Author Topic: FBI Raids Orthodox Homes  (Read 234966 times)

Offline jye

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: FBI Raids Orthodox Homes and Businesses in Monsey and KJ
« Reply #480 on: June 28, 2017, 09:23:31 AM »
At least some of these families have special needs children. Is this what they were after?

Offline zale

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: June 28, 2017, 09:25:42 AM »
I see there are a lot of very righteous members of DDF.

Life is not binary. Life is not black and white. The vast majority of people who apply for benefits while earning more than allowable are doing so because they are desperate. They earn too much to be eligible for benefits, and at the same time do not earn enough to survive. DH, whether you like it or not, said it exactly right. Maybe he shouldn't have aired the dirty laundry of the community, but what he said is true.

I'm curious how many people here that פארקויפן זייער מיילס report it as income. I'm curious how many people here ליגענען וועגן זייער פרנסה to get approved for credit cards.

I'm not G-D forbid saying it's justified. It's not. But those who live in a glass house...

Offline shaulyaakov

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: June 28, 2017, 09:26:53 AM »
I would say -1 but I'll give you benefit of the doubt that you meant "falsely" claiming. What I was referring to is stretching definitions of religious income, claiming your wife and baby mama of 8 is just your girlfriend, or putting things in other people's name's so it's not "your income". I thought legal vehicles were being abused. The surprise to me (and I don't live in Lakewood so maybe I was just naive) here is that even by the letter of the law there has been massive illegal activity apparently.
A bunch of your examples are against actual laws, not just spirit. Putting income to others, and getting married religiously but not civiliy are both illegal. The marriage thing, however, might only be illegal for the officiant, not the couple.

Offline Redbull3

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #483 on: June 28, 2017, 09:32:16 AM »
A bunch of your examples are against actual laws, not just spirit. Putting income to others, and getting married religiously but not civiliy are both illegal. The marriage thing, however, might only be illegal for the officiant, not the couple.
I hear where you are coming from - but I think there is grey area depending on the type of occupation and income we are talking about. Or at least I thought so.

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #484 on: June 28, 2017, 09:36:03 AM »
he shouldn't have aired the dirty laundry of the community
This.

Just to get into the newspaper again. Who is he?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Menachem613

• View Profile
« Reply #485 on: June 28, 2017, 09:43:32 AM »

Life is not binary. Life is not black and white. The vast majority of people who apply for benefits while earning more than allowable are doing so because they are desperate. They earn too much to be eligible for benefits, and at the same time do not earn enough to survive. DH, whether you like it or not, said it exactly right. Maybe he shouldn't have aired the dirty laundry of the community, but what he said is true.

I'm curious how many people here that פארקויפן זייער מיילס report it as income. I'm curious how many people here ליגענען וועגן זייער פרנסה to get approved for credit cards.

I'm not G-D forbid saying it's justified. It's not. But those who live in a glass house...

Bad comparison. None of the " crimes" you mention would ever makes the papers if discovered.

Offline zale

• View Profile
« Reply #486 on: June 28, 2017, 09:47:11 AM »
Bad comparison. None of the " crimes" you mention would ever makes the papers if discovered.

Who cares what would or wouldn't make the papers? Everyone here is obsessed with the term "illegal". First check to make sure you are not doing anything illegal, then move on to judge others.

Besides, if there was a large scale investigation into those above-mentioned things, and it was discovered that millions traded hands, it most certainly would make the papers.

Offline Menachem613

• View Profile
« Reply #487 on: June 28, 2017, 09:48:50 AM »
Who cares what would or wouldn't make the papers? Everyone here is obsessed with the term "illegal". First check to make sure you are not doing anything illegal, then move on to judge others.

Besides, if there was a large scale investigation into those above-mentioned things, and it was discovered that millions traded hands, it most certainly would make the papers.

The point is Chillul Hashem.

