Author Topic: Ban Strawberries  (Read 36446 times)

Offline srap

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Re: Ban Strawberries
« Reply #220 on: March 13, 2016, 02:34:29 PM »
I'm "ignorant."  And I think I'm right, and I do what I'm advocating. 

Strawberries aren't like brussel sprouts that you can convince me there's something hiding behind the crevice where I can't see it.  There's no crevice.
If I could download the video I took with my eyes you would see the thrip scurrying around inside the central crevice of the strawberry I opened.  I now understand why handsdown, every strawberry should be cut down the center (which is recommended).

Offline Emkay

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: March 13, 2016, 02:40:30 PM »
If I could download the video I took with my eyes you would see the thrip scurrying around inside the central crevice of the strawberry I opened.  I now understand why handsdown, every strawberry should be cut down the center (which is recommended).
Likely got in there after you already cut it open.

Offline moko

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: March 13, 2016, 02:43:33 PM »
I rarely see live bugs, but recently I saw a live thrip on a filter cloth after 3 washings . How it survived is beyond me. I also saw a live thrip on fennel under the first layer but that was pre wash.

Offline srap

• View Profile
« Reply #223 on: March 13, 2016, 03:26:22 PM »
Likely got in there after you already cut it open.
For sure not!  I cut one and check immediately.  No point otherwise. It would have had to crawl over the cut red flesh first.  Would have seen it.  BTW, this was after soaking them in soap first (before peeling days).

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #224 on: March 13, 2016, 04:52:30 PM »
I rarely see live bugs, but recently I saw a live thrip on a filter cloth after 3 washings .
3 washings of strawberries, or are you referring to something else?
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline CS1

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • California Gourmet Premium Chocolate
  • Programs: DDSLA, DDSCLE, Bonvoy Titanium Feb 2025
« Reply #225 on: March 13, 2016, 04:55:51 PM »
I rarely see live bugs, but recently I saw a live thrip on a filter cloth after 3 washings . How it survived is beyond me. I also saw a live thrip on fennel under the first layer but that was pre wash.

also helpful to wash under strong running water. After spraying/soaking, it will wash anything living down the drain.
California Gourmet Belgian Nut-Free Chocolate Chips https://bit.ly/CaliforniaGourmetDirect

Offline moko

• View Profile
« Reply #226 on: March 13, 2016, 05:02:47 PM »
also helpful to wash under strong running water. After spraying/soaking, it will wash anything living down the drain.
my method : fill large mixing bowl with water and soap to make water slick. Brush under soapy water with toothbrush. Fill sink about 1/2 way  with clean water place strawberries in sink (agitate vigorously for good measure ) then wash under strong stream of water and repeat process a 2ND time. If I had a way of checking the sink water in my house I probably would be satisfied if now insects were found there but I don't have NYC commercial plumbing.

Offline yzj

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: March 13, 2016, 06:20:20 PM »
I still remmber the shock on everyones faces when a meshgiach for one of the well known agencies brought in to the old Beis Eliyahu building in BMG a container of Grade A fresh strawberries from shoprite that had just been thoroughly washed and after a short while started pointing out one aphid after another crawling in and out of the seed pockets. there were multiple live aphids that were only apparent once you knew where to look. I had never noticed them before and it made quite an impression on me and the others who witnessed it. I'm sure there are varying levels of infestation depending on season, location etc. but wow, was that an eye opener....

Offline A3

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: March 13, 2016, 07:28:59 PM »
I still remmber the shock on everyones faces when a meshgiach for one of the well known agencies brought in to the old Beis Eliyahu building in BMG a container of Grade A fresh strawberries from shoprite that had just been thoroughly washed and after a short while started pointing out one aphid after another crawling in and out of the seed pockets. there were multiple live aphids that were only apparent once you knew where to look. I had never noticed them before and it made quite an impression on me and the others who witnessed it. I'm sure there are varying levels of infestation depending on season, location etc. but wow, was that an eye opener....
Did you see him wash it? The term thoroughly changed throughout the years.

Offline yzj

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: March 13, 2016, 07:32:39 PM »
No we did not see him wash it personally.....

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #230 on: March 13, 2016, 11:17:05 PM »
That does not mean that it is required to cut them open. Just because they can on occasion be found there does not make it a miut hamatzuy. BTW, recommended by whom?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline srap

• View Profile
« Reply #231 on: March 13, 2016, 11:37:07 PM »
That does not mean that it is required to cut them open. Just because they can on occasion be found there does not make it a miut hamatzuy. BTW, recommended by whom?
That is how we have been doing it for years.  I follow Rav Vaya.  There are other poiskim quoted or referred to upthread.

