Topic Wiki

No need for spelling corrections to be posted here. Just leave a comment on the main site and we will see it faster.

Thanks DD Moderation team ;)

« Last edited by myi on November 23, 2017, 05:51:17 PM »

Author Topic: Proofread DDMS Posts In Advance...  (Read 172895 times)

Offline mendyt

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Re: Proofread DDMS Posts In Advance...
« Reply #520 on: October 21, 2018, 01:16:24 AM »
@Dan
The Grammarly chrome extension can be very helpful for unnoticed grammar mistakes.

Offline ckmk47

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: October 21, 2018, 01:21:39 AM »
Great idea for a post.  Clear, with terrific information.
"Additional user" in Current signup rules.  vs "Additional Cardholder" in the chart vs "authorized user / AU" in common DDf lingo.
In the chart, Points earned on travel (Airfare, hotels, car rentals, Uber, etc) you only bolded Sapphire Reserve at 3 ppd, not the Ink Preferred.
"It’s always important to check and see if you’ll do better with airline miles/hotel points for a redemption....."  I think the important 'bear in mind' points should be in point form for emphasis and clarity. Athough I see you used point form only for the credit card information.

My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline mmgfarb

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: October 21, 2018, 01:41:54 AM »
1. Might want to mention that some of the spending caps are the same between bonus categories, ie. office supplies and phone/internet bills are both $25k on the IC but it's the same $25k, you don't get $25k for each. In the chart, it seems like they're independent.
2. You might want to make the distinction that while you can transfer UR-UR to multiple AU's, you can only transfer UR-FFN to one of your AU's FFN and then you can never transfer directly to another AU's FFN ever again. Although maybe that's a bit much for this post.
3. "The card offers $300 in annual refunds that post automatically whenever you charge something that is categorized as airfare, Airbnb," Why not just say "anything that is categorized as travel, which includes airfare, etc..?
4. By the CSR- "You’ll get a Priority Pass lounge membership that allows you to bring unlimited guests" it should be two guests.
5. "You’ll get a free Global Entry/Pre-Check membership." You don't really get a free GE membership, the card will rebate the cost of GE/PReCheck once every 4 years if you charge it to the card.
6. "Note: The Sapphire Preferred and Sapphire Reserve’s spending categories are similar, so you’ll only need one of these cards as part of an optimized spending strategy. Personally I prefer the Sapphire Reserve as that card allows you to redeem all of your Chase points (including the points of an authorized user) to be used at a minimum value of 1.5 cents" Add a comma after personally and you don't need the words "to be used," you can just say "redeem all of your Chase points at a minimum value...
7. "Alternatively many people might find a more useful Chase Quinfecta to add a card like the Chase United Explorer card into the mix, this card also carries a $95 annual fee." This sentence is just awkward, maybe say "people might find it more useful to have their Chase Quinfecta include a card like the Chase UE card. This card also carries..." Or something like that.
8. "and they can add each other as authorized users on each other’s cards!" I would repeat "each other" twice, just say "they can each add the other as an AU on their cards."
9. "Additional user consumer cards do count, but you can get them not to count by calling reconsideration if you are rejected for a card." Don't say "you can get them not to count" that just sounds weird, I would say "Consumer AU's (from any card) do cound since they appear on your CR, but if you call recon, you can ask them to overlook them since they are only AU's and you are not responsible for paying the balance."
10. "All Chase cards that earn Ultimate Rewards are subject to 5/24 restrictions. That means it will be hard to get approved" For all intents and purposes, it's impossible to get approved, it's a little misleading to say that it is just hard.
11."Another benefit of the card not reporting on your personal credit report" I would add "benefit of business cards not reporting" I think the way you go about explaining this is a bit awkward. I would rewrite is as follows. "Another benefit... not reporting on your personal credit report, is that your credit score won't be hurt when you spend money on your cards. Then explain how credit utilizatin hurts your credit score.
12. "On an business cards from banks like AMEX and Chase" Drop the "an". "it’s just not reported," I would say "Your credit utilization is't reported,"
13. "The Sapphire Preferred or Ink Preferred card allow you and anyone in your household to transfer Chase points into miles. They also allows you to use points at a value of 1.25 cents each towards travel." Should be just "allow"
14. You really have a Freedom and Ink unlimited? Why?
15. You keep mentioning using household members cards for redemptions or transferring but you never really mention how it works. Since this is supposed to be an all about post, I would mention at least breifly that you have to actually transfer the UR to the specific card or yours or your AU that you want to use for redepmtion or transfer, you don't get the options automatically by having it in your household. Maybe I'm just being nitpiccky here but that's how I see it.
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline Zevi16

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Proofread DDMS Posts In Advance...
« Reply #523 on: October 21, 2018, 09:39:00 AM »
Bump.
In the comparison chart it says that CSR can bring 2 guests in to PP whereas in the paragraphs below it says unlimited.

Also, what else do you do?

‘If you’re like me and you run more than one business you can signup for multiple of the same card for each business to manage each businesses expenses separately.’

Offline ib3

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: October 21, 2018, 10:08:06 AM »
Thanks for a great post.
1. Not sure if this is the same for all phones, but in order to see the entire chart's width I need to flip the phone to landscape.
2. Again while viewing on phone (in landscape mode) I can only see the top  heading of the chart  for the 1st few rows. Since this is a comparison chart between 7 cards it becomes difficult to remember which column is which card. Not sure if this is doable but maybe make something like in Excel where you can freeze top row.

Not sure what percentage of your readers read the posts on smartphone. I'm sure you have that data through your analytics.

Thanks again.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #525 on: October 21, 2018, 10:18:14 AM »
1. Might want to mention that some of the spending caps are the same between bonus categories, ie. office supplies and phone/internet bills are both $25k on the IC but it's the same $25k, you don't get $25k for each. In the chart, it seems like they're independent.
2. You might want to make the distinction that while you can transfer UR-UR to multiple AU's, you can only transfer UR-FFN to one of your AU's FFN and then you can never transfer directly to another AU's FFN ever again. Although maybe that's a bit much for this post.
3. "The card offers $300 in annual refunds that post automatically whenever you charge something that is categorized as airfare, Airbnb," Why not just say "anything that is categorized as travel, which includes airfare, etc..?
4. By the CSR- "You’ll get a Priority Pass lounge membership that allows you to bring unlimited guests" it should be two guests.
5. "You’ll get a free Global Entry/Pre-Check membership." You don't really get a free GE membership, the card will rebate the cost of GE/PReCheck once every 4 years if you charge it to the card.
6. "Note: The Sapphire Preferred and Sapphire Reserve’s spending categories are similar, so you’ll only need one of these cards as part of an optimized spending strategy. Personally I prefer the Sapphire Reserve as that card allows you to redeem all of your Chase points (including the points of an authorized user) to be used at a minimum value of 1.5 cents" Add a comma after personally and you don't need the words "to be used," you can just say "redeem all of your Chase points at a minimum value...
7. "Alternatively many people might find a more useful Chase Quinfecta to add a card like the Chase United Explorer card into the mix, this card also carries a $95 annual fee." This sentence is just awkward, maybe say "people might find it more useful to have their Chase Quinfecta include a card like the Chase UE card. This card also carries..." Or something like that.
8. "and they can add each other as authorized users on each other’s cards!" I would repeat "each other" twice, just say "they can each add the other as an AU on their cards."
9. "Additional user consumer cards do count, but you can get them not to count by calling reconsideration if you are rejected for a card." Don't say "you can get them not to count" that just sounds weird, I would say "Consumer AU's (from any card) do cound since they appear on your CR, but if you call recon, you can ask them to overlook them since they are only AU's and you are not responsible for paying the balance."
10. "All Chase cards that earn Ultimate Rewards are subject to 5/24 restrictions. That means it will be hard to get approved" For all intents and purposes, it's impossible to get approved, it's a little misleading to say that it is just hard.
11."Another benefit of the card not reporting on your personal credit report" I would add "benefit of business cards not reporting" I think the way you go about explaining this is a bit awkward. I would rewrite is as follows. "Another benefit... not reporting on your personal credit report, is that your credit score won't be hurt when you spend money on your cards. Then explain how credit utilizatin hurts your credit score.
12. "On an business cards from banks like AMEX and Chase" Drop the "an". "it’s just not reported," I would say "Your credit utilization is't reported,"
13. "The Sapphire Preferred or Ink Preferred card allow you and anyone in your household to transfer Chase points into miles. They also allows you to use points at a value of 1.25 cents each towards travel." Should be just "allow"
14. You really have a Freedom and Ink unlimited? Why?
15. You keep mentioning using household members cards for redemptions or transferring but you never really mention how it works. Since this is supposed to be an all about post, I would mention at least breifly that you have to actually transfer the UR to the specific card or yours or your AU that you want to use for redepmtion or transfer, you don't get the options automatically by having it in your household. Maybe I'm just being nitpiccky here but that's how I see it.
Awesome, fixed.

Anything else?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline mmgfarb

• View Profile
Proofread DDMS Posts In Advance...
« Reply #526 on: October 21, 2018, 10:19:32 AM »
Awesome, fixed.

Anything else?
I think that was everything I saw.
ETA: Looks pretty good to me. Anytime you want to put me on payroll is good for me, you know where to find me
« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 10:25:52 AM by mmgfarb »
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: October 21, 2018, 10:29:57 AM »
Why would he put you on payroll when you do it for free
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline mmgfarb

• View Profile
« Reply #528 on: October 21, 2018, 10:31:36 AM »
Why would he put you on payroll when you do it for free
Good point, maybe I should stop.

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #529 on: October 21, 2018, 10:35:19 AM »
@Dan
The Grammarly chrome extension can be very helpful for unnoticed grammar mistakes.
+1000000000
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #530 on: October 21, 2018, 11:41:45 AM »
@Dan

Any way to turn it off by default and only check when you request it?
Otherwise it seems really invasive.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #531 on: October 21, 2018, 11:53:17 AM »
Have you tried it and feel that way or only from what you are seeing before trying?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: October 21, 2018, 11:53:55 AM »
Trying it and despise it so far.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #533 on: October 21, 2018, 12:03:12 PM »
Trying it and despise it so far.
I didn't think your grammar was that bad.  :P

Offline Aerial Dag

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: October 21, 2018, 12:04:13 PM »
You can disable extensions in chrome. Just enable it when you want to use it.

Offline ib3

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: October 21, 2018, 12:07:34 PM »
What I do with all chrome extension is create another chrome user browser with all extensions,  and leave the regular browsing one with only minimal extensions. Whenever I want to use one of the extensions I just switch users. Works with keeping separate logins as well, where each browser is logged in with a different user

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: October 21, 2018, 12:08:27 PM »
I guess. Just dumb that there's no option to only check on pages when manually requested.

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #537 on: October 21, 2018, 12:17:18 PM »
I guess. Just dumb that there's no option to only check on pages when manually requested.
It's likely actively managed, just make a request from the developer
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #538 on: October 21, 2018, 12:19:38 PM »
What is it that you find so invasive about it? It is only an underline of what they caught and a small circle in the bottom right?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile