as opposed to in jest--something the receiver may have very well understood (if he ever comes back to that post, or even DD/DDF, which is a big question in and of itself).
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Moishebatchy

• View Profile
« Reply #595 on: February 16, 2013, 11:22:19 AM »
Thank you AJK - I could not have said it better myself.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #596 on: February 16, 2013, 12:24:18 PM »
This whole thread always bothered me mainly because it was started by dan,
And yet you cared enough to type up 5 paragraphs just to get mentioned? You should go into politics- you flip flop and have advice about things that you think you know better. http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=6071.msg282403#msg282403

That said it was a freaking joke. DD isn't a paid service and you get what there is. If that is Dan's sense of humor and you don't like it then don't go to his site. If I make a silly mistake and someone points it out I would correct it and laugh. Wtvr this is being taken way out of proportion.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline elizmm

• View Profile
    • 404 - Page not found
« Reply #597 on: February 16, 2013, 06:53:21 PM »
And yet you cared enough to type up 5 paragraphs just to get mentioned? You should go into politics- you flip flop and have advice about things that you think you know better. http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=6071.msg282403#msg282403

That said it was a freaking joke. DD isn't a paid service and you get what there is. If that is Dan's sense of humor and you don't like it then don't go to his site. If I make a silly mistake and someone points it out I would correct it and laugh. Wtvr this is being taken way out of proportion.
just fyi that was not a real comment i was  trying to show how many of the "speechless" comments are actually ddf'rs just messing around, yet others take them all seriously and post in this thread (http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=6071.msg282391#msg282391) .. I like the brotherly love of you sticking up for your bro, seriously it is very nice of you.

Some (many?) here on ddf live in this little "dan" bubble and fail to see things how others see this blog from outside this bubble.. nuff said.

Offline Moishebatchy

• View Profile
« Reply #598 on: February 16, 2013, 07:09:07 PM »
just fyi that was not a real comment i was  trying to show how many of the "speechless" comments are actually ddf'rs just messing around, yet some other take them all seriously.. I like the brotherly love of you sticking up for your bro, seriously it is very nice of you.

Some (many?) here on ddf live in this little "dan" bubble and fail to see things how others see this blog from outside this bubble.. nuff said.

Au contraire. Those who know me in real life can testify that I'm not a mean guy by nature. But back in the day, when I was known in yeshiva as the king of technology, people asked me the dumbest, most irrelevant questions, and would get impatient with me if I didn't understand their nonsense. It took quite a toll on me, until eventually, I started answering certain questions just like Dan did. For example, one guy came to me and asked "can you break Windows XP?" Without missing a beat, I answered "Sure. With a baseball bat, I can break almost any window you want."

My point is, I know what Dan is going through, because I have been in a similar situation. I can empathize with what it means to have nudniks hammering away at you with, well, "comments that leave you speechless". And thus I think it's perfectly understandable for Dan to handle it the way he's been handling it. In fact, I commend him for showing far more restraint than I (and I'm sure many others) would have shown.

Offline elizmm

• View Profile
    • 404 - Page not found
« Reply #599 on: February 16, 2013, 08:04:51 PM »
Au contraire. Those who know me in real life can testify that I'm not a mean guy by nature. But back in the day, when I was known in yeshiva as the king of technology, people asked me the dumbest, most irrelevant questions, and would get impatient with me if I didn't understand their nonsense. It took quite a toll on me, until eventually, I started answering certain questions just like Dan did. For example, one guy came to me and asked "can you break Windows XP?" Without missing a beat, I answered "Sure. With a baseball bat, I can break almost any window you want."

My point is, I know what Dan is going through, because I have been in a similar situation. I can empathize with what it means to have nudniks hammering away at you with, well, "comments that leave you speechless". And thus I think it's perfectly understandable for Dan to handle it the way he's been handling it. In fact, I commend him for showing far more restraint than I (and I'm sure many others) would have shown.
Again, dan is entitled to vent to whoever he wants and I am sure he gets hounded and nudged by many people. That said it would be best for his sake if he did not vent in a public place.

Also your computer questions analogy is not relevant being that you were not profiting from these nudges.

Say you were to go to some food establishment and you asked the guy/owner a bunch of questions about the menu and then a few mins later you hear him talking to a buddy and he is making fun of you with all your questions "stupid Israeli" or something like that, now please tell me would you continue to shop there? I am sure the owner is frustrated from all the questions the pizza n00bs ask him, but this is business and you gotta put on a smile and say thank you!

I can tell you from my own experience with dan when he accused me of vilifying him on a thread I went and pm'd him and emailed him explaining myself which I also did in the thread, he should of replied and apologized or said "my bad" or "misunderstanding", instead he ignored me until I bugged him and he sent some snide response. Customer relationship building is lacking here.