Author Topic: Chasing Cherry Blossoms - Tokyo March 2016 - UA 777 Y & 787 J  (Read 7900 times)

Offline reverted

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United, Hyatt, Marriott
TABLE OF CONTENTS

Part 1 – Japan Trip Planning
Part 2 – LAS Centurion Lounge & LAS-SFO via United 737 First
Part 3 – SFO Centurion Lounge & SFO-HND via United 777 Economy
Part 4 – Tokyo Tales Day 1 – Yasukuni, Tsukemen, Ueno & Ikebukuro
Part 5 – Tokyo Tales Day 2 – Tokyo DisneySea
Part 6 – Tokyo Tales Day 3 – Tsukiji, Ginza & Asakusa
Part 7 – Tokyo Tales Day 4 – Harajuku, Shinjuku Gyoen & Cherry Blossom goodness
Part 8 – Tokyo Tales Day 5 – Nikko, Nikko, and more Nikko
Part 9 – Lounging and shopping at NRT
Part 10 – NRT-LAX-LAS via United 787 Business

Full write up can be found: HERE

INTRODUCTION

So back in February, I was able to hop on the low fares on UA to Tokyo. Some of the fares were going as low as $440 but since I was leaving from LAS instead, mine ended up being $550, which I will still call a steal!

I managed to I found an entire week in March that I did not have to be in school (read: able to skip class) and the decision to jet off for a spring Japan trip was pretty simple! (Made even easier with the fact that I would be there during cherry blossom season!!) Being in Japan during sakura season has been one of my all-time travel bucket lists and low and behold!

FLIGHTS

The plan looked a little something like this:

LAS - SFO - UA 737-900 F
SFO - HND - UA 777-200 Y

NRT - LAX - UA 787-9 J
LAX - LAS - UA 737-900 F

I was particularly excited to be flying back on the Dreamliner, my very first flight on one!

I used a mileage upgrade (with miraculous availability) for the return flight and was CPU'd on the very first flight to SFO.

WHERE TO STAY

As soon as tickets were booked and seats were selected, the next major hurdle came into view. Where should I stay in Tokyo? It is arguably one of the busiest times to visit Japan and hotel prices definitely reflected that. Since I would be traveling with two other companions, finding a hotel that could accommodate 3 people in a room and not be outrageously priced was difficult, if not impossible.

We settled on an Airbnb. My only stipulation is that it needed to be close to train station. Most people, hopefully, can contest that this is a very important thing to consider if you are traveling around Tokyo. Being far away from a train station can really suck, especially after a long day of walking and exploring Tokyo.

Here's some pics of the the quiet area we ended up staying at. It was a 5 minute away from Ebisu Station!

PLANNING AND BUDGETING

Despite popular belief, and thank whatever higher power you may believe in, Japan/Tokyo is pretty affordable. This is coming from a medical student in mountain-loads of student debt. Plan your meals smart and your attractions in an efficient manner to utilize the train/public transportation.

Having been to Tokyo just 2 years ago, this trip would be a little mix of things done last trip as well as a good mix of brand spanking new experiences!

So 1.5 days of air travel, 5.5 days in Tokyo, and 906 photos later, here I go with my Japan trip of March 2016! Enjoy!

Check out the full writeup/blog post for some preview pictures including gratuitous cherry blossomsHERE

Offline Myccrabbi

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
Re: Chasing Cherry Blossoms - Tokyo March 2016 - UA 777 Y & 787 J
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 07:00:58 PM »
TABLE OF CONTENTS

Part 1 – Japan Trip Planning
Part 4 – Tokyo Tales Day 1 – Yasukuni, Tsukemen, Ueno & Ikebukuro
Part 5 – Tokyo Tales Day 2 – Tokyo DisneySea
Part 6 – Tokyo Tales Day 3 – Tsukiji, Ginza & Asakusa
Part 7 – Tokyo Tales Day 4 – Harajuku, Shinjuku Gyoen & Cherry Blossom goodness
Part 8 – Tokyo Tales Day 5 – Nikko, Nikko, and more Nikko
Part 9 – Lounging and shopping at NRT
Part 10 – NRT-LAX-LAS via United 787 Business

Full write up can be found: HERE

INTRODUCTION

So back in February, I was able to hop on the low fares on UA to Tokyo. Some of the fares were going as low as $440 but since I was leaving from LAS instead, mine ended up being $550, which I will still call a steal!

I managed to I found an entire week in March that I did not have to be in school (read: able to skip class) and the decision to jet off for a spring Japan trip was pretty simple! (Made even easier with the fact that I would be there during cherry blossom season!!) Being in Japan during sakura season has been one of my all-time travel bucket lists and low and behold!

