Author Topic: Suggestion for camera and system for front door  (Read 1085 times)

Offline NTorch

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 68
    • View Profile
Suggestion for camera and system for front door
« on: August 29, 2017, 02:30:01 PM »
So we have been having issues with UPS and the USPS (not Fedex) saying that packages were delivered but the packages were not on or doorstep (often they are at our neighbor who is one digit off from us).

Similarly they have left notices that no one was home to sign for the packages even though someone was home but they did not ring the bell.

We have a home security system but am thinking that it will be more cost effective to install our own camera focused on the front door (Ring would be cool but makes no sense since UPS/USPS dont usually ring the bell when they are leaving a package).

If you can recommend a weatherproof camera and recording device (does not need to be watchable on line) please post it below.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: Suggestion for camera and system for front door
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 02:36:44 PM »
Ring has motion alerts as well.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline NTorch

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 03:26:40 PM »
Ring has motion alerts as well.

That is a nice feature for when they leave a note that they tried to deliver and no one was home, but does not help when the tracking says delivered at __:__ and they actually delivered next door instead. The motion detector wont go off and start recording if they never come to the door.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2017, 03:30:11 PM »
If there was motion it will be saved. If there was no motion saved then it didn't happen.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline NTorch

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 05:04:27 PM »
If there was motion it will be saved. If there was no motion saved then it didn't happen.

The problem is that you can't prove nothing was delivered when there is no record due to the motion sensor.

If you show (or post online) a video of your front door for the 2 minutes before and after the presumed delivery, you make it easy to show the package was not delivered.  If you say that there is no video because the motion sensor was not tripped, you leave open questions as to whether the system is not working.

Bottom line, its hard to argue with a video showing the front steps with no package there.

Someone posted a great video here which shows the USPS and the lies about the package

https://consumerist.com/2015/09/29/usps-says-it-tried-to-deliver-my-package-but-home-security-video-shows-otherwise/

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2017, 06:27:48 PM »
The problem is that you can't prove nothing was delivered when there is no record due to the motion sensor.

If you show (or post online) a video of your front door for the 2 minutes before and after the presumed delivery, you make it easy to show the package was not delivered.  If you say that there is no video because the motion sensor was not tripped, you leave open questions as to whether the system is not working.

Bottom line, its hard to argue with a video showing the front steps with no package there.

Someone posted a great video here which shows the USPS and the lies about the package

https://consumerist.com/2015/09/29/usps-says-it-tried-to-deliver-my-package-but-home-security-video-shows-otherwise/

I get that all the time with Amazon packages and have gotten months and months of free prime as well as hundreds in credit from Amazon because of it. Keep it up USPS!
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline stbaum

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2017, 07:22:12 PM »
You can have a camera recording continuously. If you're in Brooklyn (or near), pm me and I can set you up with something
My greatest achievement? I am fluent in FRIENDS quotes