Offline moko

• View Profile
« Reply #232 on: March 13, 2016, 11:38:37 PM »
That is how we have been doing it for years.  I follow Rav Vaya.  There are other poiskim quoted or referred to upthread.
pretty sure he doesn't require opening them up unless you cut through the cavity on top. But I'll double check

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #233 on: March 13, 2016, 11:41:21 PM »
Where? I do not recall anyone quoted as saying that they need to be opened.

ETA:
The post below brings a letter from R Vaye in which there is no mention of cutting the strawberry open (It is attached to the post when you click to it)
Seems to be some back and forth on this. 2007 the consensus was that strawberies are impossible to clean.
It seems like things have improved.

http://kosherpoint.com/what-can-be-wrong-with-that/strawberries/
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 11:46:26 PM by aygart »
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline etech0

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #234 on: March 13, 2016, 11:59:35 PM »
pretty sure he doesn't require opening them up unless you cut through the cavity on top.
+1
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline srap

• View Profile
« Reply #235 on: March 14, 2016, 01:13:39 AM »
Where? I do not recall anyone quoted as saying that they need to be opened.

ETA:
The post below brings a letter from R Vaye in which there is no mention of cutting the strawberry open (It is attached to the post when you click to it)
Isn't that what this whole thread is about? The different methods of how strawberries can and can not be checked?  I would be happy to change my methods if he no longer recommends it.  Rav Vaye changed his guidelines once the strawberry infestations started around 2007-2010.

Offline moko

• View Profile
« Reply #236 on: March 14, 2016, 07:00:24 AM »
Rav Vaye changed his guidelines once the strawberry infestations started around 2007-2010.
source? When he was at the OU in the summer of 2014 he didn't require that

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #237 on: March 31, 2016, 12:42:58 AM »
Tolaim are a big issue of debate for me. I dont really believe in the whole shpiel, there are 3 lo sasseh's on tolaiim but im not convinced on the din and where one goes beyond the letter of the law.

I dont eat the bugs I find in life, as tempted as I am.

According to snaple caps, one swallows 12 flies on avg in a life time while sleeping.. I assume they made it up.. but now we need a mouth cover for sleeping ?

I do what I feel follows my belief and practice... I cut off where instructed, soak etc but I tend to agree with others, these chumros dont often mesh with reality...

God forbid hillel hazaken's korech steak sandwich had lettuce!! i'd assume he had mayo and a tomato too? dammit cartman, i'm adding a klp pickle to my korech this year!

Offline Work-for-ur-muny

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: March 31, 2016, 12:54:04 AM »
Tolaim are a big issue of debate for me. I dont really believe in the whole shpiel, there are 3 lo sasseh's on tolaiim but im not convinced on the din and where one goes beyond the letter of the law.

I dont eat the bugs I find in life, as tempted as I am.

According to snaple caps, one swallows 12 flies on avg in a life time while sleeping.. I assume they made it up.. but now we need a mouth cover for sleeping ?

I do what I feel follows my belief and practice... I cut off where instructed, soak etc but I tend to agree with others, these chumros dont often mesh with reality...

God forbid hillel hazaken's korech steak sandwich had lettuce!! i'd assume he had mayo and a tomato too? dammit cartman, i'm adding a klp pickle to my korech this year!
You really went out on a spree today! This post really is in line with your views here.

Offline chevron

• View Profile
« Reply #239 on: March 31, 2016, 01:07:31 AM »
You really went out on a spree today! This post really is in line with your views here.

How do you know my views ? I dont take the moral high ground as easy as it is for many... who will drag their Rav through the mud and disgrace a mikdash meat by talking in shull ... and during kadish and that is their problem but I mean at least I dont pretend to be holy.

I ask a question of Kashrut to someone competent in line with my hashkafa or get a 2nd opinion on logistics and follow it.

I ate trayf as a teenager, I dont need justification. I will soak veggies in water with salt, cut off tips where instructed etc..

But I really see tolaim as a hashkafic thing along with those who only eat a certain shechita or dont trim their beard.. Why accept crazy chumros ?

Different folks, different strokes... yet some are pressured in to buying over priced frozen garbage thats a shod af yidisher gelt