Offline shaulyaakov

• View Profile
« Reply #488 on: June 28, 2017, 09:49:46 AM »
I wasn't aware there were special dispensations in Halacha that would allow stealing, lying, Chillul Hashem, and not following Dina DeMalchusa Dina because it was difficult.

Offline Menachem613

• View Profile
« Reply #489 on: June 28, 2017, 09:51:51 AM »
I wasn't aware there were special dispensations in Halacha that would allow stealing, lying, Chillul Hashem, and not following Dina DeMalchusa Dina because it was difficult.

No one said there is. Just one is guaranteed to make the papers and the other is not. One is guaranteed to make a Chilul Hashem and the other is not.

Offline Toasted

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: June 28, 2017, 09:52:26 AM »
At least some of these families have special needs children. Is this what they were after?
Yes. This way they have much larger benefits from medicaid so they can allege these millions stolen. In reality, getting medicaid illegally should be counted as the value of the insurance coverage which is max 20-30k a year, but the feds count the actual medicaid claims paid out.

Offline zale

• View Profile
« Reply #491 on: June 28, 2017, 09:55:05 AM »
Yes. This way they have much larger benefits from medicaid so they can allege these millions stolen. In reality, getting medicaid illegally should be counted as the value of the insurance coverage which is max 20-30k a year, but the feds count the actual medicaid claims paid out.

Not only that, but they combine all the people they arrested and report a collective amount of benefits stolen. It's purely to make headlines and make the crime look deeper and darker than it is.

Offline churnbabychurn

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: June 28, 2017, 09:55:54 AM »
-1 the state paid out the money.

Offline theduke

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: June 28, 2017, 09:58:57 AM »

Selling miles may not necessarily be a taxable event. The IRS has been dealing with this for years and so far earning miles for a cc sign up is nontaxable, so if you are selling nontaxable miles in exchange for cash one can argue it is just an exchange in kind and would not trigger any taxes.

Offline Dawie

• View Profile
« Reply #494 on: June 28, 2017, 09:59:27 AM »
I would say -1 but I'll give you benefit of the doubt that you meant "falsely" claiming. What I was referring to is stretching definitions of religious income, claiming your wife and baby mama of 8 is just your girlfriend, or putting things in other people's name's so it's not "your income". I thought legal vehicles were being abused. The surprise to me (and I don't live in Lakewood so maybe I was just naive) here is that even by the letter of the law there has been massive illegal activity apparently.
iv'e been doing working with lower income people for 20 years and have never seen this once in lakewood (splitting the household claiming two sets of programs)
Maybe i'm naive, or just blind
I see it in Newark, Camden, Jersey City and NYC everyday
and frankly i think the commentators in the APP and the like are trying to perpetuate this blood libel

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #495 on: June 28, 2017, 10:00:13 AM »
Seriously? Should they have skipped over that arrest to the next guy who has all healthy 'average' children?
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline jackofall

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: June 28, 2017, 10:01:51 AM »
-1 the state paid out the money.
Why? Doesn't the insurance company pay the claims and the state pay the premiums?
If you focus on being a boss, you will never be a leader. Leaders lead people to growth and improvement.

Offline elya

• View Profile
« Reply #497 on: June 28, 2017, 10:02:45 AM »
App.com is down!!

Offline jackofall

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: June 28, 2017, 10:03:42 AM »

Best post of this thread!!
All the self righteous ones should very care full.  Hard to find someone that does everything by the book.
If you focus on being a boss, you will never be a leader. Leaders lead people to growth and improvement.

Offline thaber

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: June 28, 2017, 10:07:09 AM »
If you want to get upset at self righteous people aim it at this guy. http://forward.com/scribe/375728/in-lakewood-sometimes-corruption-and-greed-get-in-the-way-of-the-torah/
I think it behooves us to be עמדו ולקחו מוסר, not to kler if those arrested are evil, or if Lakewood is worse than Newark. All that doesn't really matter at all.