FLIGHTS

The plan looked a little something like this:

LAS - SFO - UA 737-900 F
SFO - HND - UA 777-200 Y

NRT - LAX - UA 787-9 J
LAX - LAS - UA 737-900 F

I was particularly excited to be flying back on the Dreamliner, my very first flight on one!

I used a mileage upgrade (with miraculous availability) for the return flight and was CPU'd on the very first flight to SFO.

WHERE TO STAY

As soon as tickets were booked and seats were selected, the next major hurdle came into view. Where should I stay in Tokyo? It is arguably one of the busiest times to visit Japan and hotel prices definitely reflected that. Since I would be traveling with two other companions, finding a hotel that could accommodate 3 people in a room and not be outrageously priced was difficult, if not impossible.

We settled on an Airbnb. My only stipulation is that it needed to be close to train station. Most people, hopefully, can contest that this is a very important thing to consider if you are traveling around Tokyo. Being far away from a train station can really suck, especially after a long day of walking and exploring Tokyo.

Here's some pics of the the quiet area we ended up staying at. It was a 5 minute away from Ebisu Station!

PLANNING AND BUDGETING

Despite popular belief, and thank whatever higher power you may believe in, Japan/Tokyo is pretty affordable. This is coming from a medical student in mountain-loads of student debt. Plan your meals smart and your attractions in an efficient manner to utilize the train/public transportation.

Having been to Tokyo just 2 years ago, this trip would be a little mix of things done last trip as well as a good mix of brand spanking new experiences!

So 1.5 days of air travel, 5.5 days in Tokyo, and 906 photos later, here I go with my Japan trip of March 2016! Enjoy!

Check out the full writeup/blog post for some preview pictures including gratuitous cherry blossomsHERE
Sorry buddy, but there are rules here...

http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=31.msg238.msg#238
If u work for a living, why kill urself working?

Offline reverted

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 07:03:51 PM »
Sorry buddy, but there are rules here...

http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=31.msg238.msg#238

Sorry, new here. So I can't link to my blog/competing site? Is that the hang up?

Offline Denverite

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 12:02:37 AM »
Sorry, new here. So I can't link to my blog/competing site? Is that the hang up?

Yup.

Offline reverted

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2016, 12:31:33 AM »
Yup.

Thanks! Notified mods. Will continue the rest of the report as planned.

Offline yakrot

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2016, 12:52:55 AM »
Waiting to read the rest here on ddf...

Offline reverted

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2016, 12:28:50 PM »
Before taking off to San Francisco for our connecting flight to Tokyo, a quick stop at the LAS Centurion Lounge was in order to really kick off vacation and relax for a bit!

The lounge is located in Terminal 3 at the D Gates across from D1. There is some signage directing you to the lounge. And the entrance is pretty obvious.

The signature living wall and AMEX logo

Stepping into the lounge, you are taken into a beautifully decorated space that makes you question whether you are still at the airport or not.  There was a good amount of seating when we arrived (3pm on a Tuesday) but I can definitely see this lounge crowding up if we were flying during a busier time.

There were many power outlet options also available (that I could see) throughout the lounge.

Now the food and drink! I was so impressed by the spread here. It certainly blows any US airline lounge I’ve been in out of the water in terms of quality and options. There were two kinds of soup, sandwiches, some side dishes, a salad bar and several dessert options!

Buffet spread

Alcohol spread

The bar had a nice selection suitable for everyone's taste in libations. There was a signature cocktail menu as well that you can find HERE.

The WiFi connection at the lounge was good and fast. Fast enough that I managed to catch up on some Netflix while sipping on my champagne. :D

Quick shot of the view before leaving

Overall I had a wonderful time and am surprised how much I enjoyed myself compared to other domestic lounges. It's a great place to kill time during a connection or before your flight and I would purposely get to the airport a tad bit earlier just to spend some time in here again!

Alas it was T-40 until our flight to SFO and we had to bid adieu to the Centurion Lounge and start the journey to Japan!

The flight to SFO was pretty exciting for me, at T-24 hours. After checking into our itinerary, I received an email saying me and my companion both got upgraded ala CPU for the short hop to SF! First CPU as a UA Silver! :)

Nice way to kick off vacation in First, no matter how short :P

The flight itself was on a 737-900 and was nothing amazing. Short and efficient, which I can not complain about!

Quick picture before pushing back

Wonderful view flying over snow-capped mountains!

Before we knew it, we were in San Francisco! Now the journey had just begun and the real monster was yet to come, 11 hours to Tokyo! Stay tuned for the next installment!

