Author Topic: Turo car rentals  (Read 23729 times)

Offline mgoldhammer18

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: American Airlines, Citi thank you, British Avios, Hilton, SPG, AMEX Platinum, Jetblue
Turo car rentals
« on: March 09, 2016, 04:04:07 PM »
Has anybody ever heard if this c9mpany? It's like an airbnb for cars. I'm wondering if it's any good.

Offline ADG

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Turo car rentals
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 04:13:49 PM »
Yes I saw a friend using it...it seems cool. He said he had a good experience

Offline grodnoking

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2016, 04:21:53 PM »
Looks like the insurance coverage sucks. Hope CC insurance works on this type of rental.

I'm not who you think I am.

Offline bermo

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2016, 04:48:56 PM »
i think RelayRides Rebranded As Turo

Offline bermo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2016, 04:51:52 PM »
Looks like the insurance coverage sucks. Hope CC insurance works on this type of rental.
from their website
WILL THE INSURANCE OR COVERAGE I HAVE THROUGH MY CREDIT CARD COVER MY TURO TRIP?
In short: most likely not.

While we cannot provide advice on the specific terms of any coverage that may or may not be available through your credit card, it is highly unlikely that your credit card company provides coverage for damage to a car rented through the Turo marketplace, and it is even less likely that it provides liability coverage for injuries or damage you may cause to other people or their property.

Many credit card companies may not consider Turo a “rental car company”, and so may provide no coverage for a rental through the Turo marketplace.

Please carefully review the terms provided by the credit card, and ask them if you have questions about the specifics of their coverage.

Offline mgoldhammer18

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: American Airlines, Citi thank you, British Avios, Hilton, SPG, AMEX Platinum, Jetblue
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2016, 06:55:09 AM »
I think amex platinum would do the trick

Offline Emkay

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2016, 07:46:17 AM »
i think RelayRides Rebranded As Turo
it did. If anyone wants a referral to get $25 off, PM me  ;)

Offline David61

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2021, 12:49:49 AM »
Looks like CC don't provide insurance coverage but personal insurance might, depending on your policy.

https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=69079.0

Unless you’re confident that your personal insurance will cover you, we strongly advise that you select a protection plan when booking your trip. Some insurance companies exclude coverage for peer -to-peer car sharing. And your credit card company will not provide coverage for a Turo trip. It’s best to check with your insurer or your broker before making your decision.

Anyone have bad experience renting with Turo?
Experience with getting coverage based on your personal auto policy?

Online PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2021, 01:19:19 AM »
Amex doesn’t insure car sharing
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline David61

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2021, 02:09:13 AM »
Looks like CC don't provide insurance coverage but personal insurance might, depending on your policy.

https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=69079.0

Unless you’re confident that your personal insurance will cover you, we strongly advise that you select a protection plan when booking your trip. Some insurance companies exclude coverage for peer -to-peer car sharing. And your credit card company will not provide coverage for a Turo trip. It’s best to check with your insurer or your broker before making your decision.

Anyone have bad experience renting with Turo?
Experience with getting coverage based on your personal auto policy?

Geico's auto policies do not provide protection on Turo rentals (that is not an option/add-on they offer policy holders).

(Not sure about whether they cover "liability" while driving a Turo rental)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 02:18:20 AM by David61 »

Offline yomo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2021, 10:55:02 PM »
Geico's auto policies do not provide protection on Turo rentals (that is not an option/add-on they offer policy holders).

(Not sure about whether they cover "liability" while driving a Turo rental)
Are you sure about this?
Geico automatically covers on all rentals..

Offline David61

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2021, 01:07:05 AM »
Are you sure about this?
Geico automatically covers on all rentals..

That is what the agent told me on the phone, my understanding is that "car sharing" is different that "car rentals". Let me know if you hear otherwise.

Offline Mootkim

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2021, 10:25:42 PM »
I am so confused about what just happened. I signed up for an account a couple of months ago. I did all the verification etc that they require and my account was fully set up. Tonight I made my first booking for a car, the owner confirmed my reservation within 3 minutes and we messaged back and forth saying we will coordinate closer to the date. About an hour later I get the following email:

Thank you for your interest in Turo. Unfortunately, your Turo account has been restricted.

