Author Topic: Should I Change My Itinerary?  (Read 22896 times)

Offline Emkay

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
Re: Should I Change My Itinerary?
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2016, 05:19:42 PM »
good to see that most are not as crazy as AJK.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2016, 05:20:43 PM »
How tired are you? :)

;D

Ding ding ding. I seriously question (among other things) his ability to travel at all if this remains a question.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2016, 05:21:51 PM »
good to see that most are not as crazy as AJK.

As posted on DDMS:

Vote currently stands at 2/3 in favor of United itin.

. . .

I’d wager that north of 80% of those people have never flown an F product, let alone LH F.

Living life for what its worth doesn't mean practicality trumps all.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline sruly

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2016, 05:28:10 PM »
This ^

You think 50K is a premium? When again will you have the opportunity to fly solo? Right now, it's costing you 50K, which, last I checked, is less than 200K (50K x4).

To me, the fact that you haven't already switched calls into your question your sustained ability to run this site.

1) Flying solo (means don't have to bother wife and kids, nor having to pay for them);
2) Flying new LH F (which you have not done... comparing old to new is like comparing UA J to LH F)
3) FCT + Porsche
4) The "Hobby" is becoming less and less attractive. In a year or two, your 50K will be worth half that.

So you don't sleep another hour in a bed. In a year, let alone ten, will you remember the extra hour of sleep, UA J, and saving 50K, or will you remember the nose of the 748 in LH F with a Porsche to the plane after sipping some top-shelf whiskey?

That's what I thought.
Now that you put it this way I kinda agree with you.

Offline Aaaron

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2016, 05:33:00 PM »
Flip a coin.  You'll know when it's in the air what you really want.  But I suspect we all know the answer...

Offline ad120

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2016, 05:35:09 PM »
As posted on DDMS:

The poll doesnt seem trump like for you MR. AJK

Offline Emkay

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2016, 05:37:35 PM »
As posted on DDMS:

and id wager that at least half that voted to change agree that its not a sane decision and are voting in spite on that.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 14, 2016, 05:39:36 PM »
and id wager that at least half that voted to change agree that its not a sane decision and are voting in spite on that.

I don't know if "sane" is the word I'd use, but I'd agree the people who voted LH view the UA itinerary as more practical.

I'd counter with:

1) Flying solo (means don't have to bother wife and kids, nor having to pay for them);
2) Flying new LH F (which you have not done... comparing old to new is like comparing UA J to LH F)
3) FCT + Porsche
4) The "Hobby" is becoming less and less attractive. In a year or two, your 50K will be worth half that.

So you don't sleep another hour in a bed. In a year, let alone ten, will you remember the extra hour of sleep, UA J, and saving 50K, or will you remember the nose of the 748 in LH F with a Porsche to the plane after sipping some top-shelf whiskey?

That's what I thought.

Offline David Smith

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 14, 2016, 06:12:50 PM »
This ^

You think 50K is a premium? When again will you have the opportunity to fly solo? Right now, it's costing you 50K, which, last I checked, is less than 200K (50K x4).

To me, the fact that you haven't already switched calls into your question your sustained ability to run this site.

3) FCT + Porsche

That's what I thought.
Ten years down the line, I would think you'd remember the time spent with your family more than the number sequence of the plane model and the car that drove you 50 feet to get on. Am I wrong?
Who do you think you are fooling? You think you are going to pull a quick one on your Creator? Good luck with that.
JTZ

Offline sky121

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2016, 06:22:34 PM »
I'm surprised at the current  voting results.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline shmebeble

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2016, 06:28:18 PM »
Ten years down the line, I would think you'd remember the time spent with your family more than the number sequence of the plane model and the car that drove you 50 feet to get on. Am I wrong?
Well overall the time is insignificant if his family doesn't need him this second. Chances are he'll remember the plane more.

Offline David Smith

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 14, 2016, 06:33:42 PM »
Well overall the time is insignificant if his family doesn't need him this second. Chances are he'll remember the plane more.
Time spent with family is insignificant if they don't need you??!!  ???
Who do you think you are fooling? You think you are going to pull a quick one on your Creator? Good luck with that.
JTZ

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2016, 06:45:28 PM »

Are you trolling? I can't tell if you want people to take this comment seriously.

Are you deliberately implying the extension of this trip makes a difference to the point that he (or they) will remember getting back at 5 PM as opposed to 11 PM ... in ten years from now?

Offline yitrap

• View Profile
Should I Change My Itinerary?
« Reply #53 on: March 14, 2016, 06:46:38 PM »
I would definitely switch, incredible way to end the trip... Even with the coach parts of the itinerary.

Eta. There was a discussion a couple months back about taking the J/F Flight at the beginning or end of the trip if one had to choose... Anyone remember which side Dan took?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #54 on: March 14, 2016, 06:49:49 PM »
I would definitely switch, incredible way to end the trip... Even with the coach parts of the itinerary.

Eta. There was a discussion a couple months back about taking the J/F Flight at the beginning or end of the trip if one had to choose... Anyone remember which side Dan took?
I was on #TeamOutbound
Besides, last thing in my mouth will be the transfer to the RJ :P

I'm still really torn here.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline yitrap

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 14, 2016, 07:03:16 PM »

I was on #TeamOutbound
Besides, last thing in my mouth will be the transfer to the RJ :P

I'm still really torn here.
I'd still do it, you're getting home the same night it's a difference of a couple of hours of sleep...

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 14, 2016, 07:05:38 PM »
I'd still do it, you're getting home the same night it's a difference of a couple of hours of sleep...

Yeah, but you're forgetting his real opportunity cost. If he uses 50K UA here, he won't be able to use that same 50K to get a $50 Gap GC in 2017, because... as we all know, miles are getting *more* valuable and programs are *not* devaluing.

HT: AsherO
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 07:09:00 PM by AJK »

Offline EJB

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 14, 2016, 07:06:44 PM »
I changed my mind. Take option 2 and come to a Doghouse DO during your connection  ;D. That'll fuel you through the RJ flight home.

Offline AROCKS1

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 14, 2016, 07:08:00 PM »
While I think any other person on this forum would be overcome by the logic of staying with your current itinerary, I think you being you (king of maximizing on oportunities) are required to agree with AJK...

Offline yitrap

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 14, 2016, 07:11:51 PM »

Yeah, but you're forgetting his real opportunity cost. If he uses 50K UA here, he won't be able to use that same 50K to get a $50 Gap GC in 2017, because... as we all know, miles are getting *more* valuable and programs are *not* devaluing.

HT: AsherO
I'm honestly not taking the 50k into equation here, I've seen pictures of Dan's account balance... It's not breaking the bank