Topic Wiki

No need for spelling corrections to be posted here. Just leave a comment on the main site and we will see it faster.

Thanks DD Moderation team ;)

« Last edited by myi on November 23, 2017, 05:51:17 PM »

Author Topic: Proofread DDMS Posts In Advance...  (Read 175270 times)

Online yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
Re: Proofread DDMS Posts In Advance...
« Reply #720 on: July 20, 2020, 11:17:59 PM »
Didn’t go through the whole thing but what I did notice is that you were using Boston. I’m sure you had a reason but wouldn’t most of your readers benefit from an article about NYC more?
+1. Were you avoiding giving something away? Also, did you also notice BA messing with the taxes every other day on the NYC-LHR route? I've had it vary from $285 in total to $634.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #721 on: July 20, 2020, 11:18:42 PM »
Problem is that on mobile you'll have to horizontally scroll to do that.
EG: https://www.dansdeals.com/blank/236890/
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline YitzyS

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: July 20, 2020, 11:19:39 PM »
Problem is that on mobile you'll have to horizontally scroll to do that.
EG: https://www.dansdeals.com/blank/236890/
Since when is DD sensitive to mobile users?! Ever try DDF on a phone?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #723 on: July 20, 2020, 11:22:16 PM »
Didn’t go through the whole thing but what I did notice is that you were using Boston. I’m sure you had a reason but wouldn’t most of your readers benefit from an article about NYC more?
I was having problems getting AA JFK-LHR flights to show up on BA.com.
Anyone have luck?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: July 20, 2020, 11:23:00 PM »
Since when is DD sensitive to mobile users?! Ever try DDF on a phone?
Exactly, DD is, DDF isn't.
Paging @Suave :D

Offline Mikes@Micro

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: July 20, 2020, 11:50:35 PM »
I would have guessed that is to spark the readers imagination, conditioning him to try different cities. Boston on British is more clearly an example vs NYC would be copy paste itinerary.

Quote or engagement  equals full throated endorsement and vote!
H/t PinchosL

Offline Yo ssi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: July 21, 2020, 12:48:11 AM »
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: July 21, 2020, 01:53:49 AM »
Reworking the post, thanks as always for your feedback :)

Offline mmgfarb

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: July 21, 2020, 04:01:24 AM »
Reworking the post, thanks as always for your feedback :)
Didn't have time to go through the post before, if you post the update here tomorrow I can proofread if you want. Just one thing in general, I don't think you should worry too much about trying to make a post like that 100% reader friendly. You should make sure it's not needlessly confusing but a lot of people are going to be over their heads anyway. I think every once in a while it's fine to make an advanced post that only some readers will be able to fully grasp on the first time around, keeps things interesting for those of us who can sometimes find the dumbing down to be extraneous. At least you haven't resorted to arrows and circles yet so I'll give you that
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: July 21, 2020, 05:36:06 PM »
Lol, guess I scared everyone off.
Lol, bump

Offline Joeymc

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: July 21, 2020, 06:01:17 PM »
Looks amazing. The updated charts are much better and really appreciated.

Didn't go through it thoroughly but didn't notice any glaring mistakes. Great job!

Thanks @Dan
120 characters? Hmm, I wonder what I could write with 64 characters. Boy, it's gonna be hard to use up 15 characters. W-

Offline yungermanchik

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: Previous Signatures: If you chapped hana'ah from a post, like it; You think you know the answers and things are the way they seem.. it just ain't so -The Rebbe from Lublin-
Small people talk about other people.
Average people talk about things
BIG PEOPLE TALK ABOUT IDEAS.

Online yeshivabucher

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Travel Agent, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National EE, Uber VIP, SPG Gold
« Reply #733 on: July 21, 2020, 06:16:37 PM »
iMHO I don't see why chase points are separate row should be combined in cash price

Offline Yo ssi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 60
    • View Profile
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline biobook

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #735 on: July 21, 2020, 07:51:22 PM »
I'm not in the miles parsha, so I'm over my head, to use mmgfarb's whimsical image.  So not commenting on the specifics, but rather on the general essay: 

It seems to be author-centered - I analyzed this, I tabulated that, etc, rather than reader-centered - Here's why you, the reader, should be interested in this.  As it is now, it seems to me that it would be of interest only to someone who wants to travel from Boston to London on the dates given, which is probably a small number of your readers. 

I assume that after doing all this research, you can draw some general conclusions, and those conclusions are what I would expect to see in the introduction, to convince the reader why it's worth reading further.  I'm not sure what those conclusions would be, but perhaps one of these would at least give you an idea:

a. I discovered that there are huge, unpredictable differences when using different miles cards, so expect to spend ___ hours to calculate what will work best for your particular trip.

b. There are relatively trivial differences in using miles for economy fares, so you maybe you should just pay the fare and save the miles for when you want to splurge on Business class.

c. Buying one way tickets often saves you money, but only if you're flying business class.

I don't know if any of these makes sense, but I feel like some generalization like this is needed to make it clear why this should be interesting to anyone who is not flying that particular route on that particular day. 

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #736 on: July 21, 2020, 10:08:38 PM »
It seems to be author-centered - I analyzed this, I tabulated that, etc, rather than reader-centered - Here's why you, the reader, should be interested in this.
-1. Dan is a celebrity. We all sit, star struck, whenever he opens his mouth. Us simple folk would much rather Dan talk in first person than to make it about us.

Offline YitzyS

• View Profile
« Reply #737 on: July 21, 2020, 10:09:48 PM »
I assume that after doing all this research, you can draw some general conclusions, and those conclusions are what I would expect to see in the introduction, to convince the reader why it's worth reading further.  I'm not sure what those conclusions would be, but perhaps one of these would at least give you an idea:

a. I discovered that there are huge, unpredictable differences when using different miles cards, so expect to spend ___ hours to calculate what will work best for your particular trip.

b. There are relatively trivial differences in using miles for economy fares, so you maybe you should just pay the fare and save the miles for when you want to splurge on Business class.

c. Buying one way tickets often saves you money, but only if you're flying business class.

I don't know if any of these makes sense, but I feel like some generalization like this is needed to make it clear why this should be interesting to anyone who is not flying that particular route on that particular day.
On a serious note, +1. I do think that a conclusive recommendation could add a lot to the essay/article/post.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: July 21, 2020, 10:10:14 PM »
I'm not in the miles parsha, so I'm over my head, to use mmgfarb's whimsical image.  So not commenting on the specifics, but rather on the general essay: 

It seems to be author-centered - I analyzed this, I tabulated that, etc, rather than reader-centered - Here's why you, the reader, should be interested in this.  As it is now, it seems to me that it would be of interest only to someone who wants to travel from Boston to London on the dates given, which is probably a small number of your readers. 

Thanks, incorporated some of this, but no patience for a 3rd rewrite on a post that's going to be out in the weeds anyway :)

Offline lcm

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: July 21, 2020, 10:24:07 PM »
On a serious note, +1. I do think that a conclusive recommendation could add a lot to the essay/article/post.
The recommendation is broken down into the prefaces before each chart.