Author Topic: AS devaluation of EK redemptions  (Read 28585 times)

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
Re: AS devaluation of EK redemptions
« Reply #120 on: March 31, 2016, 10:58:31 PM »
Wow, I must say, you're beginning to make DDF a pretty unenjoyable place.

ilherman, PM me if you want to chat, I don't have the energy for EJB tonight.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline David Smith

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 31, 2016, 11:00:53 PM »

You don't see any other reasons why the head of loyalty wrote a blog post, giving the negative reaction this particular devaluation received, particularly due to it happening with no advanced notice??? Perhaps they wanted to do damage control and highlight:
1. We are committed to keeping our program as a competitive advantage
2. We plan on giving notice for future devaluations
3. If you bought miles recently, we'll give you a refund

And one more point the blog post mentioned:
4. It's the churners that screwed you; our loyal customers; over, not us.
Who do you think you are fooling? You think you are going to pull a quick one on your Creator? Good luck with that.
JTZ

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #122 on: March 31, 2016, 11:03:11 PM »
Wow.
I think they did a great job in this post.

My thoughts exactly.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline CS91

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 31, 2016, 11:03:28 PM »
Wow, I must say, you're beginning to make DDF a pretty unenjoyable place.

ilherman, PM me if you want to chat, I don't have the energy for EJB tonight.
You guys need to go to therapy.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 31, 2016, 11:04:04 PM »
You guys need to go to therapy.

No thanks. I'd rather <gasp> put him on my ignore list.

Offline CS91

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 31, 2016, 11:09:23 PM »
No thanks. I'd rather <gasp> put him on my ignore list.
Don't think I'm the only one that would love to see this list that you speak of.  ::)

Offline shmoe joe

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 31, 2016, 11:28:01 PM »
ROTFL.

This sounds like something we had in pre school.

I am done with your guy for now. He either has no idea what's flying or he is just playing games with you.
I have no problem if your done with my contact, but I really don't think he's playing with me he speaks to me like a brother and he never heard of DDF so he doesn't know that I'm posting all this he's not trying to make damage control via DDF, and honestly the reason if they stopped it because of t"travel hackers" y do it so sudden! Anyway as long as I'm getting my perks for being his buddy ill stay he's buddy!
give some love (likes) to a brother!

Offline CS91

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 31, 2016, 11:32:48 PM »
I have no problem if your done with my contact, but I really don't think he's playing with me he speaks to me like a brother and he never heard of DDF so he doesn't know that I'm posting all this he's not trying to make damage control via DDF, and honestly the reason if they stopped it because of t"travel hackers" y do it so sudden! Anyway as long as I'm getting my perks for being his buddy ill stay he's buddy!
He's Jewish and works for an airline, but he's never heard of DDF?  ???

Offline shmoe joe

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 31, 2016, 11:40:49 PM »
He's Jewish and works for an airline, but he's never heard of DDF?  ???
just the opposite because he works for an airline he doesn't need DDF to get around life!:) besides before we met he never kept any yidishkeit, I know the first thing I learnt with him should've been DDF part of yidishkeit:P
give some love (likes) to a brother!

Offline ilherman

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 01, 2016, 12:04:41 AM »
Disagree.

What other airline would have either bothered with such a blog post? None. It's rather clear there are other forces at play here.
You don't see any other reasons why the head of loyalty wrote a blog post, giving the negative reaction this particular devaluation received, particularly due to it happening with no advanced notice??? Perhaps they wanted to do damage control and highlight:
1. We are committed to keeping our program as a competitive advantage
2. We plan on giving notice for future devaluations
3. If you bought miles recently, we'll give you a refund
What ^ said. Of course they had to do something to cover the damage.

AJ, you think that the following happened today in Alaska's HQ?

9:00 AM: Hi, this is Ibrahim from Emirates, I would like to inform you that we decided that you need to raise your award pricing for our airline and the changes will be as follows. NA-EU 180K for a one way in F instead of 100k, there are more changes, I will email you everything soon. The changes need to take place 10 minutes after you get my email with the final prices. Have a good day.

9:05: Alaska calls an emergency meeting for the IT teem and who not to make the update as quickly as possible.

9:20: All the updates are in place.

10:00: The Alaska HQs starting to get tweets, emails, phone calls from panicked members as to what happened, they answer everyone, sorry it was Emirates who forced us into it.

12:00 PM: The phone rings at Alaska. AS: Hello.
EK: Hi this is Ibrahim again.
AS: Hi.
EK: (in an angry tone) Don't tell me hi now! Why you guys make us look so bad! Why you tell everyone that it is our fault. I warn you. Allahu Akbar.

12:05: AS calls an emergency meeting once again and orders EVERYONE to change the version of the story and tell everyone that IT IS NOT EKs fault. It was due to travel hackers.

12:10 Without thinking too much if the new reason makes sense, AS changes the story, writes up a blog post and yalla.

Or AJ wait for my next post to what happened and you will get to decide as to what really happened.
You can say what you think when you think what you say.

Offline Matovu

• View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond,
« Reply #130 on: April 01, 2016, 12:13:57 AM »
^
Hillarious...

