Author Topic: FBI Raids Orthodox Homes  (Read 234982 times)

Offline churnbabychurn

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: FBI Raids Orthodox Homes
« Reply #800 on: June 30, 2017, 08:46:50 AM »
To short of a thread for that.  :)
Yup, it's Friday. Ok.

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #801 on: June 30, 2017, 08:50:56 AM »
..." is the former rabbi of Oros Yisroel, a school for special-needs students that closed in 2015 because of federal and state tax liens of more than $295,000, according to public records."

How does a school have federal tax liens? Not a nfp?

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: June 30, 2017, 08:51:06 AM »
Yup, it's Friday. Ok.
Glad someone gets it.
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #803 on: June 30, 2017, 09:06:44 AM »
..." is the former rabbi of Oros Yisroel, a school for special-needs students that closed in 2015 because of federal and state tax liens of more than $295,000, according to public records."

How does a school have federal tax liens? Not a nfp?
Payroll taxes.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #804 on: June 30, 2017, 09:38:24 AM »
The prosecutor said he targeted the Jewish community?
http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2017/06/more_arrests_coming_in_lakewood_di_ionno.html
"We are sending a message to this community that the party is over," the law enforcement source said.
"The party," the source refers to are allegations that Orthodox Jews bilk the public assistance systems.

http://www.app.com/story/news/investigations/watchdog/2017/06/26/lakewood-welfare-fraud/424127001/
"Financial assistance programs are designed to alleviate family hardships for those truly in need," said Ocean County Prosecutor Joseph Coronato in a statement. "My office gave clear guidance and notice to the Lakewood community in 2015 of what is considered financial abuse of these programs.
"Those who choose to ignore those warnings by seeking to illegally profit on the backs of taxpayers will pay the punitive price of their actions."
It is of course not explicit, but the only community they "warned" was the orthodox one. That is also the only one they investigated. The didn't warn or investigate Lakewood's Hispanic, black, or senior community.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #805 on: June 30, 2017, 09:44:20 AM »
It is of course not explicit, but the only community they "warned" was the orthodox one. That is also the only one they investigated. The didn't warn or investigate Lakewood's Hispanic, black, or senior community.
Police target high crime black communities all the time and there is no outrage. Just the opposite is true. The residents want these communities cleaned up.

Offline moko

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: June 30, 2017, 09:47:20 AM »
Police target high crime black communities all the time and there is no outrage. Just the opposite is true. The residents want these communities cleaned up.
really?? Is that why there is almost no law enforcement cooperation from these communities? If they want the community cleaned up, stop sending 7yr old Tyron to be a runner or lookout

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #807 on: June 30, 2017, 09:51:29 AM »
They will target Albany Park but will they target only the Blacks in Albany Park and not the Hispanics?

Offline Aaaron

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: June 30, 2017, 10:02:32 AM »
That is also the only one they investigated. The didn't warn or investigate Lakewood's Hispanic, black, or senior community.

Source? 

Offline Baruch

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: June 30, 2017, 10:03:49 AM »
Two wrongs don't make a right. This can be used in a criminal defense. And it has been used successfully before.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #810 on: June 30, 2017, 10:13:11 AM »
They will target Albany Park but will they target only the Blacks in Albany Park and not the Hispanics?
You make it sound like that if they found a non-Jew scamming the government they would look the other way.

Reminds me of the famous quote: The famous criminal Willie Sutton was once asked why he robbed banks, and his response was simple, eloquent, and humorous: Because that’s where the money is.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #811 on: June 30, 2017, 10:16:08 AM »
really?? Is that why there is almost no law enforcement cooperation from these communities? If they want the community cleaned up, stop sending 7yr old Tyron to be a runner or lookout
Depends on the community. As for your other comment I will chalk it up to pure ignorance and not racism.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #812 on: June 30, 2017, 10:22:54 AM »
You make it sound like that if they found a non-Jew scamming the government they would look the other way.

Reminds me of the famous quote: The famous criminal Willie Sutton was once asked why he robbed banks, and his response was simple, eloquent, and humorous: Because that’s where the money is.

And if while targeting blacks in Albany Park they would find a hispanic  they also would not look the other way. Do they have snything showing that this fraud is more rampnt in the Orthodox community? I can show you numbers which show the opposite. The issue is that they used an anti-semitic stereotype to decide to spend millions on investigating a specific ethnic profile. That is illegal profiling. Of course there are criminals in the Orthodox community. Probably at about the same rae as every other middle class community, maybe a little more skewed to white collar crime due to various aspects of background and upbringing. The types of crimes are probably also the ones which would be found in middle class communities. That does not mean that they profiled and targeted over other communities.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #813 on: June 30, 2017, 10:26:00 AM »
And if while targeting blacks in Albany Park they would find a hispanic  they also would not look the other way. Do they have snything showing that this fraud is more rampnt in the Orthodox community? I can show you numbers which show the opposite. The issue is that they used an anti-semitic stereotype to decide to spend millions on investigating a specific ethnic profile. That is illegal profiling. Of course there are criminals in the Orthodox community. Probably at about the same rae as every other middle class community, maybe a little more skewed to white collar crime due to various aspects of background and upbringing. The types of crimes are probably also the ones which would be found in middle class communities. That does not mean that they profiled and targeted over other communities.
As far as numbers I have no idea. When I read here that the whole community is worried that sure doesn't sound like just a few involved.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #814 on: June 30, 2017, 10:30:10 AM »
As far as numbers I have no idea. When I read here that the whole community is worried that sure doesn't sound like just a few involved.
Some of these cases do seem to have involved nitpicking by the prosecutors from what I am hearing. I don't think it is coincidental that soem of the indictments were released and some not.

Also, my point is not whether it made sense for them to do it, but that it was a stupid move on the prosecutor's part to be so explicit about it.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 10:34:02 AM by aygart »

Offline theduke

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: June 30, 2017, 11:06:21 AM »
http://lancasteronline.com/news/local/charged-with-welfare-fraud-in-pennsylvania-including-lancaster-county-residents/article_d2ea7a6e-4f8f-11e7-bd5a-07190d0b7b36.html
This does happen elsewhere but for some reason it doesn't make national news. The lakewood story was in the WSJ, saw it thanks to dansdeals signup...

Offline shaulyaakov

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: June 30, 2017, 11:13:48 AM »
http://lancasteronline.com/news/local/charged-with-welfare-fraud-in-pennsylvania-including-lancaster-county-residents/article_d2ea7a6e-4f8f-11e7-bd5a-07190d0b7b36.html
This does happen elsewhere but for some reason it doesn't make national news. The lakewood story was in the WSJ, saw it thanks to dansdeals signup...
Why would a few thousand a person make national news? You have to admit that something is more newsworthy when each crime is demarcated in $100,000+ increments. Also, odds are, there's not a ring of crime in that case, whixh there most likely is here. Also, part of the WSJ is local tri-state area news.

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #817 on: June 30, 2017, 11:14:37 AM »
Did you consider the scale of the frauds before trying to make your foolish allegation? Next its anti-Semitism,  right?
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline theduke

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: June 30, 2017, 11:16:33 AM »
Did you consider the scale of the frauds before trying to make your foolish allegation? Next its anti-Semitism,  right?
64 individuals seem like a healthy amount.

Offline Toasted

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: June 30, 2017, 11:18:56 AM »
Two wrongs don't make a right. This can be used in a criminal defense. And it has been used successfully before.
Source?

Some of these cases do seem to have involved nitpicking by the prosecutors from what I am hearing. I don't think it is coincidental that soem of the indictments were released and some not.
What do you suspect are in those indictments? Don't they always have to publicize them?