Author Topic: Mr and Mrs zow's Stamford Shabbos Mini TR  (Read 2185 times)

Offline zow

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
Mr and Mrs zow's Stamford Shabbos Mini TR
« on: April 03, 2016, 02:03:22 PM »
We grabbed PointsBreaks at the Stamford Crowne Plaza for last weekend and an upcoming weekend. Can't beat $35/night.

Arrived Friday afternoon about 2h before Shabbat. Immediate impression: tons of Yiddim. Turns out , there was a Yachad (GIYF) Northeast Family Shabbaton.  Must have been over 100 families, maybe 200, varying degrees of frum and varying degrees of disability.  They had a Shabbos elevator and separate times for men and women in the pool. And the whole common area atrium was consumed by Yahad. This was a great coincidence. I didn't realize on Friday night that i could daven with them, but I realized it later and useful for Shabbat Mincha and maariv motsei Shabbos.

Room was a standard room. King plus sofa bed. Curiously there was no coffee table, which would have been useful for our in-room dining (BYOK) but we improvised. Folding luggage rack with plastic trays on top was fine.

We got everything ready for Shabbos, including our hot plate (yes, am aware of safety issues). DW went downstairs and benched licht -- said there must have been about 200 pairs of candles set up. Food was heating while I was davening b'yachid. DW had prepared some awesome dinner for the two of us-- challah rolls, chicken, asparagus, fruited rice, banana cake, and a nice Cab.

Slept in, walked two miles to Chabad in the rain. Got there around 10:30--called for 9:30--and no minyan until almost 11. But it was haimish and the Shaliach Rabbi Moshe Shemtov and the Rebbetzin were wonderful. Funny and warm, genuinely glad to have us with them.  Kiddush lunch was delicious. DW and I sat next to each other, only soon to realize that men and women were separated.  But no one at all seemed to care or made us feel awk. Cholent was more like a stew-- delicious. Enjoyed our conversations.  Learned that I really do need to visit the Ohel....

Much nicer walk back in the sun. Lazy Shabbos afternoon. Found no one at the front desk but did find housekeeping supervisor and told her we needed assistance to enter our room. I had keys (Eruv up). She said no prob. Someone would meet us at our room. We went up ((Shabbos elevator) and housekeeping guy let us in.

I davened Mincha and maariv with the Yachad kahal. We had reservations at Soosh but cancelled, as by 9pm it felt too late for us old fogies to go out to dinner. 

Sunday morning worked out -- decent fitness center. A little worn/tired but I have seen much worse. Check out was easy. $10/night parking. We will be back IYH very soon!

Ps guy at the Chabad said that the CP has Jewish convention almost every week.

Offline yitrap

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Mr and Mrs zow's Stamford Shabbos Mini TR
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2016, 08:42:31 PM »
So there was no charge for the Shabbos key?

Offline zow

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 11:18:03 AM »
So there was no charge for the Shabbos key?
Correct. I didn't get a Shabbos key. I didn't ask for it.  The housekeeper used my keycard to let us in.

Offline shmoe joe

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2016, 11:39:29 AM »
Wow the Zow's rock! Do they let hot plates? I once had a different hotel that room service unplugged it!
give some love (likes) to a brother!

Online mochjas

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 123
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, AA EX PLAT, Jetblue Mosaic, Qatar Gold, United Silver
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2016, 11:54:27 AM »
Wow the Zow's rock! Do they let hot plates? I once had a different hotel that room service unplugged it!
thats why you should put the do not disturb on the door

Offline tzifanya54

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2016, 03:04:43 PM »
thats why you should put the do not disturb on the door
+1
Not to mention the Halacha issues of having them in your room by themselves with non sealed meats/chicken...

Offline Luvtotravel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2016, 03:14:56 PM »
+1
Not to mention the Halacha issues of having them in your room by themselves with non sealed meats/chicken...
that. always my fear
Don't wait for the perfect moment; take the moment and make it perfect.