Author Topic: AS devaluation of EK redemptions  (Read 28573 times)

Offline David Smith

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
Re: AS devaluation of EK redemptions
« Reply #100 on: March 31, 2016, 05:35:45 PM »
Easy to change ip addresses, question is if a person with such an attitude is likely to do that, especially since there seems to be a consensus that he would be easily detected based on other factors. I seem to doubt he bothered to cover his tracks with a different ip address. I've not been here long enough to actually know the guy.
It's unlikely that he has the same ip address as he had in September, even without actively changing it to hide his tracks.
Who do you think you are fooling? You think you are going to pull a quick one on your Creator? Good luck with that.
JTZ

Offline Aerial Dag

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 31, 2016, 05:40:43 PM »
And countless others. It's only quite recently when you've begun to recognize the writing on the wall. Until now it's always been "when one thing closes, another opens", "that is the nature of this business", etc., a notion clearly not grounded in reality, as it's far worse now than it's ever been, and you now it.

Those comments used to bother me too but honestly he's got a business to run, gotta keep things positive. I don't think he actually believed it would continue indefinitely. We all knew the ease at which we were able to accumulate miles would end, especially as more and more people joined the game.

Offline chucksterace

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 40
    • View Profile
    • LYNX IT Consulting
  • Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA Premier 1K; ; LY Plat; Hyatt Platinum; Hertz President's Circle; Avis President's Club
« Reply #102 on: March 31, 2016, 06:18:06 PM »
https://blog.alaskaair.com/emirates-redemptions/

"With the rise of “travel-hacking,” intended to exploit Mileage Plan’s award routing rules, coupled with below-market award levels, our previous award levels were unsustainable."
You may not hold me responsible for any actions taken that were recommended from my account or username.

Offline benjie1305

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 31, 2016, 06:20:21 PM »
Interesting to openly say "it's because of you BOA Churners."

I'm waiting for "AJ" to come and blame Dan because he introduced 12BM in seminars. Lol.
Work hard, Play harder!

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #104 on: March 31, 2016, 06:21:08 PM »

"With the rise of “travel-hacking,” intended to exploit Mileage Plan’s award routing rules, coupled with below-market award levels, our previous award levels were unsustainable."
Weak sauce. No explanation of lack of notice.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #105 on: March 31, 2016, 06:22:34 PM »
Interesting to openly say "it's because of you BOA Churners."

I'm waiting for "AJ" to come and blame Dan because he introduced 12BM in seminars. Lol.
Huh?
More like placing the blame on Sam Huang.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 06:29:58 PM by Dan »
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #106 on: March 31, 2016, 06:32:52 PM »
Weak sauce. No explanation of lack of notice.

That is precisely why I believe AS was constrained by EK in this instance.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline benjie1305

• View Profile
AS devaluation of EK redemptions
« Reply #107 on: March 31, 2016, 06:34:18 PM »
Here is my scenario:

Imagine AS was the only program to book EK F with and AJK had to go to Hong Kong and had never tried EK F before but has tried all other airlines flying to HKG.

Would he "suck it up" and book EK F OW for 180k to feed his love of trying all premium cabins or would he save it in order to redeem for close to 3x on CX F.

Work hard, Play harder!

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 31, 2016, 06:36:27 PM »
That is precisely why I believe AS was constrained by EK in this instance.
More likely EK told them their reimbursement rates are doubling and AS didn't want to swallow the pain for 30 days.

Regardless, how are they promising notice in the future? Why can't EK pull the rug out again?

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #109 on: March 31, 2016, 06:46:50 PM »
More likely EK told them their reimbursement rates are doubling and AS didn't want to swallow the pain for 30 days.

Perhaps.

Regardless, how are they promising notice in the future? Why can't EK pull the rug out again?

I don't think you're reading closely enough.

2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 31, 2016, 06:47:27 PM »
Here is my scenario:

Imagine AS was the only program to book EK F with and AJK had to go to Hong Kong and had never tried EK F before but has tried all other airlines flying to HKG.

Would he "suck it up" and book EK F OW for 180k to feed his love of trying all premium cabins or would he save it in order to redeem for close to 3x on CX F.

Easy. Redeem for EK F.

Offline David Smith

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 31, 2016, 06:52:59 PM »

Wow.
I think they did a great job in this post.
Who do you think you are fooling? You think you are going to pull a quick one on your Creator? Good luck with that.
JTZ

Offline ilherman

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 31, 2016, 07:18:05 PM »

Give me a break. Because of some travel hackers I will have to pay 180k AS for a OW to Europe  :o :o :o :o

When UA started charging 110k for LH F to Europe we thought that it was the end of the world. This brings "Chutzpah" to a WHOLE new level. And STILL no excuse as to why there was no notice. There was enough heat to make them promise giving notice in the future but obviously their ego did not allow them to say we made a mistake. At least they had the decency not to lie that it has nothing to do with them and blame it on EK.
You can say what you think when you think what you say.

Offline Aaaron

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 31, 2016, 08:02:47 PM »
Who are we kidding? We all know why there was no notice - there would have been a rush of bookings, reserving every award seat for their entire available calendar.

And if they would have expected limited the number of award seats they would have been called out on that as well.

Offline EJB

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 31, 2016, 08:09:59 PM »
Give me a break. Because of some travel hackers I will have to pay 180k AS for a OW to Europe  :o :o :o :o

When UA started charging 110k for LH F to Europe we thought that it was the end of the world. This brings "Chutzpah" to a WHOLE new level. And STILL no excuse as to why there was no notice. There was enough heat to make them promise giving notice in the future but obviously their ego did not allow them to say we made a mistake. At least they had the decency not to lie that it has nothing to do with them and blame it on EK.

They might consider you a travel hacker

Offline Aaaron

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 31, 2016, 08:45:04 PM »
These people are thick...

Offline shmoe joe

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 31, 2016, 09:21:09 PM »
I asked my guy about this https://t.co/T1YRDrV2wn/s/Q6g5 he said this is just a spin because EK didn't like Everybody knowing that they're at fault!
give some love (likes) to a brother!

Offline ilherman

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 31, 2016, 10:35:49 PM »
I asked my guy about this https://t.co/T1YRDrV2wn/s/Q6g5 he said this is just a spin because EK didn't like Everybody knowing that they're at fault!
ROTFL.

This sounds like something we had in pre school.

I am done with your guy for now. He either has no idea what's flying or he is just playing games with you.
You can say what you think when you think what you say.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 31, 2016, 10:46:11 PM »
ROTFL.

This sounds like something we had in pre school.

I am done with your guy for now. He either has no idea what's flying or he is just playing games with you.

Disagree.

What other airline would have either bothered with such a blog post? None. It's rather clear there are other forces at play here.

Offline EJB

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 31, 2016, 10:53:17 PM »
Disagree.

What other airline would have either bothered with such a blog post? None. It's rather clear there are other forces at play here.

You don't see any other reasons why the head of loyalty wrote a blog post, giving the negative reaction this particular devaluation received, particularly due to it happening with no advanced notice??? Perhaps they wanted to do damage control and highlight:
1. We are committed to keeping our program as a competitive advantage
2. We plan on giving notice for future devaluations
3. If you bought miles recently, we'll give you a refund