Topic Wiki

No need for spelling corrections to be posted here. Just leave a comment on the main site and we will see it faster.

Thanks DD Moderation team ;)

« Last edited by myi on November 23, 2017, 05:51:17 PM »

Author Topic: Proofread DDMS Posts In Advance...  (Read 175909 times)

Offline lcm

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
Re: Proofread DDMS Posts In Advance...
« Reply #860 on: November 02, 2020, 06:44:23 PM »
Another reason that the UAE wanted to normalize their relations with Israel has emerged.
Replace that with why

Now the UAE will take advantage of it to bypass the Suez Canal and bring their oil to Europe
It's the purpose, should say to
Now the UAE will take advantage of it to bypass the Suez Canal to bring their oil to Europe

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #861 on: November 02, 2020, 06:48:41 PM »
Thanks all, please refresh the post :)
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Yo ssi

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: November 02, 2020, 06:51:15 PM »
Is it really worse?
BUMP
Is the lives lost by the 737 Max, not worse then poor seat quality??
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline ckmk47

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: November 02, 2020, 06:51:56 PM »
Berlin Brandenburg Airport (BER) was supposed to open nearly a decade ago. Germans aren’t knows for being late, let alone a decade late, but everything that could go wrong went wrong.

known
My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline lcm

• View Profile
« Reply #864 on: November 02, 2020, 07:04:46 PM »
calculate the time such as
Add a comma
calculate the time, such as

My parents won a magnum of champagne when they won the game on their Hawaiian honeymoon in the 80s, which they wound up giving to a front desk agent who let them stay in their room until flight time.
Replace the first won with received, it's over over-usage of won.
The sentence is too long.
Try: My parents received a magnum of champagne when they won the game on their Hawaiian honeymoon in the 80s. They wound up giving to a front desk agent who in turn let them stay in their room until flight time.

On the plus side, Alaska and American will get reciprocal elite benefits.
The airlines will?
Do you mean: On the plus side, Alaska and American frequent flyers will get reciprocal elite benefits.

Alaska has dirt cheap mileage rates on some airline partners, but pricey rates on other airline partners.
A bit over-usage of airline partners
Alaska has dirt cheap mileage rates on some airline partners, but pricey rates on others.

United used to announce to use the bathroom in their ticketed cabins, but will amend that to “when possible.”
Make clearer
United used to announce to use the bathroom in you fair cabin, but will amend that and add “when possible.”

means that there will be multiple passengers on each flight that will be denied boarding despite not actually COVID-19.
Missing a part
despite not actually being infected with COVID-19.

intended to avoid pilots needing aircraft training.
What does that mean?
Is it supposed to be:
intended to avoid errors made by pilots needing aircraft training.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 07:29:27 PM by lcm »

Offline Joeymc

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: November 02, 2020, 07:44:26 PM »
but everything that could go wrong went wrong.

You should put a comma before went wrong
120 characters? Hmm, I wonder what I could write with 64 characters. Boy, it's gonna be hard to use up 15 characters. W-

Offline biobook

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: November 02, 2020, 08:37:57 PM »
"President Trump’s position has been that it’s up to each state to set their own rules. I’d assume that will continue should he win reelection. Will Mr. Biden try to implement nationwide restrictions or even a nationwide lockdown if he is elected president? Will the courts even allow for a nationwide lockdown?"

Biden will probably return to the Pandemic Playbook developed by the previous administration and ignored by the current one.  That emphasized that a response should be developed at the federal, state and local levels, with  coordination between them, rather than Trump's requirement that each state go it alone. 

You seem to be suggesting that a nationwide response would entail identical rules throughout the country.  A coordinated response would more likely entail the feds coming up with guidance for when to mask, when to lockdown, etc, and work with the states on how to tailor those guidelines for their particular situation.

"The (Pandemic Playbook) guide further calls for a “unified message” on the federal response, in order to best manage the American public's questions and concerns. “Early coordination of risk communications through a single federal spokesperson is critical,” the playbook urges."
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/25/trump-coronavirus-national-security-council-149285

So following the Playbook, I would expect that rather than "Fire Fauci", we will be hearing regular messages from Dr. Fauci or other respected medical and public health experts.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Joeymc

• View Profile
« Reply #868 on: November 18, 2020, 12:51:03 AM »
win-win-win

3 wins?
120 characters? Hmm, I wonder what I could write with 64 characters. Boy, it's gonna be hard to use up 15 characters. W-

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: November 18, 2020, 12:51:57 AM »
3 wins?
Banks, airlines, consumers.

