Author Topic: AS devaluation of EK redemptions  (Read 28560 times)

Offline Aaaron

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: AS devaluation of EK redemptions
« Reply #60 on: March 31, 2016, 12:53:55 PM »
Take with a mountain of salt, but this could explain it. A comment someone made on Lucky's post.

I have seen AS’s agreement with CX and DL. Their agreements do say that the partner airline, NOT Alaska, determines the number of miles required for redemption. Their contracts are NOT the usual alliance partner contracts that fixes a per flown mile reimbursement rate. That’s why they have a different award chart for each partner and you can’t mix them. That’s also why DL awards costs the same for OW and RT travel.

Partner airlines having some control over other’s program is also not unique in the AS program. For example BA’s partners, AS included, charges YQ on all BA awards. This is mandated by BA to make sure their own program doesn’t become uncompetitive for award travel on their own flights. Same reason why DL charges YQ on ex-Europe awards on AF/KL.

I have not seen the EK agreement but there is a possibility that the twitter claim is true.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 31, 2016, 12:57:45 PM »
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #62 on: March 31, 2016, 01:13:04 PM »
Take with a mountain of salt, but this could explain it. A comment someone made on Lucky's post.

Makes sense to me.

No, that's how you *assume* their contract works.

2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline yesitsme83

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 31, 2016, 02:22:55 PM »
... Except that the pennies they save devaluing without notice pales in comparison the value lost as a result of pissing off some of your most valuable flyers, not to mention the thousands of people who bought miles over the last few days in order to redeem for EK F.
I'm curious, do you consider yourself a "valuable customer" of AS?
I'm not sure you realize how hollow it sounds when people racking up miles from cards and spending them to book $25,000 suites in the air complain about how the airlines are disregarding their "valuable customers"?  They do have valuable customers, such as frequent cash paying business travelers, but people "outsmarting the system" by racking up cc miles aren't them.

What they just did affects a tiny minority of their customer base. Most people don't know or care about miles, the ones that do are mostly not aiming that high (as in "I just NEED that first class residence!"), and the ones that are aiming that high are playing shtick and don't bring in a blessed dime to their bottom line.

And don't start arguing with me trying to explain how Alaska WANTS you to do this, and they make LOTS of profit off people like you, because both common sense and the facts say otherwise. If they were making such a killing on people doing this they wouldn't suddenly rack up the mikes required to bake it much more difficult for people.

If you want to do it, that fine. Just don't convince yourself and others that you're doing AS or EK or any airline a favor by doing what you're doing because you're not.

Offline David Smith

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 31, 2016, 02:27:09 PM »
I'm not sure you realize how hollow it sounds when people racking up miles from cards and spending them to book $25,000 suites in the air complain about how the airlines are disregarding their "valuable customers"?  They do have valuable customers, such as frequent cash paying business travelers, but people "outsmarting the system" by racking up cc miles aren't them.

What they just did affects a tiny minority of their customer base. Most people don't know or care about miles, the ones that do are mostly not aiming that high (as in "I just NEED that first class residence!"), and the ones that are aiming that high are playing shtick and don't bring in a blessed dime to their bottom line.

And don't start arguing with me trying to explain how Alaska WANTS you to do this, and they make LOTS of profit off people like you, because both common sense and the facts say otherwise. If they were making such a killing on people doing this they wouldn't suddenly rack up the mikes required to bake it much more difficult for people.

If you want to do it, that fine. Just don't convince yourself and others that you're doing AS or EK or any airline a favor by doing what you're doing because you're not.
Did you read AJK's posts in this thread before commenting?
Congrats on your first post, by the way. ::)
My sincere condolences on your favorite thread being closed.
Who do you think you are fooling? You think you are going to pull a quick one on your Creator? Good luck with that.
JTZ

Offline yesitsme83

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 31, 2016, 02:28:10 PM »
It reminds me of when Dan used to INSIST that churning is profitable for the banks because of blah blah blah (insert all sorts of cheshbonos here). Obviously that defies logic but not everyone is so into that stuff.
Well, oops, doesn't look like that anymore. With the crackdowns going on recently (AMEX, AS, Chase) it's pretty clear, as it should've been from day 1, that they don't like it and that you're not doing them any favors.