Offline mgoldhammer18

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: American Airlines, Citi thank you, British Avios, Hilton, SPG, AMEX Platinum, Jetblue
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2016, 03:45:24 PM »
Very nice, keep it coming.

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2016, 08:26:01 PM »
Thanks! Notified mods. Will continue the rest of the report as planned.
I think the ddf police care more than the mods

Nice report
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline ual902

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2016, 11:00:01 PM »
Very nice report thanks for sharing.

Offline reverted

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2016, 02:00:50 PM »
After a short hop over from Las Vegas, the plane landed early at SFO and so there was time for a little exploring and of course, a lounge visit! We would be flying out of the international terminal of SFO and low and behold what was on the way to out gate? The SFO AMEX Centurion lounge! Quick visit but why not.

The SFO Centurion Lounge is located near gate 74 and lucky for us, this is pretty darn close to where our flight arrived. The lounge is open from 5AM – 11PM daily.

The entrance is pretty hard to miss as you can see. With the signature living wall like we saw at the LAS Centurion Lounge and nicely marked signs. The check-in desk is actually situated on the second level with the rest of the lounge. The agent actually could see that we had just visited the LAS lounge and pointed out a few things that make the SFO Centurion Lounge special.

The agent noted the extensive wine collection at the lounge and the wine tasting that's available at the bar. You get a voucher from the bartender and scan it at the machines to get a tasting pour.

One thing that the LAS Centurion Lounge wins over its SFO counterpart is the lack of a view at the SFO lounge. At the LAS location, you can look out onto the runway and watch some planes push back if you were lucky. Here at SFO, you get a glorious view of…

the wonderful terminal beneath you.. :(

At around T-45, we departed the lounge and were onward to Japan! Our gate was right around the corner and boarding had already started when we got there.

SFO-HND UA875

The 777-200 that would chariot us over to Tokyo

We were departing from gate 92 which is coincidentally right around the corner from the SFO Centurion Lounge and the first gate of Boarding Area G of the international terminal!

UA875 SFO-HND
Depart SFO: 7:30PM
Arrive HND: 10:35PM +1 day
Economy Plus Row 19

At check in, row 19 on the 777-200 Version 2 opened up. The plane is configured in a 3-3-3 in the Economy cabin. Since it was the only row completely empty, we took a little gamble and selected both aisles. More on that later.

Row 19 is normally a bassinet row so I was wary that we had a chance to sit next to a baby for 11 hours, but luckily that did not happen. Being a bulkhead row, there was even more legroom than normal E+ seats. I would have preferred row 20, which is one of four pairs of 2 seat rows on the plane. But those seats were taken well before T-24.

I'm 5'8" for those that want a reference point.

Unfortunately closer to departure, someone did end up choosing our middle seat. :(

PLOT TWIST: But as my weird luck would have it, we ended up having the entire row to ourselves for the ride over to Tokyo. Long story short: the passenger became unruly and grabbed a flight attendant prompting the purser to insist she be deplaned.

The flight was pleasant enough, after all of the drama. Sorry I didn't take any pictures of the food or much of the plane. (Oops, too distracted by what was unfolding right in front of usu) The IFE selection was very good and kept me pretty entertained for the duration of the flight.

So so tired but excited to finally arrive!

Our plane landed a little before 11PM and we darted off as soon as we could. The last train to leave Haneda to go to Tokyo left at 12:10AM. We got to immigration and BAM! crowds and crowds of people were queuing up. By the time we cleared through, wouldn’t you know, it was 12:15AM. :( Damn that late departure!

One of the things I liked about flying on UA875 was the ability for it to make jetlag and time zone changes a tad bit more bearable. Departing at 7:30PM and arriving at 11PM, I somehow managed to stay up the entire flight and was able to fall asleep pretty quickly after settling into our Airbnb. It let us be fully rested to start the trip the next morning.

Now that we've finally made it to Tokyo, the real trip report can begin. Stay tuned for our days in Tokyo! Thanks for reading so far everyone!

Full report/post: HERE

Offline benjie1305

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2016, 07:19:59 AM »
What in the world led the person next to you to go ahead and grab the FA?
Work hard, Play harder!

Offline reverted

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2016, 04:17:46 PM »
What in the world led the person next to you to go ahead and grab the FA?

Poor choices and bad decisions? Hah. It was a misunderstanding, on the passenger's part, about what the FA was saying regarding their carry on luggage and where to stow it. After some screaming was done, the passenger grossly overreacted and grabbed the FA and pulled her, trying to 'get her name for the complaint.'