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #870 on: November 18, 2020, 01:07:52 AM »
The El Al card will earn 1 point for every $40 spent on everyday items and 3 points per dollar for every $40 spent on El Al tickets. Yup, just try to wrap your head around that…

I think you're trying to say they give 3 points per $40, not 3 points per dollar.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: November 18, 2020, 01:11:37 AM »
I think you're trying to say they give 3 points per $40, not 3 points per dollar.
Thanks

Offline Joeymc

• View Profile
« Reply #872 on: November 18, 2020, 01:24:19 AM »
If I were new El Al controlling shareholder Eli Rozenberg I would burn Matmid down to the ground...

Quite a mouthful, maybe something like this.

If I were Eli Rozenberg, El Al's new controlling shareholder, I would burn Matmid down to the ground...

Offline Deal Guy

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: November 18, 2020, 01:25:12 AM »
However going forward only El Al cardholders will have access to that discount due to the end of AMEX point transfers to El Al.

Just pointing out, that the old Has Advantage card from usbank, still transfers to Elal, (after not doing so for a while)

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #874 on: November 18, 2020, 01:51:21 AM »
This may be a very stupid question, because I don't know the mileage game at all, but why don't you just apply a 40x multiplier to figure out comparative value? It makes their program easier to understand, and the lack of value more plain to see.

Card Spend Values:
800 point sign up bonus = 32k points
1/40 point per $ for reg spend = 1 pt/$
3/40 point per $ for El Al spend = 3pts/$

Redemption Values:
Exec NYC-TLV, Econ: 64k-70,400
Exec NYC-TLV, Bus: 204k
Non-exec NYC-TLV, Econ: 80k-88k
Non-exec NYC-TLV, Bus: 240k

Miles Per Flight Cost:
Matmid: 4 pts/$ spent
SL-TP: 5.7 pts/$ spent

Ignore me if this makes no sense.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline biobook

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: November 18, 2020, 03:14:35 AM »
This is the first time I actually (sort of, almost) understood one of these points posts, because I had filled out the Fly Card application a few hours ago for my mother.  I had suggested that she wait, because I knew a fellow who'd probably post some advice about this soon, but I'm not so convincing when I argue for the value of procrastination. 

Now that I read your post, I'm still not sure whether the card was worthwhile.  She uses a Chase card for the ticket, but thought the Fly Card would be a way to quickly get the points needed for an upgraded seat or a more-space seat on ElAl.  Maybe I have to read a few more times to figure this out.  Anyway, a few other thoughts:

Paragraph Unlike most...
Second sentence sounds like business-school-speak ("disincentives"?), while I think your audience is regular people.
Re: Israel.  I would guess that at least some of your readers fly mostly between the US and Israel, so this restriction isn't a hardship for them.  And some have Israeli citizenship and could enter now.  It would be helpful to have your view on whether or not the card is worthwhile for people who fall into those categories (as my mother does).

Next paragraph, on saver level tickets... I don't know what these are, so would be helpful to have definition.  But really I think this paragraph could be omitted. It seems to fall into the category of "things I'm annoyed with ElAl for", and interrupts the train of thought on "what's wrong with this credit card program".

Paragraph But ElAL has announced... Mixing AMEX here and in the next paragraphs is confusing for the novice.  Can you carry on with all the new stuff first "El Al has announced launch of Fly Card", 800 points, $3000, 20% off, etc, that is, give the details of the Fly Card, and then after that, summarize the impact of this on those who've been doing whatever it is with AMEX until now.

Table is clear, but I don't know what "Executives" are.  Or non-Executives, for that matter.

Paragraph You also have to take into account... also seems to interrupt the train of thought with the calculations, and could be omitted here. Maybe put at the end, with the $99 annual fee.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 03:18:08 AM by biobook »

Offline Joeymc

• View Profile
« Reply #876 on: November 18, 2020, 03:40:11 AM »
However going forward only El Al cardholders will have access to that discount
Should be
However, going forward, only El Al cardholders will have access to that discount

Offline Joeymc

• View Profile
« Reply #877 on: November 18, 2020, 03:45:12 AM »
where each point earned is worth 1.5 cents or more each,

The second "each" is extra

ETA JMHO
Maybe take both out and put "every" instead of the first "each"?

Offline Joeymc

• View Profile
« Reply #878 on: November 18, 2020, 03:52:16 AM »
On the El Al card you would need $70,400 in spending for an El Al coach ticket or $204,000 in spending for an El Al business class ticket and you would still need to pony up some $350 in El Al fuel surcharges and taxes.
Should probably break up the sentence.

Also, do you have to say El Al 4 times? Maybe you can take out the last one
and you would still need to pony up some $350 in fuel surcharges and taxes.

Offline lcm

• View Profile
« Reply #879 on: November 18, 2020, 04:09:22 AM »
@Dan only seeing this now.
Can you post what type of feedback you want?
I often pick at sentence structure and commas, and I don't think that's what you necessarily want.