Turo considers many factors when determining eligibility and we reserve the right to undertake screenings, checks, and processes designed to help verify or check the identities and backgrounds of our Turo users. Safety is of paramount importance to our community and marketplace. Although we do not disclose specific details of our internal review process, our decision to restrict your account was based off one or more of the following:

Violation of Turo’s Terms of Service
Failed background screening
Risk flags triggered by Turo’s internal system
One or more motor vehicle record (MVR) violations

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience, but we have cancelled your upcoming trip on your behalf. We have refunded your trip accordingly. Refunds may take up to 10 business days but are often completed within 3 to 5 business days, unless you used Google Pay or Apple Pay, for which a refund can take up to 30 days. You can read more about Turo’s refund timing by clicking here.
Note that refunds can be affected by your bank's policies around travel-related funds on both credit and debit cards. You will need to reach out to your bank for more information on their refund times.

Again, thank you for your interest in Turo.

Best,
Daniel
Turo Verification Team

I have no idea what I could possibly have done wrong. The only option could be that I got a cell phone ticket about 8 months ago but nothing else in the past 5 years at least.

Offline Yo ssi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2021, 12:37:49 AM »
Is Turo exempt from state mandated (insurance) minimums?
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline biobook

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2021, 12:41:46 AM »

I have no idea what I could possibly have done wrong. The only option could be that I got a cell phone ticket about 8 months ago but nothing else in the past 5 years at least.
Could it be this one?

Is there any use fighting one of these tickets with one of these apps that fight nyc traffic tickets (like winit)? Was pictured speeding 14 over and presumably am wrong but just wondering if I should simply pay it immediately or if there was any way to have it dismissed or have the fine lowered.

Online lcm

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2021, 01:47:48 AM »
I am so confused about what just happened. I signed up for an account a couple of months ago. I did all the verification etc that they require and my account was fully set up. Tonight I made my first booking for a car, the owner confirmed my reservation within 3 minutes and we messaged back and forth saying we will coordinate closer to the date. About an hour later I get the following email:

There's another similar platform called getaround.
I haven't used it but it seems fine.
I did set up an account though, it seems like it needs you to have a Facebook account to set up an account to "verify your identity". I made a Facebook account with minimal info for this, not even my last name spelled out, just my first name and dob correct, and max privacy settings

I gives me an option to refer people... (Can I say that here?)

Offline Mootkim

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2021, 09:50:40 AM »
Could it be this one?
Wow! very impressed that youre keeping track. The camera ticket you mentioned is a simple NYC speed camera that automatically sends you a ticket if you go more than 9 MPH over. It is not associated with your license and has nothing to do with the actual driver. It happens to be that the camera ticket you were referencing there was my wife as she drives every day through the heart of Brooklyn where there are tons of these cameras.

As far as the cell phone ticket, does that even make sense that anyone with anything on their record would be banned from renting?? Furthermore, I dont think it is even on my record yet because I pleaded not guilty and got a court date for sometime in May (the violation was around last May).

Offline David61

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2021, 02:24:14 AM »

It seems like the insurance options offered to renters on Turo have changed.

All options seem to cover minimum state level liability for the renter (varies by state, can be as low as 10K or 25K) but only the highest priced insurance premium (as much as $100/day or more), covers liability above the the state minimum levels!

(Interestingly even though they don't provide that coverage to the renter, they do provide the insurance coverage to the owner for liability --i.e. if the car owner is sued). Presumably the victim/plaintiff would go after the renter for the liability, and if the renter can't pay/goes bankrupt, then the insurance would step in to protect the car owner.

Granted there are a lot of people with low car insurance coverage, but I'd be uncomfortable renting if it means taking on this risk.

It's a pity because some of their rates are much lower than the traditional car-rental rates right now.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 02:30:51 AM by David61 »

Offline David61

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2021, 11:25:38 AM »
I've now (today) been told that (by multiple reps at Geico, including a supervisor) that Geico will provide secondary coverage for liability and comprehensive when renting on Turo.

Trying to get written confirmation of that as it seems to different from what I was told months ago by another Geico rep. Perhaps that is a change or has been clarified on their side.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 11:32:22 AM by David61 »

Offline Yo ssi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2021, 01:31:55 PM »
The question was if they are required to offer it, in traditional car rental companies IINM if you decline coverage those minimums are still required.
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/