Offline reverted

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2016, 04:18:08 PM »
A good night’s rest after the long flight from San Francisco was just what we all needed to kick off our first day in Tokyo. The plan for our first full day was do some cherry blossom viewing, a stop at Tokyo Station for lunch and heading up to Ueno Park and Ikebukuro!

Excuse the poor lighting in some of the pics. Most of the day was overcast or drizzling so it didn't make for good lighting!

Yasukuni Shrine

The first stop of the day was Yasukuni Shrine, a Shinto shrine that is dedicated to those who lost their lives in service to the Empire of Japan. It was a quick walk from the Kudanshita Station.

One of the main reasons I wanted to come to Yasukuni was that it housed Tokyo’s representative cherry blossom tree! When the first bloom opens up on this particular tree, the cherry blossom season has officially started in Tokyo!

The representative cherry tree wrapped up and blooming!

It was my first time seeing cherry blossoms so it was pretty exciting! The temple grounds also had a Japanese military and war museum, Yushukan, as well as its main worship hall.

The main worhsip hall of Yasukuni

Some gratuitous cherry blossom pics

After snapping quite a few more pictures,  it was time to hop over to Tokyo Station for lunch at one of my favorite spots to eat, Rokurinsha!

Rokurinsha is located near the Yaesu Exit of Tokyo Station in the famous Ramen Street area of the station's underground mall. It's known for their tsukemen which is dip ramen.

You order from this vending machine and give the ticket to the worker! Efficient!

The line is often quite long but it moves fairly quickly considering how many people are in it. I think we waited about 35 minutes this time. Once you are seated and give your tickets to the worker, you are brought your food in moments!

Yummy yummy tsukemen!

FYI: There is a gift shop right across from Rokurinsha that has the biggest selection of Kit Kats that I saw on the trip. Take a look:

Next on the cherry blossom tour is Ueno Park. Only a few trees had started blooming when we visited so I can only imagine how gorgeous the entire park, lined with sakura, would be if we were there during peak bloom!

Enjoy some of the pics I managed to get while there. For more, check out the full post HERE!

Ikebukuro & Dinner in Shibuya!

We headed up to Ikebukuro which is a big shopping and entertainment district. One of the main reasons we hopped up here was to visit the large Pokemon Center. We all grew up watching, collecting and loving the series and it was amazing to see that the love is still going strong for it here in Tokyo.

We also made a quick stop at Tokyu Hands department store to stock up Dr. Grip pens that I use on a daily basis.

Also found these cute Disney ones to send back home as gifts

Later that night, we headed over to Shibuya and some sightseeing, the famous crossing and the Hachiko statue! After walking around, it was time for dinner at Han no Daidokoro Dogenzaka, a yakiniku restaurant that serves premium Yamagata beef.

This would be my first time trying this sort of meat and boy oh boy was it delicious! I can only imagine what real Kobe beef will taste like now. I guess that will be on the list for the next trip!

After a veryyy filling meal and several rounds of beer, we rolled our way back to Ebisu and called it an early night. Our next day would be an early one as we tackle Tokyo DisneySea! Stay tuned for Part 5!

For the full post and more pics, check it out HERE!

Offline cholent

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2016, 06:06:49 PM »
!!!

Sent from my SD4930UR using Tapatalk

Don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers

Offline reverted

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
Part 5 - Tokyo DisneySea
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2016, 04:44:41 PM »
The next installment is posted HERE

Didn't know how interested y'all would be about a full day at Tokyo Disney so head over there if you want to read about it :P

Here's some pics from the day. Otherwise, stay tuned for another day of exploring Tokyo.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 05:09:22 PM by reverted »

Online username

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
  • Programs: ┌──────────────────┐ │───> Ữ₴ΣЯИΛΜӘ <─── │ └──────────────────┘
^^^

Offline mgoldhammer18

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: American Airlines, Citi thank you, British Avios, Hilton, SPG, AMEX Platinum, Jetblue
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2016, 07:21:25 AM »
Thanks for posting the pics, always wanted to go to disney tokyo

Offline MosheD

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2016, 08:54:10 AM »
Great report thus far!
My roommate has been stalking about Tokyo/Japan for some time now so great to see a TR.
He claims they are years ahead of US technologically. Is that true from your experience?
Also, welcome! We hope for more valuable input from you in the future. Great start.
And finally, if I may say so, nice looking blog

Offline reverted

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2016, 02:32:31 PM »
Thanks for posting the pics, always wanted to go to disney tokyo

It's amazing! I'm a big Disney fan and it's come to be one of my favorite parks! It should definitely stay on your list