Offline tzifanya54

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 01, 2016, 12:16:01 AM »
Disagree.

What other airline would have either bothered with such a blog post? None. It's rather clear there are other forces at play here.
So then why start with the whole travel hacking business. If their hand was being twisted, why not milk that angle for all its worth?

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #132 on: April 01, 2016, 12:16:51 AM »
Holding our breath for the next chapter of the story...ilherman you should seriously consider a career change. Writing seems right up your alley.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline David Smith

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 01, 2016, 12:19:27 AM »
Why isn't this thread in JS yet?
Who do you think you are fooling? You think you are going to pull a quick one on your Creator? Good luck with that.
JTZ

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 01, 2016, 12:22:22 AM »
So then why start with the whole travel hacking business. If their hand was being twisted, why not milk that angle for all its worth?
How does that explain the lack of notice?

Offline ilherman

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: April 01, 2016, 12:24:33 AM »
What ^ said. Of course they had to do something to cover the damage.

AJ, you think that the following happened today in Alaska's HQ?

9:00 AM: Hi, this is Ibrahim from Emirates, I would like to inform you that we decided that you need to raise your award pricing for our airline and the changes will be as follows. NA-EU 180K for a one way in F instead of 100k, there are more changes, I will email you everything soon. The changes need to take place 10 minutes after you get my email with the final prices. Have a good day.

9:05: Alaska calls an emergency meeting for the IT teem and who not to make the update as quickly as possible.

9:20: All the updates are in place.

10:00: The Alaska HQs starting to get tweets, emails, phone calls from panicked members as to what happened, they answer everyone, sorry it was Emirates who forced us into it.

12:00 PM: The phone rings at Alaska. AS: Hello.
EK: Hi this is Ibrahim again.
AS: Hi.
EK: (in an angry tone) Don't tell me hi now! Why you guys make us look so bad! Why you tell everyone that it is our fault. I warn you. Allahu Akbar.

12:05: AS calls an emergency meeting once again and orders EVERYONE to change the version of the story and tell everyone that IT IS NOT EKs fault. It was due to travel hackers.

12:10 Without thinking too much if the new reason makes sense, AS changes the story, writes up a blog post and yalla.

Or AJ wait for my next post to what happened and you will get to decide as to what really happened.
Or.

Two days ago Some number-cruncher at Alaska noticed how popular Emirates first class redemption's were, and decided that they could get away with higher pricing and the person responsible for implementing it was someone who didn’t realize that no notice changes especially piss off customers.

So without bothering to inform anyone they implanted the changes and set that everything should go into place Mar 31.

Mar 31 in the morning, AS is being caught in a complete shock. They never thought that is going to happen. They are being attacked by every single blogger under the sun.

Wow, we gotta do something says dumb Yevette or whatever her fu^*in name is. Oh I have a great great plan. We will blame it on Emirates. Everyone in the room - cheering!

An hour later, someone a little smarter in AS sees what is going on and wants to fire Yevete, you dumbbell he scream on her, you can write crap when you close people's accounts but not something that will be on every blog! Lucky and Gary know better than that! They know how the system works! We will look like UA looked after they   lied about who pulled SQ award space 

Quickly he makes sure everyone pulls back from this non sense. Types up a blog post which looks a little professional and yalla!
You can say what you think when you think what you say.

Offline EJB

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 01, 2016, 12:25:01 AM »
Why isn't this thread in JS yet?

It should have been moved the moment aj (lowercase) came back.

Offline tzifanya54

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 01, 2016, 12:25:27 AM »
How does that explain the lack of notice?
If they were going with that angle, let them just say whatever other forces were at play didn't give them any notice.

Offline EJB

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 01, 2016, 12:29:16 AM »
Or.

Two days ago Some number-cruncher at Alaska noticed how popular Emirates first class redemption's were, and decided that they could get away with higher pricing and the person responsible for implementing it was someone who didn’t realize that no notice changes especially piss off customers.

Things like this take longer than two days. Last program restructuring I worked on took a year from start to finish, and it wasn't major, though obviously these circumstances and the specific change r much different than that of a typical deval.

Offline tzifanya54

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 01, 2016, 12:29:39 AM »
Or.

So without bothering to inform anyone they implanted the changes and set that everything should go into place Mar 31.

Mar 31 in the morning, AS is being caught in a complete shock. They never thought that is going to happen. They are being attacked by every single blogger under the sun.

Wow, we gotta do something says dumb Yevette or whatever her fu^*in name is. Oh I have a great great plan. We will blame it on Emirates. Everyone in the room - cheering!

An hour later, someone a little smarter in AS sees what is going on and wants to fire Yevete, you dumbbell he scream on her, you can write crap when you close people's accounts but not something that will be on every blog! Lucky and Gary know better than that! They know how the system works! We will look like UA looked after they   lied about who pulled SQ award space 

Quickly he makes sure everyone pulls back from this non sense. Types up a blog post which looks a little professional and yalla!
ALOL. The only problem with your theory is that it's a pretty big oversight to not know that: "no notice changes especially piss off customers."