Author Topic: FBI Raids Orthodox Homes  (Read 101046 times)

Offline Dawie

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: FBI Raids Orthodox Homes and Businesses in Monsey and KJ
« Reply #510 on: June 28, 2017, 10:33:23 AM »
Not sure what you are saying... are you saying you don't think this is happening? The stats in the App article are evidence that this is happening. The median income in lakewood is 1/3rd that of a neighboring town with similar property values. Which means they are reporting much less income than the neighboring town while living in the same kinds of houses. It is pretty clear that this is happening on a large scale. No other way to explain it. Folks living in houses valued over 500k and are signed up for benefits designed for the destitute. I just thought they were acting legally (not addressing whether or not it is morally reprehensible). I guess we'll find out how they fare in court but seems like no.
Just the 2 sets of programs per family part

Offline hvaces42

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: June 28, 2017, 10:34:43 AM »
Not sure what you are saying... are you saying you don't think this is happening? The stats in the App article are evidence that this is happening. The median income in lakewood is 1/3rd that of a neighboring town with similar property values. Which means they are reporting much less income than the neighboring town while living in the same kinds of houses. It is pretty clear that this is happening on a large scale. No other way to explain it. Folks living in houses valued over 500k and are signed up for benefits designed for the destitute. I just thought they were acting legally (not addressing whether or not it is morally reprehensible). I guess we'll find out how they fare in court but seems like no.
Did you ever take into consideration that none of the people living in those houses, or a very small percentage, actually own the houses in their own names and ot could be parents or siblings who own them. So they may actually be destitute and qualify for benefits while living in the same houses as the neighboring town.
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline thaber

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: June 28, 2017, 10:36:54 AM »
Did you ever take into consideration that none of the people living in those houses, or a very small percentage, actually own the houses in their own names and ot could be parents or siblings who own them. So they may actually be destitute and qualify for benefits while living in the same houses as the neighboring town.
I believe hud in Lakewood forbade that about 15 years ago

Offline churnbabychurn

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: June 28, 2017, 10:37:26 AM »
Why? Doesn't the insurance company pay the claims and the state pay the premiums?
Don't have enough information to answer.. very probable that the state self insures... Using HMO's etc.

You can't buy these plans from for profit insurance companies..

Offline flyingace

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: June 28, 2017, 10:38:30 AM »
I believe hud in Lakewood forbade that about 15 years ago
But existings were grandfathered in.

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #515 on: June 28, 2017, 10:41:58 AM »
Simple example. You sell your house for $700k and FBI says you made $700k+ in 2017.
That's just ridiculous.. I read some of the complaints and the financial stuff on there really seems like garbage...

"A check from LLC was cashed". - was this income? Return of capital? A loan? Etc etc

Offline thaber

• View Profile
« Reply #516 on: June 28, 2017, 10:43:49 AM »
But existings were grandfathered in.
Before most of the subject houses were built?

Offline zh cohen

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: June 28, 2017, 10:44:06 AM »
That's just ridiculous.. I read some of the complaints and the financial stuff on there really seems like garbage...

"A check from LLC was cashed". - was this income? Return of capital? A loan? Etc etc

In the one complaint that I read, it said that when they filed taxes they claimed it as income.

Offline Redbull3

• View Profile
« Reply #518 on: June 28, 2017, 10:44:16 AM »
Oh this house? It's my parents'. Oh that income? It's my husband's. I have no income so give me medicaid and food stamps. This is where the sketchy vs legal stuff comes in. I don't know enough about the law, that was my point.

Offline flyingace

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: June 28, 2017, 10:47:28 AM »
Before most of the subject houses were built?
Not when you are looking at the town as a whole, which is what the article is doing. And many of the HUD consumers are that old. It's been very hard to get HUD in recent years.

Offline thaber

• View Profile
« Reply #520 on: June 28, 2017, 10:51:36 AM »

. It's been very hard to get HUD in recent years.

y'know why?

Offline Aaaron

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: June 28, 2017, 11:02:56 AM »
I see there are a lot of very righteous members of DDF.

Life is not binary. Life is not black and white. The vast majority of people who apply for benefits while earning more than allowable are doing so because they are desperate. They earn too much to be eligible for benefits, and at the same time do not earn enough to survive. DH, whether you like it or not, said it exactly right. Maybe he shouldn't have aired the dirty laundry of the community, but what he said is true.

I'm curious how many people here that פארקויפן זייער מיילס report it as income. I'm curious how many people here ליגענען וועגן זייער פרנסה to get approved for credit cards.

I'm not G-D forbid saying it's justified. It's not. But those who live in a glass house...

DH's statement - besides being a moronic thing to publicize - is pure BS.  Were these families living with 6 children per bedroom sleeping on mattresses on the floor?  Were they sharing a box of pasta for dinner every night?  No, they weren't.  They wanted their cake and to eat it too.  Pure greed and/or entitlement.

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #522 on: June 28, 2017, 11:05:25 AM »
Good point. I doubt they used their own rules in determining reportable income.
FTFY
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used to start a religious discussion.

Offline zale

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: June 28, 2017, 11:05:31 AM »
Were these families living with 6 children per bedroom sleeping on mattresses on the floor?  Were they sharing a box of pasta for dinner every night?

The families that got arrested? No.

The vast majority of families claiming benefits while ineligible? Possibly, or possibly they don't want it to come to that.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16441
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime Plat, DL Dirt, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Avis Chairman, National EE, Hertz PC
« Reply #524 on: June 28, 2017, 11:08:03 AM »
The families that got arrested? No.

The vast majority of families claiming benefits while ineligible? Possibly, or possibly they don't want it to come to that.

I doubt the FBI is going to roundup people making a few thousand more than reported.
They're going after the big fish clearly.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.