Author Topic: Turo car rentals  (Read 24528 times)

Offline Yehudaa

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 111
    • View Profile
Re: Turo car rentals
« Reply #60 on: January 28, 2023, 07:53:58 PM »
It seems cheaper than the average 1 day rental. Also, does it come with insurance?
Click through to the final booking page to see the full price including fees and mandatory insurance. They offer 2 or 3 insurance options depending on the car.

Offline JudahMcB

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 28, 2023, 08:02:37 PM »
Could the car owner claim that there is damage to the car and charge me after the rental?
You take photos/video of the car at pickup and upload them to Turo in the app. Same when you return it.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 29, 2023, 09:11:59 AM »
I had a Turo owner claim I punctured his tire and no amount of pictures or arguing with Turo fixed it. I'm contemplating disputing the charge but afraid of getting banned, it's probably better to just pay the $500.

Do be very careful w Turo pics, I think more than 50% of my rentals had owners claiming damages.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline WonderingYid

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 27, 2023, 11:24:30 AM »
I had a Turo owner claim I punctured his tire and no amount of pictures or arguing with Turo fixed it. I'm contemplating disputing the charge but afraid of getting banned, it's probably better to just pay the $500.

Do be very careful w Turo pics, I think more than 50% of my rentals had owners claiming damages.
Dispute the charge. Don’t give in to these pigs.

Offline MoYS

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 16, 2023, 11:46:17 PM »
Any recent experiences with insurance for Turo? I got different answers from reps from my regular insurer (progressive) about liability and it seems like they cover, does anyone have any DPs?
Also, if they do cover liability is it worth getting the standard insurance for the car, to not run into trouble with fraud claims from owners? The cost of their insurance really takes away the main bulk of the savings compared to renting thru Hertz etc. and at that point I would probably just do Hertz

TIA

Offline username

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
  • Programs: ┌──────────────────┐ │───> Ữ₴ΣЯИΛΜӘ <─── │ └──────────────────┘
« Reply #65 on: July 17, 2023, 10:09:50 AM »
Could the car owner claim that there is damage to the car and charge me after the rental?

YES.
Moreover, the host has a time frame of 24 hours to send documentation, due to the need to inspect the vehicle more carefully. Unfortunately, we cannot force the host to do this inspection to all the details of the vehicle as soon as the reservation ends.

Offline MoYS

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 17, 2023, 03:02:31 PM »
YES.
Thanks
Are you saying that from a bad experience or just quoting the t&c? Is that something that I really have to worry about, especially if I rent from a top-rated host who has multiple cars and it seems like he does this as a side business, not just a one-off trying to make a couple hundered bucks on a claim.

Offline theblakdavid

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 17, 2023, 03:08:38 PM »
Thanks
Are you saying that from a bad experience or just quoting the t&c? Is that something that I really have to worry about, especially if I rent from a top-rated host who has multiple cars and it seems like he does this as a side business, not just a one-off trying to make a couple hundered bucks on a claim.
I am a host and have rented as well through  Turo - the owner can claim damage up to 24 hours after - but Turo requires extensive pictures so if you take pictures in the Turo app both before and after the chances of any damage claim is basically zero.
I have no experience though as a renter having someone claim damage but they are very by the book with the proof and counterproof with everything else

Offline username

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 17, 2023, 03:13:56 PM »
Bad experience.

I rented a van that had many minor dings all over-which were all photographed prior to the rental. A day after I returned the van -after I left my 5 star rating-  I got a claim for a ding that was not previously photographed. The quote above was from an email from Turo CS, not even sure that its in the T&C.

Interesting thing is, even though they have my CC#, they would not just take the money from me. It showed up as an unpaid invoice that I needed to pay.
^^^

Offline theblakdavid

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 17, 2023, 03:40:25 PM »
Bad experience.

I rented a van that had many minor dings all over-which were all photographed prior to the rental. A day after I returned the van -after I left my 5 star rating-  I got a claim for a ding that was not previously photographed. The quote above was from an email from Turo CS, not even sure that its in the T&C.

Interesting thing is, even though they have my CC#, they would not just take the money from me. It showed up as an unpaid invoice that I needed to pay.
Oh that stinks- you mean it wasn't in your photographs that you took pre/post rental?

Offline username

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 17, 2023, 04:02:46 PM »
She took 104 pics before the trips of many many many dings. These were all on the app.

Thing is, I knowingly took a gamble. The 0 deductible plan cost was around $500 more than the $500 deductible plan.
^^^

Offline theblakdavid

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 17, 2023, 04:48:45 PM »
She took 104 pics before the trips of many many many dings. These were all on the app.

Thing is, I knowingly took a gamble. The 0 deductible plan cost was around $500 more than the $500 deductible plan.
Turo is hopelessly incompetent  in weeding out these loopholes .
The only thing I found works is taking my own pics as a renter.

Offline MoYS

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 18, 2023, 03:35:12 PM »
@username Thanks for the responses

Do you know if the host / owner was a top-rated host? (i think thats how they refer to it)
Also why did you get the $500 deductible not the $3,000, assuming you didn't think thay were going to scam you?
Thanks

Offline username

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 18, 2023, 07:38:29 PM »
@username Thanks for the responses

Do you know if the host / owner was a top-rated host? (i think thats how they refer to it)
All star host. (5* as a guest, 4.95* as a host)Also why did you get the $500 deductible not the $3,000, assuming you didn't think thay were going to scam you?
Thanks
I did want to insure the van somewhat in case of an accident.

^^^

Offline WonderingYid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 01, 2023, 02:27:01 PM »

Don’t pay a thing.
Let them try to chase you for the money.

Offline Dave321

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 15, 2023, 03:24:11 PM »
Just had a pretty bad experience with Turo. Rented a car for 4 days from FLL. After a day with the rental, the host sent me a message demanding the car back, claiming i disabled the GPS. They even reached out to Turo who tried calling and they emailed me. When i saw the message i responded that its parked in an underground garage and maybe thats why. When returning the car, they gave me a bit of a hassle as well. I wrote a review 2 star saying it wasn't a good experience etc. A few minutes later i get a message from the host saying they reported the car stolen to FLL police bec i kept it when they asked for it back. Mind you, it was returned 10 days ago.

Reached out to Turo support and will see what happens.

Offline emak

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 15, 2023, 03:32:18 PM »
I was about to do a rental with Turo from LGA, basically same price as major companies, and I wanted to avoid the shuttle hassle- they offered to pick me up from the Terminal. Not sure if I should be scared off from bad reviews

Offline lcm

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 16, 2023, 07:47:08 PM »
I was about to do a rental with Turo from LGA, basically same price as major companies, and I wanted to avoid the shuttle hassle- they offered to pick me up from the Terminal. Not sure if I should be scared off from bad reviews
Of turo or the person?
Without experience, I would personally be scared off from bad reviews of the person.

Offline emak

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 16, 2023, 10:07:00 PM »
Of turo or the person?
Without experience, I would personally be scared off from bad reviews of the person.
Turo in general. Person has good reviews

Offline emak

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 20, 2023, 08:27:26 AM »
Just used this, had a great experience. The best was that dropoff and pickup were at Terminal, so no need for shuttles