So please, do what you want, but check your entitlement at the door. You're not a big shot coming up to them with a check for $25,000. You're someone who gamed their system, and when they find out, they can only be expected to do what they just did.

Offline benjie1305

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 31, 2016, 02:41:54 PM »
ExUSA?

Seems like they collect Q charges even on EX USA routes as per this
Work hard, Play harder!

Offline EJB

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 31, 2016, 02:42:04 PM »

I buy that EK has some control, but not that this was all of a sudden. I can't imagine AS had no idea this was likely coming a month or two ago, and could have at least given its members some notice.

Offline rileywiles23

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 31, 2016, 02:56:04 PM »

Did you specifically create a new username to use solely to bash AJK ?
Life is as good as you make it...

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #69 on: March 31, 2016, 03:10:04 PM »
It reminds me of when Dan used to INSIST that churning is profitable for the banks because of blah blah blah (insert all sorts of cheshbonos here).
{{Citation needed}}
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline EJB

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 31, 2016, 03:13:46 PM »

It's not me  ;D ;D ;D

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #71 on: March 31, 2016, 03:17:21 PM »

Nope.

That was an easy one.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 31, 2016, 03:19:35 PM »
Did you read AJK's posts in this thread before commenting?

Likely not:

Anger and super-sensitivity tends to cause that frothing-at-the-mouth tunnel vision.

LOL, it's flattering.

Offline benjie1305

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 31, 2016, 03:22:59 PM »
We are not bringing the Epstein Saga into this. Pleeeaaaaasssseeeee.  :)
Work hard, Play harder!

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 31, 2016, 03:24:46 PM »
We are not bringing the Epstein Saga into this. Pleeeaaaaasssseeeee.  :)

OK, I will no longer feed the troll, except substantively :P

Offline David Smith

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
Who do you think you are fooling? You think you are going to pull a quick one on your Creator? Good luck with that.
JTZ

Offline yesitsme83

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 31, 2016, 03:42:24 PM »
{{Citation needed}}
Oh please.
It flows out of every statement you've ever made, to give just a few examples:
1. your phone interview a few months ago (forget with who, was mentioned somewhere on the forums) in which you insisted that this whole business is " a win win situation" for both parties and so it's not going anywhere (which it clearly is-it's disappearing fast).
2. Your refusal, in the AMEX prediction thread, to acknowledge that churning is bad for the banks and that the fact that AMEX stopped if clearly reflects that.
(Is that thread even still here btw? Seems to have conveniently disappeared...)
3. Your sense of entitlement evident in your recent spat with AA on Twitter (in which, the loyal customer, was upset about how AA treated you after you flew for free from card points).

And countless others. It's only quite recently when you've begun to recognize the writing on the wall. Until now it's always been "when one thing closes, another opens", "that is the nature of this business", etc., a notion clearly not grounded in reality, as it's far worse now than it's ever been, and you now it.

I do hand it to you, however, that you do seem to have woken up in the past 2-3 months. Even AJK is discussing here about how disheartening the situation has become.

Offline yesitsme83

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 31, 2016, 03:44:10 PM »
{{Citation needed}}
You know full well your opinions on how bad it is and how quickly it's getting worse have changed. You can just admit that you were wrong, that the backs don't like what you're doing, that you're not good customers, and well move on.

Online cholent

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 31, 2016, 03:56:33 PM »
You know full well your opinions on how bad it is and how quickly it's getting worse have changed. You can just admit that you were wrong, that the backs don't like what you're doing, that you're not good customers, and well move on.
There's a world of difference between acknowledging that things are going downhill and saying that churning is good for banks. In fact, I struggle to understand the connection
Don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers

Offline EJB

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 31, 2016, 03:57:47 PM »
Lol, I'm waiting for when Dan reveals who this troll is :)

:popcorn: