Author Topic: AS devaluation of EK redemptions  (Read 28589 times)

Offline EJB

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
Re: AS devaluation of EK redemptions
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2016, 09:59:06 AM »
I do understand why they aren't announcing it ahead of time. If the goal is to slash EK F redemptions, they would not be doing themselves a favor giving people 2 months to basically book every EK F flight out there.

+1, IMO they don't care about a PR backlash from churners. Had it been a program-wide devaluation that would have significantly impacted loyalists as well, IMO they'd care more about giving notice.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2016, 09:59:21 AM »
What's the current status of YQ when using KE or JL miles for EK?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Emkay

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2016, 09:59:38 AM »
I have a guy in Alaska airline and he confirmed it has nothing to do with them!
And what is his position in AS? Phone Rep?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2016, 10:00:20 AM »
And what is his position in AS? Phone Rep?
Yvette  ;D
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2016, 10:00:36 AM »
I do understand why they aren't announcing it ahead of time. If the goal is to slash EK F redemptions, they would not be doing themselves a favor giving people 2 months to basically book every EK F flight out there.
... Except that the pennies they save devaluing without notice pales in comparison the value lost as a result of pissing off some of your most valuable flyers, not to mention the thousands of people who bought miles over the last few days in order to redeem for EK F.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline EJB

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2016, 10:00:39 AM »
Why would EK care how many miles are used? They're being reimbursed at a set rate, not per mile that you redeemed using AS miles.

They obviously don't care. They may have increased the costs, though. I'm wondering if AS's contract with EK is an April - March contract. That would make sense since IIRC there were availability issues w/ AS around this time last year...

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2016, 10:01:31 AM »
Why would EK care how many miles are used? They're being reimbursed at a set rate, not per mile that you redeemed using AS miles.
No, that's how you *assume* their contract works.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2016, 10:02:02 AM »
No YQ for ex USA for JL.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2016, 10:03:17 AM »
Guess it's gonna be a bit tougher to snag that "railway car" esque first class seat now.

Offline EJB

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2016, 10:04:49 AM »

No YQ for ex USA for JL.

Uh oh, I'm smelling a DDMS post :(. At least JL are harder to accrue.

Offline Aaaron

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2016, 10:06:13 AM »
Reports that they're not allowing any changes to existing ressies either.  Shame, because I have JFK-MXB-DXB-DOH booked and I was waiting for availability on the JFK-DXB direct leg.

Offline benjie1305

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2016, 10:06:44 AM »

JAL doesn’t impose fuel surcharges for Emirates awards originating in the US.
Work hard, Play harder!

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2016, 10:07:52 AM »
And KE doesn't either, correct?

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2016, 10:08:45 AM »
... As if someone booked EK with KE miles. Lol.

Offline EJB

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2016, 10:11:19 AM »
... Except that the pennies they save devaluing without notice pales in comparison the value lost as a result of pissing off some of your most valuable flyers, not to mention the thousands of people who bought miles over the last few days in order to redeem for EK F.

If it were a systemwide devaluation without notice, I'd agree with you, but I don't think this targeted their most valuable flyers. I think it targeted churners.

IMO your last point is a good one. I think people will think twice before purchasing AS miles in the future. AS should offer these people a refund option, but the chances of that happening are slim to none. I honestly think this may have been an oversight by AS.

Offline EJB

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2016, 10:12:26 AM »
... As if someone booked EK with KE miles. Lol.

Possibly for their award holds (assuming they allow on EK flights).

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2016, 10:13:03 AM »
No.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2016, 10:15:17 AM »
If it were a systemwide devaluation without notice, I'd agree with you, but I don't think this targeted their most valuable flyers. I think it targeted churners.

IMO your last point is a good one. I think people will think twice before purchasing AS miles in the future. AS should offer these people a refund option, but the chances of that happening are slim to none. I honestly think this may have been an oversight by AS.

Just because it wasn't a *system wide* devaluation doesn't mean it wasn't a punch in the stomach to people who fly AS 100K+ per year BIS. I fail to see the correlation or on what basis you have to conclude that those people weren't also saving up to fly EK F. Instead of one year if flying, it now takes two.

Offline EJB

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2016, 10:20:09 AM »
Just because it wasn't a *system wide* devaluation doesn't mean it wasn't a punch in the stomach to people who fly AS 100K+ per year BIS. I fail to see the correlation or on what basis you have to conclude that those people weren't also saving up to fly EK F. Instead of one year if flying, it now takes two.

Obviously it'll be a punch in those people's stomachs as well, but I don't think that many of them were saving up to fly EK F compared to how many of the churners were saving up for that redemption. I flew 75k last year on (credited to) AS, and this impacts me significantly, but I think many heavy business travelers are unaware of the EK redemption option altogether. I think removing AA or DL as a redemption partner without notice would impact the typical business traveler more significantly, while that would have less of an impact on us.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2016, 10:23:51 AM »
Wait, you're suggesting it will impact the BIS flyers *less?*

So I earned 1MM+ AS miles in about a half hour in 2015, and they earned 100K in about a year,  and now they'll have fly for *another year*, and it impacts them less?

Just because there are fewer MVPs than churners doesn't mean the effects are less. In point of fact, they are more, as that's where the actual business comes from. (Not to mention even pissing off churners and mileage buyers affects the bottom line as well.)