Author Topic: FBI Raids Orthodox Homes  (Read 234875 times)

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: FBI Raids Orthodox Homes and Businesses in Monsey and KJ
« Reply #500 on: June 28, 2017, 10:07:26 AM »
Selling miles may not necessarily be a taxable event. The IRS has been dealing with this for years and so far earning miles for a cc sign up is nontaxable, so if you are selling nontaxable miles in exchange for cash one can argue it is just an exchange in kind and would not trigger any taxes.
thanks for the good laugh.
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline Menachem613

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: June 28, 2017, 10:15:44 AM »
I see there are a lot of very righteous members of DDF.

Life is not binary. Life is not black and white. The vast majority of people who apply for benefits while earning more than allowable are doing so because they are desperate. They earn too much to be eligible for benefits, and at the same time do not earn enough to survive. DH, whether you like it or not, said it exactly right. Maybe he shouldn't have aired the dirty laundry of the community, but what he said is true.

I'm curious how many people here that פארקויפן זייער מיילס report it as income. I'm curious how many people here ליגענען וועגן זייער פרנסה to get approved for credit cards.

I'm not G-D forbid saying it's justified. It's not. But those who live in a glass house...

The complaint says the [deleted], who earned approximately $1.8 million in 2013, exploited $178,000 from Medicaid, Section 8 housing and SNAP food benefits.

Online Dawie

• View Profile
« Reply #502 on: June 28, 2017, 10:18:07 AM »
The complaint says the [deleted], who earned approximately $1.8 million in 2013, exploited $178,000 from Medicaid, Section 8 housing and SNAP food benefits.
some of the things they count as income are ridiculous (money from cashing out a refi?)
and what they count as benefits is worse (hospital bills that medicaid paid for, that would have been coverage by any insurance)

Offline Menachem613

• View Profile
« Reply #503 on: June 28, 2017, 10:23:08 AM »
some of the things they count as income are ridiculous (money from cashing out a refi?)
and what they count as benefits is worse (hospital bills that medicaid paid for, that would have been coverage by any insurance)

Good point. I doubt they used IRS rules in determining taxable income.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #504 on: June 28, 2017, 10:24:42 AM »
You guys are to funny. This is very simple. They got caught. If you cant do the time then don't do the crime.
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline thaber

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: June 28, 2017, 10:26:08 AM »

Why is cashing out a refi not income? Why is having medicaid paying a bill for you illegitimately not a benefit?

Offline flyingace

• View Profile
« Reply #506 on: June 28, 2017, 10:26:33 AM »
Good point. I doubt they used IRS rules in determining taxable income.
+1. Every program has different criteria for what needs to be included in reporting income. The FBI is not as knowledgeable and judicious as people think.

Offline Menachem613

• View Profile
« Reply #507 on: June 28, 2017, 10:27:33 AM »
+1. Every program has different criteria for what needs to be included in reporting income. The FBI is not as knowledgeable and judicious as people think.

Simple example. You sell your house for $700k and FBI says you made $700k+ in 2017.

Online Redbull3

• View Profile
  • Programs: Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #508 on: June 28, 2017, 10:28:59 AM »
iv'e been doing working with lower income people for 20 years and have never seen this once in lakewood (splitting the household claiming two sets of programs)
Maybe i'm naive, or just blind
I see it in Newark, Camden, Jersey City and NYC everyday
and frankly i think the commentators in the APP and the like are trying to perpetuate this blood libel
Not sure what you are saying... are you saying you don't think this is happening? The stats in the App article are evidence that this is happening. The median income in lakewood is 1/3rd that of a neighboring town with similar property values. Which means they are reporting much less income than the neighboring town while living in the same kinds of houses. It is pretty clear that this is happening on a large scale. No other way to explain it. Folks living in houses valued over 500k and are signed up for benefits designed for the destitute. I just thought they were acting legally (not addressing whether or not it is morally reprehensible). I guess we'll find out how they fare in court but seems like no.

Offline flyingace

• View Profile
« Reply #509 on: June 28, 2017, 10:31:48 AM »
Property values are not a good way to judge this. In the non-Jewish world neighborhoods consist of similar income families. Not so in frum communiteis. You have bungalows next door to mansions, which raise everyone's property values.

Online Dawie

• View Profile
« Reply #510 on: June 28, 2017, 10:33:23 AM »
Not sure what you are saying... are you saying you don't think this is happening? The stats in the App article are evidence that this is happening. The median income in lakewood is 1/3rd that of a neighboring town with similar property values. Which means they are reporting much less income than the neighboring town while living in the same kinds of houses. It is pretty clear that this is happening on a large scale. No other way to explain it. Folks living in houses valued over 500k and are signed up for benefits designed for the destitute. I just thought they were acting legally (not addressing whether or not it is morally reprehensible). I guess we'll find out how they fare in court but seems like no.
Just the 2 sets of programs per family part

Offline hvaces42

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: June 28, 2017, 10:34:43 AM »
Did you ever take into consideration that none of the people living in those houses, or a very small percentage, actually own the houses in their own names and ot could be parents or siblings who own them. So they may actually be destitute and qualify for benefits while living in the same houses as the neighboring town.
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline thaber

• View Profile
« Reply #512 on: June 28, 2017, 10:36:54 AM »
Did you ever take into consideration that none of the people living in those houses, or a very small percentage, actually own the houses in their own names and ot could be parents or siblings who own them. So they may actually be destitute and qualify for benefits while living in the same houses as the neighboring town.
I believe hud in Lakewood forbade that about 15 years ago

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #513 on: June 28, 2017, 10:37:26 AM »
Why? Doesn't the insurance company pay the claims and the state pay the premiums?
Don't have enough information to answer.. very probable that the state self insures... Using HMO's etc.

You can't buy these plans from for profit insurance companies..

Offline flyingace

• View Profile
« Reply #514 on: June 28, 2017, 10:38:30 AM »
I believe hud in Lakewood forbade that about 15 years ago
But existings were grandfathered in.

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #515 on: June 28, 2017, 10:41:58 AM »
Simple example. You sell your house for $700k and FBI says you made $700k+ in 2017.
That's just ridiculous.. I read some of the complaints and the financial stuff on there really seems like garbage...

"A check from LLC was cashed". - was this income? Return of capital? A loan? Etc etc

Offline thaber

• View Profile
« Reply #516 on: June 28, 2017, 10:43:49 AM »
But existings were grandfathered in.
Before most of the subject houses were built?

Offline zh cohen

• View Profile
« Reply #517 on: June 28, 2017, 10:44:06 AM »
That's just ridiculous.. I read some of the complaints and the financial stuff on there really seems like garbage...

"A check from LLC was cashed". - was this income? Return of capital? A loan? Etc etc

In the one complaint that I read, it said that when they filed taxes they claimed it as income.

Online Redbull3

• View Profile
  • Programs: Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #518 on: June 28, 2017, 10:44:16 AM »
Oh this house? It's my parents'. Oh that income? It's my husband's. I have no income so give me medicaid and food stamps. This is where the sketchy vs legal stuff comes in. I don't know enough about the law, that was my point.

Offline flyingace

• View Profile
« Reply #519 on: June 28, 2017, 10:47:28 AM »
Before most of the subject houses were built?
Not when you are looking at the town as a whole, which is what the article is doing. And many of the HUD consumers are that old. It's been very hard to get HUD in recent years.